• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Taruranto

Someone start up a Project Eternity-related let's play marathon. :> Go through every Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian game through the next couple years.

I've actually never played Arcanum.
ibrUvJke8Ky2WP.gif
I feel less bad about admitting that given Avellone hasn't either!

We may as well wait for BG1 enhanced edition and start with that. Doesn't it come out soon?

DTKT

On the other hand, the game has already paid for it's own development, there's no initial investment that they have to make back or it's considered a loss. Any money they make after it's released make it a profit.

Making a profit is not the issue, it's how much. Obsidian is not a small studio, it's a 100 or plus employees with salaries between 35k and 85k. But it doesn't matter for now and it's not worth fussing about that stuff yet. Let's celebrate the the opportunity for a talented developer to try what it does best.

As Avellone said himself : "Let's get hammered."

Has anyone gotten a confirmation from Amazon that the funds have been transferred? I usually get it right away after a Kickstarter ends but I haven't gotten an email yet and my card hasn't been charged

Yea I got the Amazon confirmation and an email from my bank that my card has been charged.

Sharp

Donations are taxed? And why would the US government tax those who pledge from outside the US?
Pretty sure that unless Obsidian turned into a nonprofit when I wasn't looking, it generally has to pay taxes on the money it receives. I just don't know how it will be classified.

Zeliard

I thought a thread existed already. If not, someone experience should create one.

There are a couple here and there like the Baldur's Gate and Torment ones. But they are largely inactive and a comprehensive multi-game one would be cool.

We may as well wait for BG1 enhanced edition and start with that. Doesn't it come out soon?

Yeah it seems like it's due out in November. Haven't really looked into what the differences are between that and modded BG1.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I thought a thread existed already. If not, someone experience should create one.
I've got quite a lot to play. Maybe I can be reasonably experienced by time this comes out. I have...

Arcanum - Pretty well into this at level 26, should probably go ahead and finish this first.
Fallout - Haven't started, got it free from GOG after being into...
Fallout 2 - Level 3 and have no clue what I'm doing
Planescape Torment - Level 5, recently got Dak'kon, forgot what I was doing but
that's kind of the point and
it has really nice notes to get me back on track
Baldur's Gate 2 - Level 8, just got Yoshimo. I was just fucking shit up in this place to get a clue as to what I was doing/what was going on.
Icewind Dale - Haven't started.

Also backed Shadowrun, which will be out before this is done. Kind-of-similar type of game.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Evilore, Shagg, Diseased Yak and everyone else who gave a fuckton: you're legends.

Hehe, nah, not me anyway, I just wanted to design my own item in the game! I've been gaming since the Atari 2600, and by far my favorite games have been the Ultimas, Gold Box D&Ds, Planescape: Torment, and such. The hundreds of hours I've spent on all these games deserve to be repaid.

The wait for 2014 is going to be a long one.

zkylon

zkylewd
No way this game won't sell fucktons. They may have gotten 4 million but only ~80k actual sales. This will make The Witcher 2 figures easily, we might've saved Obsidian... Kickstarter itself might save the games industry...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You know I've never played Baldur's Gate 1 or 2, Neverwinter Nights, or Planescape Torment (I'm going to rectify this soon) and I still donated with the full hopes that this game will be amazing.

I know Obsidian are known for great comprehensive story telling, story telling is one of my favorite parts of games, so I can't wait to see what they make.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
You know I've never played Baldur's Gate 1 or 2, Neverwinter Nights, or Planescape Torment (I'm going to rectify this soon) and I still donated with the full hopes that this game will be amazing.
Skip NWN1 and do the sequel.

I know Obsidian are known for great comprehensive story telling, story telling is one of my favorite parts of games, so I can't wait to see what they make.
In that case i would definitely start with Planescape: Torment.

No way this game won't sell fucktons. They may have gotten 4 million but only ~80k actual sales. This will make The Witcher 2 figures easily, we might've saved Obsidian... Kickstarter itself might save the games industry...
For lower-budget games, anyway. Of course, some of the best games have been relatively low-budget, so it won't be that big a deal. And I'll gladly play a well-crafted, isometric 2D game over a AAA-budget game that's pretty much schlock.

Anyway, it's amazing the team was able to meet vitually all its goals. This game was funded not just by people who want to play a good game, but also by people who wish to contribute to the creation of a great game. I sincerely hope the team ends up delivering on all fronts.

Trojita

For lower-budget games, anyway. Of course, some of the best games have been relatively low-budget, so it won't be that big a deal. And I'll gladly play a well-crafted, isometric 2D game over a AAA-budget game that's pretty much schlock.

Anyway, it's amazing the team was able to meet vitually all its goals. This game was funded not just by people who want to play a good game, but also by people who wish to contribute to the creation of a great game. I sincerely hope the team ends up delivering on all fronts.

lol I didn't even think that they thought we'd get to 4 Million. The 4 Million Dollar Goal Reward was probably last minute.

zkylon

zkylewd
I still gotta play Baldur's Gate, either of them. I imported the complete pack a couple years ago and I was dead set on playing them this year but now with the HD remake I dunno...

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
lol I didn't even think that they thought we'd get to 4 Million. The 4 Million Dollar Goal Reward was probably last minute.
i like how they basically said we are just going to improve the game instead of add something else in at the last moment. It seems like they not only got the funding to make the game they wanted (two large cities, etc) but were smart enough to not put something they didnt really want in just so it could be a reward.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So KS + Paypal = 4.1 million. Awesome! And combining the backers from both of those, does this mean 14 megadungeon levels?

i like how they basically said we are just going to improve the game instead of add something else in at the last moment. It seems like they not only got the funding to make the game they wanted (two large cities, etc) but were smart enough to not put something they didnt really want in just so it could be a reward.

Hear, hear.

zkylon

zkylewd
Except for some minor bumps like the character concept art not being up to quality and the game idea being originally a little too shrouded in mystery, I think this was a perfectly executed Kickstarter.

That it ended with a drunk MCA screaming "LETS GO GET HAMMERED" is just the cherry on top.

sankao

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but they just erased the levels below the Titan's waist from the KS page. We're back to 10 levels now. Can't say it's a bad thing, since they had clearly been drawn with less attention to details than the upper ones. Hopefully we get the definitive version soon.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but they just erased the levels below the Titan's waste from the KS page. We're back to 10 levels now. Can't say it's a bad thing, since they had clearly been drawn with less attention to details than the upper ones. Hopefully we get the definitive version soon.

Refresh your page. They're still there.

SerRodrik

Except for some minor bumps like the character concept art not being up to quality and the game idea being originally a little too shrouded in mystery, I think this was a perfectly executed Kickstarter.

That it ended with a drunk MCA screaming "LETS GO GET HAMMERED" is just the cherry on top.

Perfect way to end the stream.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I've only played it for a few hours. I remember the combat being really bad, but the role playing stuff was great. For example, NPCs would reaction if you walked around naked and stuff like that.
You just have to make sure it's not the realtime combat.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
So happy I could pee myself. High hopes, high hopes. Locked in for my beta key.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hopefully we see confirmation that paypal contributed to both the dungeon and the 4 mil goal. All the pages still act like we havent reached them.

Trojita

So was the date when choosing the tier, April 2014, just a placeholder? It said that was when the deliverable would be sent.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hopefully we see confirmation that paypal contributed to both the dungeon and the 4 mil goal. All the pages still act like we havent reached them.
They said in the stream there was only like 130k to go, and the math wouldn't add up if they didn't add the Paypal stuff.

We reached the 4 mil, rest easy.

Zeliard

I'm excited to check out Arcanum. Heard lots about it throughout the years, good and bad. It seems like it a very ambitious title, which is always a plus to me even if it doesn't all quite work.

It's only $6 on GOG as well.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I'm excited to check out Arcanum. Heard lots about it throughout the years, good and bad. It seems like it a very ambitious title, which is always a plus to me even if it doesn't all quite work.

i dont like Arcanum. i had very high expectations for it though and havent been able to get back into it since release. So despite me personally not being thrilled with the game i suggest you try it out. Lots of people love it.

zkylon

zkylewd

Like everybody says, the combat is really really bad, but if you can get past that, the quest design is second to none. I just set the game to very easy and destroyed everything in half a turn, and concentrated on the questing.

DTKT

Man, they made 600k during the last day.

I hope those are genuine backers and not some gigantic troll attempt. :|

Top Bottom