• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Almighty

Once again Obsidian tells the truth and regrets it lol

3eOkq.jpg

This, the Skyrim PS3 technical issues, the New Vegas Metacritic stuff.. lol Its a good thing Kickstarter is here to stay.

Is that about that publisher trying to get them to do a kickstarter while they get most of the profit or something else?

Almighty

Looks like it.

Poor Obsidian. On one hand a love it when developers talk directly to their fans. Though Obsidian has shown a few time why a lot of publishers tell the devs to be quite and let the PR mouthpieces do all the talking.

I am glad this kickstarter is doing so well I hope this game also sells well enough to let Obsidian get off living paycheck to paycheck so to speak.

Lancehead

3eOkq.jpg

This, the Skyrim PS3 technical issues, the New Vegas Metacritic stuff.. lol Its a good thing Kickstarter is here to stay.

Eh, I don't think those comments would've altered their position with the publishers making those offers.

I think Feargus just didn't want all the publicity.

Corto

3eOkq.jpg

Looks like he got a call back from that company. hehe Well, to his behalf, he didn't disclose the name of the publisher... yet.

duckroll

I don't think the problem is so much that a publisher is upset at being "outed" or anything, but rather that his casual comment about "lol, did you know what they tried to get us to do?" gets turned into a news headline that makes it look like "Obsidian is telling us how much publishers SUCK!!!" scenario.

I'd expect he would be annoyed by the fact that pretty much no one bothered to copy-paste his follow-up because it doesn't quite play in the "publishers are pure evil" narrative.

That said, yeah, I'd expect that after all the negative PR Obsidian has unwillingly generated, they'd be more careful about this stuff. Maybe they should hire a PR guy again..

I'd expect he would be annoyed by the fact that pretty much no one bothered to copy-paste his follow-up because it doesn't quite play in the "publishers are pure evil" narrative.

That said, yeah, I'd expect that after all the negative PR Obsidian has unwillingly generated, they'd be more careful about this stuff. Maybe they should hire a PR guy again..

I'd rather they kept speaking their minds and then going "Whoops!"

What was the follow-up?

Almighty

At this point it's probably easier just to list the ones that wouldn't present that proposal.

Well my two cents it that it is probably some smaller publisher. I know people like to think it was EA or Activision, but I doubt it was them or any of the big ones. Not because it is beyond something they would of thought of though. I just think that it would be too small fry for them and not really worth it. So I am thinking it is some small publisher based on that.

Lancehead

Interplay wouldn't surprise me. With all the Black Isle is back! stuff.

Whatever happened to that greatest resurrection of all time, anyway?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
My guess it was many of the known publishers. Maybe all of them. i doubt very seriously any offering that proposal thought it would go through but theres always a chance right? Why not offer and see what comes of it?

I'd rather they kept speaking their minds and then going "Whoops!"

What was the follow-up?

I'm trying to find it so I can quote it correctly, but essentially Feargus argued that he didn't think there was any ill will behind the proposal, but rather, they thought it was the easiest way to get something done with Obsidian without having to go through hurdles like having to get the budget approved, etc.

EDIT: Here it is:
I think they were trying, honestly, to be able to do something with us and they felt that was the easiest way to do it. They would then not need to go get budget approved and deal with the challenge of that. What I don't think they did was to think about our side of it and what they were really asking.

I'm trying to find it so I can quote it correctly, but essentially Feargus argued that he didn't think there was any ill will behind the proposal, but rather, they thought it was the easiest way to get something done with Obsidian without having to go through hurdles like having to get the budget approved, etc.

EDIT: Here it is:

So more thoughtless than straight up malicious. Interesting.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Damn, gaming changed soooo much in these five years. Could you imagine Kickstarter craze and how much social media would matter today in 2005? no way

Almighty

Welp. That means the game won't be delivered on time as well. Pack your bags!

Yep it doesn't bode well for Obsidian now. Not only do I have my doubts about them delivering on time I also think they might not be able to budget properly. Time to cancel my pledge.

My faith has been shattered.

Yep it doesn't bode well for Obsidian now. Not only do I have my doubts about them delivering on time I also think they might not be able to budget properly. Time to cancel my pledge.

My faith has been shattered.

Damn... Oh well, time to spend that $1,550 on hooker and booze. Everyone who donated is invited. My place. Plane ticket extra. Airport pick and drop provided by me.

We'll all meet up April 2014 at Downtown Toronto to commemorate what could've been...

zkylon

zkylewd
Video? Fuck, I have no audio at work! You guys better transcribe what's taking place cause I need to act accordingly! D:
Just finished the video, UE3 confirmed, no cities, level scaling on all difficulty modes, they'll try to keep the game under the half a million bugs.
Interplay's publishing

volturnus

Banned
I guees the GAF Inn gave them some nice ideas, eh?
Josh Sawyer @jesawyer

in tomorrow's #projecteternity update, i'll talk about SOULS, mechanics, and a new pledge tier aimed at forum communities

Sanctuary

As much as I love the BG games as well as Torment, I'm not sure how long I could suffer through the same dated Infinity Engine combat. That's pretty much the thing that turned me off with DA:Origins. If the world, characters and customization are all top notch, then the combat can be overlooked. Kind of sad though considering it's something you'll be doing with at least 75% of your time in the game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Next update includes the announcement of a publisher.

lol, this got me.

As much as I love the BG games as well as Torment, I'm not sure how long I could suffer through the same dated Infinity Engine combat. That's pretty much the thing that turned me off with DA:Origins. If the world, characters and customization are all top notch, then the combat can be overlooked. Kind of sad though considering it's something you'll be doing with at least 75% of your time in the game.

dude....

Top Bottom