• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball FX 2 |OT|

TheLegendary said:
Physics are MUCH improved over the original. Not much of a pinball buff but it at least resembles pinball instead of ping pong like the first one.

The FX 1 tables are as boring as ever though. Going to probably get the 800 pt pack with the Deep Sea table, which is the only new one I tried. I went back to the Rocky and Bullwinkle one from FX 1 and almost fell asleep.
Yeah the new tables look and play so much better.

I really hope that Mars one from Zen Pinball on the PS3 makes it over.

Araxen

Banned
I'll definitely will be picking up this game today.

I keep hoping one day the devs will license the Theater of Magic table so I can play it again!

Ronabo

Yeah the physics are really improved on this. I couldn't never get multiball on the Extreme or Agents table on FX1. I got it on both within a couple minutes.

I haven't had the time to check out the new tables, but just going by the video intro of them they look fucking awesome!

I just need to get me some more points.

dejay

Banned
The new tables are quite cluttered and I don't really dig stuff that wouldn't happen in real life pinball, like magically morphing aliens. Saying that they're quite fun and I look forward to learning how to play them.

TheLegendary said:
The FX 1 tables are as boring as ever though. Going to probably get the 800 pt pack with the Deep Sea table, which is the only new one I tried. I went back to the Rocky and Bullwinkle one from FX 1 and almost fell asleep.

Rocky and Bullwinkle was always boring - shame really because it could have been so much better.

dejay said:
The new tables are quite cluttered . . .
Yeah, this is why I want some pro pinball designers to get in on this...the more saturated playfield art (which also doesn't have a real coherent and directional flow to or from the features and targets on the table) really distracts on top of the busy sea of feature props occluding the mid and upper parts of the table.

i'm liking it, but I have to agree with whoever said the unrealistic stuff put them off... I know it's a game, but that stuff it just silly, it ruins the feel.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
My god, the Wizard scores required to unlock this game's avatar items are ridiculous. I have decent scores on every table released and those added scores, plus the x13 multiplier, plus a few friends that have decent scores, still aren't enough to unlock the first award. And the threshold for the second award is 20x that!

dchavez

jizzlobber said:
i'm liking it, but I have to agree with whoever said the unrealistic stuff put them off... I know it's a game, but that stuff it just silly, it ruins the feel.

You can turn the arcade effects (ball trail etc) off in the options menu if that's what you're referring to. I much prefer the game without all that stuff...

Teppic

dejay said:
The new tables are quite cluttered and I don't really dig stuff that wouldn't happen in real life pinball, like magically morphing aliens. Saying that they're quite fun and I look forward to learning how to play them.
I agree and I haven't even played it. Unrealistic things are always a bad thing in pinball games.

Neuromancer said:
Yeah the new tables look and play so much better.

I really hope that Mars one from Zen Pinball on the PS3 makes it over.

Yeah, that Earth Defense one is also really nice, and so far I'm really digging the just released Paranormal table also (it's also getting very high ratings on PSN). Oh and the Ninja Gaiden 2 table is awesome too.

Sysgen

Played Excalibur and Earth Defense in between the Knicks and the World Series. 2 of my favorite tables which I play regularly and really haven't noticed anything different physics wise. The ability to manually scan the tables is a big plus as is the right stick launch.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
So any news on when Tournaments begin and what they detail?

Bad form to launch a game and just have one of the modes say "nothing available".

Triz

For some reason two of my paid DLC pinball fx 1 tables wont show up in fx2. (Excalibur and another one.) Keeps making me try to buy them for 200 points. Other than that the game is awesome, the ability to taunt your friends list with a simple button press is nice.

jizzlobber said:
Eh doesn't bother me, in fact the wackier the better as far as I'm concerned.

zorbsie

Played a bunch of this last night and really love it. I actually like the unrealistic animations. The old table ended up being a little stale because of it. My only real gripe with it, is you can't change tables in multiplayer. Seems weird that the host doesn't have the power to click to a menu and change tables/goals. Or am I just missing something.

dchavez said:
You can turn the arcade effects (ball trail etc) off in the options menu if that's what you're referring to. I much prefer the game without all that stuff...
I think he's referring to unrealistic table features. Stuff like the animated creature in Biolab and the aqueducts and torches in Rome. A real pinball table would never have stuff like that (if it did, it would be accomplished with lights, surface artwork, and simple toys). It definitely detracts from the pinball experience, but at the same time it can be kind of pretty (see Rome).

Anyway, I went ahead and bought all the tables except Street Fighter, which kept giving me an error message yesterday when I tried to buy.

see5harp

Multiplayer leaderboard stuff with avatar support and all of that makes this a very compelling product. This is a much better game than Zen Pinball if you play for score with friends.

U2NUMB

see5harp said:
Multiplayer leaderboard stuff with avatar support and all of that makes this a very compelling product. This is a much better game than Zen Pinball if you play for score with friends.

I bet they are working on Zen Pinball 2 for the PS3 and treating it like this.. more of a platform.

vg260

cjelly said:
Street Fighter table has a bit too much bloom. Almost hard to see the ball.

I think these devs are bloom-crazy. This one isn't as bad as their PS3 mini-golf game. That one looked atrocious with all the bloom lighting they used.

I wish the Williams classics devs did something similar to this or made DLC for their game.

see5harp

U2NUMB said:
I bet they are working on Zen Pinball 2 for the PS3 and treating it like this.. more of a platform.

The platform stuff is cool, but it's really the leaderboard stuff that has me feeling like this is a modern game. Say what you want about the look of avatars, but having a simple api to bring in visual cues to connect you to your friends was pretty brilliant. The physics and that sorta stuff don't really fell all that different than Zen Pinball to me. I'm a casual pinball player though.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Game kicks ass, I've got all the tables but haven't laid down any decent scores yet. Seeing as Gowans is the only person on my friendlist with the stones to buy the game I'm gonna have to add everyone who listed their gamertag.

My GT is Luse666, and I'll be seeing you all on the leaderboards.

I've got a decent friends list for this game filled out now, enough to fill the first page of top scores for most tables. It'll definitely add to the fun when playing this; the friends and avatar features in this game are quite good!

Feel free to add me to your friends list as well. Just click on my GAF user profile for my GT.

Oh, and just write "GAF" if you send me a request!

I fooled around with my imported SFII board this morning. I dig the graphical updates and I'll spring for the $10 board pack after I get paid tomorrow.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Umm...so where is the option to buy the Street Fighter 2(or ANY of the other Pinball FX tables) in this new hub? I only see the option to buy the new-school 4 and old-school 4 unlicensed tables.

Did they not include a 'shop for tables' button??? WTF

The game is fun and very nice looking, but the physics are still way off. The ball moves around way to fast. I really hope Williams releases another HOF Collection.

see5harp

Brandon F said:
Umm...so where is the option to buy the Street Fighter 2(or ANY of the other Pinball FX tables) in this new hub? I only see the option to buy the new-school 4 and old-school 4 unlicensed tables.

Did they not include a 'shop for tables' button??? WTF

The marketplace is all sorts of screwy since they starting rolling out new stuff yesterday, but right on the main page there should be an entry for every playable machine. When I tried to buy the Street Fighter machine, though, it gave me an error.

Mrbob

Gillian Seed said:
The game is fun and very nice looking, but the physics are still way off. The ball moves around way to fast. I really hope Williams releases another HOF Collection.

Yeah I tried the demo last night and the ball physics didn't seem to be a huge jump over Zen Pinball. Maybe a little better perhaps but I couldn't tell a big difference. I do still enjoy the games despite the physics being slightly off. I'm torn though because I'd love to bring my Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 table into the new game and this one isn't available on 360. Is Pinball FX2 (or Zen Pinball 2) coming to PSN anytime soon? These staggered releases on both platforms are confusing to me.

see5harp

Mrbob said:
Yeah I tried the demo last night and the ball physics didn't seem to be a huge jump over Zen Pinball. Maybe a little better perhaps but I couldn't tell a big difference. I do still enjoy the games despite the physics being slightly off. I'm torn though because I'd love to bring my Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 table into the new game and this one isn't available on 360. Is Pinball FX2 (or Zen Pinball 2) coming to PSN anytime soon? These staggered releases on both platforms are confusing to me.

Assuming their new engine is compatible with all previous tables, I would think that just selling the same tables for both platforms is what they will do in the future.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Come on PSN release I own all the Zen tables and want to give you my money and I hate turning on my loud jet engine 360.

Mrbob

I think they would since you have to buy them through the xbox live marketplace anyway. Is there any stipulations on the xbox live points deal which would restrict them?

ghostmind said:
None of the tables imported for me, and I don't see anywhere that I can force the import.

Great.

Owning the old stuff under a different gamertag than you own the new game will also cause problems. I think if you sign in under the old gamertag, they will import properly.

If you still have problems, Xbox support is the way to go, since it is a Marketplace issue.

Gowans

Baka Zeitgeist said:
Game kicks ass, I've got all the tables but haven't laid down any decent scores yet. Seeing as Gowans is the only person on my friendlist with the stones to buy the game I'm gonna have to add everyone who listed their gamertag.

My GT is Luse666, and I'll be seeing you all on the leaderboards.
;)

I will take that Superscore crown from you once again! Mark my words!

Bru

Had a quick blast with this last night and loved it!
PBFX 1 got a ton of playtime in our house but this new edition improves it in every way.

See you online :D

Gamertag: bru

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
which has the best set of tables,

classic or core? both are 800. Want to get this and N+ to round out the 2400 point deal

acm2000

i love the new highscore setup in this, not bought the new tables yet, but havent had a chance to try them all, just quickly played the classic ones

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
cjelly said:
Yes, by a country mile.

I wish they'd split up the old tables for individual purchase. Speed Machine and Agents were pretty good, but I just can't recommend anything that comes with Extreme. Buccaneer might be okay if the scoring was changed so the big score events weren't practically impossible to trigger.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
core it is, thanks cjelly/shig

purchased.

Top Bottom