• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Lancehead

Ok right. With the main player character though, are they templates or is that going to be a blank slate character? Perhaps we don't know at this point.

They'd already be at a certain character level, and pre-selected skills/spells, when you recruit them. After that you'll have control over their progression.

If you want to create party members from scratch, then there's a place in the game where you can do that by creating mercenaries.

mclem

4mil milestone was to improve every aspect of the game. I expect that we will get a polished final project. If we don't I count on some good patch support following its launch.

I suspect they're dependent on the performance of the beta testers to some extent; their own QA department will be able to test explicit situations nicely but will struggle to stress-test all the emergent possibilities. The beta will be key.

zkylon

zkylewd
update-31-avellone.jpg

Maces rock

Lancehead

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501465

Hello to you all.
I know there are a lot of Project Eternity (Obsidian Entertainment's Kickstarter RPG) backers here, and non-backers that still might have interest in the game. So, today I asked Adam Brennecke, Project Director of Project Eternity if he'd be willing to anwser some questions from NeoGAF members. He didn't mind at all, so I thought I'd set this whole thing up. The questions will be sent to him this Thursday (Nov. 29), so I want you guys to start asking away. (Let's try to keep this serious.)

Here's the official Project Eternity wiki for those of you who don't know much about the game.

Ask your questions in that thread, people.

_machine

His work on Wasteland 2 is finished (except for the novella).
Had some really "cool ideas" for Alpha Protocol 2 before Sega said no.
:(

I absolutely loved Alpha Protocol even with it's average gameplay mechanics, but who knows, maybe there's still room for a spiritual successor at some point in the future.

zkylon

zkylewd
An hour-long podcast with Avellone: http://koobismo.deviantart.com/art/In-the-Workshop-with-Chris-Avellone-340072181

It's pretty good. The most important fact learned from the podcast is that Avellone is worth whole of $300.

Other interesting bits:
Would like System Shock 3.
Just listened to it, it was a pretty good interview. That girl was giggling like crazy, and that would probably be me if I ever get to meet him (would be pretty cool to catch a ride and go to Brazil GDC and see if I can give him a hug).

Dresden

An hour-long podcast with Avellone: http://koobismo.deviantart.com/art/In-the-Workshop-with-Chris-Avellone-340072181

It's pretty good. The most important fact learned from the podcast is that Avellone is worth whole of $300.

Other interesting bits:
Would like System Shock 3.

God, I'd like another Alpha Protocol.

Maybe go isometric with the superspy setting and start a kickstarter for a spiritual sequel???

injurai

Banned
Just listened to it, it was a pretty good interview. That girl was giggling like crazy, and that would probably be me if I ever get to meet him (would be pretty cool to catch a ride and go to Brazil GDC and see if I can give him a hug).

fangirl, I would be giggling too though. It is THE Chris Avellone.

Also excellent interview, it was very well down, and Chris is great at taking questions.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
New PE update, with the terrible concept art now realized in appropriately terrible 3d model form.

EdairInGameModel.jpg

MedicineBallFlail.jpg

AumauaBarbarian.jpg

dotdotdot

HoosTrax

Looks like progress to me!
73494255.png

Even with DA:O, if you play it in isometric, the character models are nothing special to look at.

PS:T was kind of an anomaly since you're zoomed in a bit more, and well...Morte.

inm8num2

Maybe too early, but I sort of regret backing this one. They had enough money, and it's not like I wouldn't have been able to get the game when it came out.

Prax

Yep.
That's DnD art alright! XD
This is why I stayed away from most western rpgs back in the day, actually. But I've slowly learned to just accept the style for what it is... (Kind of awkwardly realistic and bland).

I think it's really the faces that makes it bad though. A prettier, more stylized face could go a long way.

DTKT

I hate how smooth that smug little warrior looks. With his generic leather coat and generic short sword. It looks so "Yep, we made the most generic looking thing we could".

It doesn't help that the concept art is pretty bland and they are refusing to use colors.

I wonder if I'll end up regretting this one.

Just give me some colors Obsidian.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Looks like progress to me!
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4594/73494255.png[IMG]

Even with DA:O, if you play it in isometric, the character models are nothing special to look at.

PS:T was kind of an anomaly since you're zoomed in a bit more, and well...Morte.[/QUOTE]

True, but there's two things fueling this I think. One we are invested in this literally and figuratively, so it's a little disheartening to see it not being top notch. Second, a lot of people are perfectionists and slightly OCD so even if 80% of the time they can barely notice it that other 20 week bug the shut out of them.

hemtae

Obsidian: Don't freak out!
GAF: *Freaks out*

That being said, I'm not entirely thrilled with it either and I wish they wouldn't have shown it if they weren't ready. Also I do have pretty low standards regarding character design.

DTKT

I mean seriously, that warrior thing is the most generic thing I have ever seen. It could fit as the boiler plate "finesse" warrior in any D&D manual. That's not a compliment.

You need to start out strong and everything you show needs to be top notch. If you can't produce enough content for an update every week then don't. I understand the idea of keeping us backers in the loop but if it means we get updates with the incomplete stuff, we are better off not seeing everything. I mean, I actually quite like both of the last art shots. They could look much more impressive if we had some color.

The fact that nothing is colored is just quite strange.

Top Bottom