• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I have to ask, is there some kind of villain on this movie? is he/she cool?
NOOOO and that's part of what makes it so great, there's no inherent villain.
It's purely a character driven narrative that's a metaphor about a girl going through a rough spot in her life. That's why I enjoy it, it's very down to earth and reflects life quite accurately.

Wall-E hits a lot of big notes with me, especially for its more unorthodox silent narrative in this day and age, and visual tone compared to prior Pixar work, so it's a hard one to beat. But I've long since conceded nothing Pixar do is likely to impress me as much.

What I like about Inside Out is conceptually it envisions some interesting concepts that recent Pixar films don't, as they're much safer. I don't disagree with the notion that on a fundamental level Inside Out is pretty formulaic, but what kept me interested were the places characters went in the psyche and how they were visualised and represented.

EDIT: I think for me Lava was just way, way too transparent on the "simple concept heart strings cry now" idea, and too heavy handed with the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole influence.
Abstract thought
was one of the most creative parts of the film visually. The whole parts of the brain stuff very deliberately resembling parts of the brain was also a joy to see.

Astral Dog

I guess it would not fit,still i always hope for a new interesting Disney/Pixar villain.

Im glad most of the movie takes place inside her head with the emotions and its not too much like the trailers.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think the youtube guy's criticisms about the emotions would've been more valid if the film was more like this instead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5rAqANyjis It's more the opposite where the emotions determine the reaction quite fast instead of debating for way too long. It feels really natural imo instead of the above clip which didn't make it into the film. More scenes like that would've felt very strange and like Riley was extremely bipolar.

Just got back from an advance screening. Really really enjoyed it. Just a few quick thoughts.

1) MAN that was emotionally taxing (pun intended)! I was not prepared for that. It's just sad blow after sad blow. Very bleak for long periods of time for a Pixar movie.

2) Perfect casting. Leslie knope as joy and optimism. Lewis black as anger. Kelly Kapoor as disgust. Depressed Phyllis as sadness. All no brainer casting decisions, I imagine.

3) The volcano short before the movie was cute, but also pretty damn sad.

4) The movie evokes nostalgia big time. Life is full of so many fun and sad memories you guyssssss.

Maan i hope not too many people post good impressions -with tasty details- here (not
completely
serious), the wait is already unbereable. I want to feel the feels :(

Maan i hope not too many people post good impressions -with tasty details- here (not
completely
serious), the wait is already unbereable. I want to feel the feels :(
Inside Out was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

There. That should help you hang on for another hour at least.

lachesis

Gold Member
Also got back from company screening @ nyc.

Very enjoyable movie - my 8yr old daughter was very excited to see the movie, but I think the adults enjoyed it even more. Very emotional, heart warming and all. I enjoyed it much more than UP!

Also got back from company screening @ nyc.

Very enjoyable movie - my 8yr old daughter was very excited to see the movie, but I think the adults enjoyed it even more. Very emotional, heart warming and all. I enjoyed it much more than UP!

Wow that's huge. Can't wait to see this!

I want to feel emotions.

lachesis

Gold Member
Wow that's huge. Can't wait to see this!

I want to feel emotions.

When I first heard and saw promo for the movie a year ago or so - I wasn't really into it & skeptical. I thought what would they be able to do with this, and separating all the emotions in separate characters felt rather gimmicky... but boy, was I wrong.

It really hit the spot when the child's emotion really start developing right before puberty. Such magical moment, the movie was able to capture it in magical way. My 8yr old daughter didn't quite get the whole concept (as far as I could tell) - but it was much more deeper than I thought it would ever be.

The writers, really did think quite a bit about human emotions when they wrote this thing. definitely recommended.

Mistle

Fantastic film, fired on all cylinders. Return to form for Pixar, in the sense of breaking new ground and being super creative. Awesome.

The story wasn't overly grand, like it didn't feel like a big adventure or anything. It's very grounded in its characters and it's for the better, as that's where the movie excels.

Zalasta

This was brought up in a previous thread, but did anyone ever explained why Riley's emotions have both genders where as the mom and dad's emotions are only of one sex? Also, do they have the same 5 emotions for all the characters?

Not really feeling this. There is no way I will be enjoying this more than UP I can tell you that much. I'm sure it will be decent but seems like the normal Pixar hyperbole to me.

This was brought up in a previous thread, but did anyone ever explained why Riley's emotions have both genders where as the mom and dad's emotions are only of one sex? Also, do they have the same 5 emotions for all the characters?

I thought it was because Riley hasn't gone through puberty yet.

When I first heard and saw promo for the movie a year ago or so - I wasn't really into it & skeptical. I thought what would they be able to do with this, and separating all the emotions in separate characters felt rather gimmicky... but boy, was I wrong.

It really hit the spot when the child's emotion really start developing right before puberty. Such magical moment, the movie was able to capture it in magical way. My 8yr old daughter didn't quite get the whole concept (as far as I could tell) - but it was much more deeper than I thought it would ever be.

The writers, really did think quite a bit about human emotions when they wrote this thing. definitely recommended.

Yasss!

I knew Pixar would nail this. I saw the potential on the first trailer while everyone called it sexist and stereotypical. I cant wait to see what these emotional beats are that everyone is saying are amazing.

UberTag

Just caught an early preview screening of this despite keeping myself completely in the dark with trailers beforehand.

Really enjoyed it but think it may have been a touch too sophisticated for the kids in the audience. Exceptionally smart film that took a simple concept (essentially Herman's Head for those of you who remember that series) and developed it in a way that made so much sense.

I kept expecting the film to take cheap outs like
having the parents divorce or have Bing Bong serve the villain role by sabotaging Joy and Sadness from returning to HQ so friendless Riley would welcome him back into her life
but the film resisted doing this at every opportunity.

Instead we get a film about
emotional growth and maturity where Riley's emotions become more complex and recognise that human interactions are shaped by more than mere one-dimensional black and white responses. I equate the destruction of the various islands (Goofball, Friendship, Hockey, Honesty, etc.) as Riley losing her emotional baby teeth.

Perfect casting and some of the best comedic timing I can recall from any of Pixar's films help to seal the deal. I'll give it a strong 8 out of 10. Didn't care for the volcano short at the beginning at all, unfortunately.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Other than Star Wars this is my most hyped movie of the year. Watching Day 1 as is usually the case throughout my life dating back to A Bugs Life unless it's Cars, Monsters University or Brave. The last two were good not Day 1 good though.

Syriel

This movie is supposed to be an amazing return to form for Pixar. My friend can't stop raving about this film. Says it's arguably their best movie.

Wall-E is better (beating that will be an impressive feat). It's on par with Up.

My review posts on release day, but short version is, it's good.

Was not impressed with Lava though. That does not stand with Pixar's best shorts.

Dereck

I haven't seen Up since it came out, but what about it besides the beginning of it puts it so high on everyone's list?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I haven't seen Up since it came out, but what about it besides the beginning of it puts it so high on everyone's list?

IMO, not sure. It starts off great like you said but the second half was extremely disappointing. Still a good movie but I'd rank it near the bottom of my Pixar list.

Deviousx

Pete Docter still out here doing the Lord's work.
whew.png

Can't wait to see it!

scamander

Banned
So, I just looked up, when the German release date is. It's the first of October, 8 weeks before they start showing "The Good Dinosaur". Are they nuts? By that time the Blu-ray will be released in the US and even some European countries, like France. So I'm not going into the cinema and will import the BD, instead. Good job, Disney!

EDIT: So, it will be the second Pixar movie I didn't watch in the cinemas, after Cars. Just like Big Hero 6, which was released here only in January, was only the third Disney movie since 1989, that I didn't see in the cinemas. The other two have been 'Chicken Little' and 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame'. Globalisation. How does it work?

Not really feeling this. There is no way I will be enjoying this more than UP I can tell you that much. I'm sure it will be decent but seems like the normal Pixar hyperbole to me.

I really don't understand this mentality. It's a great way too not enjoy things.

I had the same mentality... when I was 15 in 2003.

Its like, it was a period when I didnt watch animated movies on theaters anymore (because the disney decline in quality and me being and idiot, becuase now I freaking love the world of animation and I even did that at college), and I was laughing my ass off becuase Pixar was going to try humans for the first time with The Incredibles, and they were going to fail, and animation world in general was shit, blah blah blah...
Fast forward to 2004 after watching the incredibles at a theater, and its still my favourite Pixar movie. And as I said, you already know the rest, went to college to study animation, love it, etc...

So yes, its a fucking stupid stance to make.
Just wait till you see it, then you can say those thing if you want.

So, I just looked up, when the German release date is. It's the first of October, 8 weeks before they start showing "The Good Dinosaur". Are they nuts? By that time the Blu-ray will be released in the US and even some European countries, like France. So I'm not going into the cinema and will import the BD, instead. Good job, Disney!

EDIT: So, it will be the second Pixar movie I didn't watch in the cinemas, after Cars. Just like Big Hero 6, which was released here only in January, was only the third Disney movie since 1989, that I didn't see in the cinemas. The other two have been 'Chicken Little' and 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame'. Globalisation. How does it work?

I dont know what the fuck is going about Disney Germnay, but their handling of releases are a total fuck up.
Thank god they are not like Nintendo of Europe and the other disneys in europe have to do exactly what they do. There was a time when they did that and Spain, Italy, France... also got the disney movies months after the original release, not anymore.
Someone there needs to slap their shit together, for your sake.

scamander

Banned
I dont know what the fuck is going about Disney Germnay, but their handling of releases are a total fuck up.
Thank god they are not like Nintendo of Europe and the other disneys in europe have to do exactly what they do. There was a time when they did that and Spain, Italy, France... also got the disney movies months after the original release, not anymore.
Someone there needs to slap their shit together, for your sake.

Yeah, I have really no idea, what's going on there. Up until 'Up' they almost always pushed the Pixar movies back for a Fall release in Germany. Then, since Toy Story 3, the gap between the US and German release was getting closer and with Monster's University, it was closed completely. Now it's just like it used to be and they even started to push back Disney's own animated movies, which they didn't do for almost 10 years. -.-

And it's really strange, that 'The Good Dinosaur' isn't pushed back. So they are releasing one Pixar film in early October and the other in late November, here. That doesn't make sense to me at all. I'm not complaining that at least one of them will get a timely release in Germany, but their release scheduling just seems to be so random.

Toothless

What does Quirks in Navigation mean?

For subtitles for the OT, I was going back and forth between "Quirks in Navigation" or "A Major Emotion Picture" but ultimately went with the former because it wasn't used in the marketing. It's supposed be a pun off "Parks and Recreation" and yeah, I know I'm not supposed to explain the joke.

Morue

Just saw it today and I loved it!! Made me tear up twice, which doesn't happen to me a lot.

It was also funny, clever and wonderfully inventive.

(I think Sadness is now one of my favorite characters)

One of, if not the best Pixar movie...

MercuryLS

Banned
Just saw it today and I loved it!! Made me tear up twice, which doesn't happen to me a lot.

It was also funny, clever and wonderfully inventive.

(I think Sadness is now one of my favorite characters)

One of, if not the best Pixar movie...

I'm really hyped to see this movie, it looks amazing.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I know its ridiculously early and it only has 1600 reviews, but its currently sitting at a 9.1 on IMDB

Annoying how its not out till late july in the UK but then they have to schedule around Minions I guess

29 positive reviews now, and all of them positive.

If it weren't for E3 week, I'd spam the fast forward button like my life depended on it.

Saw this last week and loved it. Such a great movie. Not sure how it will work for younger kids but I think slightly older kids and young parents this movie is perfect for.

The best Pixar movie in years and also I think their best made in terms of style and editing. There are a lot of little touches you don't normally see in animation with the camera and the way scenes are cut together.

Tadaima

Lava is a musical love story about volcanos. Yep, sounds like a Pixar short. Following two volcanos named Uke and Lele and set over millions of years, the film is directed by James Ford Murphy, making his short debut.

This reminds me that I should back the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter.

Wanderer5

Going to the El Capitan on Tuesday for the afternoon screening that includes Q/A with the director, producer, and the voice of Joy, eeeeeeeeeee!XD

Just a couple days then, I can hardly wait!

Amir0x

Banned
Wall-E is better (beating that will be an impressive feat). It's on par with Up.

My review posts on release day, but short version is, it's good.

Was not impressed with Lava though. That does not stand with Pixar's best shorts.

I liked Wall-E, but I really think it was hamfisted with the eco message elements and the fat people was too on-the-nose. And could have done without that ending.

Up had an amazing intro and ending, but was filled with forgettable fluff in the middle that left me cold. Felt like a formulaic Dreamworks filmed sandwiched between two rad Pixar parts.

For me Pixar's high watermark is easily Toy Story 2. That's what I'll be looking to see if this one can beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom