• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

adamma666

abh35.png

What have I done

0193_wlqq6.gif

Drazgul

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/109456-project-eternity-interview/page-2.html

GameBanshee interview said:
Buck: Speaking of dialogue, are you also using the Infinity Engine games as a source of inspiration for how to handle dialogue trees and voiceovers? Will there be voiceovers for major cutscenes and for flavor at the start of a conversation, but vast branches of dialogue that are text-only? Will our attributes, abilities, or previous actions affect our dialogue choices?

Feargus: Our goal is to use voice over as flavor and not as something that exists for every written word in the game. We don’t want to cut down on the depth of dialogs or the number of choices that players have because we are counting voice over dollars. That means, like practically every Obsidian project to date, we are going to push the boundaries of reactivity in our dialogs. And, the more we get funded the more we can do that.

There you have it, folks. They know what they're doing. ;)

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
A year ago, I would've backed this strongly, no question. Now, I'm not sure. I might. The developer pedigree is peerless, of course, but:

* I question the originality of the setting, judging by the world map.
* This is going to tie up Avellone and put any Planescape: Torment spiritual successor on the back burner.
* I don't want real-time-with-pause combat. Once XCOM comes out and blows people away, designers are going to start to realize the true potential of turn-based gaming, and this project is going to feel full of squandered potential.
* This isn't the only game in town. There are already some very promising turn-based RPGs on the horizon, in particular Wasteland 2, and my standards for Kickstarting have risen as a result.

Did the $20 because he even if the game is not that good for 20 that is no big deal.
And i can't wait on that one because within a few min that will be sold out.

Lime

Backed with $80...

However, this KS page severely lacks something that shows the direction of the game: Concept art, design document, prototype video, visual slice, etc.

If it was any other company than a developer with credentials, I would think it's a pretty bad Kickstarter in terms of info.

is this the highest initial asking price for one of these gamestarters?

wasteland 2 - 900k
double fine - 400k
shadowrun - 400k
spaceventure - 500k
camoflaj title i didnt back - 550k
eternity - 1,100k

i think there was some space exploration game i am missing. any one have an example in excess of the 1.1m? i do think they will get it no problem, but is it the highest?

Sharp

Put in my $35. I really hope this succeeds. I want this to be a big middle finger to publishers like Bethesda, EA, & Square-Enix. I'd much rather see developers creating the games they feel passionate about, rather than just targeting whatever specific market segment their publisher is aiming for.
Bethesda, EA, and Square-Enix release great games too. I don't understand why people want to label publishers as evil; all they want to do is make sure the games they make are profitable. By backing games like this, we can show them that there is a market for these games after all.

Digoman

They need a higher "all digital" reward so I can give them more money... only $35 for now.

Yeah, the presentation is a little light on details, but this team has the track record, and the little infos about the world we get on video are already intersting. Besides... it's a top-down RPG from Obsidian with no publisher involved, that all that needs to be said.

Hari Seldon

* I don't want real-time-with-pause combat. Once XCOM comes out and blows people away, designers are going to start to realize the true potential of turn-based gaming, and this project is going to feel full of squandered potential.

I love what you are saying about XCOM, but I think real time with pause can work and work very well. I recently got around to playing Jagged Alliance Back in Action (the new Jagged Alliance game that came out late last year IIRC). And the real time with pause system in that game is fantastic. I can live with a system like that in an RPG. I love turn based as well, but there is room for both.

vareon

"isometric, party-based RPG"

Yep, I can understand why they used Kickstarter. Isometric is kinda something big publishers fear nowadays.

Lime

But seriously, it seems kind of arrogant not to give any specific information whatsoever about the game. I hope they devolve something before the end of the KS.

DTKT

Backed with $80...

However, this KS page severely lacks something that shows the direction of the game: Concept art, design document, prototype video, visual slice, etc.

If it was any other company than a developer with credentials, I would think it's a pretty bad Kickstarter in terms of info.

I have to agree with that.

That video really doesn't show much and concept art goes a long way. I mean, Planetary Annihilation would have never reached 2.2mil if it wasn't for that first video. That's what sold everyone on the idea of a TA successor.

They really need to add some more stuff.

Lancehead

A year ago, I would've backed this strongly, no question. Now, I'm not sure. I might. The developer pedigree is peerless, of course, but:

* This is going to tie up Avellone and put any Planescape: Torment spiritual successor on the back burner.
* This isn't the only game in town. There are already some very promising turn-based RPGs on the horizon, in particular Wasteland 2, and my standards for Kickstarting have risen as a result.

Yeah the map looks like Middle Earth, but we shall see how the worldbuilding is.
Your second concern is somewhat confusing. Do you need it right now?

jtb

Banned

I don't see why this can't be along those lines (at least plot/character-wise). I mean, he's already made two games along the lines of a "Planescape: Torment spiritual successor," I'm sure a lot of Avellone's favorite themes will be present here too.

kswiston

is this the highest initial asking price for one of these gamestarters?

wasteland 2 - 900k
double fine - 400k
shadowrun - 400k
spaceventure - 500k
camoflaj title i didnt back - 550k
eternity - 1,100k

i think there was some space exploration game i am missing. any one have an example in excess of the 1.1m? i do think they will get it no problem, but is it the highest?

I don't follow this sort of thing super closely, but Planetary Annihilation had a $900k goal, and a few others were in that range too. Not sure if this is the first over $1M not counting hardware though.

In other news, this is my first Kickstarter pledge. I came close on a few of the others, but decided that they were probably things I would have waited to go on sale on Steam if Kickstarter didn't exist, so I will just get them after release. Looking forward to playing whatever this ends up being in 18 months.

Caesnd

I'm going to put off backing this til they show something more. Right now, the way they try to push this project with basically just their names doesn't sit well with me.

volturnus

Banned
I've got to admit, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't tell us any details about the game except "It got all the best parts of all the best games we've developed". Avellone was talking so long about starting a Kickstarter that I assume that they already have dozens of concepts flying around.

Same for story. The quotes of the last days makes it seem as if they've already significant parts of the plot outlined. Why not share anything?

Though, I guess they are saving some stuff for future updates. You've got to keep the attention after all.
There isn't much yet, sure, but 90% of Wasteland 2 backers pledged because they expect to get the sequel to ''a great classic RPG that inspired Fallout'' and because popular devs and journalists praise it. The Kickstarter page itself wasn't very good either. All in all, you're betting on their word and their history if you want it to happen, just as one had to with DF and Wasteland 2.
Plus, InXile Entertainment doesn't have a background nearly as good as Obsidian's.

Decado

I agree on all points, though I would like to say that RTwP combat systems haven't realized their full potential. TBed will always be better, IMO, but RTwP could definitely be great with the right attention to detail.

KingKong

that map and its location names look like a joke, seriously. I mean, "Free Palatinate of Dyrwood", "Pearlwood Gulf", "The Pearl Coast"?

Dennis

Banned
I'm glad this project exists, and I did contribute some money, but I'm actually beginning to hit my limit with Kickstarters since I've yet to actually have one of the things I've backed come out. I feel like this is probably my last one.

I don't know what games you have kickstarted but as most of them seems to be 1+ years before completion long waits to see the outcome of your investment seems inevitable where games are concerned.

Majeh

So, looked on gaf to see what the stupid countdown obsidian had turned out to be. 5 minutes later I'm looking at a kickstarter screen congratulating me for backing my first project without having looked at the details of it. <3 Obsidian

Alchemy

I want to support Obsidian, but am completely tired of high fantasy DnD style RPGs. The fact the game's logo is an Ouroboros is extremely off putting. Switch the setting to space/timetravel/bill 'n ted/Idon'tgiveafuckjustsomethingdifferent and I'm in for $20.

Vamphuntr

I was actually expecting some concept arts of the characters and enemies and more details about the game. In the other thread people saying this game was only in pre production got attacked badly and it seems they were right after all.

I'll wait and see if they actually add content to the page before the end.

Aeana

I don't know what games you have kickstarted but as most of them seems to be 1+ years before completion long waits to see the outcome of your investment seems inevitable where games are concerned.

It's inevitable, yes. I'm just saying that I've just about hit my limit, is all. It's a personal issue.

Easiest $20 I ever spent.

This will be my fourth kickstarted game:

1) Shadowrun Returns

2) Wasteland 2

3) Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG

4) Project Eternity

Four RPGs that in a better world would have publishers throwing money at them like there was no tomorrow.

My exact list + the Banner Saga. Fist bump.

tumblr_m75sp5CXKC1rb9xcho1_500_large.jpg

Well, this will probably be the first KS project I'll back. Just have to figure out how much I can afford to give.. Really would like the boxed version.. :p

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Pledged 80 dollars. This concept sounds utterly fantastic and I would love to have the box edition <3

Top Bottom