• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Has anyone bothered to see the Game Over screen? Even searching YouTube for "pikmin 3 game over" resulted in nothing.

Weird ending theory

the ending talks about 'what caused the drake to crash - maybe it wasn't an accident'. And then you see the end credits with another ship? Crashinas the pikmin look on. Maybe it's like LOST and the pikmin are deliberately crashing ships so that the 'aliens' breed more pikmin for them?

Hard to say or sure.
near as I can tell, Pikmin are sentient but only up to a hunter-gatherer stage of development for the most part. I think they're an engineered species for sure given the onion can reach orbit, but they show no signs of advanced tool use otherwise. My first guess would be that there's remnant advanced human technology that shoots down anything that approaches without the proper landing codes. It just happens to be a frequent enough occurrence that the Pikmin have enough intelligence to learn how to take advantage of it when it happens. My assumption is that they were originally an engineered life form built for slave labor purposes but the original architects are now extinct or have sine moved on into the stars somewhere.

TheBear

Man the game was short. Very sweet though, but I feel more levels could've been made when they had this great engine to work with... Considering how long this game was in development I was really shocked when I realised I was fighting the last level...

Will pay for DLC.

how do i know i'm upto the last level? want to make sure i have collected all the fruit

how do i know i'm upto the last level? want to make sure i have collected all the fruit

The last area has
no
fruit to collect.

Hard to say or sure.
near as I can tell, Pikmin are sentient but only up to a hunter-gatherer stage of development for the most part. I think they're an engineered species for sure given the onion can reach orbit, but they show no signs of advanced tool use otherwise. My first guess would be that there's remnant advanced human technology that shoots down anything that approaches without the proper landing codes. It just happens to be a frequent enough occurrence that the Pikmin have enough intelligence to learn how to take advantage of it when it happens. My assumption is that they were originally an engineered life form built for slave labor purposes but the original architects are now extinct or have sine moved on into the stars somewhere.

But if the pikmin were engineered by humans, particularly for manual labour, why make them only a few cm tall?

But if the pikmin were engineered by humans, particularly for manual labour, why make them only a few cm tall?

Delicate manual labor. Think complex machinery with tons of tiny FRUs your fingers wouldn't be able to put together. Then put them up in orbit. We've got millions of dollars in research into nano machines for similar reasons right now. Or as salvage/rescue workers. Tons of reasons, really.

Plus nobody ever said that the architect in question was human. Could be an entirely separate species.

Dr.Hadji

I really gotta say. For those of you who aren't normally inclined to plug away at mission modes for platinum, I really think you should try to go for some in Pikmin3. Because...

1. It's one of the best mission modes I've played in a long while.
2. They test the same skills that the single player does. You don't have to resort to any exotic techniques or thought processes to get Dat Plat. Really the key to a Platinum victory is mostly being observant and incorporating changes into your routine.
3. You don't have to play the "perfect" game to get Plat. It just feels like you only have seconds to spare, but actual "perfect" play will have you completing missions with minuets to spare. Which means your sub-optimal play, your unique solution to the problem can lead you down the path to Platinum if you work at it.
4. They really aren't "hard" and won't take you long to master. I played a mission mode once or twice a night, and in about 3 nights I've got my Platinum medal.
5. Its really fun. And the metal state of those who Platinum is a great one for you just witnessed a circus of Pikmin flow like clockwork.

Tokieda

I don't like anything about the winky face in that response, I don't like anything about it at all.

I'm gonna put spoiler marks on it but if you've finished the boss you can read on

as you may have figured out, the final boss doesn't have a tongue (and is a lot harder)

Coconut

Banned
I'm gonna put spoiler marks on it but if you've finished the boss you can read on

as you may have figured out, the final boss doesn't have a tongue (and is a lot harder)

Two different conversations are taking place. But thanks for trying.

So alph says it feels like maybe the pikmin are CONTROLLING us. I think that the statement is meant to imply that we the player are also Pikmin.

LOCK

The last area has
no
fruit to collect.

NANOMACHINES!

Delicate manual labor. Think complex machinery with tons of tiny FRUs your fingers wouldn't be able to put together. Then put them up in orbit. We've got millions of dollars in research into nano machines for similar reasons right now. Or as salvage/rescue workers. Tons of reasons, really.

Plus nobody ever said that the architect in question was human. Could be an entirely separate species.
After reading these post, I thought, what if Pikmin enacted their revenge and killed humans...O_0

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If we're going the sci-fi route for Pikmin origins: how about they were created to clean up the environment after humans abandon the planet, and its verdant state is proof that it worked? But now they have no real purpose, and so instinctively look for a new leader to provide directives.

LOCK

If we're going the sci-fi route for Pikmin origins: how about they were created to clean up the environment after humans abandon the planet, and its verdant state is proof that it worked? But now they have no real purpose, and so instinctively look for a new leader to provide directives.
Why would humans abandon the planet though? Unless it was trashed, imagine all those poor Pikmin that had to work to get the world back to the condition shown in 3....lol

After reading these post, I thought, what if Pikmin enacted their revenge and killed humans...O_0

Definitely possible. They have a pretty appalling reproductive rate. Just imagine if ants had proto-human intelligence. (Allowing for video game time compression it'd still be faster than most insects.) I doubt the current Pikmin mythos developed at Nintendo has that level of detail but it's a fun universe to speculate about, that's for sure.

Coconut

Banned

This is actually pretty solid speculation.

PIK-E. A partnership between Nintendo and Pixar.

iwanttobelieve.jpeg.

Things to consider about the ending/DLC:

The Pikmin that you direct to carry Olimar back to the Drake spin around about a single point, unable to find their own way back, despite always knowing the correct route in every other instance. The last area of the game (either Greenland or India?) is at the North Pole. The Pikmin circle around like a compass at the North Pole. Do they use magnetism as a sense?

What is this gold thing that captured Olimar, and why is it at the North Pole. Why does it return Olimar always to the same spot at the North Pole? Why Olimar (it shows literally no interest in any other entity)? Why are all the creatures at the North Pole made out of the jelly substance? Does the visual similarity between the jelly substance and the nectar Pikmin eat have any importance?

The SS Dolphin was left on PNF-404, that's obviously significant (the ship was important enough to Pikmin be featured in Smash Bros and Animal Crossing). DLC where you are Olimar and you search for artifacts to repair your ship?

i keep leaving/losing pikmin overnight :( im sorry guys but if you keep going back to the spot where you got the bridge parts i am gonna forget

also lmao im a monster at forgetting that pikmin holding a bomb drop it when thrown, i thought they only dropped it when thrown at walls/enemies

so many dead :( 300 so far. on day 20

Mik_Pad

Banned

The Pikmin that you direct to carry Olimar back to the Drake spin around about a single point, unable to find their own way back, despite always knowing the correct route in every other instance. The last area of the game (either Greenland or India?) is at the North Pole. The Pikmin circle around like a compass at the North Pole. Do they use magnetism as a sense?

What is this gold thing that captured Olimar, and why is it at the North Pole. Why does it return Olimar always to the same spot at the North Pole? Why Olimar (it shows literally no interest in any other entity)? Why are all the creatures at the North Pole made out of the jelly substance? Does the visual similarity between the jelly substance and the nectar Pikmin eat have any importance?

The SS Dolphin was left on PNF-404, that's obviously significant (the ship was important enough to Pikmin be featured in Smash Bros and Animal Crossing). DLC where you are Olimar and you search for artifacts to repair your ship?
Wow, I really like the way you think.
The Pikmin not knowing where to go while carrying Olimar could easily be because all possible ways to return to the ship are blocked and for creating more tension.

D-e-f-

Banned
What setup should I use? How many of each colour? Dx Well I mean what's the preferable setup one could use.

Doesn't really matter. Well except you obviously need a bunch of Winged Pikmin and Yellows would be good but not necessary. I Rock Pikmin the best at freeing captured comrades because their acoustic feedback is stronger amidst all that chaos. But you could probably do fine if you went all Winged. Or all Yellow even if you're crazy. Don't really need Reds. I went in with my 25 25 25 25 standard grouping, had no trouble after I saw the pattern once or twice.

Wow, I really like the way you think.
The Pikmin not knowing where to go while carrying Olimar could easily be because all possible ways to return to the ship are blocked and for creating more tension.

Well, in the rest of the game, even if the route is blocked, they'll carry whatever they have right up to the wall/unfinished bridge/etc. But in this instance, and this instance only,
they don't know where to go, spin in a circle, and it's explicitly mentioned by one of the characters that the Pikmin don't know the way and need Brittany to lead them

Obviously that's for gameplay reasons (sets up the last stage) but it does look like they took the trouble of building it into the narrative.

What setup should I use? How many of each colour? Dx Well I mean what's the preferable setup one could use.

I actually did that fight with all pink ones but you can easily use any combo you want. Just hang back and use the dodge roll to avoid being grabbed, wait until all the small guys are gone then use the 'chuck charge to knock it out of the sky. It's a little tougher with ground based Pikmin but still totally doable.

Cool Kid

Neo Member
What's the best way to defeat the 3rd Boss (
The Bee Queen
)? I don't want to lose any Pikmin. :((

There's a better way if you're willing to cheese a bit:

Go into the fight with 20 or so flying pikmin and whatever else. Immediately separate a single captain and send him (without pikmin) away from the rest of your squad. The boss will only attack the captain you're currently controlling, so switch to your main captain(s) after an attack starts, and then swarm as soon as the attack finishes. If you mess up and a few pikmin get grabbed, just throw up some flying guys to rescue them before they're killed.

Near as I can tell, a large cross section of the indigenous population is genetically modified in one fashion or another. My guess is that it's all accomplished via nanotechnology and the end boss is attempting to breach Olimar's suit in for some unknown purpose. This jives with the end boss of Pikmin 2 as well as well. Leftover robotic technology engineering life forms for various purposes, possibly at this point without any core purpose other than continued functioning at this point.

Just beat this game. Man, what a great final boss fight, what a wonderful credits sequence. While I do have a few gripes about the final area PRE boss fight, thinking about it now has me sorta nod in agreement with it. What a wonderful game. It took a long time to come out, but damn, it was really worth the wait.

I'm on day 10, arrived to the third area. Incredible game, and I wasn't a fan of the first two Pikmin. I'm playing pretty badly I guess since strategy games aren't my strength, but I'm still having real fun. I think for now is the best WiiU game.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Well, in the rest of the game, even if the route is blocked, they'll carry whatever they have right up to the wall/unfinished bridge/etc. But in this instance, and this instance only,
they don't know where to go, spin in a circle, and it's explicitly mentioned by one of the characters that the Pikmin don't know the way and need Brittany to lead them

Obviously that's for gameplay reasons (sets up the last stage) but it does look like they took the trouble of building it into the narrative.
Good point, I hope Nintendo expand the lore a bit with DLC.

Coconut

Banned
Tons of spoilers

Okami, Katamari Damacy, and the Pikmin series, all have a similar feel game play wise and in theme. Why is that?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So has anyone figured out when it's appropriate to use white pikmin in mission mode? Purples are obvious, despite having all of their offensive abilities nerfed, they are still the perfect load-bearers. Single Pikmin can almost anything. But when should I be using the whites? There aren't any poisonous things (in mission 2 at least), and the ability to dig things out of the ground is taken by the yellow min now. (Or all min, I forget. I know they can all dig things up, but maybe yellows are the only ones who can find completely buried things?) Feeding them to enemies barely does any real damage this time around, too.

So yeah, what's the advantage to using a white? Are they still the fastest? Is that it? I couldn't discern anything particularly compelling when I messed around with them.

Cool Kid

Neo Member
So yeah, what's the advantage to using a white? Are they still the fastest? Is that it? I couldn't discern anything particularly compelling when I messed around with them.

They're still the fastest, yeah. I use them on treasures/corpses that are further from the onion to cut down on time. Also it can be useful to toss a few near certain enemies for easy kills while multitasking.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think I have only two real complaints with how the game designed. Maybe one based on subjectivity.

That one would be difficulty. Pikmin 3 is really super easy and cruisy to play, the campaign at least, even going for 100%. I say it's subjective because I can see why someone else would find it harder, and despite being easy I still loved the shit out of it. And, of course, high Pikmin losses can be improved to strengthen the challenge. But I didn't really feel the game, at least enemy encounters, ever really, truly pressured your skill. Lots of stuff was easy to cheese with Pikmin numbers. I don't so much need harder enemies, but I would have liked to see some more complex challenges in the way enemies are laid out around the environment.

That aside, the real complaint I have is that the game almost never exploits the three person party. There's a couple of essential mission paths, and a couple of optional fruits, that require multi-personal juggling. But other than that it's almost like they added a third party late in the design. You could go as far as to say you don't even need two people for 80% of the game. It's a great idea and works well if you touch pad multitask, but not in the least bit essential and rarely integrated into actual puzzles. Even the final level, which seems like it wants you to multi-task, can be beaten by keeping everyone in the one party. It's an easy game to solo group, and I don't feel they ever properly explored what two/three group challenges should be.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
just purchased pikmin today. Would you recommend the Wii mote or the gamepad? How relaxing is the game?

It's relaxing. Wii remote and nunchuck is infinitely superior to the GamePad, unless you're shit at aiming with a pointer, or really miss precise camera control.

It doesn't cut the GamePad off though. While you're playing with the remote the GamePad stays on for touch screen shit and the map.

Darryl

Banned
just purchased pikmin today. Would you recommend the Wii mote or the gamepad? How relaxing is the game?

wiimote is far superior. it can be used in combination with the gamepad for a better experience.

i think how relaxing the game is depends entirely on how willing you are to throw your pikmin to their doom or leave them behind.

burst

great start. was going to play during my lunch break (i work from home) and the game keeps freezing. Already downloaded it multiple times. Downloading it to an external hard drive as lego city and a few other things are taking up space on the internal storage. Should have bought a retail copy.

zroid

Banned
great start. was going to play during my lunch break (i work from home) and the game keeps freezing. Already downloaded it multiple times. Downloading it to an external hard drive as lego city and a few other things are taking up space on the internal storage. Should have bought a retail copy.

I dunno if this is the problem or not, but why not try moving LCU to your external first and then downloading it straight to the internal memory

Top Bottom