• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

zkylon

zkylewd
yea there are no alignments, you just have three major stats that govern your moral compass: avelloneness, sawyerness and cainness aka chaotic evilness, lawful neutralness and neutral goodness respectively

zkylon

zkylewd
this is beautiful, where are the wook carving reward tiers man...
pe-water-tunnel-ext.jpg

I dunno if this is art from the game or just random images from google but still it conveys the style they're going for. I really like the spanish tiled roofs building style thingie, it's very unusual

zkylon

zkylewd
I've had one of those, but you gotta spend big time on a very good rig to be able to run it lag-free

I'm fine with my super small wacom fun :3

inm8num2

Good update. It's been awhile since we've seen a Sawyer video, though. I wonder what kind of facial hair configuration he's sporting now?

hemtae

I always say I want to be that when ever we get a class update. It's going to take me forever to settle on a character.

TeoLolstoi

Neo Member
this is beautiful, where are the wook carving reward tiers man...

I dunno if this is art from the game or just random images from google but still it conveys the style they're going for. I really like the spanish tiled roofs building style thingie, it's very unusual

First picture on the left is probably Vailian. Looks awesome. Why haven't I seen those pictures before?

Labadal

Some answered questions on the forum. Most important bit of info I got out of it is that there will be no story spoilers for the beta. Excellent news.

From the top of my head... How are the following things going, still in progress, ahh that's on a white board out the back and must get to it, oh yeah need to get around to doing that, etc ...

1. Demo of the game / vertical slice.
2. Fulfilment website
3. Forums badges
4. Name and design an Item, NPC, enemy adventuring party, inn, etc for backers who are at this tier level. (I believe the inn backers have been contacted). Or is this connected with the fullfilment site
5. Memorial stone in game
6. How the physical goods are coming along: Cloth map, patch, hardcover book, t-shirt, playing cards, etc. Any success in obtaining suppliers, using the same supplier as InXile.
7. Linux and Mac versions and how they're going. Challenges, successes, etc
8. An Audio update
9. How are the novellas going with MCA
10. Tim's cooking book

No pressure at all. :) The only thing I'm really hanging out for is Tim's cooking book. Everything else is meh. :lol:
Hi Hiro! Hope all is well!

1. The Vertical Slice has been done for some time, and right now we are over two months into production. We aren't planning on releasing a playable demo of the Vertical Slice or releasing a video of the VS. I know you are dying to see the game in action. Hopefully soon :)

2 - 6. You will get some more info on all of this soon. I apologize that it's taking us so long. The badges, memorial stone, item, NPC, adventuring party, and portraits will be connected with the fulfillment site. I've seen it! It's looking great.

7. Mac version is going good, and we are working on the Linux version. Unity makes it easy with porting it over, which has made my life easier.

8. Justin has been pretty busy with composing new music for the game, and has been working with real live musicians (and choir) recently. I was present at a rehearsal session last week, and it's an awesome experience to hear the music played live.

9 - 10. The novella and Tim's cooking book is going to be released with the game. I don't want to step on their toes - but everything is coming along well.

Cheers!
-Adam

Hail Sensuki,

The Fog of War is alright. I'm still not happy with it, so more work is to be done on it. The UI is coming along - the inventory screen is almost to alpha. Josh, and Kaz have spent a long time debating on how the inventory should work, and I think we have something that is functional and easy to use. We still haven't hired a VFX person for the project, and we have been using other people to create VFX in the meantime. The audio will be compressed b/c of file sizes - I'm not sure of the compression. We have done tests for dynamic hair but it's not in the game yet. We will revisit it down the road if time permits.

-Adam

The backer beta will not contain story spoilers. We are still discussing exactly what we want to do for it.

Things are going really well. The game is playable, mostly feature complete, runs well, and the team is able to work productively. All of those items are key for being able to make a good game.

Labadal

A Project Eternity session will be held at GDC Next 10 on November 6th by Josh Sawyer.

Gathering Your Party with Project Eternity (GDC Next 10)
Josh Sawyer | Project Director, Obsidian Entertainment

Date: Wednesday, November 06
Time: 4:15pm-4:45pm

Format: Session
Discipline: Design & UI
Track: Future of Gaming
Vault Recording: Video

This talk will feature the retro-evolution of classic 2D RPG elements in Obsidian Entertainment's Project Eternity. From the challenges of creating massive, dynamically-lit isometric environments to trusting in players' vivid imaginations and problem-solving capabilities, Project Eternity poses some interesting challenges to its veteran team. To find the right balance between using contemporary development practices and meeting classic RPG expectations, the developers have solicited community feedback, returned to past titles and, of course, played a bunch of D&D. Join us on an adventure fraught with wonders and perils more dazzling than the Warlock's Crypt!

Takeaway
Attendees will learn how 13440 x 7560 renders sound cool until you see how big they are on disk, how classic challenge is good, as long as you avoid classic obfuscation, and how a few words with a loose illustration can be a scene's greatest illustrator.

pa22word

While this topic is still bumped: does anyone know how plan to distribute the WL2 keys that were offered in some of the higher pledge tiers? Will they give them out when WL2 releases or when PE releases?

inm8num2

While this topic is still bumped: does anyone know how plan to distribute the WL2 keys that were offered in some of the higher pledge tiers? Will they give them out when WL2 releases or when PE releases?

I would guess much closer to when WL2 releases, but I haven't seen any official word.

Labadal

When WL2 releases, I am 99,99% sure of this. Anything else wouldn't make any sense.

Btw: No update this week.

duckroll

No update last week and no update this week? That's kinda weird. I thought they would have wanted to have a special update celebrating the first year milestone since they got funded, but I guess they're busy actually working! :)

Perkel

Banned
No update last week and no update this week? That's kinda weird. I thought they would have wanted to have a special update celebrating the first year milestone since they got funded, but I guess they're busy actually working! :)

I wonder how much community stuff takes from developement...

zkylon

zkylewd

I think they said they were taking a week off the updates but I can't find it

but yeah, I already miss 'em

Labadal

Small update incoming today. We'll have to wait for the big one.

Some interesting quotes from the Obsidian forum:

Differences between accuracy and defense shift the entire scale point for point.

20 Accuracy vs. 20 Deflection = 5% Miss, 45% Graze, 45% Hit, 5% Crit
25 Accuracy vs. 20 Deflection = 0% Miss, 45% Graze, 45% Hit, 10% Crit
15 Accuracy vs. 20 Deflection = 10% Miss, 45% Graze, 45% Hit, 0% Crit
97 Accuracy vs. 52 Deflection = 0% Miss, 5% Graze, 45% Hit, 50% Crit

No matter what the difference between accuracy and defense are, it's always possible for the attacker to Graze or Hit. However, through advantage or deficit, the attacker can eliminate the possibility of Miss and Crit. Certain classes have abilities that shift these bands. E.g. rogues have Dirty Fighting, which increases their Crit range. Fighters have Confident Aim, which increases their Graze range. They can also gain Critical Defense, which -- you guessed it -- makes it more difficult for enemies to score Crits against them.

A Graze halves incoming damage, before armor. Damage is almost always applied to Stamina, with Health damage being derived from Stamina damage at a (typically) 1:4 ratio.

Let's say an attack (the source doesn't really matter) would do 20-28 points of damage on a capital-H Hit. The target has 6 points of Damage Threshold against this damage type. The attack hits and does 24 points of damage. Armor takes off 6 points, leaving 18 points of Stamina damage, which in turn means the target takes 4.5 points of Health damage (yes, we do track fractions).

On a Graze, the same 24 points of damage is immediately reduced to 12 points of damage. 6 points come off, leaving 6 points of Stamina damage and 1.5 points of Health damage.

Quoted: J.E Sawyer.

I'm happy we have misses back in the game, although I already knew about this, some people might not have known.

Well spotted! Pillars of Eternity works well enough, though to me it sounds a little silly and more like a JRPG title, and I'd prefer the simpler 'Eternity'.

injurai

Banned
those areas look nice

all I want to see is more updates, but obviously they need to save most of the game for release. Did they finish their vertical slice?

those areas look nice

all I want to see is more updates, but obviously they need to save most of the game for release. Did they finish their vertical slice?

They did indeed - quite a while back now, I think - but I seem to recall they said in one of the updates that we'd likely not see it.

Top Bottom