• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

hemtae

I want to support Obsidian, but am completely tired of high fantasy DnD style RPGs. The fact the game's logo is an Ouroboros is extremely off putting. Switch the setting to space/timetravel/bill 'n ted/Idon'tgiveafuckjustsomethingdifferent and I'm in for $20.

I didn't know there had been an influx of DnD style RPGs recently.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I love what you are saying about XCOM, but I think real time with pause can work and work very well. I recently got around to playing Jagged Alliance Back in Action (the new Jagged Alliance game that came out late last year IIRC). And the real time with pause system in that game is fantastic. I can live with a system like that in an RPG. I love turn based as well, but there is room for both.
RTWP is okay, but pure turn-based combat has a lot of advantages (especially for party-based gameplay). And yes, there's room for both types of systems, but in an industry where RTWP has dominated for a long time, I want the pendulum to swing back towards TB.

Yeah the map looks like Middle Earth, but we shall see how the worldbuilding is.
Your second concern is somewhat confusing. Do you need it right now?
The sooner, the better.

I don't see why this can't be along those lines (at least plot/character-wise). I mean, he's already made two games along the lines of a "Planescape: Torment spiritual successor," I'm sure a lot of Avellone's favorite themes will be present here too.
It's not just about writing quality or thematics--if Avellone's involved, I'm very confident about both of those--it's also about a setting that isn't limited by sword-and-sorcery fantasy tropes. Like, Mask of the Betrayer was excellent, but it felt constrained by the Forgotten Realms setting in comparison to Planescape: Torment's almost complete freedom. I don't want to judge too much based on a single map, but I am a little concerned.

Acidote

100K!

nCI3G.png

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Wow, this is the best gaming news I think I've ever heard. As someone who grew up on iso-rpg's like Torment and such (and older ones, like Ultima, etc.), this is the greatest thing ever.

With that being said, I'm now one of 2 folks so far that pledged $1000 to get to name and design a weapon.... I'm thinking of something along the lines of a Yak-related name.

Sharp

Judging from the comments, Obsidian missed out on a lot of potential $10,000 backers by charging the extra $30...

SkyandSun

Banned
I loved PS:T despite Infinity Engine, not because of it. The combat was mainly a chore and not particularly enjoyable. RTwP always felt like a publisher concession vs turnbased, to me, so... yeah. Hm.

O.DOGG

In for $100. Fuck it, I'll pay for it out of my next salary. Torment is my favorite game, I wouldn't give less.

Lancehead

It's not just about writing quality or thematics--if Avellone's involved, I'm very confident about both of those--it's also about a setting that isn't limited by sword-and-sorcery fantasy tropes. Like, Mask of the Betrayer was excellent, but it felt constrained by the Forgotten Realms setting in comparison to Planescape: Torment's almost complete freedom. I don't want to judge too much based on a single map, but I am a little concerned.

We're digressing here but I felt MotB was held back by D&D only because of the ruleset and not FR. The Spirit Eater mechanic could've been great without the D&D ruleset to adhere to, for example.

As for this project, Sawyer's latest blog gives me confidence that the setting won't be a hindrance.

pmj

Probably won't back this since it seems to be a Steam-only (windows?) game.

Feargus Urquhart says in the gamebanshee interview that they hope to add Mac and Linux versions based on the how it goes with the tech and how successful the kickstarter is.

rbenchley

That tiny sentence highlights just how strong my love for Obsidian is. If this was from anyone else but them I'd be out right now. Party based, fantasy and isometric are 3 things I don't like much but I will tolerate for my favorite developers. Will gladly throw my support in when I can get more money.

I'm on the fence about this one. On one hand, I love the writing in Obsidian games. Fallout:NV, Alpha Protocol, KOTOR II, all great stuff. On the other hand I didn't grow up playing their isometric RPGs at the time and my attempts to go back and play Fallout 2, Arcanium and Planescape via GOG have not gone well. Too much hinderance by slow, cluncky interfaces and I feel the pulled back perspective hurts immersion.

Same for me. I hate fixed camera, isometric games with tiny characters and I hate "real time" with pause games (do turn based or do action RPG). To me, the greatness in their games is the quality of the writing; the mechanics on their older games are tedious. On the other hand, games like Alpha Protocol and New Vegas have brought me a lot of pleasure throughout the years, so I'm going to donate anyway. They've earned it.

Sotha Sil

I loved PS:T despite Infinity Engine, not because of it. The combat was mainly a chore and not particularly enjoyable. RTwP always felt like a publisher concession vs turnbased, to me, so... yeah. Hm.

Well PST is a pretty bad example of RTwP gameplay; I hated its mechanics, but found BG/ID gameplay and interface extremely enjoyable.

volturnus

Banned
Wow, this is the best gaming news I think I've ever heard. As someone who grew up on iso-rpg's like Torment and such (and older ones, like Ultima, etc.), this is the greatest thing ever.

With that being said, I'm now one of 2 folks so far that pledged $1000 to get to name and design a weapon.... I'm thinking of something along the lines of a Yak-related name.
Some boards gathered backers and put a single pledge of high-tier rewards in many projects before.
duckroll should get backers together and pledge $3000, it gives a custom inn/tavern + custom NPC and epic weapon.

I respect the part where they said they're doing this to create a game with mature themes, that for sure is something publishers won't touch nowadays.
To pubs nowadays, Mature means tits and blood. I trust Obsidian to focus on that.

Saty

And it'll be PC only, because Avellone is "tired of designing content and interactions that caters to consoles and console controllers."

"Those limitations affect RPG mechanics and content more than players may realize (especially for players who've never played a PC RPG and realize what's been lost over the years), and often doesn't add to the RPG experience," he told me.
oh snap.

SkyandSun

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I backed without even reading the Kickstarter - it's Obsidian making a game they want to make, so i have faith.

I just think they firstly need to say what makes the setting appealing to them - why have they chosen, so far, generic-sounding fantasy, what's going to make that special? They are not constrained by publishers, so they've actively chosen this setting as something more appealing over something more immediately unique (Eg. Planescape). I want to know why, though.

Secondly, the tiers are not so great at the level I am looking to pledge. I would have given more than $35 if there had been something there for me (I'm an international customer).

Thirdly, IMO RTwP was never a fun combat system. I remember the debates and arguments in the Black Isle days about RTwP - the 'hardcore' wanted turnbased combat in their games and saw RTwP as a concession to publisher demands. Fallout: Tactics was heavily criticised for introducing a real-time option.

Anyway - the bottom line is this is a game Obsidian want to make, so I'm backing Obsidian, rather than the game, at the moment. No excuses allowed if it's not great - this game will define Obsidian, for me.

Trigger

I'll back when I see more concept art and stretch goals. Surprisingly little material in comparison to other kickstarters.

Top Bottom