• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Maybe he's just admitting that Obsidian really sucks at catering to specific wants and needs that fall outside their specialization. Lol. Judging from Dungeon Siege 3, I'll have to agree!

"So, have you finished making the Star Wars game we requested?"

"Yes, we've created a morally ambiguous world with deep characters that explores the nature of free will and destiny."

"... I see. But it does have Jedi, right?"

"Yes. They're all idiots, though."

"But it has lightsabers, yeah?"

"Of course!"

"GREAT! How about a love story?"

"Yes! Several! Well, kind of. You don't really get together and everybody dies at the end."

"... have you coded the ending yet?"

"No?"

"Good. You have two weeks to ship the game."

"What."

robin2

Do people envision Ak 47 or Colts when they hear guns or what?

What's wrong with using old guns?And they said they would be rare as well, so the outcry is really weird to me.

JDlnGl.jpg
It could even be something more primitive, like the shafted-gun from Princess Mononoke anime.
mononoke2.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Guns in Arcanum owned (even if the game was unbalanced as fuck). Guns own. Arcanum owns.

Arcanum 2.

Make it happen.

Zeliard

Those publisher comments that Feargus related might just be the most non-surprising thing I've ever read. Sounds like just another day in the gaming industry.

Acosta

We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter. I said to them "So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits" They said, "Yes".

WTF, that can´t be real...

Those publisher comments that Feargus related might just be the most non-surprising thing I've ever read. Sounds like just another day in the gaming industry.

It gives the impression they're hovering around Kickstarter looking for a way to either profit off of it or undermine it.

Perkel

Banned
Gotta wonder what publisher that was, although I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple pubs asking that.

It wouldn't be suprising. Maybe they thought that kickstarter money wouldn't be so high so they proposed funding partly game for IP rights.

It's dick move but it isn't stupid. It's business.

But yeah fuck publishers.

duckroll

Just noticed this on the Kickstarter page:

"9/18 - Stretch Goal 2 Down! Mac version a go and the story gets deeper. Big update tomorrow."

Mmmmmm... can't wait for the update. :D

patapuf

I bet one of my numerous balls that it was EA.

I doubt it, EA's strategy right now is games that either sell 5+ Millions (or at least have the potential to do so) or F2P stuff. A traditonal cRPG doesn't sound like it fits that profile, especially since they wanted to go away from that in Dragon Age.

Perkel

Banned
Just noticed this on the Kickstarter page:

"9/18 - Stretch Goal 2 Down! Mac version a go and the story gets deeper. Big update tomorrow."

Mmmmmm... can't wait for the update. :D

Yeah i too can't wait.

Also they should take note from wasteland 2 kickstarter. They should do interviews daily, do AMA on redit do something more just than sit and wait. That would greatly help them.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah i too can't wait.

Also they should take note from wasteland 2 kickstarter. They should do interviews daily, do AMA on redit do something more just than sit and wait. That would greatly help them.

So far, they've had 3 updates, interviews and a Q&A. Hell, the dude even sang you a song. They're hardly sitting and waiting. It's also day 5ish.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Yeah i too can't wait.

They did AMA

The publishers were literally offering them NOTHING in exchange for IP rights and profits.

This is a shit practice that happens, sadly, in every industry known to man. I've been in a phone calls like this and it's fucking astonishing the shit companies think they can say to your face.

The problem is that corporate somehow got the snowball of an idea rolling that business experience equals experience in (any) business.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
This is a shit practice that happens, sadly, in every industry known to man. I've been in a phone calls like this and it's fucking astonishing the shit companies think they can say to your face.

The problem is that corporate somehow got the snowball of an idea rolling that business experience equals experience in (any) business.

yeah, their logic is that it never hurts to try if you have nothing better to offer.

TrutaS

Game would reach 3 M if they had screenshots to show, they don' t obviously, but if they let people fund even after kickstarter (like every kickstarter project I have seen) and if they continue to bring a healthy dose of updates I believe funds will continue to be healthy.

There's one really annoying thing for me with kickstarter and that is shipping fees for physical items. If only a 140 dollar pledge would grant me free shipping.

In the subject of guns, I don't mind them at all, since I trust they will fit the world beautifully. To be honest I don't want people to have that kind of input on the game's design, even if they helped fund it. That really wouldn't be any different than publishers would it? I've seen people asking for console versions as a stretch goal on the official forum and if they bend to that kind of request I would simply drop my pledge.

Sentenza

Do people envision Ak 47 or Colts when they hear guns or what?

What's wrong with using old guns?And they said they would be rare as well, so the outcry is really weird to me.

JDlnGl.jpg
I'm not just fine with guns, I'm actually happy for their inclusion.
They suddenly make this fantasy setting sound more interesting.

I'm not surprised. If Wasteland 2, this game, Dead State, etc do well then I could see publishers being intrigued.
Yeah, except they are supposed to take note and compete with that kind of product. Not to use the same business model, when providing funds should be their only useful role in the industry.

HoosTrax

TIME article

Could it raise $10mln ?
I really doubt it. I think the rate of donations will start to drop off each day. You might see a small bump here and there if they decide to offer DRM versions, MAC versions, Linux versions etc.

If they decide to offer some better digital-only tiers where you don't get stuck with a boxed copy you have to pawn off, I'd consider upping my donation from $20 though. By that I mean that physical swag is fine, because I would actually use a lore book for bathroom reading and I'd wear a T-shirt, but a physical disc/box is useless to me since I don't have a display shelf for physical game-related items.

dude

dude
I'll bet 4 millions and some change.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. If they can do interviews and keep a steady update schedule, they should reach 2m in like 2 weeks, then they should be able to reach 4m with the remaining days and the last minute push.

And yeah. they should learn from Fargo and offer a overseas friendly digital only tier.

Perkel

Banned
Sure, it's *not impossible*. Will it? Most likely not.

That is the thing. Amount of cash they can raise is strictly related to knowledge about PE. If most of people who played Planescape, baldurs, icewind, arcanum and obsidian games would know about it. There wouldn't be question "can it ?" there would be "how much more ?".

40k fans gave $1,6mln. 500k of them would give something like $20mln with current pledging level.

I'm pretty sure there is more than 500k people around globe which can pledge but the main problem is simply that most of people don't know that something like kickstarter exist and they don't know why should they pledge.

That is what i said earlier in this thread. Kickstarter from DF project already had grown. In few years if there will be no mayor problems with how kickstarter operate 500k even 1mln people pledging on single project won't be impossible and numbers like $10-20-30mln won't be anything uncommon.

Gaming market with each year grow succesfull kickstarters and quality games would capture a lot of this grow.

I really like where this road goes.

Perkel

Banned
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. If they can do interviews and keep a steady update schedule, they should reach 2m in like 2 weeks, then they should be able to reach 4m with the remaining days and the last minute push.

And yeah. they should learn from Fargo and offer a overseas friendly digital only tier.

Looks like they will reach in less than 7 days with current flow. They need steady interviews AMAs and highlight from gaming sites.

edit:

more like 1,9 in 7 days.

dude

dude
That is the thing. Amount of cash they can raise is strictly related to knowledge about PE. If most of people who played Planescape, baldurs, icewind, arcanum and obsidian games would know about it. There wouldn't be question "can it ?" there would be "how much more ?".

40k fans gave $1,6mln. 500k of them would give something like $20mln with current pledging level.

I'm pretty sure there is more than 500k people around globe which can pledge but the main problem is simply that most of people don't know that something like kickstarter exist and they don't know why should they pledge.

That is what i said earlier in this thread. Kickstarter from DF project already had grown. In few years if there will be no mayor problems with how kickstarter operate 500k even 1mln people pledging on single project won't be impossible and numbers like $10-20-30mln won't be anything uncommon.

Gaming market with each year grow succesfull kickstarters and quality games would capture a lot of this grow.

I really like where this road goes.

Well, obviously I hope you're right, but I don't want to get my hoped up just to see them crashing down. I'm betting on a solid 4m, if I lost and it's higher, then I'm not really losing, am I? :)

Lancehead

My hopes are for $5m.

And Perkel, I think you overestimate the number of people who would be willing to donate money even if they're fans of those old classics and are aware of kickstarter.

Sentenza

The fact is... Even considering just everyone actually interested in buying this game, just a small percentage of these people are probably willing to pay months before having something to play.

In any case Perkel is right when he says that even just to inform those people who are potentially interested in these kind of games that this Kickstarter is going on is going to be a big part of the "challenge" for Obsidian.

Top Bottom