• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

Trike

Neuromancer said:
From what I understand, not much. Just the ability to use the super vehicle variants in the normal missions. I don't see the point.

..seriously? Even with all the free flight mode stuff completed? wow.

jgkspsx

Trike said:
I had the hardest time with Mii trophies, which was surprising to me. Did you get the waterfall entrance? Or, near the waterfall entrance there is another way. You can get a location (I think a grotto or something?) and a Mii Trophy I think. I know there are white balloons. That ended up being the last location I needed.

Oh, also check the beach area. The one near the town? There are tons of Mii Trophies there. The more obvious ones were the ones that I had trouble finding.
Neuromancer said:
Check Wedge Island thoroughly for Mii's, there are a bunch of them out there that are easy to miss amongst the trees.
Wedge Island has been picked clean. I think I cleaned the beach by town, too, since I knew that was a blind spot from my balloon hunting.

Guess I'll just have to fly more ;)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This is probably the most disappointing game out of the three I've bought.
With RR3D I knew what I was getting into, lower expectations and whatnot, but in the end it was a pretty cool surprise for a RR fan like myself, SSFIV is a great game although I have to admit it's the only one where I'm bummed out by the "tiny" screen, where with the others it's perfectly fine. And then there's this game.
PW's gameplay is very good but I never expected it not to be, Monster Games has pulled a great job with this 3DS rendition, so the fact that is lacking in content bugs me even worse (it doesn't help that I already explored almost every inch of Wuhu Island in Wii Sports Resort).
What I was NOT expecting, especially not with such simple graphics, was the performance to be so shitty.
In 3D there are moments were the framerate gets in the lower 10s, seriously what the fuck Nintendo. Pilotwings should always be about the smoothness of flying, the 3D effect is deliciously cute (I can handle it fine up to 30% slider which gives it a nice balance imo) and it gives you that satisfying feeling that it's helping you on pulling off those dives into the rings, but man there's no reason this game has to stutter this much in 3D mode.

shawnlreed

Anyone else notice the hillside house on Wuhu Island that has its lights on at night?
If you are near it, you can hear the sound of Mario dying in Super Mario Bros, and some text appears at the top of the screen "Sounds like someones playing their NES, and could use some pointers"

Pretty fun game so far. Great tech showcase (which is what I wanted) and looks like a fun casual game.

One thing i hate is that the landmarks in free play mode don't save. How am I supposed to find 75 in 90 seconds?

canadian crowe said:
Pretty fun game so far. Great tech showcase (which is what I wanted) and looks like a fun casual game.

One thing i hate is that the landmarks in free play mode don't save. How am I supposed to find 75 in 90 seconds?

They have a Check Mark in them if you've already visited them.

jgkspsx

canadian crowe said:
I just noticed that they were green again, but I did hit replay level so maybe I had to exit out.
They're always green, but they have a checkmark if you already got them. They go grey after you collect them for the duration of that flight only.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Pilotwings Resort has to be the most simultaneously relaxing yet rage-inducing game I own. Fun and relaxing to fly around, but trying to 3-star some of these levels is just bullshit.

low-G

Dash Kappei said:
What I was NOT expecting, especially not with such simple graphics, was the performance to be so shitty.
In 3D there are moments were the framerate gets in the lower 10s, seriously what the fuck Nintendo.

I never experienced anything remotely like that in my play with the game. It's always been very near 30, if not solid 30fps all the time.

Something wrong with your 3DS or game cart or something?

Cranzor

Interactive Fiction said:
Anyone else notice the hillside house on Wuhu Island that has its lights on at night?
If you are near it, you can hear the sound of Mario dying in Super Mario Bros, and some text appears at the top of the screen "Sounds like someones playing their NES, and could use some pointers"

Just went to try this. As someone who loves easter eggs, that's very cool! Nice find.

FFFfffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Missing 1 Balloon in both the jet pack and glider, 1 Mii trophy, and 2 gold rings.

DRIVING ME CRAZY 4 AND A HALF MINUTES AT A TIME!!!!!!!!

This game is awesome. It really shows off the 3D is a subtle and tasteful manner. No massive in your face 3D effects. It really proves that the 3D is a pretty great technological step for games. Somebody said in one of the 3DS threads that the experience was like going from last gen to current gen for him, and I agree. Purchase validated, thanks Pilotwings!

Nobiru said:

Missing 1 Balloon in both the jet pack and glider, 1 Mii trophy, and 2 gold rings.

Haha, I know it sucks!

It's also bullshit that free flight doesn't have unlimited time to free roam. Unless it's some secret unlock, but I doubt it. So weak Nintendo, so weak.

Nobiru said:

well, forget all that anger! Switched to night time, since someone recommended it somewhere, and got everything I needed pretty quick, haha.

Yay done!

Now on to Shadow Wars.

jarosh

Dash Kappei said:
In 3D there are moments were the framerate gets in the lower 10s, seriously what the fuck Nintendo. Pilotwings should always be about the smoothness of flying, the 3D effect is deliciously cute (I can handle it fine up to 30% slider which gives it a nice balance imo) and it gives you that satisfying feeling that it's helping you on pulling off those dives into the rings, but man there's no reason this game has to stutter this much in 3D mode.
i am seriously wondering if there isn't someting wrong with your system. i'm very sensitive to framerate problems and i've reported all of rayman 3d's framerate drops in its official thread. but i honestly can't remember experiencing a single hitch in pw's framerate. it runs at a constant, buttery smooth 30 fps for me.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
jarosh said:
i am seriously wondering if there isn't someting wrong with your system. i'm very sensitive to framerate problems and i've reported all of rayman 3d's framerate drops in its official thread. but i honestly can't remember experiencing a single hitch in pw's framerate. it runs at a constant, buttery smooth 30 fps for me.
Stable framerate for me too.

jarosh said:
It has very slight drops here and there but never in the 10s. I am also super sensitive to framerate issues fwiw.

Izayoi

Banned
jarosh said:
Same here. Never noticed a single drop.

I did notice some in the demo version at BestBuy but it has been rock solid on my retail cart.

besiktas1

Bronze cup last mission (6), I can't seem to land that fucking glyder. No matter what I do I always get -5 I swear I'm landing perfectly!

LayLa

was slightly disappointed initially, but this game really has grown on me. about 6 hours in, probably another 2 hours or so to go.
my only complaint is with the colour of the handglider rings - they turn from gold to silver, but from a distance its hard to tell.
e.g. oh look, a ring i haven't been through! *gets closer* bah its a silver one, now i've wasted all that time getting here and now i need to find a thermal to get some height again grrrrr

Barrett2

I think I've had framerate drops, maybe.... though I might just be confusing it with another game.

I'm really enjoying the free flight mode. Played that for about two hours last night. There is so much to collect, it's gonna take me a while to grab everything.

Milpool

I've noticed a few frame-rate drops, usually when I turn around quickly using the jet pack, nothing major though.

Took me about 2-3 hours to 3 star everything, and I just red starred all missions which took 8 hours and lots of swearing. Now on to the free flight mode...

Man, this game is so awesome. I'm 9 hours in and have still yet to complete it! I've been trying to perfect every mission; plus, I've just finished getting all the currently available collectibles in free-flight mode. This game is very fun! Getting perfects is no easy task either! Landing perfectly is pretty difficult. I love it! Right now I'm on silver class and only have 4/9 perfects there.

GC|Simon

So.... how to get three stars in the following two missions: Pedal glider on Gold, UFOs on Gold. No freakin' way to achieve three stars...

Matll

GC|Simon said:
So.... how to get three stars in the following two missions: Pedal glider on Gold, UFOs on Gold. No freakin' way to achieve three stars...

Not really sure what's hard about either of them compared to the earlier missions. I actually perfected UFOs on my first try and got 3 stars from the pedal glider mission on first try too...

low-G

The UFOs follow a set pattern based on the time. After a few tries I learned where they flew and was able to sweep them up quickly.

daffy

Banned
Been playing this all weekend. Flying Squirrel Suit omg ♥♥♥ I hope there's more missions ahead with that one.

The 3D effect is nice and all, but the game just looks good without it. Too bad the 3D is more of a gimmick instead of an actual gameplay mechanic, but that's to be expected I guess. Most of my time with Pilotwings is in 2D mode, it just plays better for me there. Great little launch title, really makes me excited to play future 3DS offerings :D

One question though: Can you use the flying squirrel suit in free flight mode?

Just three starred Diamond. 5h45m on the clock.

Going to go through Free Flight before starting the red star assault in earnest. I expect it'll take me the same time again at least.

I love this game.

jgkspsx

FTH said:
Been playing this all weekend. Flying Squirrel Suit omg ♥♥♥ I hope there's more missions ahead with that one.

One question though: Can you use the flying squirrel suit in free flight mode?
No and no. Enjoy that mission, because it's all we get :(

shawnlreed

Finally 3 starred Diamond and got all the collectables in Free Flight mode.
Everything total took me 10 hours.
I've red starred Training and Bronze, but I don't know if I am skilled enough to red star everything.

Neiteio

Just saw a YouTube video with a still image of (PW64 reference and PWR end-game spoiler)
MECA HAWK
patroling Wedge Island in Free Flight mode. He looks AWESOME! He was always sort of an indistinguishable wash of colors in PW64, but in PWR he's so crisp, clear and detailed, and I hear he shouts all the same when you hit him. Man, it's wonderful to see this iconic character from my childhood get a well-deserved update after, what, 15 years. :)

So three-starring all the missions is all it takes to get his diorama and trigger his appearance in Free Flight, correct? And those are three regular stars, not red stars, right? I can't wait to unlock him and make him my photo subject in Free Flight. :)

jgkspsx

Stephen Colbert said:
Anyone here play the plane missions in first person mode. It makes the 3D even more noticable.
Yeah, it makes the 3D much more pleasant for me. It's usually not precise enough for doing well on the missions, though.

Rich!

Neiteio said:
Just saw a YouTube video with a still image of (PW64 reference and PWR end-game spoiler)
MECA HAWK
patroling Wedge Island in Free Flight mode. He looks AWESOME! He was always sort of an indistinguishable wash of colors in PW64, but in PWR he's so crisp, clear and detailed, and I hear he shouts all the same when you hit him. Man, it's wonderful to see this iconic character from my childhood get a well-deserved update after, what, 15 years. :)

So three-starring all the missions is all it takes to get his diorama and trigger his appearance in Free Flight, correct? And those are three regular stars, not red stars, right? I can't wait to unlock him and make him my photo subject in Free Flight. :)

Yep! Three star everything. He even gets his own page on the diorama section!

Got the game today, loving it. The 3D blew me away and adds so much to the experience.

What does it mean "Next time you can try a score even better than perfect?"

And what's the quickest way to unlock my first Diorama? I'm curious how these look.

I think the first diorama unlocks when you get twenty of the vehicle specific collectibles in free flight. (so 20 Mii statues, stunt rings or glider rings)

Top Bottom