• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

dude

dude
According to Sawyer we're getting an update from Feargus Urquhart tomorrow. Seeing as how this stretch goal was also about "bigger story", I hope they give us more hints and pieces to the game story.

As a student of history, there's always been a huge discrepancy between what people consider medieval and what truly is. Guns were a crucial part of late 16th and early 17th century Japanese warfare, and they were already in use in the west by the 14th century, around the time that full plate armor was developed. In fact, most of the suits of full plate armor seen in games are closer to the armor from the 15th and 16th centuries, a period where guns were quite common. The fancy armor from games like Skyrim and Dark Souls would have been quite at home in the Renaissance.

Personally, I am all for the exploration of the creative space that guns allow. As a weapon that relies on chemistry over mechanical force, there is a great deal that can be done to differ guns from bows, and the comment that they will resemble wheel-locks is heartening.

Chrysalis

You know what I want most out of this project? I signed up because of the talent involved. So, I want them to ignore and any all fan input and be true to their creative vision. That's it. No creation by democracy, cuz that never works out.

O.DOGG

You know what I want most out of this project? I signed up because of the talent involved. So, I want them to ignore and any all fan input and be true to their creative vision. That's it. No creation by democracy, cuz that never works out.

I was thinking along the same lines. I understand Obsidian want to hear the opinions of their supporters but I'm always a bit skeptical when it comes to popular opinion. I have faith the developers know what they're doing, so I hope they'll follow their own decisions at least most of the time.

Dresden

It'd be cool if the guns weren't just bow substitutes like so many rpg's that use them, but rather, had all the benefits and drawbacks of ye olde weaponry. In a game, it could feature extremely slow reload times, be quite inaccurate, but takes comparatively little training to use and hits through armor, as to make them viable choices for characters that otherwise wouldn't be able to level up their weapon skills. Say, a charisma-stacking scoundrel who has no arms and must fire with his crotch.

Lancehead

I think he meant whether you gained perks based on how you play or choose them at the end of every level or so.

Yes, and Alpha Protocol had the former type of perks. And such perks are in other games as well. NWN2 and expansions had history feats, companion-based feats, also feats based on how completed major quests. New Vegas had lots of companion, quest and challenge perks. KotOR II had some, not a lot, feats based on companions. Don't know about Dungeon Siege III, though.

Arcanum did this. Another reason to love that game other than its horrible combat.

Guns were terribly balanced in Arcanum. You were at a severe disadvantage for the large part of first half of the game, and perhaps even after.

hemtae

Yes, and Alpha Protocol had the former type of perks. And such perks are in other games as well. NWN2 and expansions had history feats, companion-based feats, also feats based on how completed major quests. New Vegas had lots of companion, quest and challenge perks. KotOR II had some, not a lot, feats based on companions. Don't know about Dungeon Siege III

I totally forgot the about the ones in NWN2. Don't remember anything of the sort in KotOR 2 but then again I don't remember anything in KotOR 2 so meh.

alpha protocol perks are the best. the only game to reward me for getting shot to pieces repeatedly.
If you got crippled enough in New Vegas it would give you a perk for that.

adixon

So Feargus has been on the kickstarter comments section for hours now hangin out and answering questions by the bucketloads... here's a tidbit I thought somebody might find interesting:

We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter. I said to them "So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits" They said, "Yes".

Emitan

So Feargus has been on the kickstarter comments section for hours now hangin out and answering questions by the bucketloads... here's a tidbit I thought somebody might find interesting:

"Fund the project yourself and we'll steal it when it's done."

GREAT PLAN!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

I can't believe my eyes, they couldn't actually propose this.... it's like..... FUCK I have no words.

Emitan

The role of a publisher is to promote, distribute, and fund a product.

This game is getting advertised by word of mouth alone and will be on Steam front page, etc.

Steam will handle distribution.

Kickstarter will handle funding.

The publishers were literally offering them NOTHING in exchange for IP rights and profits.

If you got crippled enough in New Vegas it would give you a perk for that.

oh right. and yet again my memory of new vegas inexplicably fails.

I just punched everyone. EVERYONE.

Except for that one time I accidentally shot an FBI agent in the embassy :x

I've played it through about 10 times, the hard-as-nails douche run was probably my favourite. it just really impressed me how even the least viable way of playing (i.e. pretending it's gears) has a huge amount of supporting perks and upgrades.

game publishers actually make real-estate agents seem pretty classy.

ZoddGutts

Yeah its slowed pretty drastically now.

Kickstarter's really slow down on the third day. Doing interviews/PR/AMA for their Kickstarter should help out during the slow period. The last 3 days it should really increase, considering it's done this much in the first 2 days, won't be surprise if it does 400k in those last 2-3 days of their Kickstarter.

Nelo Ice

Banned

:LOL :LOL. What a freaking slap in the face. Once everyone reads that Obsidian is about to get another spike in pledges.

Kurtofan

Do people envision Ak 47 or Colts when they hear guns or what?

What's wrong with using old guns?And they said they would be rare as well, so the outcry is really weird to me.

JDlnGl.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow, so typically messed up. Can't wait for the day publishers rot in hell...

Negator

That is fucked up!

People should rat out those shitty publishers.

"Here's an analogy: if you ask me to make you a cake, I can bake one and have it ready for you in a couple of hours, and it'll be very tasty."

Great; can you make me a cake?

"Is killing always evil? Is the act of sacrificing someone for the greater good a good act in itself? Does doing good things make a person good?"

Tim Cain

"But if you come to me with a photo of a cake and ask me to replicate it, that'll take me a lot longer to do, even though the final result might not taste any different than the first cake. Does that make sense?"

How about that cake?

"Damn, now I want some cake."

The fuck? This is the worst analogy ever. Having a clearly defined scope from the outset saves you time. The only way not having someone dictate what they want from the start can save you time is if you wind up doing less by having less ambitious goals.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Good gravy.

duckroll

The fuck? This is the worst analogy ever. Having a clearly defined scope from the outset saves you time. The only way not having someone dictate what they want from the start can save you time is if you wind up doing less by having less ambitious goals.

Maybe he's just admitting that Obsidian really sucks at catering to specific wants and needs that fall outside their specialization. Lol. Judging from Dungeon Siege 3, I'll have to agree!

Durante

I think the idea is that it takes longer (and may turn out worse) to make exactly the cake someone else wants, instead of the cake you're really good at.

xenist

Holy shit at Urquhart's comments. They're straight up crooks.

Prinicpal: "And the category of the question is Business Ethics."
Game exec: tugs nervously at collar.

The more inside baseball my knowledge of the gaming industry gets the more stuff like Brian Fargo's Kickstarter video look to me like documentaries.

Top Bottom