• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

daakusedo

I disagree. While the tricks are clearly unintended, they're interesting, fun to watch (and pull off), and incredibly useful for players that discover and exploit them. More importantly though they do nothing to harm the core experience—if anything they make the game more challenging—and they enhance the experience for the small group of dedicated players that choose to utilize them in a non-competitive single-player mode.

Also, because why not:

I don't find going into a wall by just running into it interesting.

My fiance finally saw the credits roll last night, making Pikmin 3 the first game she's ever completed beginning to end.

If only there were a way to get Pikmin in the hands of more "non-traditional" players :(

Whoo! Definitely my favorite game so far this year.

On to the mission mode, now! I took my sweet time with the game...checking everything out. Playtime on the game says 39 hours...on the actual Wii U it sayt 41. I'm guessing the final stats is just actual time on the world, and no repeats?

Y...you...murderer! So many deaths... :(

Risgroo

Whoo! Definitely my favorite game so far this year.

On to the mission mode, now! I took my sweet time with the game...checking everything out. Playtime on the game says 39 hours...on the actual Wii U it sayt 41. I'm guessing the final stats is just actual time on the world, and no repeats?

Rockmin are basically extinct :(

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
After playing some mission mode, I'm pretty happy with Purples and Whites being only in there, and not in the campaign. The other five types, they really lend themselves to unlocking parts of levels or serving unique traversal/battle/puzzling situations. Purples and Whites, though, their abilities improve your efficiency, but not much else.

The Purples have lost their impact damage and landing stun, which I'm okay with, since it was hugely overpowered, but also because the rock pikmin are a much more refined implementation of that kind of ability. So all they're left with is their 10x carrying strength. Not particularly useful in the campaign, but indispensable in mission mode. If you've got an area with a variety of buried things, you can just throw a single purple pikmin at it at the beginning of the mission, and walk away. They'll eventually dig it up, and whatever it is, they'll carry it back to the base all by themselves with no trouble.

White Pikmin's ability to dig things up is no longer special, since all Pikmin can do it now. They do a lot less poison damage when eaten vs Pikmin 2, and their poison immunity doesn't accomplish anything in a game with no poison. So their only remaining valuable skill is speed. Again, this is great for mission mode. Throw white pikmin on anything that's really far away from your base, that you want to get back sooner. I can't tell if they're useful for mining piles of gold though, because it looks like all of the Pikmin move at max speed when they carry those little things, but I haven't really done a proper comparison yet. If they indeed move faster there, that's a great use for them.

D-e-f-

Banned
After playing some mission mode, I'm pretty happy with Purples and Whites being only in there, and not in the campaign. The other five types, they really lend themselves to unlocking parts of levels or serving unique traversal/battle/puzzling situations. Purples and Whites, though, their abilities improve your efficiency, but not much else.

The Purples have lost their impact damage and landing stun, which I'm okay with, since it was hugely overpowered, but also because the rock pikmin are a much more refined implementation of that kind of ability. So all they're left with is their 10x carrying strength. Not particularly useful in the campaign, but indispensable in mission mode. If you've got an area with a variety of buried things, you can just throw a single purple pikmin at it at the beginning of the mission, and walk away. They'll eventually dig it up, and whatever it is, they'll carry it back to the base all by themselves with no trouble.

White Pikmin's ability to dig things up is no longer special, since all Pikmin can do it now. They do a lot less poison damage when eaten vs Pikmin 2, and their poison immunity doesn't accomplish anything in a game with no poison. So their only remaining valuable skill is speed. Again, this is great for mission mode. Throw white pikmin on anything that's really far away from your base, that you want to get back sooner. I can't tell if they're useful for mining piles of gold though, because it looks like all of the Pikmin move at max speed when they carry those little things, but I haven't really done a proper comparison yet. If they indeed move faster there, that's a great use for them.

bubububu I want all the things I had before because I had them before regardless of how much sense it makes to not have them ... I WANTZ ALL DA THINGS! :)

SpokkX

Loving this game so far, but I gotta say that I am surprised that my favorite parts of the game remind me so much of Metroid.

Things I love in Pikmin 3 that remind me of Metroid:
- Landing in each new area reminds me of starting a new zone, how it is all new and you know you will eventually explore it all and know it inside out
- New Pikmin's abilities and gathering more captains are like Samus' new powers that unlock new parts of the map
- Seeing things you can't get to yet [I vow to return later!]
- When you get a new ability [I can't wait to get back to location X]

Anyway, I love the polished balance of carefully rushing through each day, and getting excited about what you're going to do for the next day.

I also thought of Metroid when playing this..

In fact Pikmin is now up there as one of my favorite series

I really hope they release dlc like new super luigi. New challenge maps would be great also, best mission mode i ever played. I Usually hate those

D-e-f-

Banned

I really hope they release dlc like new super luigi. New challenge maps would be great also, best mission mode i ever played. I Usually hate those

I'd be all over that!

Coconut

Banned

Brittany: the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin the pikmin.

When that happened I thought of Metroid as well.

Mission Mode is not for me. Gave a few stages a shot and probably won't go back. If they were structured in the opposite manner (you were scored on the time it takes you to collect everything instead of being given a set time and are scored on how much you collect) I would probably spend more time in them as I could explore the areas more and enjoy it at my own pace. It could allow me to ignore the scoring if I so chose and just get some new mini-levels to complete but also allow those who are interested in the scoring aspect to better their times.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Mission Mode is not for me. Gave a few stages a shot and probably won't go back. If they were structured in the opposite manner (you were scored on the time it takes you to collect everything instead of being given a set time and are scored on how much you collect) I would probably spend more time in them as I could explore the areas more and enjoy it at my own pace. It could allow me to ignore the scoring if I so chose and just get some new mini-levels to complete but also allow those who are interested in the scoring aspect to better their times.

It does score you on the time it takes you to collect everything. Score variance at the platinum level only arises based upon remaining time. Though yes that certainly does not help if your concern is that you want to spend more time. It's definitely good for replayability, though. There's not much point in playing a mission mode level more than once if you don't want to find a way to do it faster.

Dereck

The leaf Pikmin annoy the hell out of me. They lag behind the flowered Pikmin because they are not as fast. Then they get left behind because whenever I turn a sharp corner, they'll get stuck in a corner. I find myself having to pause after making turns just so that the leaf Pikmin can catch up. Even when I get all of my Pikmin to blossom, some of them die, then I'm stuck with the leaf Pikmin again.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The leaf Pikmin annoy the hell out of me. They lag behind the flowered Pikmin because they are not as fast. Then they get left behind because whenever I turn a sharp corner, they'll get stuck in a corner. I find myself having to pause after making turns just so that the leaf Pikmin can catch up. Even when I get all of my Pikmin to blossom, some of them die, then I'm stuck with the leaf Pikmin again.

Use one of the red sprays, once the crack cocaine effect wears off the Pikmin in your group are all permanently upgraded to flower. It's sometimes good to take out 100 of one color, flower 'em all up, and pack 'em back in there for later. Then the mixed-color groups you pull out later don't have to dip into your pathetic leaf reserves.

Frodo

Use one of the red sprays, once the crack cocaine effect wears off the Pikmin in your group are all permanently upgraded to flower. It's sometimes good to take out 100 of one color, flower 'em all up, and pack 'em back in there for later. Then the mixed-color groups you pull out later don't have to dip into your pathetic leaf reserves.

That is actually a quite good strategy! Never though about it. Will try next time, since it is easy to get the pepper thingy.

Dr.Hadji

Mission Mode, Collect Treasure, Silver Lake....................... DAT PLAT. One of the finest mission modes I've had to pleasure to play. Rarely had such a smooth curve to platinum-ing any level in any game.

Sinthetic

zlCfzRF3jBsmcW1A1Q

Screwed up at the end and lost loads of mins due to fatigue. Still, really enjoyed it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finished!

2msvWAE.jpg

Around 150 of those deaths were on the last level, pretty brutal boss. I really enjoyed the hectic pace of the whole level, though. I remember playing but never finishing(or even getting far) in the previous 2 pikmin, but I looooove this game. I'll have to go back and dig into the older games.

I am very very jealous!! By the sounds of it it is another gem!!
Don't know when I will be able to pick this up, had a project delayed and now I am low on money.

It wouldn't bother me if they simply were slower, but like you said, they get separated from the group due to crappy Pikmin AI and you end up losing a few at the end of the day.

Gsnap

I'm also really digging how the game handles its difficulty. I like being able to go at my own pace. I like the idea that if I want to challenge myself I can, and that if I don't want to, I don't have to. And I love, love mission mode. I've only got 3 platinums so far, but I'm gonna keep going until I get all of them. It's amazing to see how much time you can shave off after learning the maps and properly utilizing the 3 captains. A very good game.

Himself

Holy shit did anyone not lose like 200 fucking pikmin the first time they encountered
Quaggled Cyclopus
or whatever it's called?

142 to be exact.

Either way, awesome creature.

Dereck

I'm doing so shitty in this game. I don't understand the aiming, and it's causing me to constantly fuck up. Like the bee boss, I keep missing the target whenever I try to aim. When I aim correctly, I waste too much time trying to aim and then I lose the chance to attack. I spent a whole day on a boss and couldn't even kill it.

I know I can't be perfect at this game, but that kind of stuff really irritates me. I irritates me when I'm near the end of the day and Pikmin are just magically disappearing. Do I spend the whole day clearing the map of enemies or do I spend that time trying to defeat the boss/find fruit? Maybe I need to make better decisions.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Holy shit did anyone not lose like 200 fucking pikmin the first time they encountered
Quaggled Cyclopus
or whatever it's called?

142 to be exact.

Either way, awesome creature.

Water pikmin and flying pikmin are all you need. Love the muddy ground effects of that fight

Himself

I'm doing so shitty in this game. I don't understand the aiming, and it's causing me to constantly fuck up. Like the bee boss, I keep missing the target whenever I try to aim. When I aim correctly, I waste too much time trying to aim and then I lose the chance to attack. I spent a whole day on a boss and couldn't even kill it.

I know I can't be perfect at this game, but that kind of stuff really irritates me. I irritates me when I'm near the end of the day and Pikmin are just magically disappearing. Do I spend the whole day clearing the map of enemies or do I spend that time trying to defeat the boss/find fruit? Maybe I need to make better decisions.

Maybe try sticking to one objective at a time right now till you get the flow down. The game is fairly open ended so if you're feeling stuck just explore a different area of the map.

The Pikmin only "magically disappear" if you leave them behind. When you're about 3/4 of the way through the day, check the Gamepad to locate an stragglers and go round them up.

As far as your aiming troubles go, are you using a Wiimote or the Gamepad? I'm using a Wiimote and haven't really had any problems whatsoever.

For the bosses just learn their moves and hit on the openings.

I hope some of this helps you start enjoying this game. I f'n love it.

Yes. You will get access to an area with 0/0 fruit to collect, which is the final area. Clean up any loose fruit in other areas before tackling that area.

Awesome, thanks!

Dereck

Maybe try sticking to one objective at a time right now till you get the flow down. The game is fairly open ended so if you're feeling stuck just explore a different area of the map.

The Pikmin only "magically disappear" if you leave them behind. When you're about 3/4 of the way through the day, check the Gamepad to locate an stragglers and go round them up.

As far as your aiming troubles go, are you using a Wiimote or the Gamepad? I'm using a Wiimote and haven't really had any problems whatsoever.

For the bosses just learn their moves and hit on the openings.

I hope some of this helps you start enjoying this game. I f'n love it.
Gamepad

Caladrius

Finished the game in exactly 40 days. Lost ~500 Pikmin. Over 300 of which died against the Final boss and the majority of the rest were lost against the
Meerslug and Scornet Maestro

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

There's yer problem right there.

Do note, though, there are two modes the aiming cursor can be in. One is when it's on the ground, it indicates that your Pikmin will be thrown on an arc and land there. Another is when it looks more like a target, which means the Pikmin will be thrown on an arc in an attempt to hit that target. Your cursor could be in exactly the same place, and if an enemy moves in front of it and the cursor becomes a target, you'll be throwing to a completely different place.

D-e-f-

Banned
10 Day runs with all fruit seems impossible, especially as you need at least 9 to do all the story parts. Would LOVE to see a 10 day run or strategy if there is one floating about?

Might have just been an any% 10 day speedrun. Have only seen that mentioned in passing.

Top Bottom