• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Farmboy

I may have underestimated how quickly people can rush through the story mode. Still, I'd expect most people to replay a couple of particularly bad days and just generally dick around a bit. In which case 20 hours for 100% (fruits and otherwise) still seems like a good rule-of-thumb number, though 'absolute minimum' was an exaggeration.

I think there also might be slightly alternative endings for extra fast runs, as well as no/few Pikmin death-runs. Could be wrong though, have yet to make one.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY FINISHED THE GAME:

Are there or aren't there other collectibles in addition to fruit?

Asked and answered, but I'll reiterate and clarify. There are, in the form of data files. Most of those are simply tutorial, but there are ten secret ones as well, a couple of which are very well hidden.

There are also a few optional collectible power-ups/suits.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
damn at GAME releasing codes early
double damn at Nintendo eshop not having a time lock (well, Nintendo's lack of online savvy has to have a silver lining I guess)
triple damn at me having credit on the eshop since last Novemberso I really should wait until Friday

(and I'm out of the damn country until Friday anyway).

Enjoy, fuckers :p

Works for German accounts as well. DLing now. Discount should work. I hope they only check timestamps for the end of promotion. Otherwise I'll just bitch to Nintendo about getting the code earlier.

DL is going fast, already half-way on my middle of the road DSL. Lucky me or have Nintendo improved their services? Great timing with a pro-longed weekend anyway.

I cannot for the life of me get Miyamoto saying " Don't Attack my eyes" out of my head for some reason. It was just really funny and then they talked about how you can throw pikmin at specific parts on the body. I got hyped

JoeM86

Was going to take advantage of GAME doing this, but ShopTo just started processing my order as I went to cancel, so ah well

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
15 (16 according to a poster earlier in this thread)
playable solo and co-op
and then there's bingo battle with 12(?) stages with 3 variations for each.

(dat lack of content...)

I guarantee you it's 16 (if there are no more unlocked after you get platin in all of them): 5 "collect all fruit", 5 "defeat all enemies", 6 "defeat the boss".

Kinda hard to reach on d-pad up, tho. Seems like they shoulda put it on down, since that's a multiplayer-only item, and using that spray and using an item seem similar. Oh well.

Swapping to the map, offering the option to command your character to go somewhere is on d-pad down. This is a lot more important than the sprays imo.

Swapping to the map, offering the option to command your character to go somewhere is on d-pad down. This is a lot more important than the sprays imo.

Spray was pretty useful during boss fights. Get a boss into a stunned state, spray and let them loose = Fast and effective death.

Fabrik

Banned
Played a bit last night. It's lovely. The graphics are beyond 360/PS3 IMO. Very clean and a lot of subtle effects like the light from your character reflecting on the plastic strap of a cardboard box. And I can already tell it's gonna be very replayable. Can't wait for tonight to play more.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
And download done. It took me 85mn to download 4go, I don't know how it compares to you guys.

Installing :)

tesla246

Can anyone comment on the music in this game? I always find the music in, especially in pikmin 1, quite relaxing.

Cannot wait until this game lands on my doormat. It has been ten years guys! Finally the wait is over.

Short initial impressions:
- Looks alright, Wii roots show with pretty low poly elements and the odd bad texture here and there, DoF looks quite nice as do some of the elements/textures and the effects
- Liking the music
- Controls like a charm with the Wiimote/Nunchuck option as expected
- No swarming
- Pathfinding can still be an issue with Pikmin getting stuck somewhere
- IT'S PIKMIN,YAY!

Will be my first Pikmin game and I'm pumped! Any advice for a first time Pikmin player?

Just play the game, it eases you into the mechanics quite nicely. Learn the basics with the first captain, then learn to multitask with the second and third captain. Its important to multitask so that you make most of your day.

Pay attention to different materials in the gameworld. Yellow Pikmin can do stuff with electricity, red can resist fire, blue can walk in water, etcetera.

so, only p2 has piklopedia then?
Guess I'll skip right to W101 :/

pikmin 3 is a wonderful game, but it really is the thing i missed the most, aside from zooming in the camera, the lack of a piklopedia is downright sloppy given the delay of this game, for the love of god nintendo, patch in a piklopedia!

how perfect it could have been....you take a photo of an enemy or plant and it's scanned and added to the piklopedia on your gamepad.
what a missed opportunity, instead we get nothing, just a few tiny notes here and there.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
so, only p2 has piklopedia then?
Guess I'll skip right to W101 :/

I can understand your disappointment (Piklopedia was great fun), but you're missing out on an incredible game. Moreover, I'd bet W101 doesn't have a Piklopedia either.

dyergram

Well only popped in here to see what people thought so far now I'm about to download. Looks like game have found a way to get me to buy from them :)

D-e-f-

Banned
thats Joss Whedon right?
He musta performed the same dance when he checked his bank account after the Avengers

Yup that's him. :D

--

Damn, that instant download manages to hype me up even more. Thankfully my copy is already on the way including Flying Pikmin keychain :D

can't you get a proxie ip for Europe?

That's not how Nintendo's online stores work. They're set by the console's region. A PAL console will always connect to PAL eShops even if you take it with you to Japan or the US, for example.

come on mr. postman

He was just here :D

YjO1OLQl.jpg

Would like to hear some impressions about controls.

I know that Nunchuk+Wiimote seems to be the best option, but how well does this work when i also want to use the functions of the Gamepad?

D-e-f-

Banned

I know that Nunchuk+Wiimote seems to be the best option, but how well does this work when i also want to use the functions of the Gamepad?

You take your finger and touch the screen. I don't see how there would be any problems with that while holding a Wiimote and Nunchuk in your hands.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You take your finger and touch the screen. I don't see how there would be any problems with that while holding a Wiimote and Nunchuk in your hands.

your dominant hand would be holding the wiimote - bit tricky to use a touch screen without putting the wiimote down IMO.

although others have played it and like the wiimote controls and haven't commented on the gamepad map being difficult to use, so I guess it's ok.

What do you mean by swarming? I could have sworn I saw gameplay footage of it.

In the previous games, there was a command that let you directly control the Pikmin under your command. (C-Stick on the GC and DPad-down on the Wii) That way, you could give a group orders to transport stuff or break walls without having to throw them all one after another. When you used the command, you could hear a trumpet.
In Pikmin 3, you can only lock on to something and send all Pikmin under your command towards that goal.
I used swarming extensively and hope that I won't miss it too much in Pikmin 3

parkinho

Only had a quick 30min blast, but so far had the Gamepad resting on the arm of the chair for when I needed to look at/prod the screen. Works like a charm.

Edit - resting the Wii remote on my lap when using the Gamepad functions.

D-e-f-

Banned
your dominant hand would be holding the wiimote - bit tricky to use a touch screen without putting the wiimote down IMO.

although others have played it and like the wiimote controls and haven't commented on the gamepad map being difficult to use, so I guess it's ok.

You just need a finger. You can still use your index finger to point or touch the screen.

Mael

pikmin 3 is a wonderful game, but it really is the thing i missed the most, aside from zooming in the camera, the lack of a piklopedia is downright sloppy given the delay of this game, for the love of god nintendo, patch in a piklopedia!

how perfect it could have been....you take a photo of an enemy or plant and it's scanned and added to the piklopedia on your gamepad.
what a missed opportunity, instead we get nothing, just a few tiny notes here and there.

Really that would have been awesome.
But even Pikmin2's implementation would have been enough for me :/

I can understand your disappointment (Piklopedia was great fun), but you're missing out on an incredible game. Moreover, I'd bet W101 doesn't have a Piklopedia either.

Different games, different jobs.

NotLiquid

Looks like the store here fucked up and broke the street date before reverting it shortly after, but not fast enough for them to not contact me and ask me to pick up my copy.

I'm excited. Looks like my Wii U purchase is going to start paying off now.

Shaldome

Thinking about taking a day of on Friday for this. Would also have the advantage to be at home for the mail man with my Wii Remote I order for Pikmin.
Hmm....

Top Bottom