• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

El Topo

How? I feel like I did everything I could and I'm only level 9
I went House Doemenel, had a full party, and was playing on hard

Well, most of the time I've run around with a three member party, later four. Lately I've stocked up to five/six though, if only to get the companion quests done.
I'd like to add that there's just way, way too many battles in this game, many of them not particularly interesting. If I see another Xaurip....

Varna

Spoiler request about a quest.

So I got to a quest with the Knights that made it pretty obvious that would
lock me out of any stuff with the Dozen
. Not exactly sure what there deal is yet so I decided to pay them a visit first and see their point of view... Quest I get from them doesn't seem too bad until I advance a bit and it looks like it involves killing knights. So is this effectively blocking me from doing any more business with them?

Varna

I'm surprised by the amount of banter companions have. Few people in here have mention how it's almost non-existent.

EDIT: All these summon creature items are a godsend on PotD. There really should be a lore check on them... they seem pretty OP.

petghost

Banned
Maybe not the right place but I figured you guys might know if there has been any interesting info on torment recently? Last I saw of it was that short gameplay trailer.

hemtae

Maybe not the right place but I figured you guys might know if there has been any interesting info on torment recently? Last I saw of it was that short gameplay trailer.

There's been a few kickstarter updates, most notably the Gullet stretch goal (an area designed by Ziets) made it, and a few low key interviews.

Violet_0

Banned
EDIT: All these summon creature items are a godsend on PotD. There really should be a lore check on them... they seem pretty OP.
yeah, the summon items trivialize almost any encounter in the game. Many of the summoned creatures are surprisingly durable. If people have trouble with certain fights, they should look around Defiance Bay more carefully and also check the stores

I feel like PoE could use a D&D-style feat, attribute, and prestige class system to spice up character building. Most of the talents are very drawl bonuses with little-to-no effect on dialog or environment interaction. And the classes... well, aside from the slight flexibility you have while levelling up, end up rather similar; the same goes for the attributes. Chiefly, a D&D-styled system would allow for greater distinction between characters.

Then again, perhaps I just want classes to matter from a roleplaying perspective.
I'm surprised by the amount of banter companions have. Few people in here have mention how it's almost non-existent.

If you mean the passive banter as you move through areas, it's really easy to miss depending on how you play. For instance, I probably missed a fair amount of it because I always zoom out and command the party to a distant part of the map, then speed up and sit for them to arrive. Once you're a screen or two away, party voices are muted and unless you're on the dialog tab you'll miss the chatter completely.

JC Sera

Spoiler request about a quest.

So I got to a quest with the Knights that made it pretty obvious that would
lock me out of any stuff with the Dozen
. Not exactly sure what there deal is yet so I decided to pay them a visit first and see their point of view... Quest I get from them doesn't seem too bad until I advance a bit and it looks like it involves killing knights. So is this effectively blocking me from doing any more business with them?
If it affects your decision in any way the Dozen one has you
desecrating ancient engwithan ruins

Xiraiya

It takes me ages to get through each area as I don't want to run straight into an encounter and be positioned badly for it, so I generally sneak for awhile at first as I'm clearing the map and collecting plants/secret stashes. They talk about different stuff sometimes it feels pretty good, feels like an adventure, I may be going through the game slowly but I feel way more like I'm getting more content out of it.

Rather than just fast forward through everything.

Arkanius

I'm on Act 2, and there are two minor quibles with the game for me:

1. Stronghold, it feels so shallow building it
2. Defiance Bay... doesn't feel alive at all like Athkatla. Either I'm not finding all the quests or I have managed to thread through most of them.

Vamphuntr

I'm on Act 2, and there are two minor quibles with the game for me:

1. Stronghold, it feels so shallow building it
2. Defiance Bay... doesn't feel alive at all like Athkatla. Either I'm not finding all the quests or I have managed to thread through most of them.

Well, yeah it's no Athkatla. The scope is much smaller and most of the quests there are really short. The stronghold do suck too.

Nohar

Initially, I wasn't very fond of Hiravias (the druid), but turns out he has some of the best lines among our companions.

Xiraiya

I saw people's impressions about the stronghold and I had certain expectations just going by how you all made it seem. It's definitely more involved than I expected, also fits the game overall more than I thought it would.
However it does have a certain DLC/expansion vibe to it, which I don't really mind.

Ferrio

Banned
Going to start this soon, anything I should know or have a heads up about? Like options that I should make sure to have checked or mods that I might wanna have?

Varna

I saw people's impressions about the stronghold and I had certain expectations just going by how you all made it seem. It's definitely more involved than I expected, also fits the game overall more than I thought it would.
However it does have a certain DLC/expansion vibe to it, which I don't really mind.

Certain a step up form the BG2 stronghold stuff. It's just really hard to keep going back and forth to get stuff done. Would be great if you could just hire someone to run it and be able to make decisions on what to build next from the road.

Baldur's Gate city was good but Athkatla was god tier. The content there was absurd.

Well, most of the content in the game was there.

Going to start this soon, anything I should know or have a heads up about? Like options that I should make sure to have checked or mods that I might wanna have?

Slow combat option! If this is your first time with IE style game I suggest turning on auto-pause for ; Enemy sighted, health low, character down and stop all movement when enemy spotted.

Arkanius

Certain a step up form the BG2 stronghold stuff. It's just really hard to keep going back and forth to get stuff done. Would be great if you could just hire someone to run it and be able to make decisions on what to build next from the road.

Well, most of the content in the game was there.

Slow combat option! If this is your first time with IE style game I suggest turning on auto-pause for ; Enemy sighted, health low, character down and stop all movement when enemy spotted.

I also suggest auto pause for when you finish casting a spell. If you have Ciphers in your team it's very important (So you cast everything then crit them to death)

Varna

Huh... ran into a strange issue.

I found this book in the
tower in Heritage Hill
. It's called the Iroccian Calendar. Right click doesn't seem to open it and attempting to read it also makes my ESC key non responsive for a while. Anyone want to try and duplicate this?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see the issue. Looks like certain books are opening at the very bottom of my screen. I can't drag them up to read them though.

Dammit...

After act 2, I talked to a guard on the bridge and he said "so-and-so would like to talk to you the next time you're in Defiance Bay." I assumed he meant the leader of the Crucible Knights, because I have a hard time remembering everyone's names.

So now I went back and it turns out that wasn't the guy and I have no idea who in the entire city I'm supposed to talk to. Does anyone know?

Slightly more info:
Specifically, the moment act 2 ended and you're on the bridge with the city burning behind you. I talked to a guard right there and he told me that.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Huh... ran into a strange issue.

I found this book in the
tower in Heritage Hill
. It's called the Iroccian Calendar. Right click doesn't seem to open it and attempting to read it also makes my ESC key non responsive for a while. Anyone want to try and duplicate this?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see the issue. Looks like certain books are opening at the very bottom of my screen. I can't drag them up to read them though.

This is probably the only bug ive encountered while playing (not trying to replicate or break things that is). i fixed this by restarting the game.

Mupod

just started the game recently despite being an early kickstarter backer, MH and bloodborne got in my way.

can you use custom portraits/voices? And if so has anyone got a pre-made setup for Minsc from BG already?

Pathfinding is inexcusable though. Apart from Minsc constantly getting stuck on doors, the IE games were a lot better.

That's crazy talk. I'm replaying BG now and the pathfinding is, hands down, the single most infuriating thing about the game. Trying to navigate a party of 6 through Firewine or Ulcaster was rage inducing. Even in an open wilderness area the back two members of the party are prone to just turn around and walk in totally the opposite direction.

40+ hours into PoE and I really haven't had any issues with pathfinding at all.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
That's crazy talk. I'm replaying BG now and the pathfinding is, hands down, the single most infuriating thing about the game. Trying to navigate a party of 6 through Firewine or Ulcaster was rage inducing. Even in an open wilderness area the back two members of the party are prone to just turn around and walk in totally the opposite direction.

I'm playing BG2 right now and it seems a lot better. Maybe just a BG1 issue? I've never played it not in BG2's engine.

Varna

Did you play the EE of BG1/2? Somehow the pathfinding is even worse in those then the originals. But I agree that in general the pathfinding in PoE is much better. Especially when covering long distances in somewhat crowded areas.

PoE's biggest pathfinding issues I've found is meele characters who refuse to take shortcuts to reach enemies when issuing an attack order. They choose some awful routes or sometimes just try and and constantly squeeze through areas they obvious can't (such as through party members). So you have to manually move them, get em close enough to the target then issue the attack.

Uthred

I'm confused by the last part, the only stronghold function that requires you to be in the stronghold is changing the party. Everything else, building, hiring, assigning adventures, etc. you can do wherever you are

Varna

I'm confused by the last part, the only stronghold function that requires you to be in the stronghold is changing the party. Everything else, building, hiring, assigning adventures, etc. you can do wherever you are

Ok... I'm an idiot then.

I guess I don't really have an issue with it at all. It's an optional element, has some nice lore attached (although not consequential to the main story... but why does everything have to be). Gives you some nice side objectives if you want.

Did you play the EE of BG1/2? Somehow the pathfinding is even worse in those then the originals. But I agree that in general the pathfinding in PoE is much better. Especially when covering long distances in somewhat crowded areas.

Yeah, I'm playing BG1:EE. It doesn't have the pathfinding node options that the original games had so I had assumed that it defaults to the maxed out nodes (because why wouldn't it).

Varna

Yeah, I'm playing BG1:EE. It doesn't have the pathfinding node options that the original games had so I had assumed that it defaults to the maxed out nodes (because why wouldn't it).

I don't recall exactly, but there was certainly a lot of talk about the pathfinding in both games. General consensus was that pathfinding was better in BG:EE but worse in BG2:EE compared to the originals.

Xiraiya

...But you can, there's a whole menu right there just for that stuff! The Steward even says
she can contact you from anywhere to get things done!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
worst part about the stronghold for me is the ages it takes to reach the warden's lodge. I dreaded the times I had to go back there for bounties

traveler

Not Wario
Is there any reason to care about the racial stat predispositions? I can just adjust the attributes afterwards so that every race is capable of the same thing.

Varna

Is there any reason to care about the racial stat predispositions? I can just adjust the attributes afterwards so that every race is capable of the same thing.

Yeah. It's not really implemented very well. The background stats don't really mean much either for the same reason.

traveler

Not Wario
Best Paladin race? Debating between Moon Godlike, Hearth Orlan and Wild Orlan. Leaning towards the latter.

Kinda. If it's not a racial/culture bonus, I don't think it can go above 18.

So going over 18 is the only reason you'd ever care then? Yeah, that's only going to matter for some builds. Kind of a weird implementation. :/

Mercuryvoid

Neo Member
I'm at the beginning of Act 3, so a bit spoiler here, but
can you go back to Defiance Bay after the riot and assasination of the duc? I still have some active quest there, and I really need to buy some weapon from the Salty Mast secret shop.

hemtae

I'm at the beginning of Act 3, so a bit spoiler here, but
can you go back to Defiance Bay after the riot and assasination of the duc? I still have some active quest there, and I really need to buy some weapon from the Salty Mast secret shop.

Yes.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
worst part about the stronghold for me is the ages it takes to reach the warden's lodge. I dreaded the times I had to go back there for bounties

I really like pretty much everything about the stronghold except what you said. The bounties are great fights but horrible to get to.

The fact that it was disconnected from the rest of the game was nice. It was always fun to come back and do a couple levels of the mega dungeon and get some crafting mats or whatever. The fact that it is separate makes it the perfect place to go after a quest and just do some combat.

Tash

Is there any point in keeping books? Reading them is also only for lore purpose, right?

It seems notes on the other hand can help with quests and puzzles.

oddjobs

Huh,

Finished it yesterday!

Last battle become kind of epic in its own silly way:

After killing off the statues, Edêr was the only one left standing... It was Thaos spamming some sort of flame strike-y spell vs Edêr just turtling and hitting him for 3-5 damage per hit :D

Came real close to losing as the flames whitted my health down, though endurance-wise it was going ok, didn't have any potions or stuff like that set up in the quick slots. But Edêr persisted!

I'm thinking now I probably want to figure out the quickest way to make some cash so I can play with a full party of custom dudes from the get go,
as there should be plenty enough XP to max out even without the companion quests.

I started a barb recently, but I might reroll. I went high might/con/dex and left int at 10, but it really sounds like high int is awesome for barbs. I didn't think it would matter much due to being melee anyway, but I guess not.

Con in general doesn't seem all that important, as it's overall effect on endurance/HP is significantly less than just class choice, so I am guessing for a high might/int/dex build you just leave con at 10-12?
Yep, do it.
My lvl 6 fighter has 10 CON and Eder (which has 17) only has around 20% more endurance. And barb has even higher endurance.
Having higher Endurance / HP barely makes your barb better at absorbing damage. Endurance/ HP is also just a stresshold. If you want him to be less in need of constant healing support in the frontline, it's better to increase deflection and DR (armor).

Invest those point into maxing might, dexterity and the rest in intelligence &resolve (prevents interruptions if you're using two handed weapons, and adds to deflection&will as well).

Top Bottom