• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Wait so it didn't win?

angrypandatipover.gif

FACE

Banned
Two combat encounters if you're playing it wrong. My planned playthrough will have zero combat encounters.

Then I'll replay the game and murder everyone in glorious turn-based combat.

Sensuki

Neo Member
Could be a troll ;)

But ... tbh I wouldn't put it past them. It has proven to be a more successful model than the closed funding method of Kickstarter.

Labadal

Could be a troll ;)

But ... tbh I wouldn't put it past them. It has proven to be a more successful model than the closed funding method of Kickstarter.

Well, the backer site will eventually provide them with more funds. Maybe enough for some extra stretch goals. Maybe they are for the expansion that we will get in the future.

injurai

Banned
spectacular. My only complaint is that the tall grass doesn't hug their ankles and is obviously a 2D plane, especially in comparison to that purple shield.

but whatever, everything else is amazing

Sentenza

Rough animations but I'm so glad this isn't turn based, loved that teaser!
Eh, if anything, they reinforced my opinion that voting turn based for Torment was for the best.
These are exactly the kind of cheap character models/wonky animations I wouldn't love to play in a real-time game.
I'm sure it will be fine enough to be enjoyable, but people who want to make real time combat in RPGs should definitely look at modern RTS (Starcraft II, DOTA 2, Dawn of War, CoH, etc) to get what's the modern standard to match.

injurai

Banned
hmm I'm getting an error with their checkout process, maybe they are overloaded right now

Eh, if anything, they reinforced my opinion that voting turn based for Torment was for the best.
These are exactly the kind of cheap character models/wonky animations I wouldn't love to play in a real-time game.
I'm sure it will be fine enough to be enjoyable, but people who want to make real time combat in RPGs should definitely look at modern RTS (Starcraft II, DOTA 2, Dawn of War, CoH, etc) to get what's the modern standard to match.

lest we forget this is a crowd funded game

Sentenza

lest we forget this is a crowd funded game
But I didn't.
I just think that a professional studio (which Obsidian is supposed to be) should be more than capable of offering one-inch-high character models with decent animations that can match modern standards.
We aren't talking about matching Uncharted or The Witcher 3 in detail, here.

But I didn't.
I just think that a professional studio (which Obsidian is supposed to be) should be more than capable of offering one-inch-high character models with decent animations that can match modern standards.

It's just a teaser. A lot can change still.

injurai

Banned
But I didn't.

Fair enough, Dota 2 certainly looks really clean in the animations department which has a similar camera perspective.

O.DOGG

Just saw the video. Very pleased with the results. Now I need to read those interviews and look into funding another companion.

EDIT: Have an ogre!

poe_ogre.gif

Top Bottom