• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork.com: The Top 50 Albums of 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

-Eddman- said:
The only album worth a damn in that list is Titus Andronicus.

2q1z68y.jpg

-Eddman-

ATF487 said:
:-\

Still don't get the intense love for this one. I prefer The Airing of Grievances by a comfortable margin

I must admit that I haven't heard anything from Titus aside from The Monitor, but it was enough to find a constant place in my playlist, and I'm more of a "everything new sucks, rock was good in the 70's/90's" type of guy.

A more perfect union is one of the catchiest songs i've heard in the whole year. I must thank GAF for the recommendation.

Edit: I was interested in Plastic Beach, but for any reason I didn't buy it. I really liked the first Gorillaz album but Demon Days not so much... What should I expect from the new one?

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Complaining about anything hipster in a Pitchfork thread is like coming into an NBA thread and complaining about black people.

...Is this kosher, if I'm black?
No complaints from me. My list looks pretty similar except with Teen Dream at the top and Warpaint in the top five also.

Spider from Mars said:
No complaints from me. My list looks pretty similar except with Teen Dream at the top and Warpaint in the top five also.

Warpaint missing from the top 50 is a gawd damned travesty. Among my top 5, easily. Janelle Monae and The ArchAndroid takes my top spot and heart

The M.O.B

Zoramon089 said:
Why does no one recognize this?!

The-Roots-How-I-Got-Over-540x357.jpg

I'm with you on that, album is great.

Jangocube said:
:lol

#1 is Kanye :lol

:lol

Damn that CD is so overrated.

:lol ................................ gtfo

You guys should be more disgusted that Drake's POS album is actually up there.

goldlion054 said:
Warpaint missing from the top 50 is a gawd damned travesty. Among my top 5, easily. Janelle Monae and The ArchAndroid takes my top spot and heart

Agree with this post, I also liked Age of Adz more than P4K, but overall a decent list, can't really complain.

-Eddman-

Cosmic bus pic made me laugh even though I like some (emphasis on that) Newsom stuff :lol

It's weird, I liked the music and arrangements in "Ys" but the voice was "not my taste" just to say something. Then, in the new album she sounds better but the songs are not as good, meh.

Calcaneus

I love Kanye's album, but its just a really good album. I don't know if it really deserves to be Pitchfork's only Hip Hop 10.0 (IIRC).

HiResDes

PhoenixDark said:
I love that song, but Cosmia takes the cake for me.

:D...That's my favorite song too, the live performance is near angelic. Although, I didn't like the new album much. I hated Joanna Newsom for about three years after I first heard Y's. Then I saw a live performance of Cosmia and it all clicked.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
People really like this Kayne West guy huh? I listened to him back around the College Drop-Out days but since then his awful personality has killed any potential interest I could have. At least they listed Flying Lotus, although he was 14 spots too low.

oh well

Snuggler said:
People really like this Kayne West guy huh? I listened to him back around the College Drop-Out days but since then his awful personality has killed any potential interest I could have. At least they listed Flying Lotus, although he was 14 spots too low.

oh well

i knew i liked you for a reason.

HiResDes

Snuggler said:

oh well

His awful personality stopped you from listening to his music despite all of the praise? Do you abstain from listening to Richard Wagner as well :lol

-Eddman- said:
Cosmic bus pic made me laugh even though I like some (emphasis on that) Newsom stuff :lol

It's weird, I liked the music and arrangements in "Ys" but the voice was "not my taste" just to say something. Then, in the new album she sounds better but the songs are not as good, meh.

I agree about the voice but I feel like the songs on her new album are very good. It's a triple album so everything is not great, but it's extremely even imo. Some of the melodies are stunning. In California, Baby Birch, the title song, Easy, Good Inventions Paving Co, Does Not Suffice, etc. amazing shit

Her voice on Ys is fine to me. It's a bit grating on the first album, and I certainly wouldn't listen to them on very loud volume but it's definitely a damn good album.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think there is a bad song on Have One On Me. Not sure which is the best though. Does Not Suffice blows my mind every time I hear it, it's genius.

HiResDes

Anyway I think Cosmogramma and MBDF both share similar problems in that are kind of all over the place and lack cohesion. Cosmogramma might have the highs that give the album a greater wow factor than his last album, but overall it is indeed a step down. If you really like Flying Lotus go back and listen to Los Angeles and you'll realize that's how an album should be put together. Each song flows infinitely better, and there's this album organic evolution that occurs from track to track. Los Angeles emphasizes and evokes a certain mood while Cosmogramma feels almost schizophrenic.

Bread

Banned
Mutagenic said:
35. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
34. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
25. Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
14. Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
11. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
5. Beach House - Teen Dream
4. Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
1. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
All awesome albums

Papa

Banned
HAL_Laboratory said:
I own about 85% of that list.

Fuck Pitchfork though. Pretentious hipsters.

As opposed to hipsters who aren't pretentious?

I know what you mean though :p

LOZLINK

Man, Pitchfork sucks ass at hip hop choices. Drake over Kno, Roots, Nas & Damien, even Reflection Eternals outing was better. Fuck, no cee lo on there either.

Pitchfork makes me want to puke. I'm surprised they were able to devote enough time to assembling a Top 50 list, since they're usually too busy kissing the ground Thom Yorke walks on.

HiResDes

LOZLINK said:
Man, Pitchfork sucks ass at hip hop choices. Drake over Kno, Roots, Nas & Damien, even Reflection Eternals outing was better. Fuck, no cee lo on there either.

When it comes to hip-hop, GAF-Hop > Pitchfork. Oh and they snubbed Cee-Lo so bad this year, giving Lady Killer a fucking low 7. Otherwise though their list isn't that bad. Certainly not bad enough to warrant all of the blind pitchfork hate, which is really just blind "hipster" hate. Rolling Stones' top album list is fucking atrocious in comparison.

Edit: Oh and Real Talk, The Juan Maclean's Future Will Come > LCD's This is Happening

bucknuticus said:
Glad to see LCD on there, especially #2. I really enjoy him.
I don't get it. I loved Sounds of Silver but this album seemed really phoned in, yet it's number two. Read their blurb: tl;dr he did something different and thus it was a good decision.

every lcd soundsystem song ever:

"oh my god i'm old oh my god i don't understand these kids these days new york oh my god new york oh my god have you seen my record collection"

ATF487

minor effort said:
every lcd soundsystem song ever:

"oh my god i'm old oh my god i don't understand these kids these days new york oh my god new york oh my god have you seen my record collection"

minor effort

Mully

Zoramon089 said:
Why does no one recognize this?!

The-Roots-How-I-Got-Over-540x357.jpg

Agreed. Radio Daze and Dear God 2.0 are two of the best songs I have heard in years.

They got a lot right, especially Kanye. They missed a few like Omni by Minus the Bear. Secret Country alone makes that album legendary.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
HiResDes said:
His awful personality stopped you from listening to his music despite all of the praise? Do you abstain from listening to Richard Wagner as well :lol

and I mean this seriously

who in the fuck is Richard Wagner?

googled, oh just some guy

he sounds more interesting than Kayne at least...

It's not just the personality, although it is terrible enough to be a major factor for me. I've listen to some of his hits and they just do nothing for me. Maybe if without his voice and some rapper instead it would work, but he's just so nauseating that I can't even bother with it.

see5harp

HiResDes said:
When it comes to hip-hop, GAF-Hop > Pitchfork. Oh and they snubbed Cee-Lo so bad this year, giving Lady Killer a fucking low 7. Otherwise though their list isn't that bad. Certainly not bad enough to warrant all of the blind pitchfork hate, which is really just blind "hipster" hate. Rolling Stones' top album list is fucking atrocious in comparison.

Edit: Oh and Real Talk, The Juan Maclean's Future Will Come > LCD's This is Happening

I sorta agree with that statement but 90% of GAF-HOP doesn't even know who Beach House is. Rick Ross, Big Boi and Kanye all make my top 50 EASILY so I'm not sure how wrong they are. I also agree that FlyLo should be lower and Julian Lynch makes my list easily. I would sub James Blake and How To Dress Well because I can't really say I enjoyed either of those albums very much. Actually I'd probably have Glasser in my list somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom