• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

DrForester said:
First off, I love this game. It's awesome. Pedal Glider sucks, but everything else is cool.

However I will argue that it is FAR easier than Pilotwings 64 and Pilotwings. The biggest reason is that one of the biggest challenges from the last two games is gone, and that was wind. Wind was a major pain in the previous games, and there is none present in Pilotwings resort. I will say I have not unlocked diamond (few more missions to go), so maybe it changes, but I'd imagine wind would have been there long before platinum.

Landings in this game are not very hard and are easily perfected. And in previous games, wind made that challenging. I would say the missions themselves are on par with the other Pilotwings games as far as difficulty goes. There is certainly a challenge to the missions, but the lack of wind makes perfecting them much easier than previous Pilotwings games.

God, I didnt even remember about the wind in the other games. Im calling the game difficult because perfecting the last missions is going to be horrible. I dont see so bad the pedal glider, but theres some missions of the jetpack that are really difficult (not to beat I mean), worse offender being the golden ballons one. The jetpack at least becomes the best vehicle in free mode
(super jetpack is awesome)

Im findining it more difficult than SNES pilotwings, in the last missions (maybe because they were lots of skydiving and I was really good at it). The landings with the parachute were a bit tricky becuase of the wind, but in Resot the handglider gives me the same problems even without any wind.

Kinspiracy said:
I won't bother responding to the idiotic assertion that my opinion is wrong. But if you can get 10 hours of enjoyment out of any game, it's probably worth 40 bucks to you. I'm not telling you why you should hate it. I'm telling you why I despise it. It's partly due to the lack of content, and partly due to the price tag. This game for 4.99 as a DSware download would really change my mind. I have a feeling Gamestop will have boatloads of used copies within weeks.

You can hate all you want the game for different reasons. Is not your cup of tea, thats perfect, but saying the game only lasts 2.5 hours is FALSE, because its not, not even in a mile.
As I say, people who want to really beat any 3D Mario dont leave the game after 60 stars and beating bowser, if you "beated" pilotwings like that, you are not beating the game, so the 2.5 hours you gave is not the real duration of the game. Now, you can say that for you lacks content because theres only Wuhu Island, thats totally acceptable, because its really one of the major flaws of the game.

GC|Simon said:
I need help. Where is the final "i" (number 75)?

Great game btw.

Look for a guide of WiiSports resorts, maybe you will find it that way (i think they are the same, correct me someone if im wrong). I really dont know, I still have 15 to go.

Maybe is the secret one in the
middle of the sea? (its actually in the really up in the air in the middle of the sea)
I got that one yesterday but I dont know if its i75

Wizpig

Some photos i snapped:

94453da63a714a494214aa00d487db94.JPG

1f261c86d521c73205a951ad952c31a9.JPG

e4dd9a162cf0313b2646cd219ec036f9.JPG

8becd739b7c4d9b4ede272f08246acc6.JPG

I love taking photos on this. I hope Zelda 3D has a photo mode too, like Wind Wakers. Where you can export your pics to the SD card.

My only gripe with Pilotwings photos is the artifacted images. We should be able to get them as .png or something.

Jackano

qwerty2k said:
is the free mode really have a 2min time limit? is there anyway to unlock a free mode with no time limit?
Yes, but you can extends it to at least 5min as far as I can tell.

Wizpig

Oooh the squirrel suit mission was very fun. :D

Yeah a photo mode on Zelda would be awesome.
I know all the places in the game, sure, but for example if one asks for help in a certain dungeon you could snap a photo... awesome!

Kifimbo

Might be old, but here's a spoiler, don't read if you don't wanna know a secret.

Meca Hawk is in the game, when you finish every mission of every class with 3 stars.

Rich!

Started off not being able to play Pilotwings on full 3D (just like at the event last month), but now I can play it on full just fine.

Superb game - really does feel like the previous two in a lot of ways (although I do admit, the original SNES one is still my favourite!). I've not got a single 3 star rating yet, I'm still on Gold with a lot left to do - and I've been playing for 5 hours! Bearing in mind that I can blaze through the SNES Pilotwings in merely two hours with perfect ratings, I'm satisfied.

And going onto free flight mode in a plane, hitting X, and then flying around in first person mode in full 3D is incredible! I love doing that, then flying up over the volcano, flying down it and then out through the tunnel entrance at full speed, like a boss!

Jackano

Wizpig said:
Yeah a photo mode on Zelda would be awesome.
I know all the places in the game, sure, but for example if one asks for help in a certain dungeon you could snap a photo... awesome!

The Home button allow you to take game notes (yellow pen icon) alongside a snapshot, but the "export" function only export the note itself and not the snapshot... so frustrating! I strongly hope for a full export of both 3 "screens" in a later firmware!

Wizpig

richisawesome said:
Started off not being able to play Pilotwings on full 3D (just like at the event last month), but now I can play it on full just fine.
My eyes started being watery when i played it at full 3d for the first time, but now it's not a problem.

I never experienced headaches, nausea or things like that... just watery eyes D:

My favorite Pilotwings is the N64 one because of its novelty - i never played the SNES one - and because of easter eggs like mount rushmore.

Since i never played Sports Resort Wuhu feels pretty new too, but i kind of miss some N64 isles.

Marbles

I love how the jetpack looks in 3D, its almost like a small toy hoovering just within reach.

I also love how the hang glider almost pops OUT of the screen when you brake hard. Sooo good!!

Stunning.
Just opened Silver and the game is delivering, fooking LOVE IT. The hovering Jetpack landing pads work so well in 3D, in fact the whole damn game does. It just works.

Also, the music is melting my mind as its so awesomely cool :)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The game does deliver. The only thing it is really missing due to its lean dev time is a few 3DS feature integrations. If there would have been a simple leaderboard system where you saw the times and maybe got some messages about when friends beat you in events, that would have sent it over the top. Or even just a shuffle data function where you randomly see the Mii of a selected person playing the game and see their time, if it's higher than yours. Basically the Mario Kart Wii ghost challenge system. Work up the ladder.

(Dear god, cannot wait to see what the Mario Kart team does with all this functionality.)

Yuterald

Got all 18 Red Stars in Training missions! I am really enjoying this so far. I bought three games at launch, but this was the first game I popped in. The 3D definitely made me go "whoa" when I saw the title screen for Pilotwings.

Frillen said:
Hang glider music = sex!
Yeah it's great. You can catch a few bars of the hanglider music from Pilotwings 64 at times.

I've only done the training missions and a few free flights, and I have to say I'm loving this game so far. The 3D is amazing, if you turn it off you really do lose a lot. The music is great, the graphics are excellent, the feel of flight is fantastic. Fortunately I never had Wii Sports Resort (or a Wii for that matter) so the island is still new to me.

If you love the 3D you will love the airplane diorama, holy fuck, the wing always seem to pop out A LOT outside of the screen.
And yeah, the music is awesome.

Yuterald said:
Got all 18 Red Stars in Training missions! I am really enjoying this so far. I bought three games at launch, but this was the first game I popped in. The 3D definitely made me go "whoa" when I saw the title screen for Pilotwings.

Yeah, the red stars in training medal are really easy to get, but it was satisfying when I got back to get them.
Some in the bronce ones are already a little tricky.

Raggytash

Loving this game, just need 1 location, Mii trophy and gold ring then free flight mode is done but I can't find the fuckers anywhere :/

SpacePirate Ridley said:
If you love the 3D you will love the airplane diorama, holy fuck, the wing always seem to pop out A LOT outside of the screen.

Have you unlocked the Giant candle yet? I thought it was going to take my eye out.

Neiteio

Kifimbo said:
Might be old, but here's a spoiler, don't read if you don't wanna know a secret.

Meca Hawk is in the game, when you finish every mission of every class with 3 stars.
Whoa, he's back? Really??

Elaborate: what does he look like in PWR, what does he do, what do you need to do, etc.

You know, reading the reviews, I was concerned it was not going to be that good and be done before I enjoyed it.

Thankfully I bit the bullet and got it.

Wow, this is great! The 3D really works on this game, and if you look around during replays, it is astounding how the depth really helps the scenery.

I just beat the training missions, missed perfect a couple times and will return there later. The free flight missions should be longer, frankly. If you did play the airplane mode in Wii Sports Resort to completion, you might find those a bit less entertaining than I do, but since I did not finish that, this feels fresh and delightful to try out.

I can sorta see why it got the mid 7s, from the purely content point of view. All I can say is that if this game does well, Nintendo better damn well let Monster Games make a Pilotwings sequel which ventures away from Wuhu and to some new locales!

GC|Simon

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Look for a guide of WiiSports resorts, maybe you will find it that way (i think they are the same, correct me someone if im wrong). I really dont know, I still have 15 to go.

middle of the sea? (its actually in the really up in the air in the middle of the sea)

I already got this one. At least I think so. So, is anyone else aware of the location 75?

BikoBiko

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Which part of the sea? Been searching for this point for a while!!

BikoBiko said:
Which part of the sea? Been searching for this point for a while!!

I think is between the triton's ark and poseidon's ark, passing the lighthouse, near one of the land airplane zones, but Im not really sure, is the upper part in the map (I think).

Rich!

I can't believe anyone said the game was easy and nothing more than a tech demo.

The platinum and gold challenges were pretty difficult, and getting even close to full stars on most challenges, let alone full marks, will take ages. 6 hours so far, on platinum, haven't even touched the free flight modes yet.

GC|Simon

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I think is between the triton's ark and poseidon's ark, passing the lighthouse, near one of the land airplane zones, but Im not really sure, is the upper part in the map (I think).

I found it.
It's nearly above the turbo jet starting point.

I really love this game. Played it for 7 to 8 hours now. And I'm not done yet.

I played the demo at Best Buy (my first time with a 3DS :D). My time was short so I can't make good gameplay impressions but the 3D was... Weird. I haven't seen a 3D movie since the late 90s (T2 at Universal) but I know it wasn't this blurry. I got the slider to a decent point (I do feel the slider itself is too loose) where I could see the 3D. The problem was that it didn't come naturally. I had to focus on the background a little to see the depth. The image didn't comeplely come together even then.

I guess those goes into the bad first impression, but I did see the 3D so it kinda doesn't. However I am willing to bet this is due to not being used to it.

The game gets a solid 8/10 from me. It's pretty impressive how much variety Monster Games have managed to inject into the missions, genuinely taking the series forward. I don't get how IGN found the game repetitive. It handles beautifully too and has some great music...

I think one of the reasons why the game seems so short is that it's much more forgiving than the original two games. Following gaming trends of today, there are checkpoints now. If you crash land you only lose 5 points and get to try again. No more endlessly starting from the beginning.

It would have been nice to have some of the characters from the original game(I'm talking about the instructors from the original, not the horrific mutants from 64). And yes, Nintendo is horribly, horribly cheap for giving us only one level (itself recycled.) I hope we can get a more full-featured sequel later this generation.

Totally NarNar said:
Is this one of those games that's only good to showcase the hardware, but is completely forgettable.
Banned, eh?

Anyway no, it's a great game in addition to being an excellent showcase of the 3D effect,

Rich!

A few things I do miss from Pilotwings 1, which is my favourite:

- Parachuting! Just one mission with the squirrel suit isn't enough!
- Wind
- Instructors!
- Different weather conditions (snow and ice, rain, etc)
- Speed throttle.

Boney

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Banned, eh?

Anyway no, it's a great game in addition to being an excellent showcase of the 3D effect,
he prolly got banned in the ngp thread

can't wait to get this tomorrow

Glix

This game is pretty great. I only leave the slider up a tiny bit. It gives everything depth, and looks GREAT, without bugging my eyes out.

hatchx

Banned
I love this game so far. I hope they release an update/sequel with more meat. I've clocked 2 hours and I'm already almost complete gold.

Still worth the money. The ease to play and amazing 3D is something to show off.

bender

What time is it?
richisawesome said:
Just one so far. Oh, and one major letdown too:

- NO PENGUIN JUMPING!!!

Thank you for the response. I'm guessing there is no free roam mode for the squirrel suit either?

I should just go pick this game up. It felt weird coming home with a system and no games. I even stopped by TRU and resisted the buy one get one half off sale. I'm so weak. :(

Rich!

bender said:
Thank you for the response. I'm guessing there is no free roam mode for the squirrel suit either?

I should just go pick this game up. It felt weird coming home with a system and no games. I even stopped by TRU and resisted the buy one get one half off sale. I'm so weak. :(

It's an awesome game. Get it.

MNC

Played the game a bit for demoing in a game store; was Chrono Trigger music playing in the background!?

Top Bottom