• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

oGZu8gS.png

Introduction (Headquarters)
Welcome to Headquarters! This OT is where we run GAF’s reactions to this new Pixar movie, Inside Out. Director Pete Docter has taken you to a sophisticated monster world and to the deep untamed South American jungle, but now he will take you to the most terrifying location yet: the mind of a human girl named Riley.

Plot (Core Memories)
Riley, an 11-year-old girl, is guided by her emotions, Joy, Sadness, Fear, Anger, and Disgust. These emotions live in Headquarters, running Mission Control and advising Riley’s everyday life. When Riley has to move from her small town to the urban metropolis known as San Francisco, she must depend on her emotions to guide her through this difficult time. Disaster strikes when Sadness accidentally causes Joy and herself to get lost within the rest of Riley’s Mind. As Joy and Sadness try to find their way back to Headquarters while dealing with their obvious, Fear, Anger, and Disgust must guide Riley in her new, terrifying city.

Release Dates (Mission Control)
On a very cool note, Pixar is hosting a question and answer with Pete Docter and behind the scenes advance showings nationwide. For one night only on June 16, you can attend a Fathom event at 7pm local time, with all the local Pixar nerds.

General Information (Long-Term Memory)
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Pixar Animation Studios.
Distributed by Walt Disney Studios.
Running time 94 minutes
Language - English
Director: Pete Docter (Up, Monsters, Inc.)
Producer: Jonas Rivera (Up, Cars))
Written by: Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve (upcoming writer of Captain Marvel), Josh Cooley (George and AJ, upcoming director of Toy Story 4)
Music by: Michael Giacchino (Up, Ratatouille)

Short Film (Canyon of the Mind)
IF83bv0.jpg

Lava is a musical love story about volcanos. Yep, sounds like a Pixar short. Following two volcanos named Uke and Lele and set over millions of years, the film is directed by James Ford Murphy, making his short debut.

Characters (Imagination Land)

Joy
”We can’t focus on what’s going wrong; there’s always a way to turn things around!”

Joy's goal has always been to make sure Riley stays happy. She is lighthearted, optimistic and determined to find the fun in every situation. Joy sees challenges in Riley's life as opportunities, and the less happy moments as hiccups on the way back to something great. As long as Riley is happy, so is Joy. Joy is voiced by Amy Poehler.

Sadness
“I wanted to maybe hold one...”

None of the other Emotions really understand what Sadness's role is. Sadness would love to be more optimistic and helpful in keeping Riley happy, but she finds it so hard to be positive. Sometimes it seems like the best thing to do is just lie on the floor and have a good cry. Sadness is voiced by Phyllis Smith.

Fear
“Nothing is working, why isn’t it working??”

Fear’s main job is to protect Riley and keep her safe. He is constantly on the lookout for potential disasters, and spends time evaluating the possible dangers, pitfalls and risk involved in Riley’s everyday activities. There are very few activities and events that Fear does not find to be dangerous and possibly fatal. Fear is voiced by Bill Hader.

Anger
“Can I say that curse word now?”

Oh, look, it’s my current avatar. Anger feels very passionately about making sure things are fair for Riley. He has a fiery spirit and tends to explode (literally) when things don't go as planned. He is quick to overreact and has little patience for life's imperfections. Anger is voiced by Lewis Black.

Disgust
“When I'm through, Riley will look so good the other kids will look at their own outfits and barf.”

Disgust is highly opinionated, extremely honest and prevents Riley from getting poisoned — both physically and socially. She keeps a careful eye on the people, places and things that Riley comes into contact with — whether that's broccoli or last year's fashion trend. Disgust always has the best of intentions and refuses to lower her standards. Disgust is voiced by Mindy Kaling.

Riley

The emotions’ world revolves around Riley, an average girl. Well, not so average – she loves hockey, her parents, and snow cones. She relies (heh, that’s funny, because RILEY) on her emotions a lot to get through her life, but she experiences joy the most of her emotions. Riley is voiced by Kaitlyn Dias.

Riley’s Parents

Riley’s parents love their daughter very much. They support her in her hockey endeavors, and they’re the cause of the happy Anderson family. That said, Riley’s dad caused the move to San Francisco, and that may cause a little dysfunction along the way. Riley’s parents are voiced by Diane Lane and Kyle MacLachlan

Reviews (Dream Production)

This latest conceptually out-there creation from Pete Docter (Monsters, Inc.; Up) serves up some abstractions and flights of deconstructive fancy that will most likely go over the heads of viewers with ages in the single digits. But this adventurous outing manages the great Pixar trick of operating on two levels — captivating fun for kids, disarming smarts for adults — that sets the studio apart.
- Todd McCarthy, The Hollywood Reporter

On paper, “Inside Out” sounded like another lunatic gamble: an adventure that takes place entirely within the head of an 11-year-old girl, featuring her Emotions as characters — although if anyone could pull off a logline like that, it would be the team that made us care about rats who cook, toys that bond, and robots who fall in love. Sure enough, in execution, Pixar’s 15th feature proves to be the greatest idea the toon studio has ever had: a stunningly original concept that will not only delight and entertain the company’s massive worldwide audience, but also promises to forever change the way people think about the way people think, delivering creative fireworks grounded by a wonderfully relatable family story.
- Peter Debruge, Variety

These kinds of things used to be synonymous with the studio — almost a given, the jewels on its animation crown. Inside Out might not be in the same bracket as Toy Story, Wall-E, and Up, but it is still more than simply a return to their glory days. It is a thoroughly funny, sad, and profound piece of work, with plenty of comforting things to say about growing up and feeling down. The Cannes crowd was rapturous. One can only imagine the effect it might have on a young child.
- Rory O'Connor, The Film Stage

And there's plenty more on Rotten Tomatoes, where it has a stellar 100% with 24 reviews!

O5wvtac.gif

Maximo

Im more excited to see this then my girlfriend, she wants to see Mad Max again hahaha. Haven't seen a new Pixar movie for awhile now im pretty hyped.

Choomp

Banned
Sweet OT! Can't wait to see the movie. And gosh dang I almost forgot about Lava! I feel like it's been way too long for one of these Pixar movies, it's gonna be great.

Amir0x

Banned
This movie is supposed to be an amazing return to form for Pixar. My friend can't stop raving about this film. Says it's arguably their best movie.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Copy/pasting my brief thoughts from the other thread:

Got to see this today. Definitely one of the stronger Pixar entries of recent times, with some very clever higher concepts and use of those concepts for smart humour (both script and visual gags). Conceptually very clever as a whole which gives the film a lot of creativity to explore. If I were to critique any parts it would be that the pacing is a little bit off at times, I think because it has to handle essentially two (or three if you want to stretch it) stories happening at once, and the outside world events with Riley aren't as interesting or developed as I think they were going for. And given the concepts it's deals with and stretches of narrative I think a lot of it might go over younger audiences heads. It does mostly a very good job of that dualism comedy where a sequence will layered to have gags that appeal to a wide spectrum of audience ages, but there's some segments where I feel the humour/sequence is geared exclusively towards teen+ audiences. I could see some younger kids getting bored.

But yeah, good stuff.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Didn't know there was a thread for this. I saw this a week and a half ago, was invited to an early screening in Philly. I can honestly say it's my favorite animated film at the moment. I got to meet the director, producer, which is great after meeting the art director, learned a lot about the process for making the film and think that they absolutely nailed the concept. One thing I love the most about the story is that it's incredibly cohesive, I can not think of a single plot hole or underdeveloped plot line, everyone feels fleshed out, the comedy at times was very clever with the concept of how an 11 year old's mind works. Not to mention the fact that it's an absolutely gorgeous film, oh my lord they nailed every single aspect of the visuals.
I also cried on 3 different instances.
Seriously though I have to wonder what the hell was up with the marketing on this one. They've been so incredibly secretive with the plot that if you were to watch every single clip of the film on their youtube channel you still wouldn't have a good inkling of what the actual plot is about or that Joy is undoubtedly the main character. I forgot to mention that I loved seeing Lava for the second time, it's been like six or so months since I've seen that short film at "The Animation Show of Shows." I want a copy of it so I could listen to it all day.

Maximo

Didn't know there was a thread for this. I saw this a week and a half ago, was invited to an early screening in Philly. I can honestly say it's my favorite animated film at the moment. I got to meet the director, producer, which is great after meeting the art director, learned a lot about the process for making the film and think that they absolutely nailed the concept. One thing I love the most about the story is that it's incredibly cohesive, I can not think of a single plot hole or underdeveloped plot line, everyone feels fleshed out, the comedy at times was very clever with the concept of how an 11 year old's mind works. Not to mention the fact that it's an absolutely gorgeous film, oh my lord they nailed every single aspect of the visuals.
Seriously though I have to wonder what the hell was up with the marketing on this one. They've been so incredibly secretive with the plot that if you were to watch every single clip of the film on their youtube channel you still wouldn't have a good inkling of what the actual plot is about or that Joy is undoubtedly the main character. I forgot to mention that I loved seeing Lava for the second time, it's been like six or so months since I've seen that short film at "The Animation Show of Shows." I want a copy of it so I could listen to it all day.
I want to go see it, GF wants to go see Jurassic World, your impression makes me want to see it even more >.<

So stoked for this! Saw Mad Max (for the 3rd time) last week, Jurassic World this week, this the week after and Ted 2 the week after that... this summer rules for movies.

This is my most anticipated movie of the year, i believe it will be one of Pixar's best movies ever. Omg just release it already &#128553;

Sponge

Banned
Next week will be a good one. I'll not only be watching E3 and Juarassic World, but I'll be watching this shortly after.

Blues1990

Given how I have been suffering through a bad case of depression and dealing with a lot of bullshit, I need to watch something that might brighten me up. Hopefully, this film will deliver on that front.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I do wish there was more Disgust cos I love me some sass. Screen time is predominantly focused on Joy and Sadness.

Given how I have been suffering through a bad case of depression and dealing with a lot of bullshit, I need to watch something that might brighten me up. Hopefully, this film will deliver on that front.

The emotional lesson is very positive and not obtuse so you should enjoy it.

Crossing Eden

I want to go see it, GF wants to go see Jurassic World, your impression makes me want to see it even more >.<

I haven't seen jurassic world but something tells me that this film is leagues ahead of jurassic world. Convince her to see this instead bruh. I just realized this too, this will go unnoticed by a lot of people but this film has the best mom character design, everyone in the real world segments have way more realistic proportions in this film. Intentionally so. It makes the super exaggerated and cartoony animation of the emotions stick out way more. I'd love to see that more often.

inside-out-pixar-movie-screenshot-rileys-mom-diane-lane-7.jpg

^ Still clearly stylized but animated way more realistically.

EatChildren

^ Still clearly stylized but animated way more realistically.

Yeah. The "real world" in general is a lot more muted in colours and realistically proportioned if still stylised. The inner psyche where most of the film takes place is far more abstract and colourful. The difference is very deliberate.

Ashodin

Fear is straight up

e7EbM.gif

This guy

Which is actually funny, since his name is Panic (what happens when you are afraid)

Crossing Eden

Welp...advance review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXC_205E3Og

The concept of the memory orbs is kind of like the memories/belief tube things from Rise of the Guardians.
Completely tuned out at the comparison to lets plays being the concept of the interaction between the characters because it's "what sells." Holy shit that's a ridiculous misunderstanding of the film. Plus his whole cynical rant about Pixar being more about merchandising instead of telling a story. And the name YourMovieSucksDOTorg from someone who has an incredibly cynical outlook on film and animation to the point that he's the only one not laughing or getting the jokes...etc etc., then he said no one would confuse this with a dreamworks film? I can't with film reviewers on youtube.

EatChildren

Eh, YMS has a shtick and they're unapologetically committed to it. I don't entirely disagree with the points made either, just the extent to which they were detrimental to enjoying the story.

Like, I really enjoyed it and thought it was conceptually very creative. But I wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination put it up with something like WALL-E as a complete narrative.

I was also pretty disappointed with Lava. Insanely gorgeous but forgettable.

Timbuktu

I can't really stand reviewers starting reviews by reading everyone else's reviews first. Not familiar with that guy, is it a parody, 17 mins is really long for that.

bomma_man

looking forward to this one, sounds like the best thing pixar have done in years, at least conceptually. my girlfriend's a child psych so this will be a godsend to her too.

Crossing Eden

Eh, YMS has a shtick and they're unapologetically committed to it. I don't entirely disagree with the points made either, just the extent to which they were detrimental to enjoying the story.

Like, I really enjoyed it and thought it was conceptually very creative. But I wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination put it up with something like WALL-E as a complete narrative.

I was also pretty disappointed with Lava. Insanely gorgeous but forgettable.
My best friend, also an animator, was holding the film up to Wall-E before, during and after the film was over. Thought it compared quite well but still preferred Wall-E. Lava actually made one of my closest friends cry as well. But that was because we getting hammered with sad film after sad film.

EatChildren

My best friend, also an animator, was holding the film up to Wall-E before, during and after the film was over. Thought it compared quite well but still preferred Wall-E.

Wall-E hits a lot of big notes with me, especially for its more unorthodox silent narrative in this day and age, and visual tone compared to prior Pixar work, so it's a hard one to beat. But I've long since conceded nothing Pixar do is likely to impress me as much.

What I like about Inside Out is conceptually it envisions some interesting concepts that recent Pixar films don't, as they're much safer. I don't disagree with the notion that on a fundamental level Inside Out is pretty formulaic, but what kept me interested were the places characters went in the psyche and how they were visualised and represented.

EDIT: I think for me Lava was just way, way too transparent on the "simple concept heart strings cry now" idea, and too heavy handed with the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole influence.

XAL

Completely tuned out at the comparison to lets plays being the concept of the interaction between the characters because it's "what sells." Holy shit that's a ridiculous misunderstanding of the film. Plus his whole cynical rant about Pixar being more about merchandising instead of telling a story. And the name YourMovieSucksDOTorg from someone who has an incredibly cynical outlook on film and animation to the point that he's the only one not laughing or getting the jokes...etc etc., then he said no one would confuse this with a dreamworks film? I can't with film reviewers on youtube.

Oh, it's a joke site. I totally fell for it.

It's not.

His reviews are pretty fair for the most part if you understand his reviewing scale.

Merely enjoying the movie doesn't guarantee a high score.

He enjoys plenty of 5/10 movies, he considers 5 average. He takes a lot of things into account: performances, editing, errors, writing, etc.

A bunch of videos of obviously bad movies are intended to be humorous with his not-serious schtick (Cool cat, Death Race, M-Night films post Unbreakable, etc), but he reviews them on the same 10/10 scale as everything else - his higher reviewed films are done more seriously and show that he actually has a lot of insight showing he knows what makes a film bad, good, great, or excellent.

His 10/10 score means the film is actually flawless across the board. So don't be super offended or dismissive that a film you like doesn't get an 7+ on his review scale.

That and he doesn't view "it's a kid's movie" or "it's a dumb action movie, just turn your brain off" as an excuse for poor quality.

His lengthier reviews of higher rated films and top 10 lists are really worth checking out, much less low brow and comedic than the stuff he reviews in the average or lower tiers.

He has a shtick but his opinions aren't like a character or anything. It's his opinion. He has a lot of pretty good in depth reviews out there. His take on the Walking Dead TV show is pretty good and thorough I thought.
Oh? I admit I scanned his IMDB scores only very (very) briefly, but when someone rates Fury Road the same as Death Race 2000 and The Matrix Reloaded, my automatic reaction is that it's a joke. Either that or that the person is a very mediocre reviewer.

Edit: I guess this is one of those things where I have to watch his videos in order to tell which of his scores are actually serious (which I'm not going to do), so I'll just move on.
In the case of Death Race 2000, it's a joke.
Please tell me Reloaded is also a joke :p

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm sure this movie will great but this is the first Pixar movie I did not buy the art book for. I wish the characters looked better. It's on purpose of course for animation purposes and stylistic decisions but they look too much like UPA cartoons for me.

That said I will be there day 1

Edit: I bet I buy the book after watching the movie lol

XAL

Oh? I admit I scanned his IMDB scores only very (very) briefly, but when someone rates Fury Road the same as Death Race 2000 and The Matrix Reloaded, my automatic reaction is that it's a joke. Either that or that the person is a very mediocre reviewer.

In the case of Death Race 2000, it's a joke - more of a so fucking awful across the board it's amazing.

If you want a laugh, please check it out. https://www.youtube.com/user/YourMovieSucksDOTorg/search?query=death+race

Edit: I guess this is one of those things where I have to watch his videos in order to tell which of his scores are actually serious (which I'm not going to do), so I'll just move on.Please tell me Reloaded is also a joke :p

Yeah, you have to watch a smattering of his videos to get what's going on.

As for the Matrix Reloaded that must have been reviewed long before he made his channel so I don't know if it's a(n outdated rating) or a joke or not :p

--

And to be clear, my oh well reaction to his review for this movie is just because it's been described as falling into the post Wall-E quality territory (with UP as an exception) rather than pre. Meaning it's probably enjoyable, it just doesn't make any sense/there are a lot of problems with it.

Astral Dog

I have to ask, is there some kind of villain on this movie? is he/she cool?

DrStiles

I have to ask, is there some kind of villain on this movie? is he/she cool?

____No_____

I saw this about a week ago at a screening in Boston. I loved it. Great characters and I thought it was a very creative depiction of a person's consciousness. The emotions all play off each other really well and it definitely catered a lot more to the teen and up crowd than I was expecting. I liked it a lot more than a lot of Pixar's recent films, so I'm hoping they've found their inspiration again.

I'm totally going to check it out again once it's released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom