• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
But this game seems to be more akin to BG2 and PS:T in regards to companions, so it wouldn't really work here.

Of course. It makes sense for Icewind Dale because that game is not about the party members' stories at all. Your party is just a tactical squad you've designed to complete a series of challenges. Swapping main characters in and out makes absolutely no sense for Project Eternity given the info we know about it. Respeccing, too.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
No one would FORCE you to respec. Why would you argue against a feature that is totally optional, will not impact the wy YOU play the game and may actually make things more user friendly to those of us who might enjoy it.

Its not like someone is proposing a brand new continent, or something that would require a ton of assets, something that would detract from the development of the main game.

No one is FORCING you to fast travel. No one is FORCING you to use the gps to get to your next location. No one is FORCING you to play on normal mode. Uh-huh.

Those sentiments miss the point of how a game is designed around its scaffolding. A game that allows for respeccing is going to be a different game than one that doesn't, whereas a respec mod implemented by the community later has no bearing on the game that ships.

Those sentiments miss the point of how a game is designed around its scaffolding. A game that allows for respeccing is going to be a different game than one that doesn't, whereas a respec mod implemented by the community later has no bearing on the game that ships.

I understand what you're saying in general, but I'm not sure how the design of a game is changed by the inclusion of respeccing. Nobody is going to build a game that specifically encourages it. Or are you arguing that it will make the developers lazy and not bother to balance the game for all classes / builds?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Some of the best fun I ever had was playing Fallout 2 with no tagged combat skills the first time; if there'd been a respec option, I know I woulda caved (in New Vegas, I think I did), much like with fast travel. Sometimes less choice is more.

Respeccing could encourage developers to be more... lax with balancing the game- or if the barrier of entry is too low, encouraging swapping 'specs' to match different fights. Not something Obsidian wants to encourage.

I understand what you're saying in general, but I'm not sure how the design of a game is changed by the inclusion of respeccing. Nobody is going to build a game that specifically encourages it. Or are you arguing that it will make the developers lazy and not bother to balance the game for all classes / builds?

I think dude laid out the reasons pretty well in his post. Taking a game based around a character whose choices matter and allowing you to alter those choices at any time fundamentally alters the nature of it.

This same discussion is happening at Something Awful and JE Sawyer has posted several times that he is in favor of supporting some form of respeccing.

dude

dude
No one is FORCING you to fast travel. No one is FORCING you to use the gps to get to your next location. No one is FORCING you to play on normal mode. Uh-huh.

Exactly. Thank you based EviLore.

It will create a huge black hole of immersion for me. The existence of respecing would pretty much change the genre of the game. There should be no talks of balance, at all. This shouldn't be about builds, you should just create the character you want to play as. Respecing diminishes all that, because your specs are not there for strategy or combat or getting better loot, they are there to define who you are, once you think of it like that, respecing ceases to become a valid option.

This same discussion is happening at Something Awful and JE Sawyer has posted several times that he is in favor of supporting some form of respeccing.
I really hope that's false or at least very, very limited in what you can change or how. I so trust Sawyer and co. as they seem to know how to make a good RPG, so I will assume for now that when he says respecing he means they will implement it in some way that won't ruin immersion (though I have a hard time imagining it...)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Fuck that respec noise. First D&D RPG I played was BALDUR'S GATE 1. I made a wizard with 18 strength and no int. I didn't learn not one god damn spell and I BEAT THAT SHIT. I had a main character carrying around all the parties heavy gear while Minsc and Kivan murdered everyone. It made the game that much more challenging.

I did not import that character into BG2

dude

dude
Fuck that respec noise. First D&D RPG I played was BALDUR'S GATE 1. I made a wizard with 18 strength and no int. I didn't learn not one god damn spell and I BEAT THAT SHIT. I had a main character carrying around all the parties heavy gear while Minsc and Kivan murdered everyone. It made the game that much more challenging.

I did not import that character into BG2

I lol'd. But yeah, the party-based nature of the IE games made any one character less meaningful, vastly reducing the importance of builds and such. Most BG2 companions had completely unstrategic abilities allocation (Anomen had 12 Wisdom, Minsc had 6 Wisdom, many of the fighters in the game had less than 18 strength etc.) but they were interesting and because you had 5 more characters no one really felt useless.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Please tell me you were 5.

I was in middle school with no previous D&D knowledge. I had no idea wtf was going on when I made that character. I was going to try and make a Spellsword like Daggerfall. Didn't quite work out that way.

duckroll

For what it's worth, Sawyer himself is pro-respec. But he believes that respec should have a significant and meaningful cost to the player, so it does not simply become a means to do-over whenever you feel like it.

An example would be the respec option you get in NV when you first leave the starting area. It's a one time thing, and by then the player is expected to have gotten a good feel of the game mechanics to have a better understanding of what sort of character they might prefer, compared to what they might felt with less information during character creation.

dude

dude
For what it's worth, Sawyer himself is pro-respec. But he believes that respec should have a significant and meaningful cost to the player, so it does not simply become a means to do-over whenever you feel like it.

An example would be the respec option you get in NV when you first leave the starting area. It's a one time thing, and by then the player is expected to have gotten a good feel of the game mechanics to have a better understanding of what sort of character they might prefer, compared to what they might felt with less information during character creation.

How do they explain it? What attributes do they allow to respec? At what cost? I didn't play Fallout 3.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
How do they explain it? What attributes do they allow to respec? At what cost? I didn't play Fallout 3.

FAllout one works well. It is like the Oblivion one, where you go through the starter dungeon and it ask you if you think you fucked up on the way out.

Corto

Yes. It seems that Sawyer favors some kind of "emergency respeccing" at least for specific situations:

Rope Kid (JESawyer on Something Awful Forum said:
I think many of you would be blown away by how often players will look directly at a description of an option, pause, seem to analyze it, and then select it without putting 2 and 2 together until much later.

When that happens and the error results in, let's say, ~15 minutes of lost time, as a designer I go, "Hey dummy, pay attention." When that happens and the error goes unnoticed for 5... 10... 20 hours, the problem is so far in the past that I would rather just sigh and slide an emergency exit button toward them.

As a non-system-related example, in Fallout: New Vegas, we pop up a message box before the end of the game. It says (paraphrased) HEY MAN THIS IS THE END OF THE GAME. IF YOU WANT TO KEEP PLAYING, YOU SHOULD NOT START THIS. BECAUSE IT IS THE END. AND THE GAME WILL BE OVER. Even so, a huge number of people missed it or claimed to have missed it, so we later had to hard-code in an extra auto-save game at that point.

I could take some sort of grumpy tough-guy attitude and say "Well, tough poo poo," but I don't think that's beneficial to me or the player.

So even with well thought out transparent systems, with a good interface and descriptions of items/actions a great amount of people will make basic mistakes. Having a simple "rewind" button would not work when the mistake was several hours ago, a limited "emergency" respec system would be a necessary thing in that case.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Respec doesn't bother me as it in no way influences the core design formula, and should have no baring on questing, battling, and overall consequences for decisions. It's simply a comfort blanket for those who want it. I won't use it, but whatever.

Sometime like the fucking dumb compass in Oblivion/Skyrim is the opposite, as it completely overhauls the philosophy of world exploration and quest check pointing. The game is inherently designed around using it.

All in all, video games.

Sharp

From my perspective, like dude's, respecing is a very strange fit for this kind of game, whether or not Sawyer likes it, and if the game ships with it I'm not likely to change my opinion. But it's not nearly a big enough deal for it to really affect my enjoyment of the game, provided I don't use it (though it's a lot harder to make sure I don't use it if it isn't squirreled away as a console command). I think a lot of us have very, very particular thoughts on how certain things in RPGs (and games) should be, and I know that Obsidian will not be able to satisfy all of them.

All that being said: looking through Sawyer's responses, he seems concerned about inexperienced players or newer players of RPGs. I understand where he's coming from, but isn't Project Eternity not really aimed at that crowd?

dude

dude
Well, for what it's worth I'm going to raise my concern of respecing on Formspring. People are talking about it from a strategic perspective when it's actually a role-playing issue.

Corto

I don't think is a matter of Sawyer liking it. It's more of a necessary system if you want as a game developer an inclusive game. Though this game is primarily aimed at a specific crowd I'm sure they want this to reach an expanded audience. Or at least to have a high completion rate of the game.

Lancehead

All that being said: looking through Sawyer's responses, he seems concerned about inexperienced players or newer players of RPGs. I understand where he's coming from, but isn't Project Eternity not really aimed at that crowd?

But we're all inexperienced in this game's systems.

duckroll

Well, for what it's worth I'm going to raise my concern of respecing on Formspring. People are talking about it from a strategic perspective when it's actually a role-playing issue.

The Old World Blues DLC in NV (Avellone, not Sawyer) allowed a one time full respec of a character's perks, and it was done in a way which is completely consistent with role-playing. I think you're selling Obsidian talent short if you don't think they pay attention to these things.

Respec doesn't bother me as it in no way influences the core design formula, and should have no baring on questing, battling, and overall consequences for decisions. It's simply a comfort blanket for those who want it. I won't use it, but whatever.

I don't know, I feel like smooth talking your way through half a game and then suddenly becoming a charisma-less oaf detracts from the core experience in some significant way. I prefer what Tim Cain was saying in his GDC talk about making sure that every main story mission in Fallout had three ways to complete it.

All in all, video games.

Fair point.

dude

dude
The Old World Blues DLC in NV (Avellone, not Sawyer) allowed a one time full respec of a character's perks, and it was done in a way which is completely consistent with role-playing. I think you're selling Obsidian talent short if you don't think they pay attention to these things.

A one time thing is less horrible because you only have to treat it once - it ruins immersion, but only at one specific point, my fears are more from a "respec at any time for a cost" type deal.
Not that a one time thing is good, it's still very problematic as it encourages the player to think of his character strategically rather than from a role-playing perspective.

I remember in... I think it was Daggerfall? You had some sort of mage, a star mage or something, who was more powerful under sky or something, and most of the game was in close spaces so it was a horrible strategic choice you had no way of knowing was bad. Now, you could remedy that through respecing, but then my character cease to be a person and turns into a tool to advance better at the game. A better way of handling it would be to either have more areas with sky or just not let the player play a sky mage or whatever it was. The game should make as many choices during character creation viable as possible. The player should not have to think of his character strategically (beyond the most basic of considerations) while building his character, respecing doesn't lower the amount of strategic thinking as Sawyer implies, it actually causes more of it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't know, I feel like smooth talking your way through half a game and then suddenly becoming a charisma-less oaf detracts from the core experience in some significant way. I prefer what Tim Cain was saying in his GDC talk about making sure that every main story mission in Fallout had three ways to complete it.

I agree, which is why I would never use it, and think it's stupid to use it in a game like this. But I have no real problem with it existing as it shouldn't, in theory, detract from the design. The game should be designed as is, respec or no respec, and the option is simply there for people who want that comfort blanket of undoing their mistakes or are unhappy with their character. If the game was designed around respecing, to the point where it's expected, then yeah that's stupid.

But I'm confident the team behind this project wouldn't do that, and respecing instead would simply be there to appease people who wish to use it. You could add respecing to any of the classic old CRPGs and it wouldn't make a difference, unless you're really anal about optional features simply being there...for whatever reason.

EVOL 100%

In my book, respecing core stats, race ect. is no go. Respecing skills is acceptable a long as it's limited and the game gives you a sizable penalty for doing it.

They should include it though, since people who don't want to use it(like me) can just ignore the fact that it exists.

duckroll

In my book, respecing core stats, race ect. is no go. Respecing skills is acceptable a long as it's limited and the game gives you a sizable penalty for doing it.

Respecing core stats, race, culture, etc will probably NEVER happen. I don't think that subject has even every come up in any serious discussion.

Lancehead

A one time thing is less horrible because you only have to treat it once - it ruins immersion, but only at one specific point, my fears are more from a "respec at any time for a cost" type deal.
Not that a one time thing is good, it's still very problematic as it encourages the player to think of his character strategically rather than from a role-playing perspective.

But building your character that allows roleplaying is a strategic exercise. So if the roleplaying systems are not ideally built or game did not do an adequate job of explaining its systems, the player shouldn't be punished for the consequences. This nicely ties into the point I made yesterday that RPGs shouldn't allow bad decisions the player may make. Respec sure sounds like a patchwork to cover the deficiencies, but its existence may be necessary if only because you can't achieve perfection.

dude

dude
But building your character that allows roleplaying is a strategic exercise. So if the roleplaying systems are not ideally built or game did not do an adequate job of explaining its systems, the player shouldn't be punished for the consequences. This nicely ties into the point I made yesterday that RPGs shouldn't allow bad decisions the player may make. Respec sure sounds like a patchwork to cover the deficiencies, but its existence may be necessary if only because you can't achieve perfection.

It shouldn't be strategic, you should be allowed to focus on the role-play even with a "badly" built character. Respec doesn't lower the amount of strategic fiddling, it encourages you to think strategically because you can just change strategies mid-game.
The game should be built so that there are as few choices that screw you over in character creation as possible. Now, it's never going to be perfect, but just including some tips in the character creation screen ("Wizards needs high Int", that's also the amount of strategy I expect) can be enough.

I am completely on Sawyer's side in regard to D&D being problematic as you have to have some experience with it to know what to do, but I think respecing is the wrong way to do it. If I'm playing a PnP game and someone made a less strategic build, I don't just let him reassign skills, I make the campaign so that his advantages come up. If I let him respec, everyone would just think of their characters as tools.

Dennis

Banned
This is a bit odd to me, the idea that using a respec option in a game makes one 'soft'. Are you going to play with a perma-death mod installed?

I thought perma-death would be vanilla?

Hardcore mode is when you die and the game deletes System32.

I agree, which is why I would never use it, and think it's stupid to use it in a game like this. But I have no real problem with it existing as it shouldn't, in theory, detract from the design. The game should be designed as is, respec or no respec, and the option is simply there for people who want that comfort blanket of undoing their mistakes or are unhappy with their character. If the game was designed around respecing, to the point where it's expected, then yeah that's stupid.

But I'm confident the team behind this project wouldn't do that, and respecing instead would simply be there to appease people who wish to use it. You could add respecing to any of the classic old CRPGs and it wouldn't make a difference, unless you're really anal about optional features simply being there...for whatever reason.

The reason would be that I like a variety of experiences within gaming with unique visions instead of everything attempting to appeal to as broad a swathe of people as possible. Which also leaves plenty of room for that vision differing from my own, so I'm interested to see what Obsidian do with this. I'm totally on board with what Sawyer is saying about not punishing people for lack of prescience, I just feel like there has to be a better way of doing that.

duckroll said:
Respecing core stats, race, culture, etc will probably NEVER happen. I don't think that subject has even every come up in any serious discussion.

So maybe this is a lot more reasonable than the conclusion I immediately jumped to.

marrec

Banned
I thought perma-death would be vanilla?

Hardcore mode is when you die and the game deletes System32.

So now we have Dennis' definition of 'Hardcore'.

;P

How about if you respec then someone sends you an e-mail with your face photoshopped onto Drake's body with the caption 'You got soft son.' and a free t-shirt that says 'softie pants'.?

duckroll

;P

How about if you respec then someone sends you an e-mail with your face photoshopped onto Drake's body with the caption 'You got soft son.' and a free t-shirt that says 'softie pants'.?

ROFL....

Sharp

;P

I think we would all be okay with this.

Lancehead

It shouldn't be strategic, you should be allowed to focus on the role-play even with a "badly" built character. Respec doesn't lower the amount o strategic fiddling, it encourages you to think strategically because you can just change strategies mid-game.
The game should be built so that there are as few choices that screw you over in character creation as possible. Now, it's never going to be perfect, but just including some tips in the character creation screen ("Wizards needs high Int", that's also the amount of strategy I expect) can be enough.

I agree, but it's very difficult to remove strategic elements from a party based RPG than from a single character RPG, and I'm not even sure that's a good idea. Simply because classes and skills are designed to compliment one another. If you remove any and all strategy from builds, then the point of building parties would be lost, as you can just randomly pick five companions.

dude

dude
I agree, but it's very difficult to remove strategic elements from a party based RPG than from a single character RPG, and I'm not even sure that's a good idea. Simply because classes and skills are designed to compliment one another. If you remove any and all strategy from builds, then the point of building parties would be lost, as you can just randomly pick five companions.

Actually, I believe it's the other way around. In a party based RPG, it's much easier to remove the strategic elements of any one individual character because most of the strategic elements are in the party composition. To give an example, if your thief is min-maxed to hell with 18 dex and such he still wouldn't be that big of an advantage over a less strategic thief with 14 dex because you really just need serviceable thief for you party. Imoen, as a 7th level thief, could act as the sole thief until the end of ToB. You just need the characters to have assigned roles, how they are built is less relevant than games like Diablo or the Witcher, where the whole burden of the gameplay lies on a single character.
That's why BG2 got away with giving some its companions really bad ability scores (I will again invoke Anomen's 12 Wisdon, for a cleric, and he was still a serviceable character until the end of the game.)

dude said:

Sawyer seems to be a big proponent of allowing people to come up with a conceptual archetype for their character and then having the game to allow you to pick stats, skills, weapons, and equipment to support that archetype. I believe his concern is that sometimes you may early on decide that certain skills would fit well with your concept only to find out much later that you didn't understanding a key rule. At that point the person can no longer effectively play their character concept and it becomes less fun.

Paraphrasing an example from Something Awful (it may have been his) maybe you have the idea that your character is a swashbuckling type that uses rapiers. But at the outset you think rapiers fall under Long Swords instead of another weapon category so you pick the wrong weapon proficiency. It could be several hours later before you realize your error so at that point you either suck it up and deal or you lose a bunch of progress.

wrowa

If an option is in the game, people are going to use it. If people use the option, it's going to change their perception of the game. It doesn't really matter at that point that the developer doesn't regard it as a vital part of the game design because he only included it as an "emergency button". To the contrary, the inclusion of the option might actually signal to the player that he should respec often in order to have a good build for the different areas of the game. Thus the game could become known as "that RPG where you have to respec all the time", even though the option was included with the very best intentions.

But I absolutely don't think that this is a reason not to include respec. I actually think it's a very important feature to have. Immersion is important in an RPG, that's true and I am not arguing against this, but immersion isn't more important than the "enjoyability" of a game. The most frustrating thing that can happen in an RPG is to realize after 15 hours of gameplay that the character you build is useless.

And I absolutely don't accept that this should be regarded as the player's fault.

In most cases, the player couldn't have known before hand. Most RPGs demand you to build your character in the first minutes of the game. It's at the very beginning that you have to decide who you want to play for the next 30 to 100 hours. But even though there are theoretically dozens of viable combinations, it's nearly impossible for a game to support all of these combinations viably. Even if a certain character seemed to be great and fun in your mind, it might turn out that this particular game is designed in a way that renders your character useless.

How would you have known that? You didn't experience more than 10 minutes of gameplay yet, how could you have known what this game expects from you?

I agree that respec shouldn't be encouraged at all times (and it doesn't make much sense to change your character after 50 hours of whatever), but it should be there. Limit the amount of possible respecs to, say, two times. Make it expensive (but not so expensive that the player who needs it can't afford it anyway). Make whatever you can.

Respec is only one solution, though, and it should be the last. More importantly, I think that RPGs need to be more transparent upfront. Analyze my build and tell me: Is this build viable? What do I have to expect? Will the game be really hard with my specs or is it going to be a cakewalk? I'm aware that his is easer said than done, but I think it's a very important step to take.

mclem

I don't agree, at least in this particular situation. You say that the game would have to be *designed* around a respec, but, well, why? Assuming you don't permit the player to completely rebuild their character for every encounter (the extreme end, of course!) what's inherently problematic about designing it around no respec and then plugging in a couple of emergency outs?

dude: What about the situation where you end up with a character - ten hours in, say - that you're not really *enjoying* roleplaying? You're seeing whizzbang spells all around you and you're feeling that your sword-based character isn't as enjoyable, and you don't particularly want to play it any more.

You could - and indeed, probably *should* - restart the game, but that's ten hours of gameplay you're going to have to toil through and at that stage I can see many players just saying 'fuck it' and moving on to some other game. A respec is - potentially - a way of saving the game for them.

EVOL 100%

Some people did mention a radical change of your player character that didn't have to do with skills though. :p

I think there has been games where they allowed you to respec your core stats at least, but yeah I can't see it happening in this particular one.

duckroll

What did Fallout NV allow you to respec?

The respec at the start of the game is a full respec iirc, because the intro area is treated as a sort of tutorial. But this is basically just the first hour or less of the game.

Old World Blues offers a trait respec and a face respec. They are designed as one time respecs in the advanced AutoDoc. They are presented as a "psychological reevaluation" and facial reconstruction surgery.

The reason why the trait respec was put in OWB is because they added a trait in the DLC which would basically lock the level cap at the default 30 instead of the 5 level increments each DLC offered, which is something some players were asking for. By putting the trait respec inside the DLC, it gives players a chance to actually use that without having to create a new character to play all over again.

Top Bottom