• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Shooter 2 |OT| - Can You Make It Past The Asteroid Belt?

Rolf NB

Finished it yesterday. Egads, what an awesome game. Definitely continues right on from the end of Shooter 1 in terms of puzzle complexity and overall challenge.

Love the new shmup elements. Love the art and creativity. Boss #2 is a particular standout. The one where you
play Galaga with its tail until it cries
xD
The third act is just mindblowing in its entirety.

Five stars.

HiVision

We just released a small patch today for Shooter 2 - boot the game and it will patch automatically.

There will be a blog post detailing some of the additions - online matching has been improved! But we have added a save and continue later like option to the pause screen that lets you quit a stage half way through and come back to it later on - the data is saved so you can power down your ps3. (handy for boss stages as you don't have to keep re-playing the screens up to where the boss appears!)

Lots of other small tweaks too, so give it a go!

BeeDog

HiVision said:
We just released a small patch today for Shooter 2 - boot the game and it will patch automatically.

There will be a blog post detailing some of the additions - online matching has been improved! But we have added a save and continue later like option to the pause screen that lets you quit a stage half way through and come back to it later on - the data is saved so you can power down your ps3. (handy for boss stages as you don't have to keep re-playing the screens up to where the boss appears!)

Is it possible to gain ranks online now without the need to win matches? People are tearing the shit out of me online, and I stopped playing because I didn't make any progress whatsoever.

daffy

Banned
HiVision said:

Thanks for the details! Just saw this on the auto download.

Biff

Considering buying this but was put off after the very short 4 hour PJS1 campaign.

How long is this one? And I suppose 1v1 MP will help ease my replayability worries :)

kassatsu

Banned
ChefRamsay said:
Considering buying this but was put off after the very short 4 hour PJS1 campaign.

How long is this one? And I suppose 1v1 MP will help ease my replayability worries :)
Single player is a good 5/6 hours maybe longer if you get all the survivors and gems. I haven't played it in a while though, I still play multiplayer daily, though there are a select few that play now it seems. I hear Q-Games are doing something to fix that problem though ;)

RustyO

HiVision said:
online matching has been improved!

I'll have to give this a go.. haven't ever managed to get in a single match.

HiVision said:
But we have added a save and continue later like option to the pause screen that lets you quit a stage half way through and come back to it later on - the data is saved so you can power down your ps3. (handy for boss stages as you don't have to keep re-playing the screens up to where the boss appears!)

Sounds nice, may come in handy for some jewel runs... have it in from the start for PJS3?

brunoa76

The save option was needed. I can now continue with the treasure hunting.

Not sure it will make me love this "add-on" more than the original game...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I might have a chance of beating the last boss now. ;)

Otacon

Rez said:
I might have a chance of beating the last boss now. ;)
haha
same here
fantastic game but I hated the last boss - played through the game with my gf who is not the best player when it comes to dual stick shooters
or maybe just the fact that you had to replay the whole level before it which took like what felt 30 minutes to me
so, if I understand the save feature they patched correctly, if I make it to the last boss, die and turn off my PS3, I will start again at the boss whenever I play this level again?

/XX/

HiVision said:
As I said in a previous post (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26604770&postcount=373), I find this kind of afterthought mends a bit "cheap". Didn't you designed at first the levels and its progression without this type of save feature in mind? Wouldn't this make the design of those levels a little broken?

I certainly would have preferred it as an option only for new introduced lower difficulties, as I prefer that a specific challenge remains as it is when you have accustomed to it, without additional aid, but if that is what the majority of costumers reclaimed, I suppose it is a good decision for everyone. I'll accustom to it again!

duckroll

HiVision said:

Thanks for the update! I'll probably give it another try this weekend and see if I can pick up where I left off. I'm still short of a few treasures to get the real ending, and I'll love to give multiplayer a spin again if I can actually get into games easier.

HiVision

Oh and we added an indicator in the pause menu that once you have cleared a stage and are replaying it to find treasure it will show you if any is still around in the current scene, per scene.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Patch details

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/07/05/pixeljunk-shooter-2-patch-is-live-now/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=pixeljunk_070511

There was a bug where some enemies would spawn right on top of you giving you that awesome “insta-death” you really don’t want in a game… well, we fixed it!

The online connectivity has been tuned to allow you to hook up with other players much more easily. Try it out!

If you get matched against a higher ranking player you get a nice large cash bonus (Q space bucks of course) if you win! This gives you a big incentive to challenge yourself more when you get matched up against someone who seems better than you. Hint: stay calm and use strategy, you can definitely take them!

We added an option to the pause screen that lets you take a break in the middle of a stage and come back later to finish it off. So when your mom calls you to the dinner table just choose that option, go eat your dinner *and* be nice to the environment by switching off your PS3!

Even if you kill a few survivors and get a game over screen you can “continue” – your score will be reset, but if you are just exploring and trying to get as far as you can this feature stops you from being thrown back to the start of a stage just because a few puny survivors happen to have gotten in the way of your missiles.

A message on the pause screen lets you know if there are any diamonds still hidden in the current screen. This is very handy when you are searching out that last diamond in order to unlock the awesomely cool secret last stage!

Acid walls aren’t as nasty anymore – we gave the giant alien whose insides you are exploring some antacid and he’s feeling a lot better now!

calder

Oh cool, will go back to the game later. I got so stuck on one boss and it was enraging how long it took to get to that stage, and then when I was killed a few times I'd have to quit and the thought of having to get back to the #(!*$#! boss was daunting enough to make me not want to bother.

brunoa76

I tried to play again but I really hate the mecanism of the third (and last !!!) world. What a pity they apply it to the whole world.

Kinyou

A message on the pause screen lets you know if there are any diamonds still hidden in the current screen. This is very handy when you are searching out that last diamond in order to unlock the awesomely cool secret last stage!
So good! Now I can actually enjoy the diamond hunt.

HiVision

mikespit1200 said:
Anyone have any tips for boss #2? I've been stuck on him for a few days. The 2nd phase with the bouncy bullets is what always gets me.

Don't hide in the water areas when he's in that phase.

HiVision

Are you seeing an increase in online players now there's a free online demo out?
We'll detail a few things on the ps blog before the weekend too to rally people to the cause!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
kassatsu said:
Demo out now for the online mode.

Plus it is on sale for now $6.99/$4.89 (ps+)

Go get THE BEST game on PSN.
I picked it up from the sale. :)

Haven't played it yet, but I will soon! I haven't played none of the Pixel Junk games, so this will be my first.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
How is this compared to the first game? I thought Shooter 1 was just 'OK' and I might pass if its more of the same.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Snuggler said:
How is this compared to the first game? I thought Shooter 1 was just 'OK' and I might pass if its more of the same.

It's MUCH better. So much variety you'll be wondering if your are still playing the same game. Plus MP is incredibly addicting.

V_Ben

Banned
TTP said:
It's MUCH better. So much variety you'll be wondering if your are still playing the same game. Plus MP is incredibly addicting.

Yeah, it's insane how much better than Shooter 1 this is :)

daffy

Banned
Wow. Just got to Saturn and the multiplayer is really fun so far. Unexpected. Lots of unlockables, really quick and clever gameplay. Will definitely return after I beat single player. Hopefully people keep playing online for awhile now.

kassatsu

Banned
TTP said:
Enjoying the fresh meat I guess :p

Last time I checked you were like 20something in the leaderboards. Impressive.
Would be top 10 if I didn't stop playing for a while when we had a lot of games to review, then it died off and there were only like 5 regulars playing ;(

multiplayer in this game is amazing! when i first booted it up i spent a good 10-15 min. just laughing at the item descriptions. it's like hide n seek/ctf/powers all at once.

kassatsu unleashed his pixeljunkfu on me and all i could do was laugh. don't know how he did it but he trapped me in ice, went about collecting survivors(with no worries), and was nice enough to give me some lava so i could kill myself to get out.

kassatsu

Banned
Agent White said:
multiplayer in this game is amazing! when i first booted it up i spent a good 10-15 min. just laughing at the item descriptions. it's like hide n seek/ctf/powers all at once.

kassatsu unleashed his pixeljunkfu on me and all i could do was laugh. don't know how he did it but he trapped me in ice, went about collecting survivors(with no worries), and was nice enough to give me some lava so i could kill myself to get out.
:p

That strat only works on the green side fyi

kassatsu said:
:p

That strat only works on the green side fyi

haha you set me up. you must have been laughing maniacally when you saw me trapped.

having so much fun with mp that i'm gonna have to tear myself away from it to actually play sp.

kassatsu

Banned
Saw a bulletin when looking for a match. New map called BLOCKED is coming and Q-Gamers will be playing online this weekend :)

Massa

I really dislike the cheap deaths in adventure mode for this game, but wow at the multiplayer! Decided to finally give it a try and I'm glad I did, really great fun.

HiVision

Massa said:
I really dislike the cheap deaths in adventure mode for this game, but wow at the multiplayer! Decided to finally give it a try and I'm glad I did, really great fun.

There shouldn't be any cheap deaths with the patched version? We fixed the bug that caused enemies to sometimes spawn on top of the player. Other than that, as long as you are a bit careful when venturing into new areas you should be fine :) (well.. most of the time that is)

As I keep mentioning - the new spin-dash is your friend, use it and use it well! (press R3 when spinning)

Eh, I'm not really digging the first part of PJS2. The Hungry Suit is probably my least favorite segment and it's so freaking tedious shooting those green bile/mucus/egg things. Multiplayer has been a blast so far though...I really like the ideas they came up with there. I'm just hoping the rest of the singleplayer chapters will be more fun and interesting than the intro.

eroots

The multiplayer is SO much fun! I had been doing pretty well last night, til I came up against Kassatsu and got beat pretty good. I like the quick games and that it's not all about shooting but there's a bit of strategy to it.. I like that you can steal you opponents survivors on offense or lose yours, i think that's really cool. I was just playing a dude now thinking I was up 5-0 cruising to victory, then I realized when it ended that I though I was the other color so I was putting on the survivors on his territory, then lost! :( I'm going to have to pay closer attention to the colors.. I couldn't believe I mixed them up and lost when I thought I was kicking butt.

HiVision

We got another big surge and everyone had a great time battling it out. It's fun to see this revived so much and because we fixed the matching bug that occasionally occurred, it is pretty quick to find someone to play against.

duckroll

Okay, I patched it, gave MP a run, managed to get into one game. The MP is definitely as fun as I remember it, but I still seem to have serious connection problems with it. After the patch it seems there are more informative messages when matchmaking. Now I see that it tries to connect with various players, only for it to get the "cannot establish connection" message. I wonder if there are some ports I need to forward on my router?

HiVision

Is your router "NAT type 2"? Failing that, it could just be a lag/latency problem and the players it is trying to match you against are a little too far away to connect to safely.

Are you on a shared connection?

duckroll

HiVision said:
Is your router "NAT type 2"? Failing that, it could just be a lag/latency problem and the players it is trying to match you against are a little too far away to connect to safely.

Are you on a shared connection?

Not sure, I'll have to check later. I don't have a problem connecting to servers directly when playing online games in general. I'm just running a normal home network with a wireless router connected to various laptops and PCs in the house either via wireless or wired. The PS3 itself is wired.

It's probably a latency issue though, since the last time I had serious problems being matched in a game was in the Uncharted 3 beta, which I have still yet to play a single game of! Lol. :(

Top Bottom