• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Lancehead

It's not actually "donating", in most cases it's simply preordering.

I'm not sure many would consider it simply a pre-order. If that's the case, why would they pre-order it during this particular window, with game release almost two years away?

I'm not saying people don't consider reward tiers, but I'm hesitant to call that consideration a pre-order.

In any case, technically it's still a "donation". :)

Sentenza

We're the modern Lorenzo the Magnificent
patron.png

Acidote

New update is up:

Update #4 - Sep. 19, 2012 - Digital Tiers, DRM, and Add-Ons Update
Well you all did it, you helped us get to $1.6M and we now have a Mac version and are adding more story into the world.

We have also been listening and reading your feedback on Kickstarter and have some changes that are happening as soon as this update is posted. One thing, we are not updating just yet are the stretch goals, but don’t worry those are going to get updated very soon. Oh, and we are putting a schedule together for updates that will include guest stars almost every day – Josh will be talking more about the design tomorrow (Sep 19), our unflappable CTO Chris Jones (architect of the Fallout and Arcanum engines) on Friday (Sep 20), and I think we will be able to squeeze one in from Mr. Tim Cain over the weekend.

So, what are those changes?!?

DRM Free Option

You asked and we are delivering. In conjunction with GOG, we are going to offer a DRM free version of the game for our Kickstarter Backers. When the campaign ends, you will be able to choose whether you would like a key from GOG or Steam. For our Mac friends, we are still working on a DRM free option, since GOG does not currently support the Mac. Oh, and the great guys at GOG are having a special right now on all of the great Infinity Engine games, so check that out as well.

New Digital Tiers

We are adding a $50 and an $80 digital tier. The $50 tier will get you the digital version of the game, the soundtrack, the digital version of the Collector’s Book, a collection of wallpapers made for multiple resolutions and multiple monitors, high resolution concept art, a high resolution version of the map, and ringtones. For the $80 tier, you will get all of that plus a digital copy of the strategy guide, and a second digital download of the game.

Add-Ons

This is a short list for right now, but we will be adding more as the days pass including some pretty swank Obsidian-wear.

Add a Digital Download of the Game +$25
Add Three Digital Downloads of the Game +$60
As a quick tutorial on how to add add-ons, goto the Project Eternity site on Kickstarter and then hit the Manage Your Pledge button. The reward tier you had already selected will still be selected and the amount will be in the big box at the top. All you need to do is add the dollar amount that covers the add-ons you would like to your pledge and enter the new total number. For instance, if you are at the $35 Pledge level and want to add one Digital Download, you would enter $60 as your total pledge.

New for our Collector's Edition Box Level ($140)

Lastly we want to announce that we are going to give our backers at the Collector’s Edition Box Level ($140) a little extra today and that is Beta access to the game! That’s just a little taste of what we will be adding into tiers in the coming days and weeks through stretch goals and the occasional random act.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good new update. Glad to see more digital-only options.

Wonder if they need someone to write their strategy guide for em...

Perkel

Banned
Good new update. Glad to see more digital-only options.

Wonder if they need someone to write their strategy guide for em...

50$ is awasome price for what is included. I already upgraded from 35$ to 50$. And that is the trick with kickstarter. Making people care about game and make them go to higher pledges.

SparkTR

Looks like they want to use Kickstarter as an alternative to publishers for the sequel to Project Eternity as well. They seem pretty confident about it's success.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Looks like they want to use Kickstarter as an alternative to publishers for the sequel to Project Eternity as well. They seem pretty confident about it's success.

Maybe something like Gathering of Developers could come out of this with some of the Kickstarter devs (inXile, Obsidian, etc). Brian Fargo alone carries enough publisher experience to make something happen.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe something like Gathering of Developers could come out of this with some of the Kickstarter devs (inXile, Obsidian, etc). Brian Fargo alone carries enough publisher experience to make something happen.

Digital only, lowest overhead possible, no ad budget. Spend money on the games themselves and not stupid launch parties. Make games for gamers, not as a spectacle.

Called it. I expected that they were hesitant about announcing a DRM free option because they were negotiating with GOG to handle the donkey-work, and that exactly is what happened.

mclem

That is what i said earlier in this thread. Kickstarter from DF project already had grown. In few years if there will be no mayor problems with how kickstarter operate 500k even 1mln people pledging on single project won't be impossible and numbers like $10-20-30mln won't be anything uncommon.

There was a great study somewhere of how DFA's success caused huge increases in donations *across* Kickstarter thanks to so many new people being exposed to the model.

Found it! : http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/blockbuster-effects

Almighty

*Googles Gathering of Developers*

That would actually be pretty awesome if something like that was set up.

Oh and so far i like everything Obsidian is saying about this game. Not one thing they have said has made me worried. I think if this keeps up and they do regular updates this thing will at least hit 3 million. Though i am thinking it will probably top out at 3.5 or 4 million when all is said and done. I would be beyond shocked if it broke 4 million.

beautiful gog action

*Googles Gathering of Developers*
That would actually be pretty awesome if something like that was set up.
mike wilson and harry miller are still doing this btw, first as gamecock, and now as devolver digital. they're just doing indie and croteam releases, it's not a large line-up of "in-house" devs, but it's the same thing as god. sadly they seem to only be interested in releasing games on steam. pretty terrible actually.

Zaventem

I think they should of aimed for a higher goal in the original something like 2 million and go from there.Sure it'll probably reach that amount but it might of gotten their faster with the hype the project had.

Digoman

Well... I "asked" for it, so I'm going from $35 to $80.

It's going to be a looooong year and a half (at least) waiting for this.

Dennis

Banned
You people are slacking.

I had to go to RPG Codex to discover that a new update was out.

I am disappoint this thread isn't pasted permanently to the first page.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I would consider bumping my pledge up to the $80 digital tier if they offer an option to get beta access instead of a second copy.

Miletius

Bumped to 80 digital tier since I decided I didn't need the physical goods. I'm not exactly enthused about a digital strategy guide but all the other extras plus the 2nd copy is nice.

I wonder if the physical copy is DRM free or Steamworks.

From the Obsidian forums:

Not promising anything yet, but we'll look into how to do that best. We wanted to use Steam to give folks achievements and cloud saves (we're not interested in the DRM features, just its streaming and gamer stuff) but it may be possible for us to support DRM free on the disc, but still give fans of Steam access to those things.

Again not promising that, but that's how I'd ideally like to see it handled and we'll see what we can do!

-TG

HoosTrax

Seriously thinking about upgrading to the $140 tier for CBT access. I wonder what size those shirts come in. I hope they're not unisex sizes.

Perkel

Banned
Wow that update gave big bump in pledges.

It's 1.667 already and few hours ago it was 1,6.

Can't wait for tomorrow to see new things about PE. Also 21 there will be interview with Chris Jones who is creating engine (probably alongside Tim) that should focus some light on what this game will look like. 3D ? 2D ? Isometric only ?

Man, I'm really torn. I don't really care THAT much about DRM-free stuff, as I find steam's DRM to be so minimally invasive as to be nonexistant, but I'm more torn between Steamworks features, cheevos, cloud saves, and community features (ESPECIALLY with potential matchmaking if this thing goes coop), and the AWESOME goodies that come with GOG releases like dev interviews, wallpapers, digital manuals, soundtrack, etc.

Decisions, grrrrrr....

Seriously thinking about upgrading to the $140 tier for CBT access. I wonder what size those shirts come in. I hope they're not unisex sizes.

Free Ts are usually terrible extra large sizes, too hideous to wear unless they happen to be your size. We'll see.

Also, already at $140, so it was a nice bonus. Hopefully they'll add more good stuff in my price range so I can justify bumping my pledge just a bit.

Lancehead

Can't wait for tomorrow to see new things about PE. Also 21 there will be interview with Chris Jones who is creating engine (probably alongside Tim) that should focus some light on what this game will look like. 3D ? 2D ? Isometric only ?

Something like Temple of Elemental Evil would be fine.

Man, I'm really torn. I don't really care THAT much about DRM-free stuff, as I find steam's DRM to be so minimally invasive as to be nonexistant, but I'm more torn between Steamworks features, cheevos, cloud saves, and community features (ESPECIALLY with potential matchmaking if this thing goes coop), and the AWESOME goodies that come with GOG releases like dev interviews, wallpapers, digital manuals, soundtrack, etc.

Decisions, grrrrrr....

The extra goodies are the same for both GOG and Steam versions. The difference is, with Steam you get achievements and cloud, with GOG you get DRM-free.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I despise guns in fantasy games. This isn't a dealbreaker though; just the first bit of disappointing news I've heard about the project.

I'm intrigued; is this a preference for a medieval (as presented in Tolkien etc) tech level, or a dislike of guns in particular?

Perkel

Banned
Something like Temple of Elemental Evil would be fine.

I liked how TOEE looked 2D backgrounds and 3D characters. Best of both worlds.

You can cheaply hand-paint backgrounds or render them offline (same as IE) and still have character customization and animation from 3D characters and what is most important imo low spec requirements.

They also did told us that they have something innovative for rendering. Maybe it will be fully 3D but rendered to look like 2D ?

If you would change in Valkyria Chronicles form TPP to overhead map everything looks like 2D. So maybe something in that alley.

Top Bottom