• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

mclem

Out of interest, anyone playing with 3D off?

One of the things I had real difficulty with in the original SNES Pilotwings was when you would have small thin objects to touch; I can recall a few rocket belt levels where you had to touch pillars which were just the width of the balls.

I had real difficulty with those. Lack of a frame of depth reference meant that I'd frequently be hovering just in front of or just behind them, but it was impossible to tell, so I'd dive forward and just accelerate away from them rather than running through them.

In Resort, there's a few places where there's single guide balls to touch. I suspect that without the 3D, I'd have the same issue with them I did back on the SNES. In 3D, though? No problem whatsoever.

richisawesome said:
A few things I do miss from Pilotwings 1, which is my favourite:

- Parachuting! Just one mission with the squirrel suit isn't enough!
- Wind
- Instructors!
- Different weather conditions (snow and ice, rain, etc)
- Speed throttle.

Would have been awesome to have mii recreations of the SNES instructors, and maybe also mii ones for the 64 one. Like that, we are all happy.

Fantasy Final said:
Damn, I knew that music was familiar but I wasn't able to figure it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqFbScj1mkM
OMG its nearly the same!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Theres a fucking bug in my pilotwings!

The gold handglider mission, the one where you need to go 500 m and land in 3 minutes, I did it once without getting two yellow things and landed good, and they gave me 25 points for time (istead of 50 becuase I did something like 3:10), but only got two stars.
Now I get all the yellow things, make 500m, land in fucking time and it doesnt give me the duration points, so i get only 1 fucking star doing it perfectly.

Someone has had the same promblem?, im like 1 hour trying to do all I can but it doesnt work.

EDIT:
WTF. 3:02 and they gave me 50 points (its the max)
Ok, 3 stars at last.

ONLY PLATINUM 3 STARS to get the secret. Fuck Yeah! I have 10 hours for now, of pure gaming fun.

zeioIIDX

Okay, so I've played for about 1.5 hours today. I completed Training and Bronze with 3 stars on all the missions and just unlocked Silver. To be honest, I spent a lot of the time playing Free Flight mode collection information icons and bubbles. What I'm getting at is that there is no way this is a 2 hour game like some people mentioned! I really am enjoying it though, I really hope some DLC gets added so we can have some classic missions or levels like Birdman, Cannon, Little Big States, etc.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Really enjoying Pilotwings, don't get all the negativity about it before release.

Loads to do, good music, and just really chilled like the original SNES version. I find it much more natural in 3D as well, doesn't seem right playing it in 2D.

Great time waster.

Izayoi

Banned
An easy way to cheese unlimited Free Flight is abuse the tutorial at the beginning. Works especially well if you've been spam-creating with QR codes.

dock

I've been really enjoying this game, so far I feel it's been totally under-rated by the press, or at least not fully appreciated.

pilotwingsscore.jpg

It's really interesting that you can get a perfect score, and then go for bonus points on top of perfect. It's as though they hid two more star grades within the game, but made it this way so that people didn't feel as bad with lower grades. Similar to S rank and other 'higher than A' ranks.

Maybe I'm just really bad at the game, because it takes me a while to get a perfect score on stages, but everyone else talks of being done with the game in two hours.

Izayoi

Banned
dock said:
Maybe I'm just really bad at the game, because it takes me a while to get a perfect score on stages, but everyone else talks of being done with the game in two hours.
No. Most people go for three stars and then consider that "finishing" the game.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Izayoi said:

I find just getting 3 stars enough of a challenge! I imagine most people are just seeing all the missions or getting bored before the end.

dock

It seems that this, along with Ridge Racer and Street Fighter, is really only good if you invest yourself in it. If you push yourself there's plenty of fun and challenge here. It's interesting to me that SFIV has been received so well in comparison, when it's arguably a weaker single player experience.

On the other hand, what I wouldn't do for some multiplayer Pilotwings. Imagine if other local or even internet Miis were flying around the island concurrently, even if you couldn't interact with them?

Would the general consensus of the low Metascore be that the reviewers missed the point of the game?

I'd just like the reassurance that I won't stop playing after a few days :v

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A Link to the Snitch said:
Would the general consensus of the low Metascore be that the reviewers missed the point of the game?

Not really. It's a handheld launch title. I don't think 70 on Metacritic is that outlandish for a game as 'lite' as this. It's a very good game but it's a typical launch title.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
A Link to the Snitch said:

I'd just like the reassurance that I won't stop playing after a few days :v

its not a perfect game by any means, still disappointed we only stay on one island for example. but its ok for what it is and if you like pilotwings you can still get a lot of joy out of it for sure.

I think the reviews reflect that its not for everyone

Izayoi said:

I dont think you can get 3 stars in all the medals in less than 3 hours. In some of the missions ive been trying like 30 minutes to 1 hour to get the 3 stars. (FUCK YOU HANG GLIDER 3 minutes mission)

I was kind of disappointed with it at first but this games grown on me a lot after getting to the later missions and messing around with free flight. Not sure if I'll be up for perfecting my scores but I think it'll be a great game for some quick pick up and play action every once in a while.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It is a quality product. But seriously underwhealming. No leader boards? Multiplayer? 39.99??

The gameplay, music, graphics are solid. But Nintendo really needs to work on giving the user enough content to ask for such an MSRP.

dock said:
I've been really enjoying this game, so far I feel it's been totally under-rated by the press, or at least not fully appreciated.

But that's the case with every DS game. DS gamers have different expectations of their games than the American gaming press (who seem to think that handheld games are "lesser" games) do. The 2DS isn't chock full of 90+ metacritic scored games...because most of them are just fun experiences as opposed to being packed to death with graphics, features, and online multiplayer. Despite that, people still consider the DS to be one of the best systems around period.

Jackano

I think the problem of the game can be summarized by a lack of ambition.
Probably because it needed to be here on launch day and like Excite Truck with the Wii, Monster Game did it in time but at the end the game isn't an AAA title.

Anyway, it's a good game, but probably not the best Pilotwings. I will look forward to a sequel, with more content and one or two new gameplay ideas, it can be very good.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
It is a quality product. But seriously underwhealming. No leader boards? Multiplayer? 39.99??

The gameplay, music, graphics are solid. But Nintendo really needs to work on giving the user enough content to ask for such an MSRP.
Already lasted me longer than some of the SP campaigns out there for a higher MSRP. Length is not my main concern, but lack of different islands.

Phife Dawg said:
Already lasted me longer than some of the SP campaigns out there for a higher MSRP. Length is not my main concern, but lack of different islands.

This.
If they only did one more island, something like a remake of little states, with its missions and its free mode it would have even double the play time of the game.

Only one island more would have made this game fantastic.

Edag Plata said:
But that's the case with every DS game. DS gamers have different expectations of their games than the American gaming press (who seem to think that handheld games are "lesser" games) do. The 2DS isn't chock full of 90+ metacritic scored games...because most of them are just fun experiences as opposed to being packed to death with graphics, features, and online multiplayer. Despite that, people still consider the DS to be one of the best systems around period.

Most of us DS gamers aren't stupid though. We would never have paid 40 dollars for this on the DS. I agree that reviewers/media are out of touch with what we handheld gamers enjoy, but your assertion that it's "American" media is disingenuous and wrong. There's a good game in here somewhere that's possibly worth 40 bucks, and I'm betting we'll see it eventually before the 3DS' run is over. At least I hope so. I've also been hoping for a new Pikmin game for years.

traveler

Not Wario
Ended up doing a complete turnaround on this. Wasn't going to get it because of the whole content "issue," but, thanks to $25 in Amazon credit, I bought it. I realized I have a huge enough backlog- in both games and books- as is, so getting maximum mileage shouldn't really even be a concern so much as mechanics are and this simply looks like the most fun way to show off and check out the new hardware. (Ghost Recon and SSFIV wouldn't exactly appeal to my family in the way this will and I already have the console version of SSFIV + an arcade stick to use with it) Yeah, I'm rationalizing my purchase, but, for $15, Pilotwings seems to be a fine experience.

Kinspiracy said:
Most of us DS gamers aren't stupid though. We would never have paid 40 dollars for this on the DS. I agree that reviewers/media are out of touch with what we handheld gamers enjoy, but your assertion that it's "American" media is disingenuous and wrong. There's a good game in here somewhere that's possibly worth 40 bucks, and I'm betting we'll see it eventually before the 3DS' run is over. At least I hope so. I've also been hoping for a new Pikmin game for years.

When I say American game media, I mean that they only seem to value the American standard of gaming. Like how many player online multiplayer does the game have? How epic is it? How many levels? How many weapons or vehicles? Compare that to some of the real gems of the DS years. It's a different standard. Obviously lots of people found $40 worth of value in the game as we've seen by numerous pictures people have taken of their shiny new systems with this game along with it.

Deku

Banned
While Pilot Wings looks nice, the most impressive use of 3D for me, bar-none, is the sense of depth of the 2-D island map when you review it in the 'details' option right before a mission.

I turned it off and it just looked wrong. And the eye strain is much less.

I think this is a good aesthetic use of 3D

Genius! :lol

BTW
Some little easter eggs

-In the title screen you can move the camera with the stick, but not only that you can go forward or backwards on a tour around the island in first person. Just press R or L.
In this mode try 3D at its fullest, it will work because theres no vehicle in the front and you will say WOW.

-Above the small residential houses zone in Wuhu island, you can here the Mario bros theme.

The girlfriend and I spent a few hours last night creating Mii versions of the six characters from Pilotwings 64. Interestingly a lot of the facial features had exact matches in the Mii parts list, though things would be even better if we had more control over head shape.

Not sure how well these can be used in the game, other than you picking your favourite and playing with it?

QR codes so you can import them into your DS are at:
Code:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/emsef/sets/72157626242716167/detail/

Anyway, here they are:

Goose, Hawk, Kiwi,
Lark, Robin, Ibis
5566309014_4cdd85c0e4_m.jpg
5565729585_bec593ea72_m.jpg
5565729249_f482186817_m.jpg

5566308594_ae450e4526_m.jpg
5566308876_c6013faf37_m.jpg
5565729015_ff502cc412_m.jpg

Pilotwings 64 Japanese box art:
5566337406_ee4947b2e3_z.jpg

gingerbeardman said:
The girlfriend and I spent a few hours last night creating Mii versions of the six characters from Pilotwings 64. Interestingly a lot of the facial features had exact matches in the Mii parts list, though things would be even better if we had more control over head shape.

Holy fuck, they look phenomenal!
Now it would be awesome to have the snes trainers. Although those where more plain and will not be as good.

Rich!

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Genius! :lol

BTW
Some little easter eggs

-In the title screen you can move the camera with the stick, but not only that you can go forward or backwards on a tour around the island in first person. Just press R or L.
In this mode try 3D at its fullest, it will work because theres no vehicle in the front and you will say WOW.

Or, just get into a plane (or turbo jet!), and hit X for first person view at MAXIMUM SPEEED.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Holy fuck, they look phenomenal!
Now it would be awesome to have the snes trainers. Although those where more plain and will not be as good.
The instructors from the SNES game are next on the list... we'll see how they go.

Marbles

Does anyone else find that when the 3D is switched ON everything seems a lot more colourful compared to when it's off?

I thought it was supposed to be the opposite? Maybe it's just be me.

Top Bottom