• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Yuterald

I'm trying to mop up the post game content in Pikmin 2 before this drops and I go on vacation. I'm so close to AT LEAST getting a zero death, all Treasures, and hopefully complete Piklopedia. All I have left are two caves, Dream Den and Hole Heroes, which I'm not looking forward to. God, I hate the randomized caves in Pikmin 2 (especially if you're going for zero deaths, so frustrating!). Got two questions, actually, for those who have played the final game.

1. Please, tell me that they removed the stupid random caves in Pikmin 3?

2. Are Pikmin deaths still registered and kept track of? I know there's a way to "replay" days in the third game, but say if you lost Pikmin on one day can you go back and correct your death tally, if there is one? Basically, am I going to have to reset my game (like I've done in P1 & 2) in order to get a zero death run, lol!? =D

No more caves.

You can replay any day. But if you save over it of corse all future days dissapear.

Dead pikmin are tracked.

My review will appear in an hour. Its in dutch but I did an english write up for gaf. Thought it was worth the efford as it will appear on metacritic.

Yuterald

No more caves.

You can replay any day. But if you save over it of corse all future days dissapear.

Dead pikmin are tracked.

My review will appear in an hour. Its in dutch but I did an english write up for gaf.

Thank god for the removal of caves. A little anxious about the death tracking, lol! Thanks.

The way I approached the game was: every day, I'd generally attempt to come closer to the area's boss (which is shown on your radar screen and which unlocks the next area), but I'd allow myself to be distracted by any fruit I'd find along the way or happened to spot during general exploration.

Playing this way, it cost me around 20 hours to reach the credits, but I did have around 40 pieces of fruit which I think is probably slightly above average for a first run (it is certainly way more than strictly necessary).

That left around 25 pieces of fruit for 'post-game content', which took me an additional 5-6 hours to gather. So that's significantly less time per piece of fruit. That's not just because I'd gotten the hang of the game by then, but also because I was less likely to restart a day to maximize efficiency (and minimize Pikmin death) than I was during the intial run. I also spent much less time on growing my Pikmin population (obviously, as the intial run includes the introduction of each new Pikmin species, along with short tutorial-like bits for each of them).

Of course, the quicker you rush towards the area bosses and on to the next area, the sooner you'll see the credits roll... and the more fruit you'll leave for the post-game phase. And I'm sure most people will play through the post-game phase in a similar, faster fashion, so I guess the more fruit you leave for that phase, the quicker you'll finish the game with all 66 pieces of fruit. But in general, I honestly beiieve 20-25 hours is a pretty good indicator for the average time spent to 100% the game. Many people will be faster, others will be slower.

Okey, thank you very much for your detailed answer. I hope you're right in all you've said.

Could you anyway be more specific about what other collectibles there are (which ones, how many...)? I have also heard they have removed the random caves. Can you tell me if they've replaced them with another kind of dungeon or something similar?

And about mission mode... can you confirm there are only 15 challengues? No unlockable levels when you have completed the 5 of each category?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Could you anyway be more specific about what other collectibles there are (which ones, how many...)?

And about mission mode... can you confirm there are only 15 challengues? No unlockable levels when you have completed the 5 of each category?

And if you answer these, can you be sure to put those answers in spoiler tags? Thanks!

Ha, I just realized I'll finally be using the Gamepad stand! Nunchuck+wiimote in hand, gamepad map on the coffee table to the side.

jeffers

gotta say seen a few ads for it on british tv today. twice during spongebob, during fresh prince (both on Viva) and just now on gadget show ad break. Guess ninty has let some money escape the vault

ASIS

So I've put my review (and some English impressions) in the review thread, here. I'm open to questions but I'll probably answer them tomorrow.

Thank you very much for translating your review. I do have one small question. What't the negative point you have in your review. I assume it's about AI?

Penguin

gotta say seen a few ads for it on british tv today. twice during spongebob, during fresh prince (both on Viva) and just now on gadget show ad break. Guess ninty has let some money escape the vault

I saw one during Ultimate Spider-man yesterday.

Some more shots

zlCfzRDerd0LuunKGI

itsgorgeous.gif

Aliasing is noticeable.

Anyway, something I enjoy is doing the autowalk, turning on the camera, and then looking around as I do so. It's beautiful!

The game can look gorgeous and underwhelming at once. It's crazy. This shot is a good example, I think:

zlCfzRDyI2UeDt02EP

The bricks look great, but the low-poly log above it? Not so much.

D-e-f-

Banned
GAME: Your Order Has Been Shipped!
WIIU PIKMIN (Wii U)
Pre-order

yaaay!!

let's hope it crosses the pond and arrives by Saturday and not Monday! :D

kubus

It's almost time!! So much hype!

Especially after finishing Pikmin (New Play Control) yesterday. That game has aged really well, it was a blast to play through.

Damn the fruit in this game looks delicious... *grabs some grapes from the fridge*

Thank you very much for translating your review. I do have one small question. What't the negative point you have in your review. I assume it's about AI?

The text I wrote for GAF is in no way a translation. Just to make that clear. More like a casual, general impression.

The negative points in my review:
- Yes, the AI of the Pikmin is not always perfect. Often I lost a few Pikmin because they got stuck behind rocks or what not. This is especially irritating with the slower Pikmin (the one that haven't blossomed yet to a flower). All it takes is walking slow to ensure you keep your Pikmin close to you, but then again, the game is fast paced, you want to hurry, so its tricky.

- Other negative point is the lack of coöpmode. Most of the time I don't complain about features not in the game, but it really sticks out here. There are three captains, it is PERFECT for coöp play. It boggles the mind that it isn't in Pikmin 3.

Hopefully someone here will be able to answer, I've asked in a few places but no luck.

Is it possible to do a "no dead Pikmin" run in Pikmin 3 like it was in Pikmin 1 and 2? My purchase of the game hinges on this question!

D-e-f-

Banned
- Other negative point is the lack of coöpmode. Most of the time I don't complain about features not in the game, but it really sticks out here. There are three captains, it is PERFECT for coöp play. It boggles the mind that it isn't in Pikmin 3.

I don't think this should be viewed as a negative. Especially since there is co-op in the game.

If the story mode is balance to be challenging for one play, throwing other players in there would basically make it easy mode, without any real benefit. If you want co-op gameplay, play co-op challenge mode.

Hopefully someone here will be able to answer, I've asked in a few places but no luck.

Is it possible to do a "no dead Pikmin" run in Pikmin 3 like it was in Pikmin 1 and 2? My purchase of the game hinges on this question!

How do you expect anyone to answer that? Unless someone actually does it, how can you really know? That said, why shouldn't it be possible?! We know deaths are tracked in the stats.

I don't think this should be viewed as a negative. Especially since there is co-op in the game.

If the story mode is balance to be challenging for one play, throwing other players in there would basically make it easy mode, without any real benefit. If you want co-op gameplay, play co-op challenge mode.

Meh, I see your point but I would have had THAT much more respect for the game if the developers had made the game so that it would be challenging for two or three players in co-op. Especially in this day where Nintendo tries to let an experienced player play with a rookie, it would've been perfect.

Still, its a 9 and its a game I've enjoyed immensely.

How do you expect anyone to answer that? Unless someone actually does it, how can you really know? That said, why shouldn't it be possible?! We know deaths are tracked in the stats.

People have the game, reviewers have reviewed, interviews have been done with the developers. The information may very well be out there but I've not read everything.

Metal B

But isn't the organisation of the three Captains the most import part of Pikmen 3? The levels are properly designed around this element.
Edit: Too late, Didn't update the page ...

Rootbeer

Banned
Am I going to get my money's worth with this game? IGN says the campaign is only 10 hours. Doesn't it sound a little short?

D-e-f-

Banned
Meh, I see your point but I would have had THAT much more respect for the game if the developers had made the game so that it would be challenging for two or three players in co-op.

Then we'd have another 6 month+ or so delay to balance the 2 alternate co-op scenarios. Balancing a strategy game is already tough.

Agreed, it would have taken more time, but you can debate about why it takes Nintendo so long in the first place. When I played this game I constantly though: man this would be fun with more people. Everyone who was watching me, asked if they could join in. I had to say they couldn't. I still believe its a valid critisism, or else I wouldn't have noted it, of course. But I respect your view in that it is an eliberate design choice, I can see that.

There's no doubt everyone who gives his game a chance is going to enjoy the fuck out of it though. It has a slow beginning but I actually liked that, gives you some time to get to grips with the gameplay again. It has been a lot of years since the previous games originally appeared on the Cube.

My favorite Pikmin is the new flying one. They are so damn handy, since they can float above water. I needed some time to realise this. Right after you find the flying Pikmin, the game gives you a piece of fruit you can't reach and it took me a few minutes before I made the connection and though, what the hell, I can actually reach it with my flying Pikmin.

My least favorite part was the endgame. I'm not going to say anything about it but I just didn't dig it.

Edit: one thing I didn't see mentioned anywhere is the fact that documents and communication with the ship, or other captains through the telephone, is viewed / heared from the GamePad. A bit like the voice of the man who directs you in ZombiU, if you will. This always adds to the immersive experience. I liked that.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I'm not sure if it actually is possible, but there is no enemy in the game where you have to sacrifice a Pikmin willingly. I definitely know it's possible to survive any boss enemy bar the last one without losing a Pikmin (I did it in challenge mode), but the last level / boss would be absolute hell if you tried to not lose a single Pikmin. I can't imagine trying to do that.

My least favorite part was the endgame. I'm not going to say anything about it but I just didn't dig it.
That's funny, I found this absolutely fantastic, although I'm now terrified of the challenge for the final boss (I've always died when I was even remotely close to being fast enough for just a gold medal, this will eat my time, I'm sure).

Could anyone tell me (in spoiler tags) which other collectibles and how many there are in addition to fruits?

And how challenguing are missions in Mission mode?

New content in the works for pikmin 3. DLC?

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-working-on-new-content-for-pikmin-3/

Could anyone tell me (in spoiler tags) which other collectibles and how many there are in addition to fruits?

And how challenguing are missions in Mission mode?

I believe the challange comes from being the most efficient to gain the highest score. I think the high score will be topped for a long time. Since there's so many variables, people will figure out better routes, ect..

My favorite Pikmin is the new flying one. They are so damn handy, since they can float above water. I needed some time to realise this. Right after you find the flying Pikmin, the game gives you a piece of fruit you can't reach and it took me a few minutes before I made the connection and though, what the hell, I can actually reach it with my flying Pikmin.

Best part about them is that they don't count as weight in the puzzles where you have to have Pikmins level out platforms, making those puzzles much faster to complete.

If they're working on additional content now that the game isn't even avaliable in all the countrys, I hope it is absolutely free, just like the spotpass missions for Fire Emblem Awakening.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
If they're working on additional content now that the game isn't even avaliable in all the countrys, I hope it is absolutely free, just like the spotpass missions for Fire Emblem Awakening.

Doesn't look like they're actually working on it yet. Just indicating intent.

I'd be happy to pay for it. The SpotPass missions for Fire Emblem were all on-card DLC, so them being free was really the only way for that not to be the worst thing. Actual freshly-developed content, I have no problem paying for that.

ASIS

Sorry can you explain a bit further, I dont understand the relation between the release date and the price of DLC

Sorry can you explain a bit further, I dont understand the relation between the release date and the price of DLC

If they're working on it so soon it might be because they didn't have time enough to implement all their ideas in the final game before the release date. It is what happened with the spotpass chapters of Fire Emblem Awakening, which were totally free because they felt it was content that should have been included in the game but they couldn't due to lack of development time.

On the other hand, this could be just new ideas and extra levels that they are planning to include in order to expand the experience. In that case, just as long and it is not stolen content from the main game, I wouldn't mind to pay for it. Anyway, just 15 missions for the main Mission Mode sound like a bit underwhelming for me.

If they're working on it so soon it might be because they didn't have time enough to implement all their ideas in the final game before the release date. It is what happened with the spotpass chapters of Fire Emblem Awakening, which were totally free because they felt it was content that should have been included in the game but they couldn't due to lack of development time.

On the other hand, this could be just new ideas and extra levels that they are planning to include in order to expand the experience. In that case, just as long and it is not stolen content from the main game, I wouldn't mind to pay for it. Anyway, just 15 missions for the main Mission Mode sound like a bit underwhelming for me.

The Spotpass DLC on Fire Emblem was already on the card, no?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As I said in the other thread: give me a Super Luigi U style campaign remix with Olimar and Louie and I am there.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The Spotpass DLC on Fire Emblem was already on the card, no?

Yup. They just wanted the levels to unlock progressively to keep people coming back to the game. There wasn't any "here is this stuff we just finished" going on. Same with the bonus box fights and weapons. All of the SpotPass content was part of the game when it shipped.

As I said in the other thread: give me a Super Luigi U style campaign remix with Olimar and Louie and I am there.

It could be fun.

Just finished the game thirty minutes ago. That game is a delight. Nothing super duper innovation compared to the previous games, but very solid and very entertaining. Around 8-10 hours for completing it (but not all fruits).

I hope Nintendo does more with the game in the future, as mentioned above. A "This also happened" campaign would fit perfectly.

For those who have completed the game, question about post end-game and the fruits:

I finished the game with 44 fruits and the game made some comments about it being a reasonable amount of fruit. Is there anything worthwhile as a reward for getting all the fruits and then beating the slime monster?

Top Bottom