• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

jgkspsx

Meca Hawk
is unlocked with all stars, not all perfects, right?

If so, it's just the super rocket pack Diamond mission between me and him, then.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There is nothing about the rocket pack that I dont hate with a profound intensity.

jgkspsx

The rocket pack is my favorite! Except when trying to get perfects.

It goes out of control easily, yes, but when it's just barely IN control it's supremely awesome.

The normal plane is still the most boring thing in the game. Except for the missions designed for it, it's just not worth flying.

I've perfected everything up until Gold and the first two light-plane missions on platinum! Still actually haven't beaten the game yet either. I don't move on to the next mission until I perfect it!

This game is so awesome! I still have to put it under Pilotwings 64 because it's no-where near ambitious and there is only one locale and no mini-games but it's still hella fun.

I just started to notice some of the sounds effects while playing today. For example, if you shoot a target in the forest area you'll hear some ducks fly off =) I only wish the town had sound effects like the N64 version did -- like kids having fun at the theme park in Holiday Island, for example.

I am playing this way more than i expected... I am not a score chaser or a completionist typically, but I want to three star every mission!!! I am up to platinum now and on my first try i barely got any stars so it is going to be tough! It may be the drought of 3ds games or the spectacular 3d effect of this one, or the addicting gameplay or a combo of the 3, but I am hooked.

BTW got everything in free flight mode :)

this comes out in japan tomorrow, finally!

plan on picking it up at the sofmap below my office and faking diarrhoea so i can play it in the toilet.

jgkspsx said:
Meca Hawk
is unlocked with all stars, not all perfects, right?

If so, it's just the super rocket pack Diamond mission between me and him, then.

You are my clone, right?

Someone please answer this.

Also, this game is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the critics lead on.

Boney

Banned
mentalfloss said:
You are my clone, right?

Someone please answer this.

Also, this game is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the critics lead on.
yes

found the shits btw, thank god

still missing like 3 trophies, 4 rings, diamond class to red star and the photo mission.

I'm at 15 hours played right now, barely scratched Platinum, and haven't touched Free Flight. I HATE THIS SHORT, AWFUL GAME.

UNMITIGATED. LOVE.

rhino4evr

Besides being a great game, it's an even better portable game. The pick up and play nature, and the short missions make the game a fun quick fix.

rhino4evr said:
Besides being a great game, it's an even better portable game. The pick up and play nature, and the short missions make the game a fun quick fix.
It's also a excellent game to show the system off to other people.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've played the shit out of this game today. My review will be up tomorrow. TLDR: It has flaws that need to be noted, but it's still a ton of fun and reminds me why I love Monster Games.

Jeels

metsallica said:
I'm at 15 hours played right now, barely scratched Platinum, and haven't touched Free Flight. I HATE THIS SHORT, AWFUL GAME.

UNMITIGATED. LOVE.

Exactly what have you been doing for 15 hours? I have three starred up to Gold and have free flight mode about 50% done and I am only at three and a half hours.

Sure you can three red star, but that doesn't mean the game has a lot of content. It means you like replaying the same thing over and over for a perfect score.

Jeels said:
It means you like replaying the same thing over and over for a perfect score.
This is what this game is about. Sure it's not for the ADHD crowd but some people like it and can get a good mileage out of the title. If you just play to see all the missions it still takes a while since you need 3 stars. Of course that involves some retrying etc. so aforementioned crowd will probably not want to sit through that.

Jeels said:
Exactly what have you been doing for 15 hours? I have three starred up to Gold and have free flight mode about 50% done and I am only at three and a half hours
Let us know your time after three starring diamond and completing free flight. Genuinely interested.

Jeels

This is what this game is about. Sure it's not for the ADHD crowd but some people like it and can get a good mileage out of the title. If you just play to see all the missions it still takes a while since you need 3 stars. Of course that involves some retrying etc. so aforementioned crowd will probably not want to sit through that.

I don't think "that's what this game is about" is a legitimate statement to make in the context of an argument on lack of content. If the game is about having just a few quick missions to be replayed over and over for perfect completion, then yes, "this game is about" a lack of content.

Edit: It looks like the below poster is echoing your statements, I don't know what the other Pilotwings were like, but I heard they at least had multiple stages to fly in. Regardless, if this is what "Pilotwings is about" then obviously Pilotwings isn't for me.

Let us know your time after three starring diamond and completing free flight. Genuinely interested.

Sure, not a problem! I really am enjoying this game, it's a great launch title and I wanted one that took advantage of 3D, looked good, was enjoyable to play, and incorporated Mii's. However as much as I am enjoying it, I am very much so angered by some of the apologists in here trying to claim that this game is not seriously lacking in content and modes. It could have been a much better game with more content in.

EatChildren

Phife Dawg said:

Pretty much. The game really could do with more substance, but the point of the game is it's scoring system, and if you're not hooked by it you're not going to spend the same amount of hours that others do.

What I think seperates Pilotwings from other titles of it's kind though is that the scoring system is up front to the player. You're not so much endlessly repeating missions blindly trying to luck out a high score, as knowing what your pros and cons are and attempting to improve them on second runs. You'll know you can squeeze more points by going quicker, or getting the landing tighter, etc.

The game heavily emphasies skill mastery, sharing similarities with Excite Bots/Trucks. Its a frustrating situation for the game to be in, as for those who are not all that big on that kind of play style they will find the lack of substance all the more apparent.

The Mana Legend said:
Still can't find that last damn gold ring in Free Flight. That's all I need to 100% the game. ;_;
Is this it?

Neuromancer said:
There is a ring in a very strange location, just south of the tip of Wedge Island and to the east, out over the water.

photo1qlk.jpg

low-G

Milpool said:
Another clue-
The location is related to the 3rd rocket belt mission on gold

I know what you're talking about, and I'm in the same situation, and I can't find it. I've spent about 30 minutes looking for it. Any more hints?

Location 75 is located north-east off the mainland, out over the water. That one rocket belt mission should have put you right on top of it though.

EatChildren

Jeels said:
Edit: It looks like the below poster is echoing your statements, I don't know what the other Pilotwings were like, but I heard they at least had multiple stages to fly in. Regardless, if this is what "Pilotwings is about" then obviously Pilotwings isn't for me.

It's lacking in content. There's no question about it and if a sequel comes along it will hopefully improve on the formula, back to older Pilotwings games, by have more locations and a wider variety in missions. The substance here is minimal and quite easy to breeze through.

But you also need to understand that with a game like this there is a heavy emphasis on control mastery and score. Aiming for perfect runs isn't an artificial means of extending the game, as achieving those runs is entirely up to how the player performs. It's real performance that can be evaluated accurately by the performance scores at the end of each mission.

It's not a perfect analogy, but think of it a bit like a fighting game. The objective in a fighting game isn't necessarily to simply beat the arcade mode or whatever. In nearly all fighting games that is very easy to do and can be done in a day. The core of a fighting game is character mastery. It's about building skills, underestanding combos, and mastering how the characters fight.

A similar thing applies to Pilotwings Resort. Beating the missions is one thing, but that's really very easy. You may have beaten a mission, but you haven't mastered the vehicle, and the game is telling you exactly that. So, if you dig that style of game, you go back and master it. You perfect those landings, fly with speed, and hit every score you can.

It's a minority audiance this game appeals to, mind you, so I expect most people will walk away hurt by the lack of substance, which is a completely valid criticism. But there is much more to the game than simply beating the levels, and that's the important point to remember.

low-G

Neuromancer said:
Location 75 is located north-east off the mainland, out over the water. That one rocket belt mission should have put you right on top of it though.

OK thank you, finally got it. I actually expected
there to be a UFO around somewhere
. It showed up on my map screen, which meant it was just a matter of finding the altitude.

Milpool

low-G said:
OK thank you, finally got it. I actually expected
there to be a UFO around somewhere
. It showed up on my map screen, which meant it was just a matter of finding the altitude.

Yeah it's a pain in the ass to find. The easiest way I find is to
take off at night time with the normal plane and immidietly fly straight up to 130m(427ft?) and keep flying forwards and you should run into it.

Alrus

I really love free flight, I just wish they would remove the time limit completely after you 100% it but 5 min is plenty already so it's ok :) Also it would've been really cool if they added an online leaderboard for that mode, would compel me to go back and try to get as many thing as possible...

Anyway I still have a bit of an issue with the 3D in this game, sometime when I approach a ballon/ring, I get massive ghosting like my eyes completely lose focus, it's a bit distracting... I never had that issue with other games so far.

heringer

EatChildren said:
It's not a perfect analogy, but think of it a bit like a fighting game. The objective in a fighting game isn't necessarily to simply beat the arcade mode or whatever. In nearly all fighting games that is very easy to do and can be done in a day. The core of a fighting game is character mastery. It's about building skills, underestanding combos, and mastering how the characters fight.
It's all about multiplayer, actually. All the building skills and mastering are means to an end, the end being kicking others people's butt. Mastering skills in Pilotwings is an end in itself, so I'm not sure if the analogy quite fits.

I do get your point though.

EatChildren

heringer said:
It's all about multiplayer, actually. All the building skills and mastering are means to an end, the end being kicking others people's butt. Mastering skills in Pilotwings is an end in itself, so I'm not sure if the analogy quite fits.

I do get your point though.

Totally true, which is why I was a bit hesitant to use that analogy, but I'm glad you can see what I'm getting at.

It's not so much a means of forgiving the game for it's flaws and lack of substance, but I do think it is a valid part of the design that should be noted. It's basically the one big thing that will turn 3 hours into 13.

Alrus said:
I really love free flight, I just wish they would remove the time limit completely after you 100% it but 5 min is plenty already so it's ok :) Also it would've been really cool if they added an online leaderboard for that mode, would compel me to go back and try to get as many thing as possible...

Anyway I still have a bit of an issue with the 3D in this game, sometime when I approach a ballon/ring, I get massive ghosting like my eyes completely lose focus, it's a bit distracting... I never had that issue with other games so far.

I get it too, usually from something bright against a dark background so it happens a lot during the night missions. Turning down the slider a bit seems to help.

Jeels said:
I don't think "that's what this game is about" is a legitimate statement to make in the context of an argument on lack of content. If the game is about having just a few quick missions to be replayed over and over for perfect completion, then yes, "this game is about" a lack of content.

Sure, not a problem! I really am enjoying this game, it's a great launch title and I wanted one that took advantage of 3D, looked good, was enjoyable to play, and incorporated Mii's. However as much as I am enjoying it, I am very much so angered by some of the apologists in here trying to claim that this game is not seriously lacking in content and modes. It could have been a much better game with more content in.
I think it is lacking in locales and that is a valid criticism, especially for me since I played WSR. However the missions are varied and fun (with the gold balloons being a big exception) and I thoroughly enjoy free flight. I have put more quality time into this than a lot of other games gamers of today would call "meaty". I think PW really strikes the satisfactory feeling of constant progression of your skills in the game. When you revisit old missions you struggled with before you can see how you progressed in handling the different craft, it's quite satisfactory (at least for me). The game also works wonderfully for mobile gaming.

That being said, the game lacks more squirrel suit missions!

Squirrel suit should have been available in free flight. 3 times of day, 3 starting locations, and stuff to catch on your way down. Would have been great.

Neiteio

Night_Trekker said:
This game has some awesome music.
Yes, the game does have awesome music. We need high-quality rips of the Pedal Glider theme and Credits, especially. But the people here hate freedom and kittens, apparently. :-\

Boney

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Squirrel suit should have been available in free flight. 3 times of day, 3 starting locations, and stuff to catch on your way down. Would have been great.
you don't even have regular parachuting!

what the hell is that!

Jackano

Neiteio said:
Yes, the game does have awesome music. We need high-quality rips of the Pedal Glider theme and Credits, especially. But the people here hate freedom and kittens, apparently. :-\
I did a (descent, I think) rip a week ago. Unfortunately I didn't complete the game so no Credits theme. I hope it's OK to post a link since I already saw numerous times youtube links to vidoe game music... clic
Enjoy it, the thread on a VG music forum where I posted it is a complete fail, no one cares :lol

Jeels said:
Exactly what have you been doing for 15 hours? I have three starred up to Gold and have free flight mode about 50% done and I am only at three and a half hours.

Sure you can three red star, but that doesn't mean the game has a lot of content. It means you like replaying the same thing over and over for a perfect score.
I've generally been playing it on my commute, and I've been attempting to red star each mission as I go through them. The missions are varied, the controls are perfect, and I love the feeling of pulling off a flawless landing after a hard-fought run. I don't have OCD, I abhor achievements, I just really appreciate a bite-sized, expertly-designed title.

If you're barreling through the game, I could see how you might not be satisfied by its length or the amount of content (well, really, locations).

EDIT:Also worth noting, I feel this way without being able to experience the 3D, which many would argue is the title's biggest feature.

EatChildren said:
But there is much more to the game than simply beating the levels, and that's the important point to remember.
Amen brother.

Phife Dawg said:
However the missions are varied and fun (with the gold balloons being a big exception)
The gold balloons really aren't that tricky. The key is to fce the next platform before you take off, wait for the flash, take off and fly straight for the next platform (they're at different altitudes, generally each higher than the last) and you'll hit the balloons without really having to change course at all.

Jackano said:
I did a (descent, I think) rip a week ago. Unfortunately I didn't complete the game so no Credits theme. I hope it's OK to post a link since I already saw numerous times youtube links to vidoe game music... clic
Enjoy it, the thread on a VG music forum where I posted it is a complete fail, no one cares :lol

I do not know how high quality of a rip I did (I have been getting some noise which I remove using audacity), but I just uploaded the credits music on Youtube. The rest of the songs should be available on Youtube elsewhere. If this isn't the place to link it, I'll remove it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BadMfljJTuE

slightly off-topic, I was going to upload a rip of Face Raider's music, but it seems GilvaSunner beat me to it. He's too awesome :p

Neiteio

Jackano said:
AMAZING! Thank you! <3 Pedal Glider theme! <3

TheUnknownForce said:
I do not know how high quality of a rip I did (I have been getting some noise which I remove using audacity), but I just uploaded the credits music on Youtube. The rest of the songs should be available on Youtube elsewhere. If this isn't the place to link it, I'll remove it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BadMfljJTuE

slightly off-topic, I was going to upload a rip of Face Raider's music, but it seems GilvaSunner beat me to it. He's too awesome :p
YESSSSSS! Please check your PM, I want the mp3! :)

jgkspsx

Finished the last diamond mission this morning.
Dammit, I wanted to land on Meca Hawk, but he's bouncy.

Um, how long was SNES Pilotwings? I don't think it had as much content as this.

I did miss parachuting. Just another reason I would really like a sequel to this.

BTW, terminal velocity in the jetpack is 43 mph. That's just embarrassing. Maybe Wuhu island is on a smaller planet.

Top Bottom