• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Gattsu25

Banned
Posted this in the udder thread but here's mine:

fb25C.png

Gattsu25

Banned
i dont know about anyone else but i held off my pledge until the final hour so i could be part of the last minute surge.

I wanted to up my original pledge for some add-ons and checked the page to find that it was ending in the next 8 minutes. I wasn't originally planning on waiting until the last few minutes.

Grayman

4 million nice. I see I missed 12 pages of hype in this thread. Now the hard part is waiting for at least a year and a half.

Now which RPG do I play to celebrate?

darksagus

Funded $50 for the all the digital goodies. Now I've gotta play all the Infinity Engine games between now and release. Gonna start with NWN first though I think, it's close enough.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Funded $50 for the all the digital goodies. Now I've gotta play all the Infinity Engine games between now and release. Gonna start with NWN first though I think, it's close enough.
i know opinions and all but NWN1 is a bad idea. Its nothing like the IE games.

rakhir

Yeah, don't play NWN, it's not worth the time.

Start with the best ones, i recommend going straight to BG2, but BG is still good too.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yeah, don't play NWN, it's not worth the time.
Besides the fact that i believe the game is bad all around its also:

a) not by the developers of Project Eternity
b) not even in the same vein as what Project Eternity is shooting for
c) one of the worst rpgs to play in terms of.. well.. everything, imo. The only redeeming quality of the game is the fan created scenarios. i know i said despite the fact but fuck it lol

Grayman

4 million nice. I see I missed 12 pages of hype in this thread. Now the hard part is waiting for at least a year and a half.

Now which RPG do I play to celebrate?

I decided to play a stupid character in fallout 2. So stupid that he died fighting the stationary plants in the village with a spear. RIP Dor.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I decided to play a stupid character in fallout 2. So stupid that he died fighting the stationary plants in the village with a spear. RIP Dor.

I have become quite rich as a stupid character in Fallout by smuggling people. Then I got bored.

and by the way, are there any really memorable scenarios for NWN1?

Erethian

The previews for that game seemed so promising, but the end product was less than satisfying. Story wasn't all that great and my OCD along with the crate/barrel insanity combined to make playing it pretty tedious.

Between this, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and the CDProjekt Cyberpunk game, the cRPG crowd is in for some really good games going forward.

I've been happy with the Western RPG output this generation so far but it's nice to have a bunch of PC exclusive ones that cater to the mouse and keyboard crowd.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wake up to this having made $4.1m. Jesus.

Feargus did say they would be back to work tomorrow morning. That might be possible. They started partying at east coast 10, so if they stopped partying at East Coast 3am they could make it in. I somehow doubt it. But they did start the party early in the office, so they might not have made it very far in the wild.

rakhir

Besides the fact that i believe the game is bad all around its also:

a) not by the developers of Project Eternity
b) not even in the same vein as what Project Eternity is shooting for
c) one of the worst rpgs to play in terms of.. well.. everything, imo. The only redeeming quality of the game is the fan created scenarios. i know i said despite the fact but fuck it lol
I was in denial for the whole two acts, i couldn't face the fact that's the game is shit. I quit in the third act, when i figured out i will do the exact same stuff before - go to the map north of hub city, go through five dungeon floors, go back to the city, do the same in the west, east and south of the city and finish the act. Even Aribeth, the only good character in the game, couldn't make me complete the game.

If there's NWN worth playing is the second one - made by Obsidian. Starts fairly generic, but everything picks up and it's a blast for the rest of the game.

I'm so hyped for PE right now that I think i need to play some infinity engine games. It's been a while i touched any Icewind Dale stuff, for example....

Kurtofan

They'll probably leave the PayPal window open for a bit. Eventually they will probably want to scale down to digital only, but if you were looking for physical you can probably still get it in that way.

Kickstarter is telling me I'm still a backer and that I can fix my payment by using a different credit card.

Eusis

Too bad NWN2's become annoying to find, and GameFly pulled the downloads they had offered. Well, I still have my keys at least, I can probably install from a borrowed DVD and just use my D2D key on it. Second expansion will be a pain, but then it's the second one I want to play most.

Damn though, should've just bit the bullet and rebought on Steam with the first sale, I didn't think Hasbro would be assholes and not bother keeping the game up with them as publisher there and elsewhere, nevermind PULLING the download from places that bothered to put it back up. :/

ekim

Ah oh... just got the mail from amazon about my payment:
Payment details:
---------------
Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Recipient: Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.
Amount: $20.00
For: Pledging $110.00 on Kickstarter.

... I upped my pledge to 110$ 2 days ago but it seems they only charged me 20$ ?

never had any problems

Apparently problems in Win7 are related to which version of DirectX you've installed (much like for example Jade Empire it requires DirectX9). Also it seems to help if you run the game in Win XP compatibility mode. But anyway, in the end is does seem to work after some tweaking.

So, Obsidian is saved?

Only a part of the company will be working on Project Eternity (like 25-30 people out of 100 if I'm not mistaken). The other part is working on the South Park game I assume. When that's done, who knows what will happen. Even when PE turns out to be a great success, will they be able to keep 100 people employed?

Fjordson

Fucking awesome result. Now begins the difficult wait =[

I pray Shadowrun Returns and/or Wasteland 2 are out next year to tide me over (and end up being good).

Eusis

Only a part of the company will be working on Project Eternity (like 25-30 people out of 100 if I'm not mistaken). The other part is working on the South Park game I assume. When that's done, who knows what will happen. Even when PE turns out to be a great success, will they be able to keep 100 people employed?
Hopefully they'll find something else for those people to make.

Top Bottom