• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

Peru

Two hours with this game has just erased ALL my fears. It's got the Pilotwings spirit -- that chilled-out feeling of harmony as you soar around, the scenery, the same fine-precision gameplay, the music. Man I love this.

Can anyone who has played both Pilotwings and Excite Truck/Excitebots comment on any similarities between the two, gameplaywise? Monster Games nailed the pick up & play/just one more go aspect with both Excite titles, and Excite Truck was my most-played launch/near-launch title for the Wii in spite of the lack of content. I'm hoping the same will hold for Pilotwings...

Peru

It's definitely got that pick-up-and-play appeal, but the gameplay mechanics themselves aren't similar, of course. The crafts control really well though, slightly challenging but not imprecise. You have to think ahead with the steering, which adds to the satisfying feel pulling it off.

Neuromancer said:
fly through rings

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

dj_superman64_4.jpg

Peru

This game's visuals are underrated, I think. There are a lot of beautiful little details you start noticing, like how your hanggliders wings get caught by the wind and bend upwards.. and of course when you start to go on long distance flights (some of the platinum missions have really scenic routes) you get the best view - from far far above. Night flying is well worth unlocking in free flight.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Peru said:
This game's visuals are underrated, I think. There are a lot of beautiful little details you start noticing, like how your hanggliders wings get caught by the wind and bend upwards.. and of course when you start to go on long distance flights (some of the platinum missions have really scenic routes) you get the best view - from far far above. Night flying is well worth unlocking in free flight.

The visuals of all Nintendo's "Mii World" games are underrated. They've always got tons of details and nice little visual effects. The worlds are simple aesthetically, but feel alive and like real places.

Yeah, I really like the graphics on Pilotwings Resort too. It's great having my Mii in there, and I like how the Mii Trophies you collect on the jetpack use the Miis in your collection :D Free Flight mode is a joy, especially with a good pair of headphones on and at nighttime.

Jme

I spent a lot of time (no really like, A LOT of time) with the Plane mode of Wii Sports Resort. So I am intimately familiar with Wuhu Island. Is this island set up identically? More features/hidden things... totally different? What's up?

Peru

Never played Wii Sports Resort, luckily.

Just trying out some photography in my hangglider

5561018973_76a4d4e1a2.jpg

5561012009_0ae3d98dca.jpg

Nothing special, but it's nice that you get them on the SD card and can then share even the 3D versions on the web. Typically I came across a big whale when I'd already wasted all my shots, and then the next time I couldn't find it.

Teknoman

Mdk7 said:
There's just one... and NO, you dont' get to jump inside the volcano core in that mission (instead you have to avoid the volcano, which becomes an obstacle at a certain point).

Aww...

Just got my copy, and it sure is nice to be playing Pilotwings again. I love how the music has parts from the older games (although distractingly the beginning of one track reminds of Millenia Fair from Chrono Trigger).

I don't think I will be playing this for long sessions though. Got a little bit of eye strain from my half an hour. But that's fine though, since it's more of a pick up and play -type of game anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Izayoi said:
So people who have played this:

Would it be worth it for someone who hasn't touched Wii Sports Resort, and who loved the previous entries in the series?

I played the demo version, and I loved it, but I am worried about content. Seems like most of the impressions are coming from people who have previously explored Wuhu Island.

definitely yes. I'm only two classes done, and there are already fairly long flights, photographs to be taken. It has the feel of Pilotwings 64, and I find the island interesting enough. I have Wii sports resort but not really played it so its not old to me.

Played it for an hour today. I'll never waste another second of my life playing it. Simply dreadful and the fact that they're charging 40 bucks for it just amplifies my hate. It's the very definition of shovelware and is the equivalent of EA taking advantage of new console owners by releasing half-assed versions of Madden at a system launch. I'm betting Gamestop, Amazon etc are going to be flooded with trade-ins of this (as well as many of the other launch drek) so if you must have it, wait a little bit and you'll get it really cheap.

Kinspiracy said:
Played it for an hour today. I'll never waste another second of my life playing it. Simply dreadful and the fact that they're charging 40 bucks for it just amplifies my hate. It's the very definition of shovelware and is the equivalent of EA taking advantage of new console owners by releasing half-assed versions of Madden at a system launch. I'm betting Gamestop, Amazon etc are going to be flooded with trade-ins of this (as well as many of the other launch drek) so if you must have it, wait a little bit and you'll get it really cheap.
Did you like Pilotwings 64, or the original?

Neuromancer said:
Did you like Pilotwings 64, or the original?

I honestly don't even remember playing it and feeling one way or other about it. I did play it in Wii Sports Resort and was far and away the least interesting thing in the game. This is the equivalent of stripping that out of the game and then charging 40 bucks for it.

On the plus side, Ghost Recon is quite good. If you enjoy games like Advance Wars or Fire Emblem, check it out. My only complaint about it is that its quite obvious Ubisoft took a game intended to be on the DS and slapped some useless 3D on it and released it as a 3DS game.

meppi

Kinspiracy said:
I honestly don't even remember playing it and feeling one way or other about it. I did play it in Wii Sports Resort and was far and away the least interesting thing in the game. This is the equivalent of stripping that out of the game and then charging 40 bucks for it.
bah.

Guess some people just don't get it.

Boney

Banned
Kinspiracy said:
I'm well aware of what a money-grab is. This isn't my first console/handheld launch.
How is it a money-grab? Serious question since you didn't really say why you don't like it.

meppi

Kinspiracy said:
I'm well aware of what a money-grab is. This isn't my first console/handheld launch.
Still, with those comments you made a bit earlier it's clear that longtime fans shouldn't listen to those recommendations to stay away from Pilotwings Resort.

I realize the game isn't for everyone.
Neither was the original, nor the 64 one, and that's fine.

But to say it's a dirty cash-in and just a Wii Sports Resort copy & paste job is 100% false.

This is classic Pilotwings with a 3D hook, new missions and a couple of surprises, nothing more nothing less.
And in that regard I feel it's a must-have for fans of the original or it's sequel.

meppi said:
Still, with those comments you made a bit earlier it's clear that longtime fans shouldn't listen to those recommendations to stay away from Pilotwings Resort.

I realize the game isn't for everyone.
Neither was the original, nor the 64 one, and that's fine.

But to say it's a dirty cash-in and just a Wii Sports Resort copy & paste job is 100% false.

This is classic Pilotwings with a 3D hook, new missions and a couple of surprises, nothing more nothing less.
And in that regard I feel it's a must-have for fans of the original or it's sequel.

I don't remember feeling ripped off by the N64 game like I do this. It's essentially a 2.5 hour game being sold for 40 bucks. And I think what killed it most for me is that I felt no reason to replay any of the levels I finished. I won't shit on the game anymore. Just giving my own personal opinion. Enjoy.

meppi

Eum, well, the point of the game isn't to go through all the missions once and never play them again. :-/

If playing like that, even the best shmups would be worthlessly expensive 20 minute games.

Boney

Banned
Kinspiracy said:
I don't remember feeling ripped off by the N64 game like I do this. It's essentially a 2.5 hour game being sold for 40 bucks. And I think what killed it most for me is that I felt no reason to replay any of the levels I finished. I won't shit on the game anymore. Just giving my own personal opinion. Enjoy.
So the problem for you is lack of content?

Teknoman

Kinspiracy said:

Well if you had fun with the stages, making you want to replay them, or want to try more difficult challenges, theres that.

Kuran

Banned
Teknoman said:
Well if you had fun with the stages, making you want to replay them, or want to try more difficult challenges, theres that.

We're grasping at straws here. We should've expected more content. I'm sure everyone would have preferred to wait six months to receive a Pilotwings with additional islands and vehicles/modes/characters. Honestly its a terrible disappointment because what's there is so good.

teeny

I adore this game, at least so far. Im trying to take it slow and replay some of the missions I dont do so well on because Im aware content quantity is a bit of an issue.

Sure, I wish there were more islands, but what I have played is exceptional. The 3D hook is excellent, and created some truly awesome moments in the later stages. I wont have any trouble playing through this again and again.

Money well spent in my book.

meppi said:
Eum, well, the point of the game isn't to go through all the missions once and never play them again. :-/

If playing like that, even the best shmups would be worthlessly expensive 20 minute games.

Exactly. Outrun 2 lasts 4 mins 30 seconds if you play it like that...

KaYotiX

Banned
Kinspiracy said:

On the plus side, Ghost Recon is quite good. If you enjoy games like Advance Wars or Fire Emblem, check it out. My only complaint about it is that its quite obvious Ubisoft took a game intended to be on the DS and slapped some useless 3D on it and released it as a 3DS game.

Hmm you like the GR game for DS, while i think its more UbiSoft crap....

meppi said:
And that's why I asked, this game isn't for everyone I'm sure.

Kuran said:
We're grasping at straws here. We should've expected more content. I'm sure everyone would have preferred to wait six months to receive a Pilotwings with additional islands and vehicles/modes/characters. Honestly its a terrible disappointment because what's there is so good.
I'm not going to lie, I am very disappointed there's just one island. But that's not going to stop me from getting and enjoying this game for what it is.

Boney said:
So the problem for you is lack of content?

There's not just a severe lack of content, it's just the lack of quality content. If you're going to release a short game, it needs to give you a lot of reasons to replay it. A game like Pac Man CE DX isn't full of content, but you wanna play it over and over (well I do). In my opinion this would have made a good demo to include either as a cart with every 3DS or installed to the device. For 40 dollars you can do so much better with your money. I hope I'm not being too abrasive. That's not my intent. I was just really let down.

Peru

Maybe if I'd played WSR I'd complain about content, having seen the geography before, but as it is I feel very satisfied. The locations are incredibly rich in little details and exciting flight routes (so many caves, openings, cliffs) and the 2nd big island being so far away means you can actually spend quite some time hauling ass with the jet plane at great altitude. I don't feel limited.

Now, more would always be better, of course. But there are a lot of unlockables both in mission mode and in free flight mode, contrary to how reviewers have presented it, and the unlockables are significant. New crafts, new missions after all the regular missions if you three-star everything, different times of day for free flight mode... add to that the visual polish and this is a solid package. My 3DS tells me I've played it for 7 hours and I haven't unlocked everything, and in fact all my free flight time has been spent in daytime, leaving evening and night to be perused.

dc89

I really like Pilot Wings.

Not played much, did a few Free Flights and 3 challenges.

I can't get used to the game at full 3D but it's glorious at around 50%. And I've book marked this thread on my iPad so I am ready for more Pilot Wings when I get the urge.

Holy mother of god Kinspiracy, your opinion is so wrong. If I hear someone more saying this game only last 2 hours Im going to start throwing shit.
ITS A LIE. The game is probably 8-10 hours long, and thats probably without getting the RED stars, were you need a lot of patience and time.
Shovelware my ass.

To put it straight:
THIS GAME IS NOT EASY
THIS GAME IS NOT SHORT

I havent seen yet anyone with all perfect missions, so Im yet to see someone that has completed pilotwings resort as pilotwings is about perfecting the game, not beating it with the minimum score. Anyone saying that this game is easy or short (for what it is) its a liar. Its like saying you beat a 3D Mario with only 60 stars, the only thing you are doing is lying to yourself.

I am nearly 8 hours and yet have to complete the 3 stars (and that doesnt mean 3 red stars) in 4 of the medals, and some of the missions are hellish difficult (fuck platinum jetpak).
You see, 3 stars its easy in the first missions, relatively easy in the normal missions and can be hard to get in the last missions.
RED stars, and that means doing the mission perfectly, is easy in the training medal, but in the next it can range from difficult to normal. In the third batch of missions RED stars are difficult to get. In the last batch getting RED stars is hard as balls. And they say you get something when you get all the yellow stars.
Then theres also free mode, that its not free mode per se, as its another mode you have to complete to get 100% in the game. I have 75% of that mode and its starting to get difficult to find all the things in the island. If you played a lot WiiSports Resort airplane mode, it will probably be beaten faster and be more boring, thank god I didnt do much in that game and this mode doesnt feel repetitive.

Music is awesome and feels like Pilotwings 64.
3D is really great somewhere in the middle.
Graphics are simple but effective. The bumpmapping in the rocks is awesome, you even can see reflection in the rocks from the lava zone inside the volcano. The sea at dawn looks incredible.
And I have yet to see any drops in framerate.

Its Pilotwings to its maximum exponential, so if you loved original SNES Pilotwings or Pilotwings 64 you will love this.
The only fault, theres only Wuhu Island, with more places it could have turn the perfect Pilotwings game. That is the only lack of content there is in the game.

One important thing when new people start to play. Put the 3D some way in the middle, the game plays great like this.
Put it in full 3D when you see the dioramas you can get, you will say wow.

I won't bother responding to the idiotic assertion that my opinion is wrong. But if you can get 10 hours of enjoyment out of any game, it's probably worth 40 bucks to you. I'm not telling you why you should hate it. I'm telling you why I despise it. It's partly due to the lack of content, and partly due to the price tag. This game for 4.99 as a DSware download would really change my mind. I have a feeling Gamestop will have boatloads of used copies within weeks.

friskykillface said:
Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow , even if its super short , amazon usually has good trade in values for games.

I loved Pilotwings 64 :D

Amazon bases their trade in value on how many they get traded back to them. A 60 dollar game will usually hold at 40 dollars trade in value for the first week. So if you get this or any other 3DS game and don't enjoy it, you can probably count on getting 20-25 bucks back for a trade a week or two after release.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
SpacePirate Ridley said:
To put it straight:
THIS GAME IS NOT EASY
THIS GAME IS NOT SHORT

First off, I love this game. It's awesome. Pedal Glider sucks, but everything else is cool.

However I will argue that it is FAR easier than Pilotwings 64 and Pilotwings. The biggest reason is that one of the biggest challenges from the last two games is gone, and that was wind. Wind was a major pain in the previous games, and there is none present in Pilotwings resort. I will say I have not unlocked diamond (few more missions to go), so maybe it changes, but I'd imagine wind would have been there long before platinum.

Landings in this game are not very hard and are easily perfected. And in previous games, wind made that challenging. I would say the missions themselves are on par with the other Pilotwings games as far as difficulty goes. There is certainly a challenge to the missions, but the lack of wind makes perfecting them much easier than previous Pilotwings games.

zeioIIDX

DrForester said:
First off, I love this game. It's awesome. Pedal Glider sucks, but everything else is cool.

However I will argue that it is FAR easier than Pilotwings 64 and Pilotwings. The biggest reason is that one of the biggest challenges from the last two games is gone, and that was wind. Wind was a major pain in the previous games, and there is none present in Pilotwings resort. I will say I have not unlocked diamond (few more missions to go), so maybe it changes, but I'd imagine wind would have been there long before platinum.

Landings in this game are not very hard and are easily perfected. And in previous games, wind made that challenging. I would say the missions themselves are on par with the other Pilotwings games as far as difficulty goes. There is certainly a challenge to the missions, but the lack of wind makes perfecting them much easier than previous Pilotwings games.
Holy crap, I didn't even realize that wind was missing when I played the Pilotwings Resort demo! Wow...you're totally right about wind increasing the difficulty of the past Pilotwings games.

Top Bottom