• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The enemies in this game don't seem as ferocious as before, it seems they're much more set to wait for you to sneak up on them instead of being more proactive, but I haven't played Pikmin 1 or 2 in awhile so maybe I'm misremembering things.

There also seems to be less of them and they re-spawn slower.

Xellos

Played through seven in-game days, but I haven't made much progress on the story yet. I'm out of practice managing my Pikmin squads. Great game, though! It's living up to my expectations so far.

Jackano

You did that during the chase sequence? That part was incredibly rough/stressful.

You need to find inspiration in the second episode of the first season of Stargate Atlantis.
Make the boss running into circles. After the first day opening one or two shortcuts in the cave and beating ennemies it's easy to make Brittany running to one part of the area, then waiting for the boss, then running away to the opposite way of the cave.

First day I took red and rock pikmins, second day more blue ones and mainly yellow ones. (can't remember if it took, me one more day just to exit the cave, thought).
That was my second run, no way to know how to handle this stage this way on your first run of course!

CoolS

Just beat it with all the fruit in 38 days. Loved it, I think Pikmin 2 may be my favorite but this is pretty close. Wonderful game that anyone with a Wii U should play. Now bring on the DLC Shiggy.

Also,
fuck Louie
About that spoiler:
Seriously! I haven't played Pikmin2 so I don't know about hus role there. But they made him so unlikabke in this one. I hate him!

For people looking for physical copies, if you didn't preorder, good luck. Nintendo seems to be pushing digital downloads by making physical copies of their games hard to fine. If it's not Mario, it probably has a low print run.

CoolS

For people looking for physical copies, if you didn't preorder, good luck. Nintendo seems to be pushing digital downloads by making physical copies of their games hard to fine. If it's not Mario, it probably has a low print run.
Local store in Germany had like 10 copies. Guess it's different everywhere?

SegaManAU

Gold Member
You are fine. The game is very lenient with throwing fruit at you.

You'll only be in danger of failing if you somehow run out of juice. Which means several days with no fruit being found. Even if that ended up happening, you can always go back a day or two to try again with a renewed focus on fruit-collection. I wouldn't worry about it.

Same way as any Wii U game: press home, go to Miiverse to make a post, you'll see screens of what was on your TV and GamePad when you hit the home button. You can share them then, and then copy them off the Miiverse website once they're posted.

Thanks guys! =)

oatmeal

Banned

I was at both Best Buy and Walmart today and they both had several copies.

Side note, I'm on Day 22...still no Blue or Pink Pikmin :(

About 23 fruits...I'm not exactly rushing...

Drago

I'm not getting this until next week at the earliest. Went to Gamestop and they didn't have any non reserve copies in so they sold me an online copy instead, with the worst shipping speed available.

I only had to pay $12 for everything though, so I guess it's not all bad. I just really want to play this now. :(

Obviously quantities vary by store location. I'm just saying in general, print copies will be harder to find than many people are used to. Gamestop, for example won't have many non reserve games, and this is likely a trend.

Something that really surprised me were the credits. I thought that the game was made by a huge number of people. But after 3 minutes the staff roll was over...just imagine a Pikmin made with a team size like Zelda!!

Question: does the time limit make the game difficult? This is one of the reasons why I didn't really care for Pikmin because the whole game was basically on a time limit and that is one of my biggest gaming pet peeves.

As a gamer who similarly loathes time limits, neither Pikmin nor Pikmin 3 are bad about it. In Pikmin 1 you have a ton of time to complete your task, with the time limit only really feeling imposing rather than being difficult to work around. In Pikmin 3 the time limit is even more lenient, as it essentially extends every time you collect fruit, with some fruit giving as much as three days.

I can keep exploring as long as I have juice, right? Or is there a day limit? I'm slow and I think I'm taking more days than needed to do some tasks D:

So normally when I get a game I usually only play for like an hour or so the first day I get it. Been playing Pikmin for almost 6 hours, I can't put it down. I just got the Pink Pikmin and decided to take a break for now.

That is me, I keep restarting my day untill i get all the fruit. This is my first Pikmin experience .

I can keep exploring as long as I have juice, right? Or is there a day limit? I'm slow and I think I'm taking more days than needed to do some tasks D:

Yes. Your "day limit" is directly connected to your juice - one bottle of juice equals one day.

As a result, there is technically a day limit as there is a finite amount of fruit. I'd imagine it's pretty high, though, easily over 100. EDIT: Or maybe it's 99, as stated by the poster right above? I dunno I'm still playing through the game.

Yep don't worry. The game provides juice for 99 days.

Yes. Your "day limit" is directly connected to your juice - one bottle of juice equals one day.

As a result, there is technically a day limit as there is a finite amount of fruit. I'd imagine it's pretty high, though, easily over 100.

Thanks! I was worried since it took me 2 days to
connect the bridge in the snow area and reunite with Brittany
. After that I wasted half a day because I didn't notice I could open a new path to explore and ended early...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Ausgamers: 8,6/10
http://www.ausgamers.com/games/pikmin-3/review/
Pikmin 3 is quintessential, classic Nintendo, the Nintendo we know and love, the one that makes us buy every console regardless of our doubts and hang-ups. It’s not the killer app the system is begging for, but if you have shelled out for Nintendo’s new console it’s the best exclusive currently available.

Examiner: 9/10
http://www.examiner.com/article/review-pikmin-3-brings-new-life-to-wii-u
Pikmin 3 blossoms and marks a new beginning for Wii U. With its accessible gameplay, colorful cast of characters, and delightful music, Pikmin 3 brings the perfect amount of Nintendo magic to Wii U.

masud

Banned
Beat the 2nd boss today using the gamepad (off tv) I really don't get the complaints about aiming, the game has lock on ffs!

linko9

Well, just finished it 100%. Time said something under 11 hours, 33 days. It was a pretty good game, and it scratched the Pikmin itch, but I still think it's the weakest of the series. Certainly the prettiest at least. Final level was neat.

I was annoyed and surprised to find that the secret files don't do anything. Whatever it turns out to be is sure to disappoint.

Xun

I absolutely love this so far, I really do.

Also maybe I'm nuts, but I'm getting a slight Zelda vibe from how it feels.

It's probably the lock on.

Does anyone know if there is anyway to see which memo's have been missed. If I look on the gamepad im missing 1 but is there anyway to know which area this is in or do I have to trawl through them all?

Jackano

Ah, I don't think to have seen it mentionned here but indeed, I've recognized several musical bits from Zelda:
Some jingles sfx like when you land on a new area in the morning;
The discover of some pikmin particularities (for example the cutscene when you have your first pikmin burning) that is the "getting an item" Zelda jingle;
And probably others I can't remember ATM.

I'm sur I'm not imagining it but will like some confirmation!

Thanks! I was worried since it took me 2 days to
connect the bridge in the snow area and reunite with Brittany
. After that I wasted half a day because I didn't notice I could open a new path to explore and ended early...

I think it took me about 2-3 days as well. I was completely lost and befuddled. Thankfully I'm not alone =p

eXistor

I don't think I've ever seen better looking fruit in a game. So scrump-diddly-umptious!

/edit: Also, I'm sure people have been speculating about this, but Alph is (I'll just spoiler just in case)
Olimar's son right? I mean he looks a lot like him and even looks like the clay figures they made for Pikmin 2. And if I'm not mistaken Alph even comments on his dad. Potential DLC story? Pikmin 4 to star Olimar's daughter and wife?

Himself

Beat the 2nd boss today using the gamepad (off tv) I really don't get the complaints about aiming, the game has lock on ffs!

Yeah, I'm thinking about dropping the wiimote/nunchuck and just going gamepad. I forgot how annoying the wiimote is and I feel like I have better camera (and thus combat) control with the gamepad. See how that works out.

Alpha_eX

I don't think I've ever seen better looking fruit in a game. So scrump-diddly-umptious!

/edit: Also, I'm sure people have been speculating about this, but Alph is (I'll just spoiler just in case)
Olimar's son right? I mean he looks a lot like him and even looks like the clay figures they made for Pikmin 2. And if I'm not mistaken Alph even comments on his dad. Potential DLC story? Pikmin 4 to star Olimar's daughter and wife?

No. If he was then surely he'd know his
own father
when the name is mention in the game or show emotion that he was missing/captured ect.

Semajer

He's not,
they're different species from different planets. Alph mentions his grandfather Drake in one of the conversations, and Olimar mentions bringing home presents for his children. Not to mention that they meet, and nothing about any relation is ever mentioned, or hinted at.

jmls1121

Banned
I absolutely love this so far, I really do.

I'm getting it to. It could be the Z targeting, but there are more puzzles and the story to gameplay structure is similar to the recent console Zeldas.

Pikmin 3 |OT| You Can Lock On, Press R to Aim, You Can Charge, Read The Fucking Notes - Especially the 'Go Here' one, and you don't have to return to the ship every night

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, I'm thinking about dropping the wiimote/nunchuck and just going gamepad. I forgot how annoying the wiimote is and I feel like I have better camera (and thus combat) control with the gamepad. See how that works out.

I play on the gamepad in the story and with wiimote in the missions and I really dislike the camera control with the wiimote. The gamepad just take a little bit more time to get the proper grip of the controls, but once you get (and learn about holding R to move just the aiming) it I feel that it is more fluent.

Edit: new page so I will put also this here:
Pikmin 3 |OT| You Can Lock On, Press R to Aim, You Can Charge, Read The Fucking Notes - Especially the 'Go Here' one, and you don't have to return to the ship every night

AGoodODST

Eh, I don't think so.

Alph is from Koppai, Olimar is from Hocotate. They are a different species are they not? Plus, Olimar's notes talk about bringing stuff back to his son, who one would assume is back on Hocotate, not Koppai.

Ein Bear

I guess I'm not making myself clear? See how he gets all his pikmin to go at him in this video? Theres something he does at 6:15 that makes the screen have a different graphical effect. How do you even lock on to things? Pressing ZR does not work. The game never made this clear which is very frustrating as it seems to be a very critical move.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/08/04/pikmin-3-walkthrough-sandbelching-meerslug-boss-battle-part-9?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ign%2Fwii-u-videos+(IGN+Wii+U+Videos)

You lock on with ZL, then can order your Pikmin to charge whilst locked-on by pressing B.

Edit: Oops, didn't notice there was another page hah!

kubus

> Nintendo makes game with handholding and lengthy tutorials
> People whine about handholding and lengthy tutorials

> Nintendo makes game without handholding, makes tutorial optional
> People can't figure out the controls, whine about shitty controls

Poor Shiggy.

Relevant:
http://i.imgur.com/ViiLG.png

afoni

Banned
This game is actually really handholdy, but it's one of those loose grips and they have a really sweaty hand so you're constantly feeling awkward about it.

Shahadan

Most tutorials are in notes you don't have to get, so I wouldn't call it handholdy.
Some people consider the start to have heavy handholding... well teaching newcomers the basic of a gameplay that is not obvious at all is not handholdy.

If you want handholding, buy M&L Dream Team and your soul will suffer a hundred handholdy deaths

CoolS

Just finished the story mode. Amazing game, so much fun! The last boss was a slaughter though. And the last level was great as well, although it was almost tooo nerve-wracking for me.
100% completion in 39 days. Ingame clock says 7:39 hours, activity lock is at about 13 hours which sounds more like my actual playtime.

About the ending:
yeah, there has to be some kind of DLC planned. Especially with the whole 'maybe it wasn't an accident after all..' And the crash at the very end. Looking forward to how this will work out and what the secret memos are for
Oh and I still don't like you, Louie!

Top Bottom