• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza |OT| Food of the Gods

Reading this thread makes me envious as hell. I live in a country where there are no proper good pizzerias.

The local pizza culture breaks down like this:
  • American style pizza - hideously overpriced lumps with cheap cheese. It's like they forget that pizza should have other toppings.
  • Italian style thin pizza - they fuck up the dough, they fuck up the toppings, they charge up the nose.
  • Local style pizza - disgusting mess with toppings that appear to be already digested. Twice.
When I travel, I also want to try out proper pizzas. But I travel very little and when I do, my metabolism gets all fucked up.

Ugh, where do you live?

n0n44m

2012-03-0421.27.45wvs7t.jpg

definitely not one of my best attempts but I rather eat them than photograph them ;)

for dough I now stick to the New York-Style from Slice ... seems to work best with my current oven. I use a bread machine to do the kneading for 30 minutes, then stick it in the fridge for 24~48 hours

oven is one of these cheap things I got for €70 3 years ago

5138_240dfs21.jpg

unfortunately it's falling apart slowly right now (used around 6 times a month, so pretty good value anyway), so I'm looking for a successor ... as I live in the Netherlands and not in some tropical paradise a real wood oven or weber-burner-hack-mod is probably not a really feasible option :( space isn't an issue but walking outside and back in again making pizzas in winter is not going to be fun

The main issue I have with the current oven is that (1) the size of the pizzas is rather limited which leads to lots of frantic baking when you're eating with 4 persons or more, and (2) toppings can't stack too high or they'll touch the upper heating element and burn to a crisp. Even air bubbles in dough rising too much when baking can lead to the same issue. Issue 1 is the biggest drawback though because many friends/family love my pizza and end up staying for dinner ;)

I'm either getting a better quality one of the same type but with the same limitations (€130), or try to experiment with a larger stone in my regular (275c max) oven ... anyone who uses the pizza-stone-in-regular-oven-method can confirm whether 275c is enough ? Have some family who use an oven stone to bake great pizzas but their oven has some sort of afterburner/pizza mode which gets it a lot hotter than ours :(

they even got two of these über ovens next to each other ... amateur pizza making heaven right there folks !

-----------------------------

other random thoughts on stuff in this topic:

- a semester in the US taught me Papa John's is pretty decent, all other chains are totally terrible

- Dr. Oetker Hawaii pizza is great when you want something to snack while watching football with your friends, their regular ones taste OK but are a bit small for dinner IMHO

- Yesterday I was lazy and watching olympics/football so I made the Sicilian square dough thing from the same Slice article ... used a bit too small pan with too large rims and too much toppings so it came out like some weird lasagna/chicago-style-pizza hybrid ... still tasted pretty good though :p

- favorite toppings are either :

[mozzarella / onions / green peppers / ham & bacon / grated dutch cheese] or [mozzarella / goat cheese / dutch cheese / Gorgonzola] aka my own quattro formaggi ;)

- for sauce I simply buy pre-packed tomato-based sauce ("Frito") to which I add oregano and a bit of garlic

- adding some rucola salad, (spiced) olive oil and Parma ham on top of a hot, sparsely topped pizza is amazing !

After seeing pics of Detroit style, I really want to try it. Sadly the closest I'll probably ever get to it is flying over the state on my way home to Seattle. Doesn't seem like that style of pizza is made elsewhere. Looks really good though.

I hate to do this to you guys, but from today until August 12th Dominos pizza is 50% off using the coupon code '50off'.

Monday is already the hardest day of the week for me because every local pizza place runs their specials today, and now this. I don't need it. I don't need it.

T Dollarz

Chicago-GAF, what do you think of Dominick's pizza? I work there, me and my bro split a pepperoni today. It's pretty solid, especially for $6.50

TheCrow

Oh that looks saucy...I love a saucy pizza.

It was a little weird eating a pizza with no crust but as a low carb alternative it was good.

oh and I can't believe I have't posted my favorite hot sauces. I always have a bottle of Bufalo or Valentina around.

42isY.jpg
YQixT.jpg

sonicfan

Venerable Member
Here is a pizza with the greatest topping of all time, New Mexican Green Chile....

7270664542_e3be8af798.jpg

This slice is from Dion's, a local chain in the state, quite decent pizza for a chain....

notworksafe

Here is a pizza with the greatest topping of all time, New Mexican Green Chile....

7270664542_e3be8af798.jpg

This slice is from Dion's, a local chain in the state, quite decent pizza for a chain....

High five for green chili! Best pizza topping ever and I'd miss it dearly if I ever moved away. Dion's sucks though, it's all about Saggios!

So I ended up getting pizza last night (not from Dominos). It was great. I forgot to take a photo, though.

You know what I could go for right now? Pizza.

The homemade pizzas in this thread look delicious! My pizzas are not very good, so I could use some advice from you guys.

What would be some tips on how to cook the dough and cheese evenly? When I take my pizzas out of the oven, the dough feels and tastes undercooked, but the cheese will be so overcooked that it looses it's gooey consistency. I'm aiming for a crunchy and dry crust with soft, melted cheese. For reference, I haven't tried preheating the pizza stone, refrigerating the dough overnight, and cooking over 425 degrees.

What can I do to prevent the dough from cooking so slow and inconsistently? I'd appreciate any tips on kneading, ingredient choices, and cooking time.

The homemade pizzas in this thread look delicious! My pizzas are not very good, so I could use some advice from you guys.

What would be some tips on how to cook the dough and cheese evenly? When I take my pizzas out of the oven, the dough feels and tastes undercooked, but the cheese will be so overcooked that it looses it's gooey consistency. I'm aiming for a crunchy and dry crust with soft, melted cheese. For reference, I haven't tried preheating the pizza stone, refrigerating the dough overnight, and cooking over 425 degrees.

What can I do to prevent the dough from cooking so slow and inconsistently? I'd appreciate any tips on kneading, ingredient choices, and cooking time.

Before we get into different doughs and techniques, there's always the "cook the pizza first until half-done and then add the sauce+cheese+toppings"-method

Fuck this thread. You guys are totally making me break my diet of clean eating 6 days a week. I am so tempted to crush 3 or 4 slices and I live in NYC.

Hey guys just a heads up to pizzaGaf, dominos is offering 50% all online orders. enter code 50OFF at check out. Not the greatest za but inexpensive za is grat za. happy eats. Sorry HI and AK :(

Hey guys just a heads up to pizzaGaf, dominos is offering 50% all online orders. enter code 50OFF at check out. Not the greatest za but inexpensive za is grat za. happy eats. Sorry HI and AK :(

Think it's been posted, but 50% is never wrong.
Speaking of Dominos and Pizzahut - anyone tried out their desserts?

I've given both the Jaffacake and Jammie Dodger cheese cakes a try, but found them way too heavy.
At least the chocolate chip cookie dough with icecream is delicious:
l.jpg

Speaking of UK Pizzahut, they're running a really nice looking pizzabox right now:

pizzabox.png

Pan pizza, three sides, four dips.

Think it's been posted, but 50% is never wrong.
Speaking of Dominos and Pizzahut - anyone tried out their desserts?

I've given both the Jaffacake and Jammie Dodger cheese cakes a try, but found them way too heavy.
At least the chocolate chip cookie dough with icecream is delicious:
l.jpg

Speaking of UK Pizzahut, they're running a really nice looking pizzabox right now:

pizzabox.png

Pan pizza, three sides, four dips.

In Northern Ireland anyway, there is only 3 delivery pizza huts left so as good as that pizza box looks I shant be getting one cause the nearest pizza hut delivery is over 30minutes away - no wonder they wouldn't deliver.

Loofy

You know what I dont get. People who order breadsticks, with a side of marinara sauce.
Youre basically ordering a really crappy pizza cut in strips.

trilobyte

I love pizza but there is one thing to watch out for

Low fiber diet in the week
+
Eating an entire pizza
=
Clogged poop shoot
=
*HNNNNNNNNFFFF* -> Hemorrhoids!

Jaroof

Anyone ever been to my place of work?
It's called Big Lou's and it's in San Antonio, Texas.
We started serving this bad boy a few months ago.
481057_334606843276609_910216523_n.jpg

The 5 was for the news channel, btw.

Jaroof

I did a bit of a double take when I first saw that pic, because it looks like a normal tasty pizza.

Only it's massive.

It's just that, too.. it retains its flavor, even though it's enormous.
I've had lots of people tell me things like "I thought it wouldn't be as good because of the size, but it's still really good!"
And it is.

wwm0nkey

Just had something called a Hangover Helper at a local pizza place, it had no sauce, bacon, green peppers, ham, potato's and onions on it. It was pretty much breakfast on bread and it was fucking AMAZING!

ElRenoRaven

Holyshit!! I think it's time to make a trip back to San Antonio. I'll take one. I don't know what everyone else is having.

Holy Mother of Pizza. That would take me like a month to work through. How much is it?

Seanspeed

Banned
How much does everyone tip the pizza guy? What's reasonable? My pizza joints are like 15 mins away on foot. I tip $2.
Same as I tip a waiter/waitress, usually. 15-20% depending on how long it took. For a small order, its definitely a minimum $3, though. I've got a Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns and my local Gino's all within 5 minutes driving distance.

ElRenoRaven

How much does everyone tip the pizza guy? What's reasonable? My pizza joints are like 15 mins away on foot. I tip $2.

Having delivered pizzas I can sympathize with them but I'm also strict and cheap. If it's here within the time given and it doesn't look like someone sit on it or that it's been slung all over the place I'll give them the extra which is usually 4 to 5 bucks. If it isn't on time or it looks like it's been slung all over the place or sit on then hell no you're lucky if it's not free to me. Never had a driver complain either because the times it's been late they've been complete idiots who don't know how to use a map and have known it.

When I delivered I wasn't late. I always mapped out my route before leaving each time and got stuff there quick. I usually got a good tip for that too. One thing people might not realize. Most drivers don't worry about a tip because at the end of the day it evens out. You'll get people who tip 10 or even 20 bucks and you'll get people who don't give you a dime. Hell occasionally when delivering to a party or car dealership you can get upwards of a 100 buck tip. I still remember a birthday party that an old school teacher of mine was having. I delivered 20 pizzas and they gave me an envelope with a 100 buck tip. I remembered that day why I liked that teacher when I was in her class. lol

Top Bottom