• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

dkeane

Got this and Street Fighter at launch and this hasn't left my 3DS.
Slowly making progress on the challenges but I've been addicted to the free flight.
Sort of sad that I've only got a couple things left to find.

9h30 on the clock and I've just finished Free Flight. Quite sad that I can't press a button and randomise them all so I can do it all over again.

Now onto Red Star completion.

Maybe I'm just awful at this game but is anyone else finding it genuinely hard to perfect some of these missions, even early on?

KaYotiX

Banned
metsallica said:
Maybe I'm just awful at this game but is anyone else finding it genuinely hard to perfect some of these missions, even early on?
Some are pretty hard. I've only perfected missions through silver so far. Really like the game though :)

zeioIIDX

Phife Dawg said:
Early on is OK, but screw the later missions.
Oddly enough, I found it hard to perfect some early missions but I somehow got red stars on most of the Gold and Platinum missions on my first and second try. Also, looking at my total play time for this game, I've clocked 4.5 hours in Free Flight mode (collected everything) and 3.5 hours in Mission Flight mode for a total of 8 hours. Not bad considering I initially thought I'd only get a couple hours out of the game based on early reviews. I love that it gives you the option to watch the credits again too!

metsallica said:
The game is great, and I appreciate you two being kind about my lack of skills!
Are you trying to get perfects on everything before you move on? Because that sounds like an exercise in frustration.

Neiteio

So addicted to this game. I really, really want to see another long-dormant Nintendo franchise brought back to life now. Looking forward to Kid Icarus Uprising for exactly this reason.

But man, PWR is so perfect. Wuhu never felt boring to me; the missions never felt repetitive. And the game has more than enough content as far as I'm concerned. Everything just comes together like well-oiled clockwork.

Now I'm conflicted over what I want Monster Games to do next. Part of me wants them to revive another Nintendo IP, like Wave Race.

The other part of me wants another Pilotwings. Call it Pilotwings World, and set it on the Little Nations: essentially a revamped Little States from PW64, plus Little Mexico, Little Canada, Little England, Little France, Little Germany, Little China, Little Japan, Little Australia, etc, etc.

Hang-glide past the Eiffel Tower, then take a thermal to the Great Pyramids. Soar in the turbo jet from a Lincoln Memorial featuring a random Mii in place of Abe, then rocket past the St. Louis Arch and Golden Gate Bridge to the pagodas of Japan.

But at the same time... Seeing Pilotwings back after 15 years feels so good I want to see another Nintendo IP revived. Monster Games made Pilotwings relevant again. They could do the same for other franchises, too.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall of Iwata's office.

jgkspsx

My last two gold rings: between the two thermals near the temple area and way up on the volcano also near the thermal area. I swear I hit those areas again and again. I only saw one for the first time at night, the other in evening (when the golden sunlight and those silver rings combine to form evil false hope).

The last two Mii Trophies were in town. Duh. One was tucked inside the courtyard of a triangular building near the fencing arena, one was under a walkway in the same area.

So... two more platinum missions and then on to Diamond. Y'all must have better eyes than me, because I'm up to about 9.5 hours of flight time.

This hasn't left the 3DS for more than a few hours. I'm really excited for whatever Monster does next.

Neuromancer said:
Are you trying to get perfects on everything before you move on? Because that sounds like an exercise in frustration.
I am, yeah. So far it hasn't bothered me, but I'm only halfway through Silver. It's actually been fun to see how many I can do during each morning commute.

grkazan12

lawblob said:
The thermal next to the volcano will get you to that height.
I know but do I pull back or pull down.do I need speed before going into the thermal by the volcano.highest I got was 1470.

Boney said:
why isn't this game wave race though :(
I'm hoping that (and 1080 Snowboarding) comes later. Three legs of the tripod, baby!

Definitely want someone to take another crack at Pilotwings though, whether it's Monster or someone else. 15 years is too long to wait for a sequel.

Boney

Banned
grkazan12 said:
I know but do I pull back or pull down.do I need speed before going into the thermal by the volcano.highest I got was 1470.
you gotta go real fast and then pull up, what I actually do is that that wind thingy, go to like 1470 and then do a u turn and take it up again. It's kinda tricky to do it though.

Neiteio

I loved this game and PW64 so much that now I'm thinking about trying the original on the Virtual Console. I know it would be a whole different beast, being 2D/16-bit/Mode 7 and all, but man... Pilotwings is just so great.

I'm sorry, I'm so in love with this game/series right now. <3 <3

jgkspsx

Neiteio said:
I loved this game and PW64 so much that now I'm thinking about trying the original on the Virtual Console. I know it would be a whole different beast, being 2D/16-bit/Mode 7 and all, but man... Pilotwings is just so great.
Pilotwings is great, but I'm afraid 3D has finally ruined it for me forever. Except for the bizarre use of sprites for balloons, this feels like as much a step beyond 64 as that was past the original in terms of precision and a sense of location.

zeioIIDX said:
Oddly enough, I found it hard to perfect some early missions but I somehow got red stars on most of the Gold and Platinum missions on my first and second try. Also, looking at my total play time for this game, I've clocked 4.5 hours in Free Flight mode (collected everything) and 3.5 hours in Mission Flight mode for a total of 8 hours. Not bad considering I initially thought I'd only get a couple hours out of the game based on early reviews. I love that it gives you the option to watch the credits again too!
I can't even get 3 stars in the flashing balloon pop mission :(.

metsallica said:
I am, yeah. So far it hasn't bothered me, but I'm only halfway through Silver. It's actually been fun to see how many I can do during each morning commute.
Revisiting is the better idea imo. When you're playing through you automatically hone your skills - making it esier to hit 3 stars when you revisit.

Neiteio said:
The other part of me wants another Pilotwings. Call it Pilotwings World, and set it on the Little Nations: essentially a revamped Little States from PW64, plus Little Mexico, Little Canada, Little England, Little France, Little Germany, Little China, Little Japan, Little Australia, etc, etc.

Hang-glide past the Eiffel Tower, then take a thermal to the Great Pyramids. Soar in the turbo jet from a Lincoln Memorial featuring a random Mii in place of Abe, then rocket past the St. Louis Arch and Golden Gate Bridge to the pagodas of Japan.
Yes please, all of this plus social features like play coin usage, friends interaction and online play.

I finished free flight yesterday and my last two hang glider White balloons were in tunnels! Sneaky. Found them as semi-transparent balloons with the rocket pack and then went back on the rasta bike.

Now the long haul through the red stars. Plane landing is my Achilles heel. :/

Thanks GAF, as it has already been said a thousand times I picked this up due to the love for it in this thread! After playing it for two hours I can't get enough, it has the challenge along with beautiful graphics, very impressed!
Plus my friends all have experienced it and the subtle 3D has blown their minds, a lot more I think than 'in yo' face' 3D films etc as the game uses the 3D to it's advantage and not as a gimmick.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Neiteio said:
Now I'm conflicted over what I want Monster Games to do next. Part of me wants them to revive another Nintendo IP, like Wave Race.

A 3DS Wave Race by Monster Games would be glorious. I can see it happening TBH.

Murrah

Banned
Ugh, only missing two gold rings for Free Flight completion and I've been flying around fruitlessly for the past hour and a half. Any tips on easily missed hang glider/pedal glider locations?

Here's to you, my first ever 3D game!
3 starred all missions from Bronze to Platinum and found all locations, balloons, mii's, rings, etc in Free Flight.
The only thing that gnaws at me is the fact I haven't 3 starred all of Diamond. The final two are left at a paltry two stars but aiming for 3 was leading to too much frustration so I bow out now. I'll be back to take some cool pics of the whale but I now consider the game finished. It's gonna be a long wait until Zelda :(

Oh yeah, are there any other unique things to photograph other than the whale and fireworks display?

Murrah said:
Ugh, only missing two gold rings for Free Flight completion and I've been flying around fruitlessly for the past hour and a half. Any tips on easily missed hang glider/pedal glider locations?
The only odd ones I can think of: on the side of the volcano, in nooks and crannies around pretty much every island no matter their size, and up in the air between thermals. Good luck!

Milpool

The only thing I'm missing now is 1 hang glider ring, I wish they chose a better colour to represent ones you've already found. Can they all be found at any time or only certain times of day?

Murrah said:
There is a ring in a very strange location, just south of the tip of Wedge Island and to the east, out over the water.

photo1qlk.jpg

Other than that, what Gingerbeard said.

SexyNerd said:
I'm missing one stunt ring and I've already combed over the golf course and the smaller outlying islands.

Any suggestions?
Check all the caves and tunnels. I think there are a few well hidden ones.

Murrah

Banned
Neuromancer said:
There is a ring in a very strange location, just south of the tip of Wedge Island and to the east, out over the water.

photo1qlk.jpg

Yep, this was the last one I found, haha. Other one was right over the water at the edge of the deserted island; thanks errbody

gameboya

What an awesome game.. and I have a LOT left to finish..

Next game MUST be a sequel to Excite Trucks/Bots. One of my all time FAVORITE games on the Wii.. The 3DS begs for TOO EXCITE!!! GIVE IT TO ME MONSTER!! It really couldn't be THAT hard of a port considering High Voltage already has freaking CONDUIT 2 running on the 3DS!!!

giggas

Neuromancer said:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8968/photo1qlk.jpg

Nice, I don't think I have that one. After that I'll only need to hunt down 2 more. I think I need about 3 - 5 of the other items as well. These last few things are really hard to find. Finding all the balloons and Locations was really satisfying though.

Surprised how much I like Free Flight mode. I've now spent more time in there than Mission mode.

Peru

I think Blue Storm moved the gameplay in the right direction, making the core mechanics a tad deeper. Very satisfying racing, but the levels / presentation / modes weren't as tasty as WR64. But yes, seeing the sun reflected in the ocean and the tropical paradise around me in Pilotwings I think these guys could get a shot at doing the series justice.

Neiteio

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Here's to you, my first ever 3D game!
3 starred all missions from Bronze to Platinum and found all locations, balloons, mii's, rings, etc in Free Flight.
The only thing that gnaws at me is the fact I haven't 3 starred all of Diamond. The final two are left at a paltry two stars but aiming for 3 was leading to too much frustration so I bow out now. I'll be back to take some cool pics of the whale but I now consider the game finished. It's gonna be a long wait until Zelda :(

Oh yeah, are there any other unique things to photograph other than the whale and fireworks display?
Noooooo, keep going! When you three-star the Diamond missions, something a LOT bigger than a whale starts wandering around Wedge Island. And you get a badass trophy of the "creature" as well. Trust me, keep at it!

Invisible Man

aka SexyNerd
Neuromancer said:
Check all the caves and tunnels. I think there are a few well hidden ones.

Found it! But, it was behind the deserted island. Now all that's left is 3 balloons and 3 gold rings and I'll be finished with free flight.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Man.. can't wait to get stuck through this later today. So many fond memories of the two previous Pilotwings games.

Do they have a mode similar to the Birdman in Pilotwings 64?

So, since Pilotwings isn't released yet in Japan and the reviews still kinda leave me clueless, I have one question tho:

I played Pilotiwings on the SNES and N64 and my goal was always not only to beat the game but to achieve 100% (points, medals etc.) for each mission, which really kept me playing them for quite some weeks. How much of that will I get from Pilotwings Resort? I really want it to be hard when I try to achieve a perfect score etc., but I'm still not sure what the game offers for people like me. Hope someone can bring some light into this for me. Thanks in advance!

Mailenstein said:
So, since Pilotwings isn't released yet in Japan and the reviews still kinda leave me clueless, I have one question tho:

I played Pilotiwings on the SNES and N64 and my goal was always not only to beat the game but to achieve 100% (points, medals etc.) for each mission, which really kept me playing them for quite some weeks. How much of that will I get from Pilotwings Resort? I really want it to be hard when I try to achieve a perfect score etc., but I'm still not sure what the game offers for people like me. Hope someone can bring some light into this for me. Thanks in advance!
Getting a perfect score on every level is difficult and very time consuming, so it'll be right up your alley.

Added a couple more hours into the game. Lease favorite vehicle is by far the Pedal Glider. Feels unwieldy and pedaling sometimes doesn't really cause acceleration.

Last two Diamond missions are two-stars. Can definitely three-star them in the future. Perfection seems less likely.

Meanwhile, Free Flight is running low of collectables, but what can I say? It is fun to fly around regardless. I think if it had no time limit, it'd be done much faster. Does the whale have an info dot, by the way? I'm missing only a few, and I think it might be one of em.

I think Pilotwings Resort is a game perfectly fit for handhelds. Pick it up, play a mission or two, or go fly around the island in a Rocket Belt. Close the system and move on with life. Very smooth in that regard.

thomaser

One balloon yet in free flight, and it's for the rocket belt. Strange, since that's the one I have spent the most time on. Tips for extremely well hidden rocket balloons, anyone?

Neiteio

Mailenstein said:

This game is perfect for someone like you. There are 42 missions, which get increasingly difficult, but the controls and mechanics are pitch-perfect, so it's never unfair. Your skills make or break each course. You'll have to be surgically precise to not only three-star each course, but to get PERFECT (three stars outlined in red), and even then, you can get "more than perfect" by getting the maximum score and completing the mission faster, which adds bonus points to your perfect score (which fills the score in with gold lettering on the charts). This game reaches F-Zero levels of hardcore in terms of requiring pinpoint handling, nerves of steel, a laser focus and a zen-like flow to pull off perfects, especially in the latter 20 some missions. It's great.

And getting at least three stars on all 42 courses unlocks a great cameo appearance by a memorable character from PW64, who then appears in Free Flight for you to check out (and photograph) as you please. There are also six vehicles, all fantastic (and don't let the people harping on the pedal glider fool you; it's like a hang glider but it can turn faster since you can pedal to accelerate, in addition to diving like the hang glider). Plus, there's one standout mission with a one-time "seventh" vehicle that is a revelatory moment for the game, like donning the Wing Cap in Mario 64 for the first time. And if you love exploring, there are literally HUNDREDS of collectibles -- info rings, white balloons, stunt rings, Mii trophies, gold rings, etc, many cleverly hidden around Wuhu and surrounding islands -- which unlock different times of day and nine of the 10 dioramas, the last one unlocked when you three-star every mission.

There's a lot to sink your teeth into here, especially if you go in with the arcade conqueror mentality of mastering each mission to Perfect status and beyond.

darkpaladinmfc said:
Getting a perfect score on every level is difficult and very time consuming, so it'll be right up your alley.
Neiteio said:
This game is perfect for someone like you. There are 42 missions, which get increasingly difficult, but the controls and mechanics are pitch-perfect, so it's never unfair. Your skills make or break each course. You'll have to be surgically precise to not only three-star each course, but to get PERFECT (three stars outlined in red), and even then, you can get "more than perfect" by getting the maximum score and completing the mission faster, which adds bonus points to your perfect score (which fills the score in with gold lettering on the charts). This game reaches F-Zero levels of hardcore in terms of requiring pinpoint handling, nerves of steel, a laser focus and a zen-like flow to pull off perfects, especially in the latter 20 some missions. It's great.

And getting at least three stars on all 42 courses unlocks a great cameo appearance by a memorable character from PW64, who then appears in Free Flight for you to check out (and photograph) as you please. There are also six vehicles, all fantastic (and don't let the people harping on the pedal glider fool you; it's like a hang glider but it can turn faster since you can pedal to accelerate, in addition to diving like the hang glider). Plus, there's one standout mission with a one-time "seventh" vehicle that is a revelatory moment for the game, like donning the Wing Cap in Mario 64 for the first time. And if you love exploring, there are literally HUNDREDS of collectibles -- info rings, white balloons, stunt rings, Mii trophies, gold rings, etc, many cleverly hidden around Wuhu and surrounding islands -- which unlock different times of day and nine of the 10 dioramas, the last one unlocked when you three-star every mission.

There's a lot to sink your teeth into here, especially if you go in with the arcade conqueror mentality of mastering each mission to Perfect status and beyond.
Thank you guys!
I was REALLY worrying that the game would be too easy overall, but I'm glad to hear it's not. I'm actually surprised to hear it's on a F-Zero level difficulty wise if I go for perfect, which is awesome to me. And I love collecting, exploring stuff in games and especially maxing out everything highscore wise. Funny enough, I'm not that much into trophies and achievements at all on the other hand lol.
Once again, thanks a bunch! Will buy definitely :).

Jeels

Just unlocked my first diorama. Woah! Best showcase of popout 3D on the system. Everyone I've shown the dioramas to have become believers.

jgkspsx

I love the game. I really do. But F-Zero difficult? Not if you mean F-Zero GX it isn't. Perfecting the platinum missions doesn't hold a candle to the frustration of even the fourth and fifth levels of GX's story mode.

Murrah

Banned
jgkspsx said:
I love the game. I really do. But F-Zero difficult? Not if you mean F-Zero GX it isn't. Perfecting the platinum missions doesn't hold a candle to the frustration of even the fourth and fifth levels of GX's story mode.
Yeah, this. Getting perfects on the later stages has definitely been one of the greater gaming challenges I've done in the past couple years, but it's not quite at F-Zero GX levels of controller biting bitter resentment towards humanity and your own inadequacies. Regardless, if you're a fan of Pilotwings it's a must play

Top Bottom