• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilot lands Airbus at Ataturk airport 'blind' after hailstones shatter windscreen

Biske

I would hope at this point, flying an airplane, the least important part is looking through the front window.

What with all the instruments and such.

aeroslash

The articles I've read say autopilot, but that's different from autoland and ILS. Do they literally mean autopilot or do they mean autoland and ILS and thought autopilot covered it? I can see the damaged windows and loss of autopilot leading to the emergency landing in the first place and then the other automated functions working just fine.

Autoland NEEDS autopilot to be active.

Some points: autolands are only made when it is needed (LOW visibility weather).
The final phase of Landings is always made visually (except when autoland). Even with all the instruments, you have to be visual with the runway at a height of 200ft approx.

Hail like this happens a lot of times all over the world. And most of the time, instead of the captain being a hero, in those casea they are completly unprofessional. Hail like this, draws a huge Magenta colour in the weather radar, and that's forbidden to flight into as per Airbus manuals.

overcast

After this and the terrorist plot stopped in London it seems that the world's conspiring against me to make me as terrified as possible before getting on a plane tomorrow. That's fucking horrific, glad everyone got out OK.
Same here. Going on 4 different planes tomorrow.

Bollocks

yeah-science-300x225.jpg

I mean autopilot

Plum

Gintamen

Jesus, I thought the hail cracked the windows which injured his eyes. Not that the cracked windshield made it impossible to see blind.

Still impressive.
You don't really think they would have survived an egg sized hails storm in their face at 1000km/h...

Top Bottom