• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

I jsut noticed that my save files say "act 2".
I didn't even know there are acts in this game.
When does act 2 start? When I reach
Defiance bay
?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
definitely dex, the few extra points to deflection won't matter

I started a barb recently, but I might reroll. I went high might/con/dex and left int at 10, but it really sounds like high int is awesome for barbs. I didn't think it would matter much due to being melee anyway, but I guess not.

Con in general doesn't seem all that important, as it's overall effect on endurance/HP is significantly less than just class choice, so I am guessing for a high might/int/dex build you just leave con at 10-12?

moojito

I would enjoy this thread a whole lot more if folk would learn how to spoiler tag properly.

Correct way:

Early act 2 spoiler
Things happen!

If you just randomly cover things in spoiler tags, there's no way to know what is being hidden and whether or not it's something you'll already have learned.

Having to skip past 50% of posts because I'm not sure and don't fancy risking it is annoying as hell.

infi

I jsut noticed that my save files say "act 2".
I didn't even know there are acts in this game.
When does act 2 start? When I reach
Defiance bay
?

When you get a screen with scrolling text and a voice over you've changed acts, and yeah
Defiance bay
is when act 2 starts.

How is the strategy guide? I saw a copy at my local EB Games this afternoon and I'm tempted to go back for it. Is it true there's only going to be a single printing? I typically don't buy strategy guides, but this one looks rather nice.

Violet_0

Banned
I started a barb recently, but I might reroll. I went high might/con/dex and left int at 10, but it really sounds like high int is awesome for barbs. I didn't think it would matter much due to being melee anyway, but I guess not.

Con in general doesn't seem all that important, as it's overall effect on endurance/HP is significantly less than just class choice, so I am guessing for a high might/int/dex build you just leave con at 10-12?

in my opinion con is pretty useless. 12 con just gives you +6% extra endurance, and barbs already have the largest health pool anyway and that doesn't make them particularly durable either. For casters/ranged weapon users/damage dealers con is the safest attribute to use as a dump stat. Tanks should probably prioritize deflection above all else. Most characters get their fortitude defense from might

Alastor3

Everytime I finish a quest and a character reward me with something, I never know what he gave me and my inventory is a bit of a mess, is there a place that tell me what he gave me ?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Everytime I finish a quest and a character reward me with something, I never know what he gave me and my inventory is a bit of a mess, is there a place that tell me what he gave me ?

I used to click the X next to the balloon icon in the lower right side of the UI

Tigress

Does anyone know if this would work on my 2013 13" Macbook Retina Pro?

It's got the right processor and an Intel Iris 1536 MB (unfortunately this is what trips me up cause it's an integrated card so I don't know what it's equivelant is in stand alone graphics or for that matter much about stand alone graphics cards and equivelants).

Melchior

Question about Main Quest in Twin Elms:

So I grabbed all of the quests from the God prayer area (appeasement I think) and I went to go deal with Hylea's but I do not have the damage to handle that dragon. Any tips (Hard&Expert)? Do I HAVE to kill the dragon since I grabbed the quest? My whole party is level 8. I figured it would be best to start doing some side quests to level up.

Also I have every upgrade (available to me) for the Stronghold and I'm in Act 3 but I don't have the upgrade achievement. Just wondering if I'm missing an unlockable one or if it's bugged.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

So I grabbed all of the quests from the God prayer area (appeasement I think) and I went to go deal with Hylea's but I do not have the damage to handle that dragon. Any tips (Hard&Expert)? Do I HAVE to kill the dragon since I grabbed the quest? My whole party is level 8. I figured it would be best to start doing some side quests to level up.

Also I have every upgrade (available to me) for the Stronghold and I'm in Act 3 but I don't have the upgrade achievement. Just wondering if I'm missing an unlockable one or if it's bugged.

No, you do not have to do that thing. But you are severely underleveled for where you are at. You are close to a point of no return, so be careful or you'll be screwed.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

No need to kill the dragon. I didn't. Not sure what stats are required, but Hylea bought my logic.

As said above, though, you might wanna go hit some side content/tasks before progressing much further

Melchior

No, you do not have to do that thing. But you are severely underleveled for where you are at. You are close to a point of no return, so be careful or you'll be screwed.

No need to kill the dragon. I didn't. Not sure what stats are required, but Hylea bought my logic.

As said above, though, you might wanna go hit some side content/tasks before progressing much further

Alright thanks guys. I'll go start doing some quests.

Miletius

Using the party menu? When I press the p key it tells me I need to be at Caed Nua.

Go to the innkeeper, and ask about hirelings. That'll bring up the party interface so you can switch party members.

It's got the right processor and an Intel Iris 1536 MB (unfortunately this is what trips me up cause it's an integrated card so I don't know what it's equivelant is in stand alone graphics or for that matter much about stand alone graphics cards and equivelants).

I can run it on a 2014 Air, if that helps. I think your pro should be fine, especially if you turn AA down. Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer though.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not sure of the equivalence, but I'm running it wonderfully on a Geforce 8600. A midrange card from 2006.

Go to the innkeeper, and ask about hirelings. That'll bring up the party interface so you can switch party members.

I can run it on a 2014 Air, if that helps. I think your pro should be fine, especially if you turn AA down. Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer though.

Ah thanks

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How come I can't scoop up the Black Dog at the Drywood inn on this char? I don't have the options I usually do. Does it require perception or something?

Very early game spoiler:
I took Kolsc's quest to kill his cousin, but after sneaking through the castle (and only killing two people!) I kept dying at the final fight. I finally picked the option like I would go kill Kolsc, but can I go back and kill the king when my party is stronger?

How come I can't scoop up the Black Dog at the Drywood inn on this char? I don't have the options I usually do. Does it require perception or something?

Did you talk with the innkeeper about the dog?

Very early game spoiler:
I took Kolsc's quest to kill his cousin, but after sneaking through the castle (and only killing two people!) I kept dying at the final fight. I finally picked the option like I would go kill Kolsc, but can I go back and kill the king when my party is stronger?

I think you can

Labadal

Very early game spoiler:
You can come back later.

Varna

My god... how is Pallegina suppose to be a tank? Her defenses are even worse then my MC who I built around being a DPS. No defender like skill either.

Violet_0

Banned
My god... how is Pallegina suppose to be a tank? Her defenses are even worse then my MC who I built around being a DPS. No defender like skill either.

plate mail, large shield + talent, ring with +10 deflection (check the merchant in Defiance Bay), the +5 deflection talent once you got all the important talents, items that give +perception and resolve. Don't get the damage reduction aura, the accuracy aura is way better

It gets better later on when she can improve her own defenses and add a few points of DR with her aura. But yeah, needs like lvl ~7 or so to start being effective as a tank. Though that aura is kinda crap compared to the upgraded accuracy aura.

traveler

Not Wario
Just now starting the game. Is there anything I should know? Any "broken" stats that I just shouldn't touch? (Heard something in Sensuki's beginner's guide about perception not working, but that was an older video.)

Wanted to roleplay a Lovecraftian investigator type rogue that relies on perception, guns and mechanics, but it looks like nearly everyone should value might as a trait and humans aren't the best race for hardly any class, much less rogue, surprisingly enough. The weapon swap off the aquatic guys seems too good to pass up for gun centric build.

Purkake4

Banned
So I finished it in 47h. Overall, I'm kind of torn about it. When Divinity was a cRPG revolution, Pillars feels like an evolution, getting many things right but also stumbling along the way. Without spoilers, here's my thoughts:

The good:
  • Loved the journal and the bestiary, very well designed, intuitive to use and actually fun to read.
  • Loved the Endless Paths of Od Nua, really felt like they put a lot of effort into it. It's well thought out, fun to play and not just a dungeon of trash mobs.
  • Most of the companions were great, if not amazing.
  • Encounter design was fun
  • Quests were open-ended and interesting
  • The main story was personal, as per Obidian's normal MO. Still not something you see in most games.
The bad:
  • The 12-level cap felt off for a 40h+ 4 act game.
  • The balance kind of went out the window sometime around the end of act II
  • So many little mechanical things that could have used a few more months to tweak. Things like forced full-party stealth, not being able to target AoE spells on specific enemies, AI pathfinding etc.
  • The ruleset lacked what (as flawed as it was) DnD provided to BG2, depth. The ability scores felt arbitrary, as they mostly just added a percentage to something. The skills felt tacked-on, barely serving a purpose at all. The set item enchantments made unique equipments just another mishmash of enchantments. A lot of the status effects lacked the severity they have in Divinity, for example. Also really disliked inns giving you ability and skill bonuses, but that might be just me.
  • This is a bit more personal, but the setting didn't really do anything for me. I kind of loathed the soul stuff by the end. (I did love all the books and plays, though).
  • All the kickstarter baggage, including the Stronghold. If you're not going to put effort into it, use those resources somewhere else. The gold-plated NPC-s were just cringeworthy and took me out of the game, not just with the text but also the way they looked. I guess it's a learning experience, as the backer inns were great on the other hand.

Purkake4

Banned
I agree with most of what you said, but what do you mean by the AOE on enemies thing? 'Locking' aoes to centre on certain foes or something?
Yes, in BG2, you'd either target your AoE spells on the ground or on an enemy. So if the enemies moved, you'd still catch them. It really annoyed me that in Pillars you just have to eyeball it or use other spells (which I mostly did).

This mostly makes me want to go back and play BG2 again with the new and consolidated tactics pack.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, in BG2, you'd either target your AoE spells on the ground or on an enemy. So if the enemies moved, you'd still catch them. It really annoyed me that in Pillars you just have to eyeball it or use other spells (which I mostly did).

This mostly makes me want to go back and play BG2 again with the new and consolidated tactics pack.

Ah. Eh, I dunno it has its charms- spells that explicitly are centred on enemies still exist and track them, and this makes solo playthroughts a lot better when you can dodge the spell.

Pathfinding is inexcusable though. Apart from Minsc constantly getting stuck on doors, the IE games were a lot better.

plate mail, large shield + talent, ring with +10 deflection (check the merchant in Defiance Bay), the +5 deflection talent once you got all the important talents, items that give +perception and resolve. Don't get the damage reduction aura, the accuracy aura is way better
Yeah, I didn't invest in any other modal auras once I saw what the Accuracy one did.

Uthred

Anyone run into an issue where GM keeps losing one focus? I swapped out all her equipment so it doesnt seem to be equipment based. Its pretty annoying as it drops her one below the cost of an ability (or -1 Focus at times)

Purkake4

Banned
Spoilers for the Defiance Bay Sanitarium:

What's the deal with the chest in the Sanitarium basement that gives you one of those text adventure things? I never got a quest related to that.

wolfhowwl

Banned

What's the deal with the chest in the Sanitarium basement that gives you one of those text adventure things? I never got a quest related to that.

It's part of
another quest you get in Copperlane by talking to Dalton.

Labadal

There's a quest that it is related to as the above poster said. Opening it doesn't end well for someone.

KePoW

Banned
Are Steam achievements still bugged?

I'm in Act 3 but don't have the achievement for completing Act 2

I've only used the console to change the zoom factor

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I'm about to roll my second character and it's gonna be a barbarian. Besides high intellect and might, what else should I take? Dex? Resolve?

i dont think it matters a whole lot. i put leftover points into Dex so i would be harder to hit but i try my best to not get hit as a Barbarian. i run in light or no armor to maximize the amount of swings and i enter the fray of battle once my tank has the brunt of enemies attention. If i could redo my creation i would put the two points into Resolve for the dialogue options. i would also consider going Orlan instead of Death Godlike for the crit racial. The Death Godlike racial is nice but that pike i have with the Crit on Prone.. its a good enough weapon to build around plus having a helmet slot would be nice. spoilers for the weapon
.............. its a pike called Tall Grass and it was for sale in Dyrford.

As for Barbarian talents and skill main things to keep an eye on are Brute Force which changes attacks that normally target Deflection to instead target Fortitude (or the lowest of the two) and Threatening Presence which does an AoE Sickened as long as you are standing still (Sickened lowers Will and Fortitude saves of enemies by 10). Talents the only one that i feel is essential is Two-Handed Style for the increase in 2h damage. The other talents i have chosen are kind of unappealing. There might be a gem or three of talents i should have chosen however. Later one when im done with my playthrough i will have to abuse the console/cheat and see how to better optimize the Barb for leveling. i picked up the self-heal first i think but i rarely use it because i try not to get hit in the first place.

So someone completed triple crown and is submitting his save to the devs. Apparently retaliation is
broken as shit because it stacks

Reddit post about it

Also,
He claims its a legit run except that he had to exploit the last boss

Level 11 and about to
enter the tower
in Act 2. I get the feeling I might have overdone it.
How? I feel like I did everything I could and I'm only level 9
I went House Doemenel, had a full party, and was playing on hard

Top Bottom