• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Hargenx

Now we wait...

1347321140622.gif

wrowa

It's so awesome, who would have thought that Obsidian will smash the 4 million mark? Just yesterday some people still doubted whether they could make the 3.5 million stretch goal and look at it now! It's just amazing.

So I just watched through the Mask of the Betrayer campaign yesterday as I have never played NWN2, and I must say, I am really glad George Ziets is in.

I loved the themes that it tackled.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
It's so awesome, who would have thought that Obsidian will smash the 4 million mark? Just yesterday some people still doubted whether they could make the 3.5 million stretch goal and look at it now! It's just amazing.

I was one of the doubters. Woke up this morning and holy shit, couldn't believe how much it had blown up.

So happy for Obsidian.

FStop7

Banned
I wonder what the larger publishers make of this. Something to be capitalized on, or numbers too small for them to believe it will scale up to being worth backing these types of games again?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just got my email:

From Project Eternity said:
Congratulations!

Thanks to you and 73975 other backers, Project Eternity has been successfully funded. Amazon will now charge your credit card.

Pledge Summary
Amount pledged: $1,000.00
Reward: HELP DESIGN AN EPIC HIGH LEVEL WEAPON, ARMOR OR ARTIFACT. Help us design PROJECT ETERNITY! Your personalized item will be used by thousands of players and will be one of the best in the game. You can provide the lore, look, and type of the item (within reason), and we will put it in the shipped game. You will also receive The Complete Kickstarter Obsidian Pack ($500 reward tier) + 5 EXTRA DIGITAL DOWNLOADABLE COPIES OF PROJECT ETERNITY to gift your friends and family.
Estimated delivery: Apr 2014

When your reward is ready, Obsidian Entertainment will send you a survey via email to request any info needed to deliver your reward (mailing address, T-shirt size, etc).

Can't wait to actually get to design my item or whatever!

Yak's Loincloth of Infinite Wood

duckroll

I wonder what the larger publishers make of this. Something to be capitalized on, or numbers too small for them to believe it will scale up to being worth backing these types of games again?

The funding itself isn't a big deal to publishers. 4.1 million dollars is not considered a huge amount of budget in modern development. The real test will be how the game sells after it is released.

Minsc

Gold Member
So crazy to top 4 million. I was not fully convinced myself we'd get the 3.5 the other day, and here we are, over 4 million, past the bonus stretch goal!

Great to see everyone so happy on the live stream there, hope the game is a lot of fun to build and of course play! It's nice we get all the extra documentation and commentary and all the guides and books to go along with the game, they'll really be able to flesh out the world well.

The funding itself isn't a big deal to publishers. 4.1 million dollars is not considered a huge amount of budget in modern development. The real test will be how the game sells after it is released.

I wonder if this will spur some publishers to fund smaller niche games though. Stardock did very well with Sins of a Solar Empire and that game was funded for something ridiculous - like $0.38. If these Kickstarter projects end up selling well, it might spur something like what we saw with the indie film movement in the 90's with Miramax.

sankao

Traditional publishers had three roles: financing, distributing and marketing. Digital distribution undermines their distributing role. Kickstarter undermines their financing role. Especially considering that a studio can build more games off the proceeds of a successful wholly-owned kickstarter game. All that is left is marketing. It is still impossible for an independent studio to spend the kind of money that a FIFA or a Halo "needs".

Traditional publishers had three roles: financing, distributing and marketing. Digital distribution undermines their distributing role. Kickstarter undermines their financing role. Especially considering that a studio can build more games off the proceeds of a successful wholly-owned kickstarter game. All that is left is marketing. It is still impossible for an independent studio to spend the kind of money that a FIFA or a Halo "needs".

Well Kickstarter doesn't completely undermine the financing part. Certain games take $30+ million to make. Kickstarter is more for those niche genres that publishers think died in the early 2000's.

Minsc

Gold Member

If it all comes together like they want, I can't see it selling less than a few hundred thousand at minimum given the initial release of The Witcher 2 sold over 1 million and around 250,000 digitally during the launch period, so even that would be a nice boost to fuel the sequels / other games. Throw in a few steam sales down the road, and long term numbers should hopefully match that, around 1 million copies.

Almighty

Over 4 million, sweet. Just yesterday I thought 3.5 was setting the bar too high. Congratulations Obsidian. Now go make the game you drunks. :p

I wonder if this will spur some publishers to fund smaller niche games though. Stardock did very well with Sins of a Solar Empire and that game was funded for something ridiculous - like $0.38. If these Kickstarter projects end up selling well, it might spur something like what we saw with the indie film movement in the 90's with Miramax.

Stardock is a small publisher.

DTKT

If it all comes together like they want, I can't see it selling less than a few hundred thousand at minimum given the initial release of The Witcher 2 sold over 1 million and around 250,000 digitally during the launch period, so even that would be a nice boost to fuel the sequels / other games. Throw in a few steam sales down the road, and long term numbers should hopefully match that, around 1 million copies.

Getting 100% of the profit must also be a pretty amazing thing. For a company that toiled for scraps during the past 10 years or so, they have a great opportunity.

The Kid

Has anyone gotten a confirmation from Amazon that the funds have been transferred? I usually get it right away after a Kickstarter ends but I haven't gotten an email yet and my card hasn't been charged

Durante

Getting 100% of the profit must also be a pretty amazing thing. For a company that toiled for scraps during the past 10 years or so, they have a great opportunity.
"Only" 95%, and 66% on Steam. Still infinitely better than any deal they ever had with a publisher I'd wager.

Corto

So crazy to top 4 million. I was not fully convinced myself we'd get the 3.5 the other day, and here we are, over 4 million, past the bonus stretch goal!

Great to see everyone so happy on the live stream there, hope the game is a lot of fun to build and of course play! It's nice we get all the extra documentation and commentary and all the guides and books to go along with the game, they'll really be able to flesh out the world well.

My only experience with game development is the Double Fine documentary. This game development, considering the gigantic scope and the complexity of it all, will have very stressful moments I'm sure. And there will always be hecklers constantly reminding: "Obsidian? LOL bugs!" all the way through haunting this and I'm sure Obsidian will take pride to deliver the most humanly possible stable/polished game that they could deliver. Yeah, some episodes of the documentary will be tough.

ghostmind

mnhQn.jpg

Well, that happened.

I've been going back and forth between the $50, $140 and $250 tiers all day. I think I made the right choice. Plus a little more for the GAF Inn.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
This so much. No publishers, no rights holders, no unwanted outside influence, no being forced to use another companies hand-me-down engine, Obsidians own IP, nearly all of the very best minds in crpgs on the game... its like a reward from the gods.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
My only experience with game development is the Double Fine documentary. This game development, considering the gigantic scope and the complexity of it all, will have very stressful moments I'm sure. And there will always be hecklers constantly reminding: "Obsidian? LOL bugs!" all the way through haunting this and I'm sure Obsidian will take pride to deliver the most humanly possible stable/polished game that they could deliver. Yeah, some episodes of the documentary will be tough.
And this. im confident of their ability and there is no doubt of their heart. No worries here.

DTKT

"Only" 95%, and 66% on Steam. Still infinitely better than any deal they ever had with a publisher I'd wager.

That goes without saying, but they will have a steady stream of money once the game hits pre-orders. I just hope it's enough to let them survive. I'd hate for the Kickstarter to be so successful for the game to bomb. :(

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
That goes without saying, but they will have a steady stream of money once the game hits pre-orders. I just hope it's enough to let them survive. I'd hate for the Kickstarter to be so successful for the game to bomb. :(

They will have a steady stream of money even after release. i doubt they get anything from any NWN2, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege 3, or New Vegas sales now.. if not ever. Obsidian has their destiny in their hands.

SerRodrik

On the other hand, the game has already paid for it's own development, there's no initial investment that they have to make back or it's considered a loss. Any money they make after it's released make it a profit.

Zeliard

Someone start up a Project Eternity-related let's play marathon. :> Go through every Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian game through the next couple years.

I've actually never played Arcanum.
ibrUvJke8Ky2WP.gif
I feel less bad about admitting that given Avellone hasn't either!

Someone start up a Project Eternity-related let's play marathon. :> Go through every Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian game through the next couple years.

I've actually never played Arcanum.
ibrUvJke8Ky2WP.gif
I feel less bad about admitting that given Avellone hasn't either!

I thought a thread existed already. If not, someone experience should create one.

Top Bottom