• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

keuja

That
Narlend the Wise
fight was by far the most difficult i had so far...
the incessant insect swarms and Ogre AoE strikes are just brutal

Irnbru

Christ, what is up with nerfs in single player games. like, you get used to one playstyle, and if it wasn't for me paying attention to whats going on I'd have no clue. just makes me want to drop the game.

Christ, what is up with nerfs in single player games. like, you get used to one playstyle, and if it wasn't for me paying attention to whats going on I'd have no clue. just makes me want to drop the game.

Is wanting a balanced game wrong or something? Because the latter half of PoE is in dire need of balancing.

I don't like that balancing a game is slowly becoming synonymous with MMO-style nerfs to "the unfavoured classes" or whatever. It's such a weird mentality to have, especially when difficulty (and thus balance) is part of a game's point.

Giolon

Is wanting a balanced game wrong or something? Because the latter half of PoE is in dire need of balancing.

I don't like that balancing a game is slowly becoming synonymous with MMO-style nerfs to "the unfavoured classes" or whatever. It's such a weird mentality to have, especially when difficulty (and thus balance) is part of a game's point.

Right? Especially when it's clear that some classes are far more powerful than others, leading to distinctly different difficulties experienced for people who happened to choose one or the other. It's not always a matter of just "bring everything up!" either - b/c there are targeted difficulty levels for each setting that you want to try to make sure you're hitting. Balance is more than just a multiplayer concept.

Varna

I'm really glad Obsidian is dedicating time to balancing.

I'm still waiting on that Wasteland 2 balance patch that was promised what... three months ago? That game is just ridiculous about half way into the game when nothing makes any damn sense anymore.

The Cipher nerf was needed the most. When you can stun 8 enemies right at the start of combat you know something isn't right. I really wish they would take the fatigue system one step further and have it be a resource you use in combat.

Nohar

The Cipher nerf was needed the most. When you can perma-stun 8 enemies right at the start of combat you know something isn't right. I really wish they would take the fatigue system one step further and have it be a resource you use in combat.

Fixed.

Also, no. The fatigue system is a chore, especially at low level, when you have a limited amount of camping supplies, money, and when your characters have 0 points in athletics (thanksfully, it is less of a problem now that we can reroll NPC upon joining). Not to mention that for some odd reasons traveling around Gilded Vale takes "longer" than anywhere else, making your characters tired more often.
Frankly, the Fatigue system doesn't add anything to the game, and I see it as an artefact from the D&D days.

Finished this last night. Every quest and storyline with the exception of the druid, and that last act 3 mission
with the poisoning
. Hit level 12 while
appeasing all the gods
which felt good, although as noted several times petrify can trivialize almost any significant encounter. Final fight was nothing compared to
Adra Dragon
, a little disappointing on normal. Of course I blew all my crafting mats in Act 4 because I knew the game was over and I had pretty much everything I would get, so the party was pretty powerful. Final composition was Eder, Pallegina, PC (Chanter), Grieving Mother, Aloth, Durance. I liked Sagini too, knockdowns from pet are nice, had huge range on her with decent dps, and her cc ability was helpful too. I never played with the druid at all, nor had any rogue types. Never got another stronghold invasion or anything, that whole system was weird but not a big nuisance and my daughters got a kick out seeing the tavern restored, so no skin off my back.

Uninstalled immediately after finishing to avoid starting another playthrough. The backlog is too big. Lovely game, really enjoyed it.

Zabojnik

Did you wait until now to begin your quest??

I did, somehow. The plan was always to finish Bloodborne first, but I originally expected to sink into PoE no later than around the middle of April. Finishing BB took longer than I thought, and I vastly underestimated how much free time playing PES2015 with fellow (ex)Footy-GAFfers would chip away, lol. Then came the reports of a few nasty bugs ... and so here we are.

Btw, any tips for a solid barbarian build? Is DPS the way to go or are there any decent alternatives? Also, any point in going with high intellect?

Btw, any tips for a solid barbarian build? Is DPS the way to go or are there any decent alternatives? Also, any point in going with high intellect?
Intellect is one of your most important stats because it governs your Barbarian damage area of effect thing, whatever it's called.

KR_remix

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331721253309/pillars-of-eternity-what-next-for-obsidian

Interesting interview regarding Pillars, mods, etc.

The rpg kickstarters that came before them had a bit of an influence on why they went with a fantasy setting.
I really want a non fantasy setting for their next kickstarter. >.<

&#8220;To be honest, it&#8217;s a bit of [both],&#8221; Urquhart tells Red Bull in the aftermath of the game&#8217;s release. &#8220;Part of it was the reality that Brian [Fargo] had already done Wasteland, which was post-apocalyptic, Harebrained [Schemes] had already done Shadowrun, which was fantasy and cyberpunk. For us, it seemed like the best opportunity was fantasy.

Some off topic stuff I found more interesting.

Apparently Obsidian was approached to do a GoT rpg
In fact, around eight years ago, Obsidian actually turned down the opportunity to do the first Game of Thrones RPG.

&#8220;I don&#8217;t know if the project would have ever happened,&#8221; says Urquhart, candidly, &#8220;but we were approached by a big publisher, and they had the Game of Thrones licence at the time.

Also they have considered doing a Skyrim style game, it would just be problematic to get enough money for one.
&#8220;And we&#8217;re looking at that right now. We go to the drawing board and say, &#8216;Hey, we&#8217;ve got $4 million to make Skyrim. What could we do?&#8217; We&#8217;re looking for solutions to that. Could we get something from crowdfunding, something from here and something from here, and kind of build a bigger budget that will let us move there?&#8221;

Some other interesting stuff in there too like an quick opinion on paid modding.

Sijil

Just wanted to say, Cipher + Blunderbuss is the best ranged support eva! Took down 3 Drakes at the same time on hard.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually starting a solo run with a Moon Godlike rogue. My stats are 19 Mig, 3 Con, 18 Dex, 16 Per, 4 Int, and 18 Res. Went with 1 Stealth, 1 Lore, and 3 Mechanic. I'm going to try and get by without any unnecessary fighting.

We'll see how far I get.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
RIP Gaze of the Adragan, I hardly knew thee.

is this a major patch that would make me reconsider my choice of Moon Godlike Monk?
I think the patch notes said they nerfed the armor with Retaliation if you were planning to use that (I think it has frenzy now).

iosefe

not gonna lie, i didn't really do the heavy research. i probably should, and the patch is a good opportunity. i'm only an hour in

After I downloaded the patch, the game wouldn't run so now i need to redownload another 6GB after I verified my files. Did this happen to anyone else?

I really need to stop putting this game off - it's been itching at the back of my mind for weeks.

Going to use a race unique to the setting, so either Aumaua, Orlan, or Godlike. Not sure on class.

Any (spoiler-free) tips for a new player?

JC Sera

I really need to stop putting this game off - it's been itching at the back of my mind for weeks.

Going to use a race unique to the setting, so either Aumaua, Orlan, or Godlike. Not sure on class.

Any (spoiler-free) tips for a new player?
Learn rules of engagement
Always have a tank upfront
Many wizard spells have friendly fire
Stats don't matter too much, just don't put them below 10. You don't get attribute increase up level up.
If you are finding an area to hard come back later with friends/levels.

Female Aumaua monk it is - should be interesting.

So do stats ever increase at all?

Adding to what hemtae said, there also exists
food items and drugs that may temporarily boost one or more of your stats. Very handy if there's a stat check you want to pass but you're just one point short.

Noaloha

I'm in a similar situation as you Deified, starting my 'proper' playthrough now.

I had the game at launch, played for 3 or 4 hours happily during the first few days but a combination of Cities: Skylines, a (surprise gift) new PS4, family vacations and the AoW3 expansion all left me with little time to dedicate to PoE. With all the talk of unfortunate bugs and the like I made the executive decision to backburner Pillars until a sufficiently later and notable patch went up, such as yesterday's.

When I did play, I went with Health Orlan Monk and, though your experience will hopefully differ, I didn't care too much for how Monk felt to play -- juggling small amounts of Monk-targeted damage for her Wounds with also having the tank still taking and keeping enemy's attention was a bit of a headache and bordered on the unfun side of micromanagement. I know at some point later my Monk was able to gain a couple of Wounds at will (to an extent) without relying on enemy attention, but still.

Rerolled my new game last night as a Rogue, which I assume will also be micromanagement heavy, but I'm hoping in a less fiddly, wrestling-with-enemy-agro kind of way.

I'm in a similar situation as you Deified, starting my 'proper' playthrough now.

I had the game at launch, played for 3 or 4 hours happily during the first few days but a combination of Cities: Skylines, a (surprise gift) new PS4, family vacations and the AoW3 expansion all left me with little time to dedicate to PoE. With all the talk of unfortunate bugs and the like I made the executive decision to backburner Pillars until a sufficiently later and notable patch went up, such as yesterday's.

When I did play, I went with Health Orlan Monk and, though your experience will hopefully differ, I didn't care too much for how Monk felt to play -- juggling small amounts of Monk-targeted damage for her Wounds with also having the tank still taking and keeping enemy's attention was a bit of a headache and bordered on the unfun side of micromanagement. I know at some point later my Monk was able to gain a couple of Wounds at will (to an extent) without relying on enemy attention, but still.

Rerolled my new game last night as a Rogue, which I assume will also be micromanagement heavy, but I'm hoping in a less fiddly, wrestling-with-enemy-agro kind of way.

Haha, honestly this is one instance where restartitus has reared its ugly head, and I haven't even found myself in a proper encounter yet to justify my fickleness. Rolling around a half dozen RP ideas in my head right now without any real thought towards viability.

I think I want to stick with Aumaua, but might roll a barbarian instead of a monk.

Varna

So, how hard is Path of the Damned?

I've completed all the quest in Defiance Bay with four classes. Getting to Defiance Bay on the first one was pretty rough, but once that happen the game got a lot easier. I was tearing through encounters pretty easily. Only difference between Hard and PotD was I actually had to make sure my guys stayed a live.

Zabojnik

Does anybody else have problems binding mouse buttons in 1.0.5? Binding quicksave to mouse 3 or mouse 4 works for me, binding map or inventory doesn't, either as primary or secondary. Odd. Is there an .ini file where you can input commands manually?

Ended up settling for an Aumaua Barbarian - I like it!

One thing - sometimes in combat I feel like characters are ignoring orders, or they'll just stand there after using an ability instead of attacking someone. Sometimes they move on from one enemy to another without any input from me. I don't mind a little micro, but I can't see any pattern to it. What am I doing wrong?

Niahak

One thing - sometimes in combat I feel like characters are ignoring orders, or they'll just stand there after using an ability instead of attacking someone. Sometimes they move on from one enemy to another without any input from me. I don't mind a little micro, but I can't see any pattern to it. What am I doing wrong?

I noticed that often characters don't do anything after an AOE that doesn't target a specific unit (like fan of flames), or after tasks that target friendlies. If they target a specific enemy, they'll auto-attack afterwards or move on to the next target if that one dies.

Sometimes they'll also stop doing things if there is no enemy in their line of sight.

It's frustrating, but it might be working as intended - it sounds like what I saw in an earlier patch.

I've completed all the quest in Defiance Bay with four classes. Getting to Defiance Bay on the first one was pretty rough, but once that happen the game got a lot easier. I was tearing through encounters pretty easily. Only difference between Hard and PotD was I actually had to make sure my guys stayed a live.

Yeah, I realized early on the Trial of Iron was not for me, so the dream of getting a Triple Crown is sadly dead.

Zomba13

Got the update today and it broke my game. Wouldn't launch just said something about the data folder needing to be next to the .exe and when I check the file integrity it says around 18,000 need to be redownloaded and is now just redowloading the game.

GG

Everything was fine yesterday. What is up with PC devs releasing patches that break my games lately?

There is basically no AI for your characters, so you will need to micro everything they do short of autoattacking with their weapon.

Palehorse

Got the update today and it broke my game. Wouldn't launch just said something about the data folder needing to be next to the .exe and when I check the file integrity it says around 18,000 need to be redownloaded and is now just redowloading the game.

GG

Everything was fine yesterday. What is up with PC devs releasing patches that break my games lately?

There was a post about this on their forums. One of the game folders get renamed, so putting it back to original fixes it in some cases. File integrity check is the other fix....

Note: We performed some changes to the game's Steam depots yesterday. Most of you shouldn't notice any difference, but some individuals that may have had non-standard game install locations were seeing some strange behavior where the PillarsofEternity_Data folder in the root of their game directory was getting renamed to EmptySteamDepot. If you rename that folder back to PillarsofEternity_Data, it should resolve the issue.

If renaming the folder doesn't work, try performing the Verify Integrity of Game Cache option in Steam to fix the problem. You can do this by right-clicking on the Pillars of Eternity game in your Library, clicking on Properties, clicking on the Local Files tab, and clicking the button that reads Verify Integrity of Game Cache. This will repair any missing or damaged files so you can play the game again.

Head to this thread on our forums for more information about the process. https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79134-change-in-steam-depots/

Zomba13

There was a post about this on their forums. One of the game folders get renamed, so putting it back to original fixes it in some cases. File integrity check is the other fix....

Thank you. I did a quick check on the steam forums and I found people with the same problem having to check the integrity of the files and redownload everything and assumed I had to do that. Didn't see anything about renaming the folder.

Top Bottom