• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilot lands Airbus at Ataturk airport 'blind' after hailstones shatter windscreen

THE:MILKMAN

Hail no.......Congrats to that crew. Saved over a hundred lives right there.

The damage to the nose cone makes me wonder how it didn't break the plane apart?

RS4-

I've been in hailstorms like that, nothing to describe it.

Just haven't been in one while in a plane.

Chris R

Reminds me of the British Airways #9 Air Disaster episode where volcanic ash basically sandblasted the front windows (and caused all four engines to shut off temporarily)

KHarvey16

Hail no.......Congrats to that crew. Saved over a hundred lives right there.

The damage to the nose cone makes me wonder how it didn't break the plane apart?

Nose cones on airliners are usually some kind of composite since the weather radar sits behind them. There's a big bulkhead behind all that so fortunately no real danger of big structural damage.

TyrantII

Most commercial planes land themselves now a days. Still scary because of the damage to the cabin and plane, but they don't need visibility to land now a days.

Most commercial planes land themselves now a days. Still scary because of the damage to the cabin and plane, but they don't need visibility to land now a days.

Yeah but auto pilot was knocked out

they had to do a semi visual and instrument landing which requires skill and good teamwork/communication with copilot and tower

this is an impressive landing even if its the expectation of professional pilots

THE:MILKMAN

Nose cones on airliners are usually some kind of composite since the weather radar sits behind them. There's a big bulkhead behind all that so fortunately no real danger of big structural damage.

Good to know. I'm surprised this sort of damage doesn't happen daily/weekly somewhere in the world given the amount of planes/flights or maybe it does and most don't make headline news.

kewlmyc

Dude is a hero. Holy shit, that's amazing.

Didn't they say autopilot was damaged and couldn't turn on?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
<what a baby, airbuses land themselves, cracked windshield big woop>

<sees picture>

HELP ME JESUS I AM SORRY FOR everything

Some pilots barely needed it back in the day. Lindberg judged his landing by looking out the side window.

FfblFsP.jpghttp:

do they usually have hail like that in istanbul???? wikipedia says the average august high temp is like 80 degrees!

Hail is a summer thing when thunderstorms are more common. Warm-air updrafts send raindrops higher into the atmosphere where it freezes into balls. In the winter water vapor freezes at lower altitudes into sleet or snow.

A plane such as the A320 can land and switch directions automatically. They also have gps and radar to help. I don't think any experienced pilot will struggle with landing a modern aircraft with no visiblity. Just think of extreme cases of fog.

MCN

Banned
A plane such as the A320 can land and switch directions automatically. They also have gps and radar to help. I don't think any experienced pilot will struggle with landing a modern aircraft with no visiblity. Just think of extreme cases of fog.

It gets more difficult when the autopilot is fucked. Try reading the thread instead of steaming on in with your "pfft, easy" shitty hot take. You're not impressing anyone.

CREMSteve

I fly daily and if there is extreme low fog, planes don't land, they redirect to another airport/city.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Holy shit. Like a fucking boss.

I'm guessing that's an instrument-only landing, then?

And that Twitter video is insane.

CSJ

Only if the airport supports it and the weather allows.
Oh also if the equipment isn't shredded.

Thread title should probably clarify the automated flying systems were also disabled/destroyed so we have less uninformed drive by hot takes.

KHarvey16

Good to know. I'm surprised this sort of damage doesn't happen daily/weekly somewhere in the world given the amount of planes/flights or maybe it does and most don't make headline news.

The latter, definitely. It's not exactly common but happens often enough it's never reported unless there are additional reasons to like here.

Thread title should probably clarify the automated flying systems were also disabled/destroyed so we have less uninformed drive by hot takes.

It's hard to say for sure really, there's not enough information. The articles I've read say autopilot, but that's different from autoland and ILS. Do they literally mean autopilot or do they mean autoland and ILS and thought autopilot covered it? I can see the damaged windows and loss of autopilot leading to the emergency landing in the first place and then the other automated functions working just fine.

Acidote

Looks like Mr. Akopov had a serving of Medicinal Fried Chicken before the flight, hence his attributes.

Top Bottom