• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

Outtrigger888 said:
Offtopic but are excite trucks and bots worth picking up? Ive heard praise around these parts before but for some reason always decided to ignore it.
I've only played Excite Trucks, the game is pretty awesome despite how terrible the graphics are.

Whooo hooo! I finally got a perfect on Silver Class' Hang-glider 2 photography mission. I did that mission so many damn times too. It felt hella' good to perfect it.

I've now moved onto the Gold Class and have already got perfects on Hang-glide 1+2.

This game is great.

supermackem said:
People should start tossing up there pic from in game they save to sd dont they?.

Yeah, they save to the SD card and are easy to get and post.
I put a few in the NA Launch thread a while back.

Neiteio

Are we allowed to post pictures of
MECA HAWK
? He's the subject of, like, 90 percent of my photos in this game. :)

shawnlreed

Japanese Commercial is up on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mqb-hB12q4

Warning: Bonus-after-beating-the-game spoiler from 0:30 - 0:32

5607442302_cd510694a4.jpg

Dude seriously loves the Squirrel Suit.

5607442040_c0aced428b.jpg

jgkspsx

Outtrigger888 said:
Offtopic but are excite trucks and bots worth picking up? Ive heard praise around these parts before but for some reason always decided to ignore it.
Despite the additions in Excitebots, I prefer Excitetruck. The experience is purer and the custom soundtracks are transforming. Both are worth buying, though.

DJ88

So far I'm loving this game. I got it after returning Rayman and I'm glad I did. So far I'm at all perfect red stars up to the third Platinum plane mission. I don't feel like coming back to perfect them so I'm just doing them all from the get go. They're all pretty easy to perfect except for the landings. I'd rank difficulty in perfect landings as Plane>Handglider>Rocket Belt. The rocket belt missions are almost too easy, I always look forward to doing those. I've only scratched the surface of the free flight mode, but I did manage to unlock the plane diorama which is awesome. Position the plane so the tail is facing the camera and it looks like a real plane inside the screen.

Should be finishing the missions soon, I just hope the diamond missions aren't too hard to perfect.

mrkgoo

How close in feel is this to pilot wings 64? I think pilot wings 64 was a vastly underrated game and rivalled waverace 64. It definitely belonged t the top ten n64 games.

mrkgoo said:
How close in feel is this to pilot wings 64? I think pilot wings 64 was a vastly underrated game and rivalled waverace 64. It definitely belonged t the top ten n64 games.
Pretty close I'd say. Biggest difference is there's only one map but the music and controls (especially rocket belt and hang glider) are pretty similar.

Neiteio

Neuromancer said:
Pretty close I'd say. Biggest difference is there's only one map but the music and controls (especially rocket belt and hang glider) are pretty similar.
It should be noted that this "one map" in PWR is a lot more intricate than any of the maps in PW64. At least, in PW64 I don't recall there being any tunnels and caves that you can thread your way through, nor any sheer vertical segments like the interior of Wuhu's volcano. There's no wind resistance in PWR, either, so vehicles like the hang glider are a great deal easier to control, though of course the missions are built with this in mind and are thus still very challenging and satisfying.

AceBandage said:
They were awesome, actually.
Indeed. Excite Truck and ExciteBots both look very nice, not only for Wii titles but in general. It's the sense of speed you get when on the ground and of vertigo when in the air. The environments are expansive and full of color and detail. It really feels like you're tearing up this immense world, terra-forming as you. :)

Milpool

Neiteio said:
...At least, in PW64 I don't recall there being any tunnels and caves that you can thread your way through, nor any sheer vertical segments like the interior of Wuhu's volcano...

I definitely remember one of the jet-pack missions consisting of navigating through a pretty large cave system, with straight waterfall drops. It drove me mad as a young'n...

edit- This is it.

meppi

Well I finally broke down and ordered ExciteBots from the US and made my Wii region free...

Since it doesn't seem the game will ever get released in Europe and Monster Games have quickly become one of my favourite developers.

Just watch as the game will finally get announced for Europe in the next 3 months or so now, just like what happened with Animal Crossing once I got the freeloader and imported it as well. :-/
If so, I'll buy the UK version as well. ;)

Given that ExciteBots was released 2 years ago already, I think you're safe. Plus, I'm sure Nintendo said at the time there were no plans for Euro release. It's an excellent game, though. I bought it upon release as I thought Excite Truck was amazing and wanted more. Not sure how busy the ExciteBots multiplayer is at the moment but I'd be up for some races.

As for Pilotwings Resort, 31/42 red stars currently. Just the right side of annoying for me!

photo of my progress so far

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't believe how badly the gaming press dropped the ball on the reviews for this game. Maybe it was the mad rush to cover all of the launch games but they obviously did not take enough time with this game. It's sad to think that may have influenced people to stay away.

Myriadis

Milpool said:
I definitely remember one of the jet-pack missions consisting of navigating through a pretty large cave system, with straight waterfall drops. It drove me mad as a young'n...

edit- This is it.

And now I remember the horrible camera in PW64 that caused me to bump into several walls.There is also a cave in Frosty Island which leads to a star.And a small cave with a dead end in the first island which changes the day into night.

Tom_Cody said:
Has there been any word, ever, on a Pilotwings 64 VC release? I want to play it so much.

No. It's the VC game I'm looking forward to most as well. I bought and completed the SNES VC version too.

Tom_Cody

Mockingbird said:
No. It's the VC game I'm looking forward to most as well. I bought and completed the SNES VC version too.
What a shame. I guess it's time to dig up my N64 and hunt down a copy on ebay.

Tom_Cody said:
Has there been any word, ever, on a Pilotwings 64 VC release? I want to play it so much.
PC N64 emulators have a few issues with Pilotwings for some reason, so perhaps Nintendo's N64 emulator that they package with each VC N64 game also has problems with it? In other words, it may be a technical hurdle that stops them from releasing it?

Boney said:
Can't find the last location :(
What number is it?

Tom_Cody said:
What a shame. I guess it's time to dig up my N64 and hunt down a copy on ebay.

Brand new, unopened, mint condition JP copies are for sale for only 60 cents in akihabara. I bought one last week. Going to put it in a display case -- because this game series deserves it.

Boney

Banned
gingerbeardman said:
PC N64 emulators have a few issues with Pilotwings for some reason, so perhaps Nintendo's N64 emulator that they package with each VC N64 game also has problems with it? In other words, it may be a technical hurdle that stops them from releasing it?

What number is it?

don't spell it out yet though.

grkazan12

So I found everything in free flight mode and after I got perfect stars on all the missions I remember it saying that there was one more extra to find in free flight. Anyone know what this is if there is one and is there not anything after perfect stars and all things found in free flight?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anybody know if any Aus retailers are selling it early?

grkazan12

Okay so I just found
Meca Hawk
on the Island, pretty awesome I have to say. I guess that's pretty much it. Overall, I have to say that this was an excellent game and I can see how reviewers said it was a 2-3 hour game but that's only attainable by rushing through the game. After it was all said and done I logged about 32 hours in this awesome game. Definitely my favorite game out of the all launch titles, hoping for a more fully featured Pilotwings or at least DLC if it's possible.

jgkspsx

Only three missions in Diamond? Aww.

They're real fun, though. I came close to three stars on both plane and jetpack first try, though.

I got the XBLA Indie game Avaglide. I'm not knocking it - it's an impressive homage to Pilotwings - but it really brought home how excellent the controls and feeling of motion are in PWR.

Almyn

I only need to 3 star one more mission to unlock Diamond. The second rocket pack mission is an absolute nightmare though. The timing bonus is just too tight. I can't do it :(

Andrew.

Banned
I am so glad they are re-making this game. I spent so many hours just flying around the world map. Not to mention the birdman feature. (speaking of n64 version FYI). Nothing ever felt so open and free like Pilotwings. Will love them eternally.

gingerbeardman said:
Yeah I was hoping for more from Avaglide. Shows how difficult getting simple things like controls working well really is
I didn't think Avaglide was bad, to me the biggest bummer was no take offs and landings, and other than the flying through rings I didn't like any of the modes. Oh yeah and there was so little detail in the environment, some houses or something would have gone a long way.

Nonag

Neo Member
I just finished all missions with perfect scores and found everything in Free Flight. Now there are a few things that I want to say about this game. First thing is I hate balloons.
Second thing: it's a really good game. The missions are varied and challenging, but never unfair. The music is great and playing some missions was really relaxing (I love the hangglider missions :) )
But after finishing it I feel a bit let down... I mean ONLY Wuhu Island? Come on Nintendo. After finishing Pilotwings 64 I still had the urge to fly around in the Gyrocopter to explore the different islands and regions avaiable... but here I have the feeling that I have seen everything, especially after finding everything in Free Flight.
And there's a serious lack of crazy missions... I mean no jumping boots and no cannonball missions for example...
This game just feels lazy and that's what I expect from a port maybe but not from a full launch game for the next big nintendo handheld.

@nonag what do you get for perfect scoring every level? (spoiler protect it, please)

I wouldn't call this a lazy remake - and it's technically not a port. IMHO the single location may simply be down to Nintendo choosing to push Wuhu Island, and perhaps a short development period. It's supremely focussed, despite the environment shortcomings.

I'm holding out hope for some crazy missions, or anything in fact, as DLC. We shall see.

Milpool

gingerbeardman said:
...what do you get for perfect scoring every level? (spoiler protect it, please)...

The ability to use either of the 2 available crafts for each mission.

I feared I wouldn't touch this after I'd got 100% complete, and I haven't. We need a high score thread in the community forum or something.

Nonag

Neo Member
gingerbeardman said:
@nonag what do you get for perfect scoring every level? (spoiler protect it, please)

I wouldn't call this a lazy remake - and it's technically not a port. IMHO the single location may simply be down to Nintendo choosing to push Wuhu Island, and perhaps a short development period. It's supremely focussed, despite the environment shortcomings.

I'm holding out hope for some crazy missions, or anything in fact, as DLC. We shall see.

For perfect scoring every mission
you get to see meca hawk in free flight mode and you can replay every mission except the diamond missions with both different aircrafts available (for example in the rocket belt missions you can also use the super rocket belt) and go for a score attack... which makes little sense because there are no online leaderboards... you also get a meca hawk diorama which looks cool :)

I didn't mean to say that this game is a lazy remake... I meant that I expect more from a full fledged launch game from Nintendo.

Thanks guys - almost there myself!

5610203248_a19212d8f1_m.jpg

I really like to think Nintendo forced this one out a little bit early to meet launch. I could be wrong though! Fingers crossed for DLC

Neiteio

You don't need to get Perfect on each mission in order for
Meca Hawk
to appear. You just need to get three-stars on all missions -- three regular stars, NOT three red stars. Far more doable!

I wish we could post the in-game pictures we've taken of said spoiler. :-\

EDIT: Eh? Where'd my avatar go? o_O

Top Bottom