• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

mrklaw

MrArseFace
(it is kind of annoying that the game only really allows a single story mode slot). .

does it have different saves per WiiU account? Nintendo games tend to be a bit mixed with this - sometimes multiple slots per game but that save is shared across accounts. I just want to make sure we can have separate saves as long as each of us has a different account.

nice impressions, thanks. How 'best' are the wiimote controls? Is gamepad broken or just a little worse? I like the idea of moving characters around using the map, and playing off-TV. But I don't want to be spinning plates with wiimote+nunchuck+stylus+gamepad.
Seems odd that you can't move while aiming with the gamepad - doesn't it use both sticks? you only have two 'sticks' with the wiimote - pointing and nunchuk so why different?

kubus

Ohh mannn I am so hyped for this game! I finished Pikmin 2 a couple of years ago but never beat Pikmin 1 because I got too stressed out due to the time limit. But I'm gonna start again this week and hopefully beat it before Pikmin 3 comes out :D.

I also just bought a pack of these on eBay:

Ub59Y2r.jpg

They're the cloth patches that the Nintendo execs were wearing in their breast pockets at E3 and on the Nintendo Directs.

Hopefully it'll arrive in time for the release of the game. I plan on wearing them the same way as the Nintendo execs in the video game store I work at on the release date :D

Farmboy

does it have different saves per WiiU account? Nintendo games tend to be a bit mixed with this - sometimes multiple slots per game but that save is shared across accounts. I just want to make sure we can have separate saves as long as each of us has a different account.

Yes, it does. Again, sorry to cause concern. It's just that Pikmin 3 is the first Wii U game I own that requires you to switch accounts in order to access different save slots. But rest assured: that will work.

nice impressions, thanks. How 'best' are the wiimote controls? Is gamepad broken or just a little worse? I like the idea of moving characters around using the map, and playing off-TV. But I don't want to be spinning plates with wiimote+nunchuck+stylus+gamepad.
Seems odd that you can't move while aiming with the gamepad - doesn't it use both sticks? you only have two 'sticks' with the wiimote - pointing and nunchuk so why different?

- I started out playing with the GamePad and it works... okay. It's not completely broken or anything. It's just that I couldn't really switch back after trying the Remote + Nunchuk controls. Aiming the Pikmin is just that bit harder without the pointer, which isn't that big of a problem until you get into a hectic battle (boss or otherwise), at which point it's pretty frustrating. In short: not broken, but more than a little worse.

- It's possible to use the Remote + Nunchuk while playing off-TV. I guess this requires a Wii Remote Plus, though, as obviously the Pad doesn't have its own sensor bar. Works remarkably well, even though some buttons are needlessly switched around.

- When playing on the GamePad (or Pro Controller, I'm assuming), the right analog stick is used for camera control only. It's a bit of a weird choice to not simply use it for aiming, I agree, but I do understand why they decided against making it operate like the C-stick in the Cube-versions: that would make the Pad/Pro-control scheme just too different from the Remote + Nunchuk scheme. I actually missed the camera control a little when switching to Remote + Nunchuk and found myself still using the right analog stick once every so often. This is easy to do, as a simple press of a button on either contoller instantly shifts control over to it.

- Similarly but subtly different: when using the Remote + Nunchuck, touching the GamePad touch screen won't switch you over to GamePad control completely, but it will instantly pause the game so you can examine the map and select a 'Go Here' point for your current squad. Trust me, you will be making use of the 'Go Here' function on the GamePad a lot, regardless of which control scheme you chose. It's just so useful. There's no real need to get the stylus out for this, though: fingers will do.

The following could be considered a (very minor imo) spoiler:
- At some point in the game you do gain an (optional) item that allows you and your current Pikmin-squad to 'dodge' left or right by pressing those directions on the D-pad (either on the Remote or on the GamePad). This is far more limited than the C-stick of yore, but it's a nice addition.

Risgroo

Hype is reaching critical levels for me, I still can't believe this is coming out! My order should ship on Monday, hopefully it gets here before I youtube the entire game...

Yes, it does. Again, sorry to cause concern. It's just that Pikmin 3 is the first Wii U game I own that requires you to switch accounts in order to access different save slots. But rest assured: that will work.

Are Bulbmin in/out? Hoping they're still in challenge mode somewhere.

Teknoman

Whats the deal with Gamestop letting you download the digital version in full if you pay off your physical preorder in full over the weekend?

Isnt that essentially getting a game for free, or is there something i'm missing (a trial version of sorts)?

EDIT: Nevermind, its probably preorder the digital version and get to download early. Probably misread. Still dont know if I should go digital or physical since I really like the box art and disc art for Nintendo games.

klier

mine too, except for all the 30 cent VC games, and a few others like Super Mario World and EarthBound, of course. :(

Well, and New Super Luigi U, if that counts.

Exactly like this for me too. Can't wait for my Wii U relaunch next week :D

Shiggy

Game credits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTL42dT0vVM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUVNPMJhruxR3BwNYa-e0eig

Kyoto-Ninja said:
I pretty much think that Monolith Kyoto studio is going to be a straight support studio. Supplying artists to games that need to be finished and are missing a few artist.

The animation was Nintendo SPD / Spooky Graphics / Digital Media Lab. Most of the graphic artists seem to come from the NSMBU team. No wonder this game had no chance of being released on time.

Not really too big of a production staff actually.

Yuterald

Ugh, so excited. I'm trying to mop up the post game content in Pikmin 2 before this drops but I'm running out of time (and SMT IV is taking ALL of my time!). I took time off from work to play this game. Should be glorious!

D-e-f-

Banned
Hype has done it again.

Had it pre-ordered (and pre-paid) at one place (wowhd.co.uk) which takes notoriously long to ship things and delivery also takes time (still waiting on my pre-ordered copy of Game & Wario!). Now I jumped on the GAME.co.uk pre-order for quite a bit more which has the Flying Pikmin keyring and also means I'll get the game within 5-ish days. Gonna sell the sealed copy of the other one on eBay locally hoping to turn a profit as it was very cheap (the reason I ordered it there in the first place).

DarkWish

So am I correct in that you can pre-order the digital version of this game at ANY GameStop today or tomorrow to get it a day early? Or do I have to go to one that has the event where you can play the game?

zroid

Banned
So am I correct in that you can pre-order the digital version of this game at ANY GameStop today or tomorrow to get it a day early? Or do I have to go to one that has the event where you can play the game?

oh shit lol, I totally forgot this was happening

thanks for the reminder :p

Just pre-ordered this at GameStop, but I'm worried they did it wrong. The event was there, and they said I'd get it early, but he only had me pay a $5 deposit, am I gonna have to go in on 8/3 to pick up my code and pay it off.. My receipt says I get it 8/4 though, and it doesn't say anything about it being digital. Can you guys confirm that it went similarly for you?

The sku on my item is 605018. Can you guys who also got a digital order confirm that yours is the same sku number?

The wait here in the US is getting tough...

So if I'm reading the consensus right so far, the "definitive" control scheme is wiimote +nunchuck with gamepad as map? Too bad the pad isn't used more innovatively, but not surprising considering the game's Wii origins.

ASIS

So if I'm reading the consensus right so far, the "definitive" control scheme is wiimote +nunchuck with gamepad as map? Too bad the pad isn't used more innovatively, but not surprising considering the game's Wii origins.

The Pad's true innovation is true offer that extra convenience to the player. I can't imagine a scenario where it could bring controls to a new levels like the Wiimote+Nunchuck did.

Defect

I'm going to use the Gamepad with offscreen play. I can't stand wiimote and nunchuck controls.

I can't wait for this game!

D-e-f-

Banned

Well, how else would you use the pad? Full touch interface for everything? Hardly more innovative and possible less precise or functional. I think the hybrid method really seems to be the best way to do it. You get to use the touch screen for large scale commands and as a strategic map and at the same time you have the quick and precise pointer controls for the nitty gritty on the ground tactics.

Well, how else would you use the pad? Full touch interface for everything? Hardly more innovative and possible less precise or functional. I think the hybrid method really seems to be the best way to do it. You get to use the touch screen for large scale commands and as a strategic map and at the same time you have the quick and precise pointer controls for the nitty gritty on the ground tactics.

Ah, I didn't realize the screen was used for macro stuff too, that sounds pretty cool, actually. I guess my comment reflected a broader concern that yet again the pad wasn't being used well, but it sounds like it really does add value to the game. Can't wait!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Ah, I didn't realize the screen was used for macro stuff too, that sounds pretty cool, actually. I guess my comment reflected a broader concern that yet again the pad wasn't being used well, but it sounds like it really does add value to the game. Can't wait!

Yeah, when using wiimote+nunchuk, tapping the pad screen pauses the game world. You may scroll around to get an overview, and set destinations for the captains to keep them in motion for multitasking.

The pad can also be used as a thematically appropriate camera, to point around at a captain's-eye-view of the environment.

Ohh mannn I am so hyped for this game! I finished Pikmin 2 a couple of years ago but never beat Pikmin 1 because I got too stressed out due to the time limit. But I'm gonna start again this week and hopefully beat it before Pikmin 3 comes out :D.

I also just bought a pack of these on eBay:

Ub59Y2r.jpg

They're the cloth patches that the Nintendo execs were wearing in their breast pockets at E3 and on the Nintendo Directs.

Hopefully it'll arrive in time for the release of the game. I plan on wearing them the same way as the Nintendo execs in the video game store I work at on the release date :D

I couldn't help myself, as soon as I saw these, I had to purchase them myself. They are just too adorable.

Ten bucks and free shipping was a great deal. They will go great with my Kirby Epic Yarn patches.

LAA

How are people going to play this?

Usually I would just prefer to play using the gamepad alone, seeing its meant to be the big draw about the Wii U and all...
But it seems Wiimote (plus?) + Nunchuck seem the best option.
I see people using the gamepad as a map too, but that just seems really awkward to me...

D-e-f-

Banned

Usually I would just prefer to play using the gamepad alone, seeing its meant to be the big draw about the Wii U and all...
I see people using the gamepad as a map too, but that just seems really awkward to me...

Why does it seem awkward? The game was designed to be best played with Wiimote+Nunchuk and the GamePad as a interactive map alongside it. The GamePad as the device in itself isn't the big draw or point of the system, it's everything together.

Wiimote controls in the New Play Control versions of Pikmin and Pikmin 2 were already a revelation so using the refined version for Pikmin 3 with the added benefits of the GamePad seems like the obvious choice.

Wii remote/nunchuck. Playing through Pikmin 1&2 with these was perfection.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
For my first week of vacation I'm renting an appartment in the Alps, with a tiny TV that doesn't have HDMI. I'll play Pikmin with the wiimote on the GamePad acting as the TV :)

LAA

Why does it seem awkward? The game was designed to be best played with Wiimote+Nunchuk and the GamePad as a interactive map alongside it. The GamePad as the device in itself isn't the big draw or point of the system, it's everything together.

Wiimote controls in the New Play Control versions of Pikmin and Pikmin 2 were already a revelation so using the refined version for Pikmin 3 with the added benefits of the GamePad seems like the obvious choice.

It just seems awkward having to control the captain/pikmin using a wii mote/nunchuk, then using another one to look at the map.
I dont really know for sure how it works though, I'm just pressuming from what I've seen.

Not sure I'd say the GamePad isnt the main point of the system, I think Nintendo has a problem if they cant even show the most unique thing about their console is being fully utilized. Not to say I dont mind using past controllers on it, I think its a great idea in some cases, but I think its confusing the message of having a 2 screen experience.

Wii remote/nunchuck. Playing through Pikmin 1&2 with these was perfection.

I did actually play some of Pikmin 1/2 on the Wii. Pikmin 1 sadly put me off the game, too much pressure to get everything right or start the game again, and I messed up quite early on.
Pikmin 2 I liked a hell of a lot more, I just lost motivation to play it I guess with more games coming to my attention.

D-e-f-

Banned
It just seems awkward having to control the captain/pikmin using a wii mote/nunchuk, then using another one to look at the map.
I dont really know for sure how it works though, I'm just pressuming from what I've seen.

Not sure I'd say the GamePad isnt the main point of the system, I think Nintendo has a problem if they cant even show the most unique thing about their console is being fully utilized. Not to say I dont mind using past controllers on it, I think its a great idea in some cases, but I think its confusing the message of having a 2 screen experience.

The map is constantly there, you're just looking at it. It's the definition of two screen experience. Optionally you can touch it to pause and issue macro commands to your other two captains. You're not putting the Wiimote down and picking up the GamePad to press buttons or anything. How it all comes together is the awesome part. I don't see how this confuses the two screen messaging at all. If anything, it underscores it.

LAA

The map is constantly there, you're just looking at it. It's the definition of two screen experience. Optionally you can touch it to pause and issue macro commands to your other two captains. You're not putting the Wiimote down and picking up the GamePad to press buttons or anything. How it all comes together is the awesome part. I don't see how this confuses the two screen messaging at all. If anything, it underscores it.

Oh you dont need to do anything on the gamepad?
I was under the impression you had to go to it to organize other characters or something.
I guess it may be one of those things I need to see in action to appreciate it.

D-e-f-

Banned
Oh you dont need to do anything on the gamepad?
I was under the impression you had to go to it to organize other characters or something.
I guess it may be one of those things I need to see in action to appreciate it.

You don't "have to" ... you can direct them to other areas via the screen for multitasking. We discussed this literally right above your initial post :)

Never even playted a Pikmin game before. Never even been interested in this series much. However, I may just give this title a shot.

klier

For my first week of vacation I'm renting an appartment in the Alps, with a tiny TV that doesn't have HDMI. I'll play Pikmin with the wiimote on the GamePad acting as the TV :)

You don't want to see the vibrant colors? The Gamepad screen is not colorful enough for this game. Too washed out.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You don't want to see the vibrant colors? The Gamepad screen is not colorful enough for this game. Too washed out.
I'll have the game for 3 days then go in vacation with no choice to play but on the GamePad. I'll gladly play this way!

LAA

You don't "have to" ... you can direct them to other areas via the screen for multitasking. We discussed this literally right above your initial post :)

Oops... Ha ha.
So I guess its more like... an alternate way to direct other captains without doing it on the TV I guess.
I'm OK with just the idea using the Gamepad for a map and the Wiimote/Nunchuck to control the guys on screen I guess.

Cant wait for the game though, seems like one of the first must have Wii U games.

D-e-f-

Banned
Oops... Ha ha.
So I guess its more like... an alternate way to direct other captains without doing it on the TV I guess.
I'm OK with just the idea using the Gamepad for a map and the Wiimote/Nunchuck to control the guys on screen I guess.

Cant wait for the game though, seems like one of the first must have Wii U games.

It's basically a way for you to send them to a point on that map that is not seen on screen without having to scroll over there or something similar. Basically like selecting your troops and right clicking on a spot on the mini-map in a game like StarCraft.

JP-players correct me if I'm getting this wrong.

Top Bottom