• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Noaloha

I've been meaning to ask this forever- am I dumb for not being able to work out how to equip the same shield in more than one weaponswitch slot?

I am absolutely loving rogue - stacking crits is one of the most satisfying ways to play these games.

Despite having lower constitution I'm finding that I'm getting KO'ed a lot less and shredding through enemies in half the time.

Arulan

Another great portrait by Jason Seow.

http://www.jasonseow.com/poeportraits

female_godlike_moon_b_wavy_lg.png

Ala Alba

I am absolutely loving rogue - stacking crits is one of the most satisfying ways to play these games.

Despite having lower constitution I'm finding that I'm getting KO'ed a lot less and shredding through enemies in half the time.

Constitution or lack thereof doesn't really change your survivability all that much for classes with lower base endurance, because it's percentage based.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finally got around to playing this and I adore it so far. Just reached Act 2(on Hard) after 12 hours of doing all the sidequests and exploring. Big fan of the Infinity Engine games, and this fixes almost all of my gripes with those older games.

Assaulting the keep was a wonderful sidequest and
it felt so exhilerating reaching the boss by sneaking and never engaging combat with a guard. Boss fight was brutal on Hard though, ended up cheesing it a bit spreading traps everywhere at the feet of enemies before engaging which thankfully they just stand there and let me do before initiating conversation. Shame that the 'witch' in the dungeons doesn't have any unique dialogue for me after completion though. Talked my way out of combat with her initially, but she still assumes nothing changed.

Witcher 3 is so close, wish I didn't wait so long to finally dive in(installed day 1...)

Feel like they could have potentially balanced the camping supply/item stash system a bit better.

They reduce the amount of supplies you can carry the higher you go up in difficulty, but technically speaking it doesn't make the game any more challenging - just more tedious when you have to run back to the inn or stronghold to heal instead of in the field.

Playing on hard, it sucks when you run across camping supplies when you can't hold any more. I've taken to noting their location in my journal for future reference, but I feel like a better system might have been to allow you to pick up as many as you find, keep the strict maximum of kits you can take with you out into the field, and just limit stash access to inns across all difficulties so you can't just whip one out whenever you want. Basically I feel the camping system is a bit too harsh and the stash system is a bit too lenient - I wish they just balanced them against each other.

bati

Can someone please spoil the
Animancy hearings in Act 2 for me? I ran into a bug where my Crucible Knights reputation isn't recognized properly so my only option is to side with Dunryd Row (Lady Webb's faction) but going by what she says about starting from a weakened position in the hearings I'd like to know just what exactly this means.

Specifically, I'd like to know if I'm only going to deal with tougher skill checks in conversations or if I'm going to see significant shift in the story/endings as well. I'm ONLY interested in Knights vs Dunryd Row, I'm saving the other two factions for subsequent playthroughs so please don't spoil those :)

Bluth54

Animancy hearings in Act 2 for me? I ran into a bug where my Crucible Knights reputation isn't recognized properly so my only option is to side with Dunryd Row (Lady Webb's faction) but going by what she says about starting from a weakened position in the hearings I'd like to know just what exactly this means.

Specifically, I'd like to know if I'm only going to deal with tougher skill checks in conversations or if I'm going to see significant shift in the story/endings as well. I'm ONLY interested in Knights vs Dunryd Row, I'm saving the other two factions for subsequent playthroughs so please don't spoil those :)

I only did the Crucible Knights part of that but honestly I'm guessing what happens is pretty much the same no matter what faction you side with, a pretty major plot point happens during the hearings and I don't think it will happen any differently for the different factions.

Niahak

Like previous poster, I only have seen the Crucible Knights version, but
the outcome of the hearing will likely not change, you will probably have roughly the same skill checks (they were pretty tricky *with* the Crucible Knights).

I am curious on that topic what changes (in the hearings, spoilers might incidentally give away some act 2 ending stuff) whether you
make or don't make those checks. I made some but missed some - does it affect your local reputation or is it just a set of red herring checks?

Irobot82

Is there any chance Obsidian could put Grieving Mothers voice back through a filter? Her mic popping on every S syllable is driving me crazy. It begins to hurt me ears lol.

Levyne

Banned
Entered into Act 3. I have no idea how well I handled the ending of Act 2. I sided with
the Dozens
and said that
Animancy should continue to be practiced.
But the way things turn out, I'm not sure how much it all matters.

How do i beat the master below(
the adra drgon
).
He can 1 hit KO half of my party,and I can barely scratch him.

I'm on hard difficulty,at level 11.
I doubt getting to level 12 would help,since I already have all te 6 level spells.

the adra drgon
).

I doubt getting to level 12 would help,since I already have all te 6 level spells.

I'm in the exact same position. I can't even dent the thing before I die

Levyne

Banned
The Companion Quest that ends on the
Burial Isle,
is that past the point of no return? I kinda just wanna get it out of my log, haha/

Levyne

Banned
So I just finished.

I wasn't expecting that result for killing (early game boss)
Lord Raedric
. Heh, how could I have known, lol. It looks like a similar result siding with the
Dozens.
. Oh well.

I ended up doing the passive completion method for the extra dungeon. I could have probably figured out a way to win, but just kinda wanted it to be over. The final boss required a little bit of tactics, but at capped level it seems you can kinda just brute force the battle. At least on Normal mode.

I enjoyed it overall, though by the end I got in the habit of clicking through whole swaths of dialogue. Dunno if I just didn't have the patience or if I was in a hurry or what.

hemtae

So I just finished.

I wasn't expecting that result for killing (early game boss)
Lord Raedric
. Heh, how could I have known, lol. It looks like a similar result siding with the
Dozens.
. Oh well.

There's an NPC in Twin Elms that informs you of
Lord Raedric

d00d3n

Is there a cheap way to beat the 2x shade + 1x shadow encounter in Temple of Eothas? My party consists of a wizard main character (lvl3), a paid for monk tank (lvl1), aloth (lvl3) and eder (lvl3). I have tried several times to "bait" the enemies with eder and the monk to be able to fry them with magic, but the shades just summon extra shadows to kill my casters. Should I leave the area and return later?

Vaga

the adra drgon
).

He is very easy to beat but you have offer to help
transfer his soul first
before attacking you will eventually get an item that
greatly reduces dragon resistances
. After you get the item, go behind him and
quickly dispatch the 2 adragan then paralyze him with gaze of the adragan lvl 6 wizard spell, use the amulet to lower his resistances and chop at him
. A good idea is to use all the summons you might have like ogres from kana, spiders and so on.

Is there a cheap way to beat the 2x shade + 1x shadow encounter in Temple of Eothas? My party consists of a wizard main character (lvl3), a paid for monk tank (lvl1), aloth (lvl3) and eder (lvl3). I have tried several times to "bait" the enemies with eder and the monk to be able to fry them with magic, but the shades just summon extra shadows to kill my casters. Should I leave the area and return later?

Either come back with a bigger party at a higher level or try to draw their aggro one by one. Run away into the hall if need be, one usually tends to follow longer than the others.

d00d3n

Either come back with a bigger party at a higher level or try to draw their aggro one by one. Run away into the hall if need be, one usually tends to follow longer than the others.

I finally beat them with a good RNG on their teleportation locations and shadow spawns. I was able to aoe blast them with magic undisturbed. My big issue with the fight was probably that my spells were barely enough to beat them. With dead spellcasters or zero spell uses left, the tanks did not stand a chance to finish the job. Well, now it is done.

I finally beat that stupid
Adra Dragon
, technically without cheesing it. I petrified it twice somehow (does the patch prohibit her from stepping on traps?) and went to town. Then I knocked her out once with Eder and she didn't get up again so I wailed on her til she died. Guess it was a lucky glitch. The fight is garbage tho, most of the cheesing has been fixed with the patch I think so you have to beat it outright. I could definitely be wrong tho....

epmode

If they can keep the quality from those early previews, that's going to be a good watch. I'll take a look over the weekend.

Just got my first inter-party conversation between Eder and Sagani while exploring Defiance Bay...didn't know that was a thing, it's never happened before. Should it have been?

Eusis

It looks like it's the Documentary. They just made an update about it being released.

The Road to Eternity
It also must have done something about 32-bit systems crashing because I was finally able to go to the Gilded Vale, which I couldn't before.

Hollow victory though, the load times are just too long on this laptop, and it's really more of a stopgap for the time being anyway.

Bluth54

It's not exactly a surprise considering how well Pillars sold and was received, but at the end of the documentary they say that they are going to make a sequel to Pillars with the same team as the first game.

Blizzard

Banned
I just had a 1.6GB patch today, but Steam still has no patch notes at all (grumble developers grumble). Does anyone have new notes?

d00d3n

Any downside to sticking around the stronghold until you have spent your money on some good buildings? Any time sensitive quests in the game that will be affected?

How do i complete Durance's quest?

I stopped getting conversations with him after resting.
Do I have to go anywhere? The journal says nothing about that, just that "When the time is right,I'll see if there isn't any more to learn about it"

(I don't think any of the above is a spoiler)

Labadal

Do I have to go anywhere? The journal says nothing about that, just that "When the time is right,I'll see if there isn't any more to learn about it"

You can speak with him even if there is no speech bubble on his portrait. Select him, use the speech bubble above his portrait and he might talk to you. I had to complete 3-4 companion quests this way.

I watched the documentary. It was ok, a bit too much of a PR fluff piece for liking, though I suppose they never promised a Double Fine type documentary.

d00d3n

Is "time and tide" the only companion quest (requiring his/her presence) associated with Kana? Will I miss anything else (such as conversation options) if I switch him out?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

His quest is tied to resting, so make sure you do that a couple of times.

Is "time and tide" the only companion quest (requiring his/her presence) associated with Kana? Will I miss anything else (such as conversation options) if I switch him out?
Nothing big, although he does give a nonviolent resolution to
The Farmer's Plight
quest, I'm not sure if that requires his presence though. Most of his flavor text is just commenting on the academic worth of whatever you're seeing.

Also, speaking of quests, does anyone know what happens to
the girl from the Blood Legacy quest, if you tell her to go to seek shelter with the church after saving her
? I've never seen her again.

epmode

I'm watching the documentary now. Seeing Obsidian put together the live music for the first trailer with an all-employee ensemble is pretty great. They even recorded in the company lobby!

edit: Mr. Chris Avellone is almost entirely absent from this video. I wonder what he's working on.

Top Bottom