• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Oidisco

I seriously didn't think I'd use the camera feature that much, but it's so damn addictive! I'm really gonna miss it when i start playing Pikmin 2 soon.

But yea, I took a bunch more pictographs. Enjoy!
zlCfzRFvMOAkUptzPF

zlCfzRFu6MIJOXzdfv

zlCfzRFu4hgfr6I0lI

zlCfzRFVEngvGbq23J

zlCfzRFIJM0q_V37Sl

zlCfzRFDJTAQCDSdYw

zlCfzRFC910dwOffjZ

zlCfzRFHvqw57Dqcio

Another thing I miss from Pikmin 2 is all the cute little noises the Pikmin made, even when just following you around through the caves. Or at least it's way less audible in Pikmin 3.

But I didn't really feel the game, at least enemy encounters, ever really, truly pressured your skill. Lots of stuff was easy to cheese with Pikmin numbers. I don't so much need harder enemies, but I would have liked to see some more complex challenges in the way enemies are laid out around the environment.

As much as I loved the game, and I do, I agree with this criticism. This is why Pikmin 2 is the superior game for my tastes.

sheaaaa

Just collected all the fruits, and started mission mode. Am I hamstrung by only playing single player though? Tried the first treasure mission a couple of times and I keep feeling it would be much easier to complete fully with two people. Is there any point banging on alone to master the mission?

Jofamo

I think I have only two real complaints with how the game designed. Maybe one based on subjectivity.

That one would be difficulty. Pikmin 3 is really super easy and cruisy to play, the campaign at least, even going for 100%. I say it's subjective because I can see why someone else would find it harder, and despite being easy I still loved the shit out of it. And, of course, high Pikmin losses can be improved to strengthen the challenge. But I didn't really feel the game, at least enemy encounters, ever really, truly pressured your skill. Lots of stuff was easy to cheese with Pikmin numbers. I don't so much need harder enemies, but I would have liked to see some more complex challenges in the way enemies are laid out around the environment.

That aside, the real complaint I have is that the game almost never exploits the three person party. There's a couple of essential mission paths, and a couple of optional fruits, that require multi-personal juggling. But other than that it's almost like they added a third party late in the design. You could go as far as to say you don't even need two people for 80% of the game. It's a great idea and works well if you touch pad multitask, but not in the least bit essential and rarely integrated into actual puzzles. Even the final level, which seems like it wants you to multi-task, can be beaten by keeping everyone in the one party. It's an easy game to solo group, and I don't feel they ever properly explored what two/three group challenges should be.

It's true, the story mode could have used a few more challenges and three person scenarios. However, if/when you tackle the mission mode, that's when the design truly shines. I feel like this mode has seen just as much developer attention as the campaign. You won't get anywhere without fully utilising all three captains in those later stages. They've been expertly crafted to provide all the challenge and three captain scenarios you need.

Tokieda

That aside, the real complaint I have is that the game almost never exploits the three person party. There's a couple of essential mission paths, and a couple of optional fruits, that require multi-personal juggling. But other than that it's almost like they added a third party late in the design. You could go as far as to say you don't even need two people for 80% of the game. It's a great idea and works well if you touch pad multitask, but not in the least bit essential and rarely integrated into actual puzzles. Even the final level, which seems like it wants you to multi-task, can be beaten by keeping everyone in the one party. It's an easy game to solo group, and I don't feel they ever properly explored what two/three group challenges should be.

I don't think that's the case... - the game is actively trying to get you to "speedrun" it (I don't think I've ever played a game where A: replaying parts/the whole thing is so easy B: the game actually promotes it - the high score/leaderboards thing almost makes one think of an arcade game). Following this logic, the 3 captains is not something that's in the game to make puzzles, but something that allows for maximum effiency in replaying the game. And in this way, you're right - the game doesn't "require" juggling between three people - but I personally think this is a good compromise: Instead of just making an "easy" game, Nintendo set out to make a game that is easy to play, but difficult to master.

They've been expertly crafted to provide all the challenge and three captain scenarios you need.
So has the story mode I think, just think of getting 100% in >35 days as getting a bronze medal and <15 days as getting a platinum :)

Coconut

Banned
Mechanically? Movement speed and camera control.

Thematically? Nature? Japanese?

Also the feeling of being a god. I noticed that all these games portray nature as both very silly and yet super serious all at once. Also creation is a theme in these games.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I seriously didn't think I'd use the camera feature that much, but it's so damn addictive! I'm really gonna miss it when i start playing Pikmin 2 soon.

But yea, I took a bunch more pictographs. Enjoy!
Awesome shots

Do you use the camera or do you just do the Home button send to Miiverse method for most of your photos?

I have also just spent a few hours taking photos from different days. Really fun and rewarding. It's actually challenging because you can only get one shot at a time.

I wonder if there's enough interest for me to start a Pikmin 3 photography thread...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think I have only two real complaints with how the game designed. Maybe one based on subjectivity.

That one would be difficulty. Pikmin 3 is really super easy and cruisy to play, the campaign at least, even going for 100%. I say it's subjective because I can see why someone else would find it harder, and despite being easy I still loved the shit out of it. And, of course, high Pikmin losses can be improved to strengthen the challenge. But I didn't really feel the game, at least enemy encounters, ever really, truly pressured your skill. Lots of stuff was easy to cheese with Pikmin numbers. I don't so much need harder enemies, but I would have liked to see some more complex challenges in the way enemies are laid out around the environment.

I agree. I think it is designed so that most if not all should easily be able to play through it, even 100%, in their own sweet time without much trouble. That being said I've seen pleny of complaints about some of the later bosses in this thread and elsewhere.

The real challenges in this game would be doing a sub 20 days 100 % run, or a playthrough without losing Pikmins at all etc.

The "flaw" of this design however could perhaps be that you basically have to play the game though a number of times for it to be reallly challenging (I assume), and not everyone have time for that and would probably like for it to be more challenging on the first playthrough.

edit: i just saw the 10-days 100% pikminlossless run posted by Cool Kid. There's a challenge!

I agree. But it's also a game that is VERY hard to properly multitask except for basic go-to commands. I would think the last boss level would be pretty though without this kind of multitasking, but I only tried it once with two parties.

One thing that frustrates me immensly is how pikmins will return to the spot were they found bridge parts etc even when there is none left. I'd rather they just hung around the space ship - like after collecting fruit. That way you could send you're commanders around more freely while choring, not having to run around and pick up lost workers everywhere.

Haha. "NOPE!"

I have collected all fruit now, just the last area to complete. Looking at the stat screen, I am guessing this level is simply just the final boss.

10 DAY VIDEO...

Couple of interesting things about it. When the onions are separated, I didn't know any Pikmin could get into any Onion, I thought they had to go back to their original one. I guess I never tried that though, I just assumed.

Also, it looks like the video has been edited slightly, because the bridge building during the boss fight has been paused, or so it looks. Or is that me?

Anyway, that first main day is CRAZY, I can't believe how much gets done, very very impressive!

Maybe it's because I'm playing DKCR at the moment – which can, many times, be difficult to the point of frustration – but I thought the difficulty was fine. Yes, the game is easy, but it's not so easy that you get bored with the combat, which I think is the most important thing. Difficulty is there to keep you entertained and prevent you from becoming bored. At least for me, the difficulty was just enough for me to be more than entertained.

The game doesn't force you two use three captains for most of the game, I agree.

However, I'm not sure that's a problem. If you want to get as much done in a single day as you can, you *will* divide your group up and perform many tasks simultaneously. The game doesn't force you to use three captains a lot, that's true, but it's certainly designed to accompany that style of play. And you can beat the final level with one group, sure – if you want to feel like chucking your Wii U out the window. I did that the first time I played the final level and I was not having fun at all. I was incredibly frustrated.

I'm at Day 14, I found 24 fruits so far.
Can someone tell when will I find blue Pikmins?
Now I felt stuck in the Tropical area so I went back to the first one picking up some collectibles. But I don't know exactly where should I go.
Anyway, fantastic game. I wasn't a big fan of the first two installments, but this one is incredible. Probably the best WiiU exclusive so far.

D-e-f-

Banned
Where do I find the last pieces for the red bridge in Twilight River?

Ride the water lilly leaf. You'll see.

I'd argue that all of this is exactly how they want it to be and both come down to subjectivity. Pikmin 3 is all about the high score/low-time/no-casualty chase and replayability. In a way it is very similar to the design of the New Super Mario Bros. games which are rarely "hard" and allow pretty much anyone to get to the end.

The challenge is entirely player-imposed. Do you want to get all the star coins in a Mario game? If you do, the game becomes more challenging. In Pikmin 3, it's about management and efficiency. Sure you can play the entire game without every using the multiple captains outside of maybe a few mandatory two-person jumps or so. Is that the best "you" can do though? Probably not. That's where the interactive GamePad map comes in and where you're supposed to plan your macro strategy for the day the moment you step off the Drake in the morning. Can you build the bridge and reunite with Brittany in a single day and maybe even get to the boss before sunset? That's definitely a tough challenge.

It's like StarCraft: if you have idle units doing nothing, you're not playing as well as you could be. Always be doing stuff. Of course there are certain days or moments that are structured in a linear fashion to facilitate story beats. But outside of those, it's entirely up to you how much stress or tension you put on yourself. And I think that's a great design choice. A lot of Nintendo games do this which is why they rarely have the option to select difficulty levels. They allow you to snooze through the game to some degree but if you're a high skill-level player, you can show off your prowess without the need for arbitrary health penalties or doubling enemy health (something they did for Skyward Sword's Hero Mode).

I'm actually kind of glad the game never asked too much regarding the use of three captains, I ain't so great at that sort of multi tasking.

I wonder if there's enough interest for me to start a Pikmin 3 photography thread...

I'd break out the camera once more for it, a thread where we could freely post spoiler pics would be nice since you have to be more careful with what the snapshots you show in here.
Speaking of photos, those were some good ones up there by Oidisco, especially the last two.

D-e-f-

Banned
As much as I loved the game, and I do, I agree with this criticism. This is why Pikmin 2 is the superior game for my tastes.

The challenge in Pikmin 2 came from the fact that you couldn't just get more Pikmin if you needed to. I disagree with the notion that they handled enemies more cleverly or something like that. I feel that came entirely from the semi-perma-death-dungeon-crawlerness of the caves.

I don't think the combat is too easy.

Sure, if you are Olimar or whatever, sure it's easy. You simply zerg until dead. The captains are never under any real threat.

If you're a fucking Pikmin though, well good luck. Even a pill bug will eat your ass if the Captain isn't paying attention. Those little Bulborbs? Well, if one of the throws is mistimed, you're lunch. Sure, the Bulborb is still dead, but so are you. The Captain misjudged that bomb throw? The enemy is dead, but there wasn't a route back for the Pikmin, so he's dead too. The Captain forgot to make sure that path was clear when he sent you to carry a pellet back? You just got fucked up by an m-effing leaf.

Every single enemy encounter is stressful as crap in this game, because almost every action you take can one-shot kill a Pikmin. That's never an issue for the Captain (player) because you can breed more dudes, but I don't really think that's how you're encouraged to play.

The challenge in Pikmin 2 came from the fact that you couldn't just get more Pikmin if you needed to. I disagree with the notion that they handled enemies more cleverly or something like that. I feel that came entirely from the semi-perma-death-dungeon-crawlerness of the caves.

Definitely this. I haven't played 3 yet but it was the biggest difference between 1 and 2 for me. I dreaded going inside caves, because I knew there was a chance none of my pikmin would make it to the end. It was not really fear of dying myself, as captains rarely die and can just go back to the surface, but rather of losing purple or white pikmin.

It's paranoia. That one difference alone made the game stressful and flipped the difficulty switch, much like dark aether's polluted atmosphere was the one reason I found Metroid Prime Two the hardest and most nerve-wrecking of the trilogy.

daakusedo

The 10 days run was fine to watch until I realized it was an all fruits run... then it's another dimension.
There's some clever ideas but the game need some patching for those go into wall and appear on top after falling inside. Like the way the last level is tackled.

The caves definitely helped make the combat actually have consequences, but that wasn't it. The fact that bosses didn't carry over damage is pretty big. That makes it so there was an actual sense that you could lose a battle and not just power through it with more pikmin. You actually had to overcome the challenge.

Also, the sheer variety of enemy types (like a spider with a machine gun) were just more threatening in general. To some degree, I think Nintendo made a balancing decision to de-emphasize enemies to let your three captains wander the level with the "Go Here" mechanic without too much trouble.

I don't want to hate on Pikmin 3. It's a great game. But the combat and threat of enemies is much less challenging than what was in Pikmin 2.

Coconut

Banned
Definitely this. I haven't played 3 yet but it was the biggest difference between 1 and 2 for me. I dreaded going inside caves, because I knew there was a chance none of my pikmin would make it to the end. It was not really fear of dying myself, as captains rarely die and can just go back to the surface, but rather of losing purple or white pikmin.

It's paranoia. That one difference alone made the game stressful and flipped the difficulty switch, much like dark aether's polluted atmosphere was the one reason I found Metroid Prime Two the hardest and most nerve-wrecking of the trilogy.

I hate feeling dread while I play a game and I got that during Pikmin 2.

Pikmin 3 lends itself to speed runs a replayability to me more so than the previous games.

The caves definitely helped make the combat actually have consequences, but that wasn't it. The fact that bosses didn't carry over damage is pretty big. That makes it so there was an actual sense that you could lose a battle and not just power through it with more pikmin. You actually had to overcome the challenge.

Also, the sheer variety of enemy types (like a spider with a machine gun) were just more threatening in general. To some degree, I think Nintendo made a balancing decision to de-emphasize enemies to let your three captains wander the level with the "Go Here" mechanic without too much trouble.

I don't want to hate on Pikmin 3. It's a great game. But the combat and threat of enemies is much less challenging than what was in Pikmin 2.
There's a difference between challenging and tedious, and to me the mechanics you're describing would make the game more tedious.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So far in my time with Pikmin 3 I'd tend to agree with the perspective that the story mode doesn't require team juggling intricacy to complete it is a good thing. I already feel like starting the story over to begin practicing multi-tasking so its design must be doing something right.

As for the challenge... well, I can totally see what some fans love about Pikmin 2. Having just replayed it, for me, by the end, it was a bit too exhausting. I didn't like its philosophy as much, where most of the "meat" of the game was inside the dungeons where time doesn't pass. I think I would have been happier with Pikmin 2 if it had a few less dungeons and bigger overworld areas instead.

Obviously 3's intricate overworlds are just what I've been looking for from the series. But all the same, I'm actually glad all 3 Pikmin have ended up being rather distinct experiences. There's a reason to have all three and play all three.

Fandangox

Can't beat Formidable Oaks, no matter what I try.

Tips? PLEASE!

First of all, you don't have to explore the whole thing, but I did open all the paths so I could more easily have Britanny run in circles to distract the Boss as Charlie and Alph opened the way to the exit.

I had 5-10 Flying Pikmin carry Olimar, they will go over most hazzards except webs. The boss also wont go over water, so you can camp there if you see you can't run around circles.

Soren01

First of all, you don't have to explore the whole thing, but I did open all the paths so I could more easily have Britanny run in circles to distract the Boss as Charlie and Alph opened the way to the exit.

I had 5-10 Flying Pikmin carry Olimar, they will go over most hazzards except webs. The boss also wont go over water, so you can camp there if you see you can't run around circles.

Thanks...
I was trying to do everything in one day.

I think the 3 party groups is implemented in an absolutely amazing way.

Sure, it's inessential.
But that's why it's so genius. It opens up so much room for improvement. Speedrunners can find better and more useful ways to zip their parties along, figuring out the best party spreads and tasks at which times, all while keeping it simple enough that you don't need to do it to be able to do half well.

Dr.Hadji

Also, about Pikmin3 difficulty. I think it's important to have a space in Pikmin where the delicate calm of that nature feel isn't crushed by the pressure that comes from forced multi-tasking, or hordes of killer enemies.

Besides, for me, battling enemies was never a first option when it comes to fun for me in a Pikmin game. My first love was always the symphony of a 100 Pikmin going about their various tasks. Which is something that, as it turns out, having less enemies facilitates.

Cool Kid

Neo Member
There's some clever ideas but the game need some patching for those go into wall and appear on top after falling inside. Like the way the last level is tackled.

I disagree. While the tricks are clearly unintended, they're interesting, fun to watch (and pull off), and incredibly useful for players that discover and exploit them. More importantly though they do nothing to harm the core experience—if anything they make the game more challenging—and they enhance the experience for the small group of dedicated players that choose to utilize them in a non-competitive single-player mode.

Also, because why not:
Shigeru Miyamoto said:
You know, obviously video games are designed for the player to play the way the designer has intended them to. But a good game—and this is really where I think Pikmin 3 stands out—is a&#65279; game that gives you enough freedom that the player can create their own way of playing and can find ways of playing that the developers didn't envision.
<via Kotaku>

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Also, about Pikmin3 difficulty. I think it's important to have a space in Pikmin where the delicate calm of that nature feel isn't crushed by the pressure that comes from forced multi-tasking, or hordes of killer enemies.

Besides, for me, battling enemies was never a first option when it comes to fun for me in a Pikmin game. My first love was always the symphony of a 100 Pikmin going about their various tasks. Which is something that, as it turns out, having less enemies facilitates.

Agreed. I'm loving the treasure mission mode levels, the enemy ones not so much. I wanna focus on really maximizing the three captains and touching as many things as I can at once, not having to focus all my attention on battles that I can't trust the Pikmin to fight themselves.

Dr.Hadji

This should be standard practice from now on. Miiverse makes it too easy for people to spam screenshots in OTs. While not as egregious (or bannable) as story spoilers, we end up seeing a lot more of the game than many of us would want.

True that. Thought about saying something a couple of times but didn't want to seem square.

Well said.

Qylumlb.jpg

File says it took me just under 19 hours, loved every second. Tried to keep Pikmin casualties under 200 but lost a few right at the end when I was bombarding the final boss. 70 of my dead Pikmin were from only two boss fights.

Completed it in 36 days! :)

I dunno how many endings there are, but I love how I nabbed nearly thirty fruit and the game made me feel like shit for not even collecting half of it. The perfect incentive to start all over.

I think I'll end up preferring Pikmin 2 but this is a very worthy contender.

Also that final boss kicked ass and the credits song was adorable

jacksrb

Loving this game so far, but I gotta say that I am surprised that my favorite parts of the game remind me so much of Metroid.

Things I love in Pikmin 3 that remind me of Metroid:
- Landing in each new area reminds me of starting a new zone, how it is all new and you know you will eventually explore it all and know it inside out
- New Pikmin's abilities and gathering more captains are like Samus' new powers that unlock new parts of the map
- Seeing things you can't get to yet [I vow to return later!]
- When you get a new ability [I can't wait to get back to location X]

Anyway, I love the polished balance of carefully rushing through each day, and getting excited about what you're going to do for the next day.

Yes Boss!

Whoo! Definitely my favorite game so far this year.

On to the mission mode, now! I took my sweet time with the game...checking everything out. Playtime on the game says 39 hours...on the actual Wii U it sayt 41. I'm guessing the final stats is just actual time on the world, and no repeats?

Top Bottom