• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

kubus

You can even skip the dialogue if you want to. Just press B when the text appears and press B again and it'll go away.

After explaining the basic controls at the start of the game, the rest of the "tutorial" is optional. If you want to discover everything by yourself, just don't pick up the data files. And even if you do pick them up, it's not like the game forces you into a "tutorial cutscene" or something. It's just an image you can click away.

So no, I don't see how it's handholdy.

Yagharek

The game is barely hand-holding at all. You can pick up yellow notes and read them yourself. It only really forces you for the first day or two and even then it is hardly intrusive.

afoni

Banned
I did say it was a sweaty hand. It's not the best hand in the world to be holding, but you're still gripping that clammy thing.

afoni

Banned
The hand is sweaty, so sometimes it loses its grip on your hand because of the lubrication from the sweat.

It's a complex theory, but it does make sense.

Yeah, I'm thinking about dropping the wiimote/nunchuck and just going gamepad. I forgot how annoying the wiimote is and I feel like I have better camera (and thus combat) control with the gamepad. See how that works out.

The camera is without doubt better with the gamepad.
I tried after beating the game with the gamepad with the wii controller and even if you can move the cursor everywhere the camera does not (like with the gamepad) which feels frustrating and the soft lock it has is not good either.
I still have problems with the gamepad lock on though, like it needs to put the name of the thing you are locking on for it to send your pikmins with B. And the person that decided that moving the pad does the same thing as B needs to get is priorities straight because it's a horrible decission only there to have some motion moves in the normal control method.

linko9

Anyone know of any speedruns for this game? I figure the game's been out long enough in Japan, usually something's popped up by now for this sort of game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And the person that decided that moving the pad does the same thing as B needs to get is priorities straight because it's a horrible decission only there to have some motion moves in the normal control method.

I hate it because you have to be careful when you put down the gamepad, specially during the final countdown. It happened several times that the pikmins were dismissed like that. On the other hand, coming after a wiimote session in the missions the "shake to charge" ca me naturally for me when I picked up the gamepad again.
And if they went that way they could have gone full way and enable the motion aiming also for the gamepad. :D

eXistor

He's not,
they're different species from different planets. Alph mentions his grandfather Drake in one of the conversations, and Olimar mentions bringing home presents for his children. Not to mention that they meet, and nothing about any relation is ever mentioned, or hinted at.
True, I haven't thought it through I guess.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've been playing this over the last three or so days and I don't find the tutorialisation intrusive or overbearing in the slightest. Obviously you do have to jump through hoops covering the basics, and it doesn't throw veterans right in the deep end, but so far I've found Pikmin 3 does it right by integrating these tutorials into fun gameplay that you have to engage with mechanics and doesn't force you to sit through pages of text explaining just how to play. Yes it has the data pads, and yes it has text, but it's always very short and concise. Hell, the data pads are always just one single page.

Otherwise, the game is sublime. Really, really good. Only complaints that jump to mind include the obvious differences between GamePad and pointer controls. Analogue aiming is fucking rubbish compared to a pointer in my opinion, though that's just the nature of the pointer being awesome, but I do really miss analogue camera control. That and the path finding, which is occasionally pretty terrible. Maybe it's done for mechanical reasons, but it would be nice if trailing Pikmin acknowledged your path and hotspots so even if they're lagging behind they still generally get to where you are. They're kinda built to just continually walk at whatever location you are on the map, and so it's easy for them to outright ignore stuff like jump pads if they were trailing that little bit too far behind.

I was playing story mode on launch day when my fiance got home and asked if there was multiplayer (she's never played a Pikmin game before).

We fired up mission mode and now she's obsessed with the leader boards. We spent like three hours last night trying to platinum rank the missions, and it's only a matter of time before she wants to go back for high scores. I haven't been able to touch story mode since.

We platinum'd the third mission last night and we watched a replay on the gamepad, the amount of coordination going on melts my mind. And you're supposed to pull off the same thing by yourself?!

Shahadan

I was playing story mode on launch day when my fiance got home and asked if there was multiplayer (she's never played a Pikmin game before).

We fired up mission mode and now she's obsessed with the leader boards. We spent like three hours last night trying to platinum rank the missions, and it's only a matter of time before she wants to go back for high scores. I haven't been able to touch story mode since.

We platinum'd the third mission last night and we watched a replay on the gamepad, the amount of coordination going on melts my mind. And you're supposed to pull off the same thing by yourself?!

Give me your fiancee ;(

What in the world is Nintendo doing with their surround sound support on the Wii U? The audio mixing is all over the place with this game.

(I love this game.)

braves01

Banned
On part 1 ~4:05 Alph can attack things? How do you do this? I completed the game and never realised this was possible. Do you just press A on something when you have no pikmin?

That's how it worked in the old games and in pretty sure it's the same in this one too.

For anyone interested, I found this 10 day run
HOW

I'm not getting all the fruit and...oh, whatever. I'm about eight or so hours into the game and
just got the blue pikmin plus a couple of days after that.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game, EatChildren!

eorl

Banned
We've just posted up our review on AusGamers, 8.6 and definitely worth it. I picked the game up today and by golly gosh is it awesome. I have never seen such a beautiful, brightly coloured and detailed game before. It even had my girlfriend (who is a photographer by trade) commenting on the vibrant colours, especially the quite large centipede.

masud

Banned
I've been playing this over the last three or so days and I don't find the tutorialisation intrusive or overbearing in the slightest. Obviously you do have to jump through hoops covering the basics, and it doesn't throw veterans right in the deep end, but so far I've found Pikmin 3 does it right by integrating these tutorials into fun gameplay that you have to engage with mechanics and doesn't force you to sit through pages of text explaining just how to play. Yes it has the data pads, and yes it has text, but it's always very short and concise. Hell, the data pads are always just one single page.

Otherwise, the game is sublime. Really, really good. Only complaints that jump to mind include the obvious differences between GamePad and pointer controls. Analogue aiming is fucking rubbish compared to a pointer in my opinion, though that's just the nature of the pointer being awesome, but I do really miss analogue camera control. That and the path finding, which is occasionally pretty terrible. Maybe it's done for mechanical reasons, but it would be nice if trailing Pikmin acknowledged your path and hotspots so even if they're lagging behind they still generally get to where you are. They're kinda built to just continually walk at whatever location you are on the map, and so it's easy for them to outright ignore stuff like jump pads if they were trailing that little bit too far behind.

I really think it is. The games trying to punish you running too fast for your (non flower) pikmin to keep up.

georly

So i got the last 2 code digits and then immediately beat the last boss. Is there a way I can see my 10 digit code without replaying the last day?

Also, i'm sure it's been asked, but is the code unique to everyone or is it a generic code?

CoolS

So i got the last 2 code digits and then immediately beat the last boss. Is there a way I can see my 10 digit code without replaying the last day?

Also, i'm sure it's been asked, but is the code unique to everyone or is it a generic code?
It seems to be a different code for everyone. I suspect we might hear something about it in the Direct tomorrow.

Chao

You can acces it through the game pad menu in the "other" section If I recall correctly

Tom Chick gave the game 3/5, which translates to 60% on Metacritic. I know people will use the "everybody has a different opinion" argument, but this is the same clown who gave the Last of Us a 3/5 and Halo 4 a 1/5, which single-handedly caused their Metacritic scores to drop exponentially. Oddly, the review was overwhelmingly positive and yet he gave it a "middling" score. It's like these people don't even proofread their own reviews.

georly

You can acces it through the game pad menu in the "other" section If I recall correctly

But once i beat the game, i can't enter a level again without replaying the last level. Once I start that level, will I still have the 2 code pieces I got on that last day, or will I have to get them again?

Tom Chick gave the game 3/5, which translates to 60% on Metacritic. I know people will use the "everybody has a different opinion" argument, but this is the same clown who gave the Last of Us a 3/5 and Halo 4 a 1/5, which single-handedly caused their Metacritic scores to drop exponentially. Oddly, the review was overwhelmingly positive and yet he gave it a "middling" score. It's like these people don't even proofread their own reviews.

The Armond White of gaming?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Ok, I just started playing Pikmin 3 last night and it's a blast to play. I got up to the part where I met up with my female shipmate and I have one question: how do I split up into two teams to multitask? I'm using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk combo to control.

Ok, I just started playing Pikmin 3 last night and it's a blast to play. I got up to the part where I met up with my female shipmate and I have one question: how do I split up into two teams to multitask? I'm using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk combo to control.

Look in the pamphlet.

JPickford

Throw the shipmate like a Pikmin and then press Y to switch control.

That's why, for the most part, I've given up on review scores and come to my own conclusion by watching videos.

In my opinion, content amount aside and lack of online play, its tough to find anything wrong with this game. It's a near perfect game, imo.

Pitmonkey

Decided to back track on day 7 to the first round and harvest some fruit and lost 18 pikmin because they kept getting stuck.

Going to replay day 7 tonight in hopes it resets those stats. How do you use the command to get all the Pikmin to return to one location?

Decided to back track on day 7 to the first round and harvest some fruit and lost 18 pikmin because they kept getting stuck.

Going to replay day 7 tonight in hopes it resets those stats. How do you use the command to get all the Pikmin to return to one location?

I think you misunderstood. there is no such command. The command is that the group you are commanding runs towards one goal. (lock on and dismiss, check the manual)

My Pikmin never get stuck. Just wait for 2 seconds at a tight turn when your Pikmin aren't fully powered (flower on the head, then they walk faster).

When the day nears its end, use the Map to locate lonely Pikmin and collect them with the captains. You don't have to bring them to the ship, just have them under control. Look at the counter at the top right when the day ends. If it shows a 0, everything is fine.

I bought Pikmin 2 for Wii and it arrived today.

Might replay 1 and start 2.

I might just go through the series. Gives me an excuse to play 3 again.

Started this last night and my gawd.. its wonderful. This is my first proper Pikmin game (Nintendo Land mini game was my first Pikmin experience) I love it. I don't have any nunchucks so I am gamepad only and my only complaint is the left stick is really sensitive.

oh well.

such a great little game.

Top Bottom