• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

Naked Snake said:
Got the game today, loving it. The 3D blew me away and adds so much to the experience.

What does it mean "Next time you can try a score even better than perfect?"

And what's the quickest way to unlock my first Diorama? I'm curious how these look.
First you have to play through missions, maybe get to gold or silver before the collectibles in Free flight even show up (other than time-extending balloons and location sites.) So I would concentrate on mission mode for now.

You get better than perfect by playing again and you'll get a bonus on top of your perfect score.

I'm only in Bronze mode so far, and my only complaint is that it can be difficult to see the landing spots when using Rocket Belt, your character can obscure the view and the camera can be tricky to adjust in the heat of things.

Barrett2

Naked Snake said:
I'm only in Bronze mode so far, and my only complaint is that it can be difficult to see the landing spots when using Rocket Belt, your character can obscure the view and the camera can be tricky to adjust in the heat of things.
Are you using R shoulder button to give you a top-down view? It's very helpful. When I land I usually keep using the strong boosters, light boosters are too weak, I end up smacking the ground too often.

lawblob said:
Are you using R shoulder button to give you a top-down view? It's very helpful. When I land I usually keep using the strong boosters, light boosters are too weak, I end up smacking the ground too often.

Hmm, no I wasn't aware of the R button doing that. I was using the face buttons to tilt the camera I think. Will try it!

Also if you hit the L button it stabilizes you, it burns a lot of fuel but it's helpful to stop your momentum.

I usually use that when I'm over the target, then fine tune my landing with the other buttons.

Murrah

Banned
I'm glad the game's getting a lot of gaf love after all the lukewarm reviews; this ranks right up there with Mario World, Mario 64 and Lumines as one of my favorite launch titles ever (though the fact that I never played Wii Sports Resort probably helps). If only there was just a smidge bit more squirrel suit

Yeah, L button makes jetpack landings a breeze. I've been trying to go for perfects but getting a perfect landing in the plane seems too hard compared to the other vehicles. Kind of annoying to have to keep re-doing the same missions over and over just for the 1 out of 10 times I actually get the landing right.

Neuromancer said:
Also if you hit the L button it stabilizes you, it burns a lot of fuel but it's helpful to stop your momentum.

I usually use that when I'm over the target, then fine tune my landing with the other buttons.

Oh I forgot about the stabilizing brakes (been so long since I played PW64), that's gonna help a lot. I tried R for the camera but didn't find it very comfortable (you have to hold it).

besiktas1

besiktas1 said:
Bronze cup last mission (6), I can't seem to land that fucking glyder. No matter what I do I always get -5 I swear I'm landing perfectly!

Anyone pls? I really want to carry on playing this.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
besiktas1 said:
Anyone pls? I really want to carry on playing this.

Get really slow as you go in, you can pull up and gain distance even at very slow landing speeds, and while holding "b". Get the hang of knowing just how much distance you can get at the speed threshold and then once you have your impact score perfect. Once you have a perfect grasp on impact score, accuracy is much easier to nail.

besiktas1

I do, I land in the middle, can nail every landing other than that one for some reason...

I take my pic and lan- nope - minus Fuuuuuu

grkazan12

Okay had anyone perfected the glider photo challenge in the silver group? I can get everything pretty much perfect but I can never get 90/90 for my photos of the castle,bridge,and the motel. Need help?

besiktas1 said:
I do, I land in the middle, can nail every landing other than that one for some reason...

When does the minus show up on the score chart?

grkazan12 said:
Okay had anyone perfected the glider photo challenge in the silver group? I can get everything pretty much perfect but I can never get 90/90 for my photos of the castle,bridge,and the motel. Need help?
Make sure the yellow outline is as close to the edges of the screen as possible.

Milpool

besiktas1 said:

Maybe you're approaching from too great a hight? You need to come in at a very acute angle or pull back at the last moment to keep the impact to a minimum.

grkazan12 said:
This one took me ages due to the photo's as well, in the end taking the pic about half a second after the guide lines on the camera matched the box that appears around the subject, if that makes sense.

Neiteio

This game is incredible. One of my favorite Nintendo games, and that's not hyperbole or the heat of a new (console) relationship. It's just the intoxicating mix of immersive escapism and surgically precise steering not seen since F-Zero, coupled with the pick-up-and-play, just-one-more-try nature of the game. And the charm -- so much charm. :)

Neiteio

Man, I feel like a kid again seeing
Meca Hawk
stomping around the island. He looks fantastic. For a Pilotwings fan, it's the equivalent of the Koopalings in NSMB Wii. :) Plus, his I-ring has a different comment for each time of the day. One notes he hasn't attacked the town yet and wonders if he's "chilled out since his heydey," lol. I love his diorama, too; try zooming in about halfway, so only his head, arm and upper torso are visible, and then position him so he's holding his hand out and crank up the 3D. This is by far the most impressive 3D effect I've seen on the system so far; it looks like he's holding the flight attendant outside of the screen. Amazing pop-out. :)

Tenbatsu

12hrs in and I managed to get perfect score for the first 3 groups. Now on to Gold and Platinum! Man this game is hardcore shit.

Barrett2

The pop-in of the collectibles in free mode is irritating. I understand they want the landscape free of clutter so you don't see exclamation marks and gift boxes littering the ground, but damn, you have to be right on top of stuff for it to appear sometimes.

lawblob said:
The pop-in of the collectibles in free mode is irritating. I understand they want the landscape free of clutter so you don't see exclamation marks and gift boxes littering the ground, but damn, you have to be right on top of stuff for it to appear sometimes.
Yeah and some of the collectibles are out over the water, you wouldn't see them unless you got lucky or asked for help.

Also at night, blue balloons have the annoying habit of looking like unpopped white balloons (because of the shiny part.)

8h20 in, just mopping up Free Flight and at 73/75, 109/120, 163/180 (only rings remaining)

Amazing stuff. It's just honed to perfection.

Boney

Banned
grkazan12 said:
I did the 3 photos perfect once. But failed to land :((((((((

Murrah

Banned
Boney said:
I did the 3 photos perfect once. But failed to land :((((((((

I spent over an hour today trying to get perfect on the biplane mission where you follow Miguel through the stunt rings, all because for whatever reason I absolutely could not land it properly. It got to the point where I had each stunt ring memorized, haha

jgkspsx

Found the last stunt ring. Hidden in the crook of Deserted Island. Bah.

Two items left for each of the other vehicles. Thanks for the suggestions! It turned out that I wasn't as thorough on Wedge Island or the middle part of the beach peninsula as I thought.

I'm all out of ideas on the last two of each. As far as I know, I've gone through every tunnel, taken all the main successful routes from Wuhu to Wedge with the glider, and examined every significant group of multiple trees. I might try following Miguel around.

This wouldn't be nearly so hard if the item pop-in weren't so abrupt and unpredictable. It doesn't seem to be a standard distance.

Izayoi

Banned
canadian crowe said:
The rocket belt can go straight to hell. So hard to control. I do love the squirrel suit though.
Rocket Belt is better than trying to land the fucking Hang Glider.

Though the maddening "think balloon" popping bullshit Platinum mission has brought me close to snapping my 3DS on multiple occasions. What the fuck I can't get better than two stars for the life of me. WHY

gogojira

So, I don't think this game plays particularly like my previous PW experience (Pilotwings 64), but I'm actually really enjoying it. It's a light on content, but I'm having no problems overlooking that because it's seems so well put together.

It's kind of like Luigi's Mansion for me, a lot of people bagged on it at launch, but I guess it just clicked with me.

I swapped Street Fighter IV out for it, which may seem like a dumb move to some, but fuck, that was the third time I bought the damn game. Playing it on 3DS reminded me that I'm done with that game.

Just got to the Credits. Mission Flight Mode time: 2:44

I've logged in over an hour in the Free Flight Mode, and there is still perfection and one more class to complete in Mission Flight. I'd say when all is said and done I'll probably be mostly complete with the game with a total time of about 6-8 hours flight time. Of course, I doubt it counts the replays I keep watching and so forth.

I do agree with reviews that more content would certainly have made the game better. The game is still quite good by itself, though. I hope that this game sells so well that Monster Games makes a fully-robust sequel, with more islands, more vehicles, and 3DS features other than the 3D. After they make an Excitebike game for it, of course.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So the golden balloon mission in platinum is grade-A bullshit, and after trying it a couple times I've decided I'm not even gonna try and 3 star it. Fuck. That. Shit.

So I haven't gotten that far in the game, but are there any other vehicles in the game beside the airplane, glider, and rocket belt? I'm really missing the gyro-copter form the N64 game. I used to just fly around in that thing shooting the abominable snowman in the face. Also, any cannon balling?

zeioIIDX

Zerokku said:
So the golden balloon mission in platinum is grade-A bullshit, and after trying it a couple times I've decided I'm not even gonna try and 3 star it. Fuck. That. Shit.
Just played it for the first time today and spent about a minute trying to pop just one balloon....it was at that point that I realized this was the mission a lot of people had been complaining about and I turned off the 3DS. Figure I'll try some other time :/

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
zeioIIDX said:
Just played it for the first time today and spent about a minute trying to pop just one balloon....it was at that point that I realized this was the mission a lot of people had been complaining about and I turned off the 3DS. Figure I'll try some other time :/

Got around to trying it a few more times. In the 2 attempts where I didn't immediately reset because of a bad landing/I missed more than 1 balloon, I got 223 and 224. 2 and 1 under the 3 star score respectively

/headdesk

zeioIIDX

Ha, guess it wasn't so bad after all. Got 3 stars on my third try. I realized that reading the Details tab of each mission can be pretty helpful. In the golden balloon mission it mentions that you should take off from the fuel pads right as you see the golden balloon shimmer. It really does help!

Jackano

Just 2 rings left in free flight. The voluntary clipping is ridiculous and makes things realy harder than it should be!
Not to mention that all the shit (especially colored balloons) fucks up the pictures.

3-starring all missions is not easy. It makes me sad, I'm not this kind of hardcore gamer anymore - I did it 15 years ago with Pilotwings 64 and with its wind, but I really dont want to fight and stress on those golden balloons or perfect landing or timed landing at 3:00 this time. I was hopping it will be a relaxing game this year, but even the free mode is timed, as already said multiples times.

Overall I like it, pretty good music, and a good game. It's not AAA, but I enjoyed to see Pilotwings again after a decade and a half. Perfect second-hand game, I suppose.

zeioIIDX

Ah! Just unlocked Diamond class a minute ago. The music that plays as the credits roll is effing amazing...definitely gives me a Pilotwings 64 vibe. I'm honestly happy with the amount of time I've been able to put into this game as well as the amount of work and detail the team put into the game. I can only imagine/hope a sequel will be in the works and if it's on the scale that Pilotwings 64 was back in the day, oh man...Please give us an updated Little States with all sorts of detail!!

zeioIIDX

Sweet, 3 star'd all missions :) Probably will not bother getting red stars on them all...that's a little daunting and I still have Ridge Racer and SSFIV to play. I think my hardcore days ended with getting 180 emblems on Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on the GameCube (o_0)

Top Bottom