• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball FX 2 |OT|

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Its nice that they let you try the old DLC Pinball FX tables too. I even got an achievement on the SF2 trial table, it prompted me to buy the table to keep it, i didnt, and continued to play on other tables and like 5minutes later, it unlocked the achievement :lol

thundr51

I like the price of the tables. I was saving my 400 pts for Forza ultimate but they don't want my money so maybe i'll pick these up.

web01

The new pinball FX 2 specific tables are really enjoyable.

I strongly recommend getting the pinball FX 2 bundle tables for the 800 points and then buying the pinball FX 1 tables later if you need something else to play. While the Pinball FX 1tables are fun they are poorly designed compared to 2 IMO.

web01 said:
The new pinball FX 2 specific tables are really enjoyable.

I strongly recommend getting the pinball FX 2 bundle tables for the 800 points and then buying the pinball FX 1 tables later if you need something else to play. While the Pinball FX 1tables are fun they are poorly designed compared to 2 IMO.

That's great to hear, actually. I always thought that Zen Pinball was superior to Pinball FX, but now it seems that FX2 is at least equal to Zen?

zorbsie

Downloaded this before leaving to work. Can't wait to get home and check it out. How does it handle importing older tables? Is it another download? Or does it see them on your drive and just adds the physics?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Two things:

1. Major Nelson's blog comments claim you must download a title update for the original Pinball FX to import your old tables into Pinball FX2

2. The Marketplace is going haywire right now. My download for Pinball FX2 died, and it has been /removed from the marketplace entirely/ from my point of view - including on Xbox.com.

Shurs said:
If you want someone to compete with on the leaderboards, hit me up on XBL, my Gamertag is Shurs.
Will do.

Mine is ParallaxScroll. I had a lot of fun competing with gaffers on Pinball Hall of Fame; it would be fun to do the same here.

MoxManiac

Kaijima said:
Two things:

1. Major Nelson's blog comments claim you must download a title update for the original Pinball FX to import your old tables into Pinball FX2

2. The Marketplace is going haywire right now. My download for Pinball FX2 died, and it has been /removed from the marketplace entirely/ from my point of view - including on Xbox.com.

How do you do that if you don't own Pinball FX? I bought two Pinball FX tables for 200 each with the intention of using them with FX2 with no intention of getting FX.

Kaijima said:
Two things:

Weird but good to know, thanks.

Gowans

Love all the scores this tracks and how it fosters competition amongst your friends list.

I'm gona have to delete done people to add you guys.

Still need to work out what UI setup I like best, default seems a little cluttered for me.

Edit: I didn't download any update for the 1st Pinball FX and all my tables & the dlc copied over fine.

MoxManiac said:
How do you do that if you don't own Pinball FX? I bought two Pinball FX tables for 200 each with the intention of using them with FX2 with no intention of getting FX.

Should be OK as I had the SFII table & it dl'ed separately from the FX1 update.

Also no-one on my friends list has this yet so add me up if you have space GT: AJ4Seven

Sysgen

Love this series and the tables. Would like to see some licensed remakes. Would pay more for these as well. 4 new tables is like Christmas. GT:Sysgen

Zachack

MoxManiac said:
I have Bullwinkle, Creep House, and the original Pinball FX, and it downloaded the three things separately. So you should be fine.

What tables are worth getting? I demoed the underwater adventure table and liked it, and then went to the Bullwinkle table and got bored. Then I played Creep House and liked it. I suspect the old FX tables will be boring.

Also, GT: Zachack

I guess having FX 1 got me 8 tables? Not bad.

The physics seem pretty good so far, but nudging is very different from PHoF so that'll take a lot of getting used to.

Edit: Never mind, I have 4 tables (Speed Machine, Xtreme, Agents, and Buccaneer).

Dai Kaiju

The way the DLC is set up for this game on XBLM is...confusing.

*sigh* I don't think a single person on my current friend list is going to get this. If anyone could add me for leaderboards competion that would be awesome.

GT: Snuggle Mantis.

Dai Kaiju said:
The way the DLC is set up for this game on XBLM is...confusing.

*sigh* I don't think a single person on my current friend list is going to get this. If anyone could add me for leaderboards competion that would be awesome.

GT: Snuggle Mantis.

The content is designed to be obtained through the in-game store - the marketplace isn't really designed for things like free trials of every piece of content in the game.

Atomski

Pretty sure no one on my friends list will buy it either. You can add Taco Nathan but I am sure I will have awful scores :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Got it working now with one hitch: every table imported from PBFX1, except Street Fighter. It shows I don't own it, and when I select "unlock trial" I get an XBL error saying the item is unavailable.

I'll try back later on that one! Live really is asploding today.

I just hope "improved physics" means the ball actually has weight to it now and does not fly around the table like a ping pong ball. After playing The Williams Collection or something like Timeshock! for PS1 which truly have realistic ball speed/physics, the FX/Zen physics just feel unplayable. I think it's as much to do with the flipper power as it is the ball weight too.

None of my friends have the original, or will get this, so I need new friends for leaderboards and such, as well. I'm pretty terrible so have fun destroying me. :D

GT: blackMamba187

Nymerio

How is this compared to the Pro Pinball series? These games have always been my first choice, other game's tables could never quite get to same level of quality.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
A little confused. The game says it' free. So basically, are we buying individual tables or is this free thing a temporary promotion?
The game is free, it's the tables you buy. You can download the trial pack of tables for free, I think they let you play them once.

BolognaSoup said:
I just hope "improved physics" means the ball actually has weight to it now and does not fly around the table like a ping pong ball.

Hmmm. My impression of FX1 and Zen was that the ball was TOO heavy or that gravity was too high compared to Williams Classics which felt perfect. In FX1/Zen, the ball would almost never get caught in lengthy scoring sessions in the "3 round bumper" sections (sorry, my pinball terminology is not great). You'd shoot it in there either with the plunger or flippers and it might bounce once or twice before dropping out of that section like a rock toward the flippers. Ramps also seemed harder to get the ball up.

In Williams, you can get lucky and the ball will bounce around in there many times, like the real thing.

So if anything I hope FX2 has a lighter ball, or at least a more reactionary one. I've bought them all so I'm sure I'll get this too.

To those who are playing it, does the ball-physics seem improved from FX1?

Neuromancer said:
The game is free, it's the tables you buy. You can download the trial pack of tables for free, I think they let you play them once.
Alright. Thanks. That's what I thought.

Physics-wise, feels like a small step up over Zen Pinball. Visually, this is a much cleaner and more convincing-looking pinball game. The modified PFX1 tables are all better now (especially from a visual clarity standpoint), though there are some significant changes in behavior, like more constant and vicious drains on the outlanes in the previously too-easy Rocky & Bullwinkle table. As well, there seems to be a greater chance of straight drains down the center on tables with a mid- or upper playfield sinkhole that ejects with almost no force allowing straight drops. Some odd new collisions on some of the new tables...almost feels like the introduction of these changes due to the tweaked physics and ball 'n table behavior have allowed for more of a feeling of playing a rundown table with some worn-out bits in a lot of the older tables. And going by the trials, it seems like the four new tables made for PFX2 are the best showcase for the improvements and changes, though it feels like Earth Defense, Excalibur, and Street Fighter II are all upgraded from PFX1 to 2 with a Zen Pinball-feel of play. Overall, feels great even if nudging still feels wrong in the way that tables enforce tilt so easily and the effect of nudging seems inconsistent and sometimes pointless.

I wish Zen would hire some pro pinball designers as consultants, like Lawlor or Ritchie, as well as seeing about licensing real tables to recreate and then take that feel and use it across their original tables. I still prefer the Williams' Pinball Hall of Fame title from Farsight, but this is very good from what I've played. Will pick up the new tables later to try out fully. Good stuff so far.

i'm not very good at pinball, but I scores well over 50million on the SF2 table on my first go :lol
I couldn't die, my 2nd ball went for ever!

If I knew how to fight akuma (and do all the other challenges) I would've got a lot more, I need some instructions

Darklord

Banned
Why For? said:
Why are they saying this is free?

Trying to download it now at work, it's not really connecting!

Well it IS free...it just has no content. It's all DLC. I'd love to see a review that throws it back in their face by going "0/10. No content beyond the main screen."

It's just the "Game Room" model applied to Pinball. Or that "Family Game Night" thing. Both of those are "free" as well.

I don't see it as a bad thing, but I guess some people never tried those so they don't know how it works.

nli10

Neuromancer said:

Not exactly - you get the 4 new tables but you only get a set time trial on them and it's really annoying. It's not enough time to get a feel for whether I'd enjoy spending points on the thing due to not being able to build up a score or activate anything other than regular bumpers, and there are mandatory waits built in so you don't just keep redoing the trial.

I tried 3 of the tables once each one before I got bored and decided not to bother. Looks like a great set of things, but I'm not going to get a good feel for them so I'll either check it out during a sale, or never go back.

It'd be much better if you got the same short time limit and then that ball you had in play could keep going as long as you can manage it for another couple of mins. Heck if I could throw credits in like game room for a single play I'd be more likely to pay.

I'd say the physics are a massive improvement over FX 1 and Zen Pinball. Still not as good as Pinball Hall of Fame, but it's at least playable now. You can actually aim shots, but nudging is still almost useless. Let us nudge FFS!

Anyway, I think I've added everyone who's listed their gamertag so far. In case anyone missed mine:

GT: ParallaxScroll

360 just red-ringed while downloading this. Sweeeeet.

Thank god I just finished DR2 last night. Another busted 360 off to Microsoft.

Anyone know how long they take lately? I literally do it yearly, and last time it took 3 weeks.

Lothars

Darklord said:
Well it IS free...it just has no content. It's all DLC. I'd love to see a review that throws it back in their face by going "0/10. No content beyond the main screen."

How does that make any sense? you do get content heck I had Pinball FX and got 8 tables on my Pinball FX 2, so it's not like you couldn't have tables but If a reviewer ever did that than I would never read another of there reviews.

CartridgeBlower said:
360 just red-ringed while downloading this. Sweeeeet.

Thank god I just finished DR2 last night. Another busted 360 off to Microsoft.

Anyone know how long they take lately? I literally do it yearly, and last time it took 3 weeks.
A few weeks sounds about right. I am sorry for your loss.

web01

Lé Blade Runner said:
That's great to hear, actually. I always thought that Zen Pinball was superior to Pinball FX, but now it seems that FX2 is at least equal to Zen?

Well it does not have the ridiculous load times of Zen Pinball on PS3 so that is a plus.

Feature wise Zen Pinball / Pinball FX 2 tables are equal so it comes down to personal opinion about tables but im fiinding these tables very fun.

Pinball FX 2 also has cleaner, more responsive and better organised menus than Zen, hopefully they come back and update the ps3 version with an overhall which is easily possible without the title limit upsize restrictions on PS3.

Physics are MUCH improved over the original. Not much of a pinball buff but it at least resembles pinball instead of ping pong like the first one.

The FX 1 tables are as boring as ever though. Going to probably get the 800 pt pack with the Deep Sea table, which is the only new one I tried. I went back to the Rocky and Bullwinkle one from FX 1 and almost fell asleep.

Top Bottom