• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork.com: The Top 50 Albums of 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
No surprises here. Not gonna complain about x album being on there and y album not, because it doesn't fucking matter.

Like the list overall. Suck it, haters.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Any hipster worth his weight in fair trade coffee knows Pitchfork isn't cool anymore.

K.Sabot

Deerhunter robbed! Gonjasufi robbed!

Sleigh Bells too high! I like where LCD Soundsystem is (forever at #2). James Blake's 3 EPs being so high is a mighty surprise, I have a feeling they might over hype him.

Also, the Monitor needed to be a bit higher.

Oh and take Kanye off of top 10.

LISTS BABY

Also also, why do they devote the least amount of words to their #1 pick? Smells like they buried themselves with that 10.

MrSerrels

Glad Beach House made top 5 because that album is awesome.

But GAF is correct - Pitchfork doesn't know hip hop. The Roots really did put out one of the best albums of their career.

Didn't like Cosmogramma at all - and I actually thing The Suburbs should have been higher.

Also - The Dream's album is fucking shithouse, I've no idea why that gets so much love.

DominoKid

Kanye won and deservedly so.

I'm still a flummoxed by they Big Boi love though. dont get me wrong, its a great album, but it seems like a lot of the media praise is like "sorry we all called you Andre's sidekick."

That LCD album shouldnt even be on the list. Their work just abysmally boring

really glad though that APHG didnt get #1 like I was expecting. That would've done a great disservice to those who do what he does WAAAAAAAAAY better.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't understand. I just don't.

Why the fuck do you all care so much about what pitchfork has to say if you all hate their opinions because x is higher than y? How many of you have actually listened to the top 50 albums listed? Sue me for finding it odd people continuing to berate a critic they hold in such high regard.

Don't know how well Kanyes album compares to those others but its definitely my album of the year. Its too well composed not to be.

In b4 someone telling me a better composed album.

K.Sabot

enzo_gt said:
I don't understand. I just don't.

Why the fuck do you all care so much about what pitchfork has to say if you all hate their opinions because x is higher than y? How many of you have actually listened to the top 50 albums listed? Sue me for finding it odd people continuing to berate a critic they hold in such high regard.
Of all the albums listed I have only missed:

Rick Ross :lol
Forest Swords
That Love King guy :lol
Zola Jesus

So I guess my bases are covered in terms of having my own opinion.

Also, to answer your first question, because it's fun.

Dabanton

That's a pretty solid list most of the stuff i've really liked this year is on there. Especially pleased to see.

bastardcover.png

The whole OFWGKTA is moving along nicely hiphop GAF should go and check them out certainly more interesting than nonsense like Lil B.

forget.jpg

This is probably ,my favourite album of the year. Like the very best it rewards repeated listens and while it has an 80's new wave feel George Lewis Jr adds a refreshing spin on it. Can't wait to see him tour in the UK in 2011.

lovekingartwork1.jpg

Very happy to see this on here The Dream has always delivered superior R&B but this album all his sonic ideas seem to have been pushed even further seriously great sounding album

archandroidcover.jpg

So happy that people finally 'got' Janelle and brought into her world. Metropolis 'Chase Suite' was so beautiful that she took that and then made Suites II and III even better is just astounding again like all the other albums i've picked up it has a sound that marks her out immediately.

K.Sabot

Dabanton said:
That's a pretty solid list most of the stuff i've really liked this year is on there. Especially pleased to see.
Tyler the Creator
The whole OFWGKTA is moving along nicely hiphop GAF should go and check them out certainly more interesting than nonsense like Lil B.
Especially surprised considering that there isn't even a review for it on the site.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Pinko Marx said:
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy? moar liek My Overrated Easy Self-Esteem Boost.

AMIRITE
Pfft whatever, I sent her a picture of my dick.

Run away from me baby!

1223124124agqi.gif

I kinda knew it was time to stop paying too much attention to PF lists when they did their Top Albums of the 2000s list.

The Glow Pt. 2 was good enough to get Album of the Year back in 2001, but can't break higher than 73 on their decade list? How jerk.

Cohsae

minor effort said:
I kinda knew it was time to stop paying too much attention to PF lists when they did their Top Albums of the 2000s list.

The Glow Pt. 2 was good enough to get Album of the Year back in 2001, but can't break higher than 73 on their decade list? How jerk.
It's almost as if their opinions and/or staff changed over the decade.

kottila

Flynn said:
How do you claim to give a damn about music and have no awareness of most of the bands on that list?

because people listen to different types of music and have different sets of finding new music. There is a lot of music that is never mentioned by Pitchfork.

I listen to a lot of music every day and follow music news and reviews and have still only heard about 30 of the top 50 and there are many among those 30 where I couldn't even tell you what type of music they make (even though, I could probably make an educated guess)

Flynn

kottila said:
because people listen to different types of music and have different sets of finding new music. There is a lot of music that is never mentioned by Pitchfork.

Of course. But if you truly like music cast a wide net. Its not like Pitchfork is the ONLY place that mentions these bands.

kottila

Flynn said:
Of course. But if you truly like music cast a wide net. Its not like Pitchfork is the ONLY place that mentions these bands.

come on. It's mostly white american indie-music, which I find quite boring Hardly any European music or hard rock/metal/rap etc.

Flynn

kottila said:
come on. It's mostly white american indie-music, which I find quite boring Hardly any European music or hard rock/metal/rap etc.

Kylesa is probably the heaviest record on there and is quite good. You're right about it being mostly white though. But the exceptions make up for it. Gil Scott Heron.

Dabanton

Here's the Guardian top 40 albums of 2010

1 Janelle Monáe The ArchAndroid

2 Kanye West My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

3 Hot Chip One Life Stand

4 Arcade Fire The Suburbs

5 These New Puritans Hidden

6 Caribou Swim

7 Robyn Body Talk

8 Laura Marling I Speak Because I Can

9 Ariel Pink Before Today

10 John Grant Queen of Denmark

11 Beach House Teen Dream

12 Sleigh Bells Treats

13 Gil Scott-Heron I'm New Here

14 Yeasayer Odd Blood

15 Warpaint The Fool

16 The-Dream Love King

17= Anaïs Mitchell Hadestown

17= Drake Thank Me Later

19 Kelis Fleshtone

20 The National High Violet

21 LCD Soundsystem This Is Happening

22= Ikonika Contact, Love, Want, Have

22= Gayngs Related

24 Vampire Weekend Contra

25= Gorillaz Plastic Beach

25= Avi Buffalo Avi Buffalo

27 Big Boi Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty

28 Joanna Newsom Have One on Me

29= Paul Weller Wake Up the Nation

29= Steve Mason Boys Outside

31 Titus Andronicus The Monitor

32 Erykah Badu New Amerykah Part Two (Return of the Ankh)

33 Ali Farka Touré and Toumani Diabaté Ali and Toumani

34 Rihanna Loud

35= MIA MAYA

35= Plan B The Defamation of Strickland Banks

37 MGMT Congratulations

38= Nicki Minaj Pink Friday

38= Glasser Ring

40 I Am Kloot Sky at Night

Pitchfork produced a list dominated by mainstream hip-hop and indie rock. How surprising.

BobbyRobby said:
Music journalism is embarrassing. I always feel like the author is trying way too hard.

Frank Zappa said:
Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read.

At least Ariel Pink's album is in the top-ten. I'm shocked by the Roots not making the list. Dear God 2.0 and Radio Daze are freaking godlike. Rick Ross over the Roots doesn't make sense. And where the fuck is the Broken Bells album? That's one amazing album. Not surprising that Conway West is number one on a shitty list. Shitty Album is number 1 on a shitty list? Makes sense to me.

C4Lukins

Flynn said:
How do you claim to give a damn about music and have no awareness of most of the bands on that list?

Well there were thousands upon thousands of albums released last year. And considering the extremely narrow range of taste that Pitchfork has, it is not at all hard to imagine someone not knowing the majority of those names. I have heard of more then half of those bands, but probably only listened to a half dozen of those albums.

teepo

C4Lukins said:
Well there were thousands upon thousands of albums released last year. And considering the extremely narrow range of taste that Pitchfork has, it is not at all hard to imagine someone not knowing the majority of those names. I have heard of more then half of those bands, but probably only listened to a half dozen of those albums.

wait... did you seriously use the word narrow and then went ahead and admitted your own ignorance?

C4Lukins

teepo said:
wait... did you seriously use the word narrow and then went ahead and admitted your own ignorance?

no. I can only probably adequately digest a couple of dozen new albums each year, and then I have an excessive backlog of music from the past 50 years that I am still trying to work my way through. Outside of maybe 4 artists on that entire list, none of them are mainstream or widely popular at least in the US. To claim that someone cannot care about music because their tastes or general knowledge of those bands on that list is limited is plain elitist bull shit.

A little disappointed Frightened Rabbit didn't find a spot on the list, but on the other hand, why should I give a fuck about what other people think about music?

Dabanton said:

Wait, Odd Future? Aren't those the guys that hipsters try and cerebrally justify them rapping about rape all the time? Or am I thinking about someone else....

Anyway, their Top 100 Tracks is way better then the Top 50 Albums. Not a bad song on there. Except this one by some weird hipster douchebag rapping about rape all the time.

AIRic

Wow! This shows how disconnected from modern music I am. I only know/heard about 3 artists on that list. Is it a very varied list of music style or mostly some rock/pop?

Shurs

For me, this was a pretty disappointing year for music.

I find nothing objectionable about the list, though I would have liked to have seen Darwin Deez in there somewhere, even if he is a gimmicky fuck.

I cant remember the last time I've actually read a music review.

2011 looks promising.

minor effort said:
every lcd soundsystem song ever:

"oh my god i'm old oh my god i don't understand these kids these days new york oh my god new york oh my god have you seen my record collection"

My view towards LCD Soundsystem was ambivalent.

However, the lyrical theme that you describe sounds awesome.

I am now a fan.

No Roots? No Cudi? No Broken Bells? No MGMT? Well okay then.

But I won't sit and complain at length about the list...complaining about P4K lists is so 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom