• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Varna

I still don't really get the crafting... it looks like each weapon effects has a point value.. and the total amount can't exceed 12. Makes sense. So how come I can't add accurate bonus to my fine greatsword? I see some weapons have a quality + acc bonus as well.

JC Sera

I still don't really get the crafting... it looks like each weapon effects has a point value.. and the total amount can't exceed 12. Makes sense. So how come I can't add accurate bonus to my fine greatsword? I see some weapons have a quality + acc bonus as well.
IRRC A couple of bonuses are completely exclusive to magic items, as innate bonuses, for example draining and spellstrike. With accuracy and damage bonuses, you can't add them to a fine/exceptional/superb weapon. However you can add fine/exceptional/superb to a unique weapon which has an innate accuracy bonus.

Unai

I spent an hour in the character creator, and quit lol

I think I need to read some more about what to do. Or the inicial choices are not that important?

Varna

I spent an hour in the character creator, and quit lol

I think I need to read some more about what to do. Or the inicial choices are not that important?

Character creation choices? It's all for flavor. You can easily offset any attribute bonuses. Just go with whatever you want your characters background to be.

Stevey

You can only add a certain amount of enchantments in each category, IIRC accuracy is in the same category as fine.

Niahak

Isn't "fine" the name of accuracy bonus on weapons? Or rather, the quality of the weapon reflects the amount of bonus to accuracy?

The Fine--Superb line of bonuses is like having a combination of e.g. Damaging 1 and Accuracy 1. They give you a bonus to both damage and accuracy.

You can't stack Fine and Accuracy bonuses because they're both Quality bonuses, and you can only have one of each type (Quality, Lash, Slaying). Unique weapons that have other benefits can have Quality added or upgraded, though, as long as you're not ending up with over 12 "anvils" worth of features.

Wish you could add some of the unique enchantments like Retaliation / Regeneration on armor.

Isn't "fine" the name of accuracy bonus on weapons? Or rather, the quality of the weapon reflects the amount of bonus to accuracy?
When enchanting weapons, you have 3 options to upgrade the quality aspect of it. They don't stack.
You either choose for accuracy, damaging or 'fine/exceptional/superb' is which is a superior hybrid upgrade.

Ah ok. I know how the system works, I just wasn't able to check. Off hand I just remembered that accuracy was added with the Fine to Superb Quality stuff. Thanks for the clarification though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting the impression that this stronghold thing is a whole lot of busy work with little to no payoff. Seems almost like a poor Facebook/early menu-driven mobile game.

Before I continue:

- Does it ever tie into the story at all? Any lore insight to be gained from working on the keep?
- Are there ever any good rewards from working on the keep? The only one I see so far is the inn, but fuck going through like 4+ loading screens to use it.

If the answer is "no" to these questions, then what is the point of money in this game? It seems like the keep is the primary money sink, but is there ever anything worth buying besides camping supplies?

I'm getting the impression that this stronghold thing is a whole lot of busy work with little to no payoff. Seems almost like a poor Facebook/early menu-driven mobile game.

Before I continue:

- Does it ever tie into the story at all? Any lore insight to be gained from working on the keep?
- Are there ever any good rewards from working on the keep? The only one I see so far is the inn, but fuck going through like 4+ loading screens to use it.

If the answer is "no" to these questions, then what is the point of money in this game? It seems like the keep is the primary money sink, but is there ever anything worth buying besides camping supplies?

Eh, the keep doesn't really supply you anything all that good, occasionally a merchant will come by and sell something rare, but that's about it.

There are a few weapons and items worth buying depending on what you use, but I had well over 100,000 in silver (or whatever the currency is) by the end of the game.

Stronghold seem like a tamigotchi so far in Act III. I got attacked once and figured my defenders would be able to handle it and then lost like three structures. Then I manually resolved another fight and it was trivially easy, so it's just... annoying.

Money is still useful for buying unique items at vendors. I'll drop 4-8k cp on an item if it has some unique ability.

When I come in town I sell everything I get in my trip and use the money to buy something better. I know it's wasting money, but it makes the game more fun because I never worry about the enchanting system or all the items needed for it.

When I come in town I sell everything I get in my trip and use the money to buy something better. I know it's wasting money, but it makes the game more fun because I never worry about the enchanting system or all the items needed for it.

The problem with these systems is that on the first playthrough you have no idea what the relative value of anything is because there is no understanding of resource scarcity. How many upgrades to superb can one expect ina playthrough? No idea. So you hoard, and hoard, and then finish the game with tons of stuff never getting used.

The problem with these systems is that on the first playthrough you have no idea what the relative value of anything is because there is no understanding of resource scarcity. How many upgrades to superb can one expect ina playthrough? No idea. So you hoard, and hoard, and then finish the game with tons of stuff never getting used.
Pretty much. After four pages of Xaurip shields and basic sabres I decided to just let that system go until I felt comfortable enough with the others.

Ala Alba

I finally finished the game last night. 43 hours for the finishing playthrough (136 hours total according to Steam).

Fun, but flawed, is the best way to describe my feelings on it. I'm sure I'll be back for the expansion, but until then I don't really feel any need to replay it.

Pretty much. After four pages of Xaurip shields and basic sabres I decided to just let that system go until I felt comfortable enough with the others.

I went through a few stages.

1) Hoard everything
2) Okay sell the non-Fine stuff
3) Okay sell the non-Exceptional stuff
4) Okay I have 60k cp maybe I can buy some stuff now, including crafting reagents

Similarly I've only made enough food, potions and scrolls to get the achievements. At some point I should probably focus on optimal buff builds. The annoying thing about buffs is that most have to be used in combat which strains utility of preparation since opening combat positioning is really important to not fuck up.

Didn't realise the final level was a point of no return, missed out on completing several of the companion quests and the levels of caed nua because of it. Oh well. 32 hours.

Decided to mess around with classes and maybe a bit of minmaxing. Rolled a new Cipher. Have now added a custom barbarian. I intend to have exclusively custom characters to mess about with for a while, although I doubt I'll get all that far into this second playthrough. Got Wolfenstein TOB, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight coming,plus CoH2 Alpha testing that I got accepted for.

But at any rate, what charactesr would you recommend to mess around with?

First playthrough I was wizard and had no custom chars. I rolled with the bard dude, aloth, blonde warrior, dwarf ranger person, and durance. I've picked Cipher, and now Barbarian. I'm thinking I'll add a rogue for sneak attacks I guess.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
opening combat positioning is really important to not fuck up.

It's way too important, in my opinion. Just encourages rampant abuse of F5 and F8. Can't say I'm a fan of their engagement system that just rips you a new one if you try to reposition your characters during combat.

It's way too important, in my opinion. Just encourages rampant abuse of F5 and F8. Can't say I'm a fan of their engagement system that just rips you a new one if you try to reposition your characters during combat.

The disengagement stuff I can sort of live with--it makes sense, and it causes you to make choices with tradeoffs in risk/reward. But what I can't condone is the hyper pathfinding and/or teleportation in conjunction with it. The fact that a fampyr can just run right between your ranks like it's Walter Payton shooting between the LT and LG, and then two shot your mage, is pretty lame. So you front-load all your cc so you can keep things where they should be, or minmax into summons for similar taunt behaviors, or abuse geo and flame wall, etc.

This calls back to issues of resource scarcity, but with spells. If I knew that every encounter I would have my full panoply of abilities ready I could get a lot more creative. But as it is since I don't know how much longer a given sequence of combat encounters will be, I ration my abilities.

At one point after destroying the tablets I came up out of Od Nua limping, happy I managed to clean out my last fight before heading back up. Then I got shunted into a cutscene and had to fight a bunch of cultists with a mostly dead team. Which made me have to reload and burn a campsite for one fight since I was on my way to Brighthollow. Felt bad, man.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm pretty much at the end game (right before the
pit of no return
), but I've been trying to going for as little rests as possible, so I hadn't completed Durance and Grieving Mother's quests because they're apparently tied to that mechanic. I continued with a separate save to finish them, but I had to rest about 20 times because I didn't realize Grieving Mother messed with his quest apparently? I dunno, but I can say that I've now finished every quest (or at least, all of the ones listed by the strategy guide I think).

But Eder is probably the best character. He jokes about it, but he's all worried and shit about you not sleeping. Mommy, can I keep him?

Burt

Didn't realise the final level was a point of no return, missed out on completing several of the companion quests and the levels of caed nua because of it. Oh well. 32 hours.

Decided to mess around with classes and maybe a bit of minmaxing. Rolled a new Cipher. Have now added a custom barbarian. I intend to have exclusively custom characters to mess about with for a while, although I doubt I'll get all that far into this second playthrough. Got Wolfenstein TOB, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight coming,plus CoH2 Alpha testing that I got accepted for.

First playthrough I was wizard and had no custom chars. I rolled with the bard dude, aloth, blonde warrior, dwarf ranger person, and durance. I've picked Cipher, and now Barbarian. I'm thinking I'll add a rogue for sneak attacks I guess.

Same thing happened with me. Apparently you get an autosave in a new slot beforehand that says "POINT OF NO RETURN SAVE" on it, but my overzealous saving habits caused me to save over it before I even hit the end. Sucks, but whatever.

As for custom characters, I've heard fun things about rogues and pistols. I started a PotD run with custom characters and having two priests in my group, one melee and one caster, helped a ton, although the melee was squishy early on. I also have a melee wizard in the party that's really great with the right buffs, but had a rough first act and a half.

First priority for you, though? Druid. You are sorely lacking the unrivaled awesomeness and versatility of a druid.

Mulgrok

It creates a save at the point of no return, so you could always load that up and do unfinished business.

42 hours in and I'm not even done with Act II. Really surprised at how I went from not really giving these types of games two looks to loving it.

Grieving Mother is the best. Hiravias is the worst. Eder can be my pal. Durance can be that crazy drunk guy yelling in the corner at parties.

Didn't realise the final level was a point of no return, missed out on completing several of the companion quests and the levels of caed nua because of it. Oh well.
Same here. What's frustrating is that I'm only 500 exp. points away from reaching lvl 12, which probably would have given me the edge in the final fight.

I tried 3 times yesterday and will probably have to spend some time finetuning my gear before I beat T.

Is there a way to get a little bit more exp. points by doing something in the last dungeon?

M°°nblade;162027892 said:
Same here. What's frustrating is that I'm only 500 exp. points away from reaching lvl 12, which probably would have given me the edge in the final fight.

I tried 3 times yesterday and will probably have to spend some time finetuning my gear before I beat T.

Is there a way to get a little bit more exp. points by doing something in the last dungeon?

I dunno but on Normal at least I rolled it with like level 10 chars, I think.

Zukuu

Banned
Really disappointed with the intimidation options. So far it's ALWAYS over the top. There is no subtlety like staring someone down, flexing, showing weapons/gear, threaten etc. Cruel options are also always very extreme.

Mephala

I'm getting decimated by the A
dra Dragon

i can't do anything other than kite it but even then it is extremely risky. All my characters dies in 1-2 hits. I've been kiting it forever but it seems like I'm constantly missing my shots and then sometimes grazing. My hits do very little and my spells aren't doing much either. :\

wolfhowwl

Banned
I'm getting decimated by the A
dra Dragon

i can't do anything other than kite it but even then it is extremely risky. All my characters dies in 1-2 hits. I've been kiting it forever but it seems like I'm constantly missing my shots and then sometimes grazing. My hits do very little and my spells aren't doing much either. :\

Petrify

Burt

Petrify

Or, for alternative ridiculous cheese put movement speed +3 boots on someone with a bow and keep trying until you get an attempt where the AOE takes out most of the adds (and likely the rest of your team). Then just kite kite kite. The boss literally can't do anything if it doesn't have someone in melee range and doesn't move fast enough to catch up to MS+3.

Only takes about 15-20 minutes of plinking 2-3 damage one out of every 4 or so shots against its defenses before it goes down.

Or, for alternative ridiculous cheese put movement speed +3 boots on someone with a bow and keep trying until you get an attempt where the AOE takes out most of the adds (and likely the rest of your team). Then just kite kite kite. The boss literally can't do anything if it doesn't have someone in melee range and doesn't move fast enough to catch up to MS+3.

Only takes about 15-20 minutes of plinking 2-3 damage one out of every 4 or so shots against its defenses before it goes down.

I did this to a troll when I was first starting the game. My wolf would run circles around him while my ranger would just keep firing shots. That's when I realized I needed party members.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I beat the game last night.

Positives:
- I couldn't put it down at times.
- The descriptive writing. This is my first CRPG, so it was kind of neat to see things described instead of just dialogue.
- Eder
- I liked most of the companions, now that I think about it.
- In quests, you could avoid fighting sometimes.

Negatives:
- Combat was kind of boring, but I also made it more boring by continually feeling the need to conserve my higher tiered spells so that I didn't have to rest.
- Story wasn't that great.
- The items you found in dungeons and stuff were almost always worthless.
- Fog of war was neat at first, but then it got to be kind of a pain in the butt.
- Character quests were pretty disappointing.
- Caed Nua was pointless.
- Traversing the world wasn't much fun.

I dunno, listing it out like this, I can think of many more negatives than positives, but I did enjoy it? I was feeling a little burned out on the combat and questing by the end though (I did every single one). Honestly I didn't give a shit about the story past Act I, and sometimes the writing was too sentimental? Or overdone? I mean, I think they could've cut back on some of the metaphors at least.

I think I'll take a break from it before trying to plan out a triple crown solo run. I also murdered 1200 things, but it never registered? I guess I'll have to try again from a previous save.

squadr0n

Any idea when the Documentary will be released for Pillars? I got everything else that came with the pack accept the Documentary since it was pushed back to document the release. Have they said anything new about it? Really want to see what they had to go through and the ups and downs in development.

These Documentaries are by for my favorite collectors/preorder item.

Almighty

So I just realized it has been a month and I still haven't received my physical copy. Has anyone who backed for just the standard edition received theirs yet?

I dunno but on Normal at least I rolled it with like level 10 chars, I think.
With summons? The AoE boss attacks and interrupts are pretty cheap imo. So I returned the cheapness and casted Gaze of the Adragan.

I'm going to make an adventurer party next.

Any recommendations for ranged physical damage dealer class?
I read that rangers are underpowered and pets aren't that great. Rogues seem interesting as well. Fighter skills seem more melee orientated.
I looked at my party member stats and Grieving mother did 30% more damage (total damage 31000) than my other ranged character classes (chanter, wizard, priest around 20000 total damage) while she joined the party last.
Based on the weapon damage output, I don't see why. Is this the work of passive cipher abilities? Because I didn't micromanage her that much to cast spells.

Mephala

Well... I'm a fair ways off it seems. Don't even have level 5 spells yet. :\
I guess I can come back. I pretty much struggled through all of the last few levels. Had to repeat a lot of the fights. Get a bit lucky with positioning and come back with more camp supplies. >.>

M°°nblade;162166522 said:
6th level Wizard spell Gaze of the Adragan. It's the only thing that justifies a wizard in my party.

Basically it's what Yojimbo was in FFX.

Yeah, that and Expose Vulnerabilities make most tough fights into a cakewalk. The final boss never even got off a single hit on my party thanks to these guys.

Sijil

I'm still in chapter 1, Raedric's Hold, I chose to role play as a cipher and even on hard difficulty so far I can cheese most combat situations with the mental binding ability. I love it when that happens. I can freeze half a mob then let Aloth role a flaming boulder at them.

Zukuu

Banned
Why is enchanting still broken? 7/12 anvils and it's not possible to replace exceptional with superb... Or replace of might 1 with of might 2. Any manual fix or mod?

Top Bottom