• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork.com: The Top 50 Albums of 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Brandnewvolcano, I'm finally gonna ask. What's going on in your avatar?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
HiResDes said:
I have to ask you something, is your last name Tatham?
Nope, wrong Mattie.

I admit that the Kanye album is pretty good, but a 10? a TEN! a 9.3 or something would be reasonable and understandable but making it a 10 is just a slap in the face. There is no way anyone in the world (unless they really loved kanye and hated alternative rock/electronic/indie pop?) would say that this kanye album is better than at least 5 other albums on that list. Also I stopped going to pitchfork after Mumford and sons got a 2... Even if you hate that genre, the album is not a 2

Equus Bellator Apex

arts&crafts said:
I admit that the Kanye album is pretty good, but a 10? a TEN! a 9.3 or something would be reasonable and understandable but making it a 10 is just a slap in the face. There is no way anyone in the world (unless they really loved kanye and hated alternative rock/electronic/indie pop?) would say that this kanye album is better than at least 5 other albums on that list. Also I stopped going to pitchfork after Mumford and sons got a 2... Even if you hate that genre, the album is not a 2
40692897.gif

Cyan

Banned
arts&crafts said:
Also I stopped going to pitchfork after Mumford and sons got a 2... Even if you hate that genre, the album is not a 2
Wait... really? Huh. I guess that explains why it's not on the list. Wow.

Talon

Contra was a great album. So was My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Probably my two most listened to albums of the year.

I love Arcade Fire and Sufjan Stevens, but I was meh on their albums this year. Sprawl II is a fantastic song within itself.

Cannot stand APHG to be honest.

Mumford and Sons is blah. Their review lambasted it as being manufactured folk pop...which it really is. Flannel Nickelback wouldn't be too far off.

Talon

Also, you must either be a teen or blind to have expected any sort of consistency from Pitchfork's album reviews. They're ad-hoc yet formulaic. I forget who it was - maybe Stereogum - that did a parody Pitchfork review that was absolutely spot-on.

HiResDes

butter_stick said:
MGMT had album of the year, screw Pitchfork, removing bookmark.
Removing my faith in butter stick's taste

@Talon - Yeah I read that Stereogum review it was great. Pitchfork are horrible when it comes to giving into fads and also at reviewing hip-hop, but there are some good writers there.

Cyan

Banned
Talon- said:
Mumford and Sons is blah. Their review lambasted it as being manufactured folk pop...which it really is. Flannel Nickelback wouldn't be too far off.
Heh. Ouch. Maybe I'm the only one who liked it, but I got a kick out of it. Definitely in my top albums of the year list.

Not a high bar, of course, given how many albums I've actually bought.

Talon

Cyan said:
Heh. Ouch. Maybe I'm the only one who liked it, but I got a kick out of it. Definitely in my top albums of the year list.

Not a high bar, of course, given how many albums I've actually bought.
No, no I didn't want to give the impression that it was horrible music at all. It's melodic folk music that's easy to listen to.

The point was to say that it was very formulaic. And the lyrics. My God those lyrics.

The Fall's Mark E Smith has claimed that he threw a bottle at Mumford and Sons at a recent festival.

The singer said that he took matters into his own hands because he did not like the sound of Marcus Mumford and the gang warming up their vocals.

"We were playing a festival in Dublin the other week," he told Australian magazine Brag. "There was this other group warming up in the next sort of chalet, and they were terrible."

He added: "I said, 'Shut them cunts up,' and they were still warming up, so I threw a bottle at them. The band said, 'That's the Sons Of Mumford [sic] or something, they're Number Five in charts!'. I just thought they were a load of retarded Irish folk singers."

The Fall and Mumford and Sons were both on the bill for the Electric Picnic festival, which took place near Dublin last month.

lol

HiResDes

Error said:
High Violet should've been higher, and MBDTF at number 1 is deserved.

The National are one of the most boring bands of all time, like I can't even say I dislike them, I'm just so indifferent toward them...It's almost worse.

WEGGLES

Flynn said:
Here's sound scan data for their top fifty so you can see just how obscure (and underappreciated) some of these records are.

Source
What are these numbers?

Total sales?

I'd hope The Monitor would've sold better than that :{

Same with King of the Beach

Talon

HiResDes said:
The National are one of the most boring bands of all time, like I can't even say I dislike them, I'm just so indifferent toward them...It's almost worse.
Agreed. I bought it hoping it would change my mind over a couple of listens...but nothing happened.

And this from a guy that loves Grizzly Bear and Beirut!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The only album on that list that I've really listened to is No Age's Everything in Between, and yeah, it's one of my favorites of the year. Just downloaded Plastic Beach by the Gorillaz and Innerspeaker by Tame Impala. First impressions: PB is total snoozeville, but Innerspeaker is really great.

Flynn

WEGGLES said:
What are these numbers?

Total sales?

I'd hope The Monitor would've sold better than that :{

Same with King of the Beach

It would be REALLY depressing if they were total sales. I'm not sure how they're reported though. The wiki for Soundscan says they're reported weekly.

Secks4Food said:
My favorite album on that list received the second to least amount of sales :(

Even for you gaffers that typically don't listen to metal, you might like Kylesa's "Spiral Shadow"; why not give them a listen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgdqizS5wCA

Yeah, it is criminal that Kylesa isn't selling records. They're great. And for the last month, at least, you could get the new one for five bucks at Amazon mp3.

GhaleonQ

Talon- said:
and Sufjan Stevens, but I was meh on their albums this year.

Not even All Delighted People? Stevens isn't as good a composer as he thinks he is, but I still adore him, I thought the E.P. topped the L.P., and From The Mouth Of Gabriel is 1 of his best songs.

HiResDes said:
Honestly, I thought that for much of the year. I called it boring and didn't understand the hype for a few months, but I stuck with it and one day it clicked. I don't typically give up on an album after a couple of listens, especially when it's getting so much attention. Some of my favourite albums (Kid A, Ys) took nearly a year before clicking with me. High Violet is probably is my top 3 of the year now.

Hellcrow

I can't wrap my head around what music pitchfork reviews. From what I see, they are very selective. Or they just hate metal.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
HiResDes said:
At first I was indifferent on them, too. But they grew on me a lot. High Violet was amazing to me.

But I don't tend to make put my tastes in music over someone else, music is one of the most subjective things in the world. That's why I don't participate in music threads that much.

Talon

GhaleonQ said:
Not even All Delighted People? Stevens isn't as good a composer as he thinks he is, but I still adore him, I thought the E.P. topped the L.P., and From The Mouth Of Gabriel is 1 of his best songs.
Yeah, I should have specified Age of Adz. I liked All Delighted People.

Just didn't measure up to Michigan and Illinoise.
MightyHealthy said:
I like the Big Boi love. Underappreciated album if you ask me.
Agreed. Maybe the most cohesive album of the year.

Flynn

Hellcrow said:
I can't wrap my head around what music pitchfork reviews. From what I see, they are very selective. Or they just hate metal.

They have one or two metal critics that hit some of the genre high points -- mostly stuff with hipster crossover like Agalloch. They've put stuff like Mastodon and Sunn 0)) on their annual list. Monoliths and Dimensions ranked very high if I remember right.

Acidote

I've just started a "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" playlist on spotify, never heard it. Brb in a couple hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom