• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza |OT| Food of the Gods

Man I wasnt going to get a pizza tonight but this thread is swaying me.

Tesco in the Uk do one, supposed to be like £7 but is usually £4/3 on offer that I love. Italian thin style with riquto red peppers, parma ham and mozarrela i belive it is.

One of the best frozen pizzas for sure.

Man I wasnt going to get a pizza tonight but this thread is swaying me.

Tesco in the Uk do one, supposed to be like £7 but is usually £4/3 on offer that I love. Italian thin style with riquto red peppers, parma ham and mozarrela i belive it is.

One of the best frozen pizzas for sure.

You need to check out the tesco/sainsbury's chilled pizzas.
I grab one of their plain cheese ones, and just throw on some fresh toppings before giving it a go in the oven.

Comes out delicious!

effzee

Anyone here try Singa's Famous Pizza? They have a few spots here in NYC and NJ and I think its one of my favorite pizzerias. The persona 10 inch pie is heaven.

You need to check out the tesco/sainsbury's chilled pizzas.
I grab one of their plain cheese ones, and just throw on some fresh toppings before giving it a go in the oven.

Comes out delicious!

Sounds great, some of the cheese pizzas have a wonderful combination of cheeses already on them.

madmackem

I found a pizza shop down the road to me does two 12" super thin base pizzas for £7.50 pure bargin and they tasted sooooo good will take pic next time i get them.

Magilla

Banned
Nah, it really doesn't. It's overwhelmingly shit. I lived in New England for 4 painful years filled with shit pizza.

Boston for 10 years. Most corner pizza shops are horrible greek pizza. You can find a good expensive gourmet pizza of course, but most pizza here does suck.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
interesting new chain that is supposedly a chipotle-style order at the counter place making neapolitan style pies in los angeles, and expanding.

800 DEGREES

20120101-185892-800-Body1.jpg

20120101-185892-800-Slide4.jpg

20120101-185892-800-Slide11.jpg

By cutting out the front of house waitstaff, encouraging quick turn around and high volume, 800 Degrees offers the highest quality ingredients at unbeatable prices. Diners move along a Chipolite-style assembly line of made to order pizzas, toppings and salads. The pies cook for sixty seconds, which means the steaming pizzas are waiting for patrons right after paying.

interesting new chain that is supposedly a chipotle-style order at the counter place making neapolitan style pies in los angeles, and expanding.

800 DEGREES

20120101-185892-800-Body1.jpg

20120101-185892-800-Slide4.jpg

20120101-185892-800-Slide11.jpg

This sounds awesome.
So they pre-bake the pizzas to almost completion, then give you a bunch of toppings to chose from, and then do a final super high-temperature bake just to cook said toppings?

Pretty nice.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
This sounds awesome.
So they pre-bake the pizzas to almost completion, then give you a bunch of toppings to chose from, and then do a final super high-temperature bake just to cook said toppings?

Pretty nice.

actually, no, that's not accurate. they just make the dough, have the ingredients available, then fast-cook the pies in an 800 degree oven much like any neapolitan place and have the pizza ready for you at the counter. they're legitimate cooked on-the-spot pizzas. as you can see in the link the results are pretty good but a little mixed in consistency, but i adored the idea and thought you guys might too.

actually, no, that's not accurate. they just make the dough, have the ingredients available, then fast-cook the pies in an 800 degree oven much like any neapolitan place and have the pizza ready for you at the counter. they're legitimate cooked on-the-spot pizzas. as you can see in the link the results are pretty good but a little mixed in consistency, but i adored the idea and thought you guys might too.
Looks damn good.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Nah, it really doesn't. It's overwhelmingly shit. I lived in New England for 4 painful years filled with shit pizza.
Pizza in most regions is going to be "overwhelmingly shit" though, isn't it? You can't expect to go into ten different shops and get great pizza from eight of them, for example. In my experiences, the best pizza in Boston rivals the best pizza I've had elsewhere across the country. Galleria Umberto, Ernesto's, Regina, Santarpio's, Pinocchio's, Pino's, Presto, Otto, Pizzeria Dante, Brookline Spa, Armando's are all excellent, and that's just off the top of my head. None of them are gourmet/expensive, either.

Now, when you venture out into the suburbs, yeah, it gets a lot more difficult to find great pizza. I honestly never had a good pie until I moved to the city. I have sort of developed a soft spot for that shitty suburban Greek pizza over the years, though. So unbelievably greasy.

Magilla said:
Boston for 10 years. Most corner pizza shops are horrible greek pizza. You can find a good expensive gourmet pizza of course, but most pizza here does suck.
In Boston proper? I feel like you must be going to all the wrong places, because Greek pizza is definitely in the minority in the city and surrounding communities. I've had pizza from all over and can only think of a few places that serve it — as opposed to in the suburbs, where it's everywhere, like I mentioned above.

GhaleonEB

a freestyle coke machine? it's a new one on me, too.

20111012-FreestyleMachine-Main.jpg

We have this at my work, it's fantastic, though prone to breakdowns. Barq's with vanilla is my favorite (I do diet, though - still tasty).

I went out for pizza last night, but forgot to take my camera. So, here's what was left when I got home.

From Sunshine Pizza, a local pizzaria. Heavy on toppings, just right on cheese, a touch too light on sauce, but with a perfect, crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside crust. All in a all, a damn fine pizza.

Magilla

Banned
In Boston proper? I feel like you must be going to all the wrong places, because Greek pizza is definitely in the minority in the city and surrounding communities. I've had pizza from all over and can only think of a few places that serve it — as opposed to in the suburbs, where it's everywhere, like I mentioned above.

I'm probably mislabeling it, but I always assumed it was greek. Thin, almost not existent crust, decent amount of sauce, super greasy, and all around crap. /shrug Not sure what to call it. LoL

Been the same in the South End, Dot, East Cambridge, and Allston.

I liked Pizza-Pier, but they closed up shop. Upper Crust is decent. Other than that I've had to go to more expensive places for better stuff.

joe2187

Banned

This guy is correct.

Neapolitan pizzas are traditionally made inside a Wood fire oven, where the temp will rise above 800, The dough they use is cooked nearly instantly in 90 seconds or less as well as the fresh ingredients.

Our place specializes in true Neapolitan pizzas made the same exact way, only more traditional. Here are some photos of our Lamb, broccoli, red pepper, marscapone and orange zest pizza, with the crust.

7560346696_92b6d5009a.jpg

7560358888_a73b6b05a7.jpg

Had a great pizza last night from Asda (UK) it was called the American Sizzler. It had a thin base and crust, chicken, pepperoni, chili beef and jalapenos. It was really delicious and only £2.50 as well.

ElRenoRaven

We have this at my work, it's fantastic, though prone to breakdowns. Barq's with vanilla is my favorite (I do diet, though - still tasty).

I went out for pizza last night, but forgot to take my camera. So, here's what was left when I got home.

From Sunshine Pizza, a local pizzaria. Heavy on toppings, just right on cheese, a touch too light on sauce, but with a perfect, crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside crust. All in a all, a damn fine pizza.

Not a bad looking pizza at all and ouch at the light on sauce. I've gotta have a good amount. For me it should have a lot of sauce but not too much that the cheese and toppings slide off. I find as a result of the way most make it here you have to request extra sauce on it. If you don't then it's going to be lucky to have any.

GhaleonEB

Not a bad looking pizza at all and ouch at the light on sauce. I've gotta have a good amount. For me it should have a lot of sauce but not too much that the cheese and toppings slide off. I find as a result of the way most make it here you have to request extra sauce on it. If you don't then it's going to be lucky to have any.

I like a modestly saucy pizza; not so much that the cheese is falling off, but I want to at least taste it. Often, when my wife and I go out we get a side order of sauce, and dip the pizza in it to make up for the lack on the pizza itself. It works.

This looks great - but where the hell is the Cherry?

That's the beverage selection screen. Once you pick a brand of soda, you go to a screen that has the flavors available for that soda. So pick Coke, and then go with regular, or add cherry, vanilla, both, raspberry, orange, lime, etc.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
The pies in the picture look a little undercooked for my taste.

for me, too. see in my own pizza pictures, i demand golden brown and delicious.

also i massively disagree with neapolitan places moving pizzas straight from oven to plate. steams the bottom crust. they should be on a cooling rack 3-4 minutes.

still i think 800 degrees's model is an interesting--and hopeful--one.

bud

what cheese(s) do you guys go for when making pizza at home? the combination of parmesan and mozzarella works best for me.

blackflag

Anyone like Costco pizza? I love that stuff.

I mean, we have Pizza Bianco here, which has been repeatedly called the best pizza in the United States. It is great pizza, but sometimes I just love dat Costco supreme. Know what I'm sayin?

Anyone like Costco pizza? I love that stuff.

I mean, we have Pizza Bianco here, which has been repeatedly called the best pizza in the United States. It is great pizza, but sometimes I just love dat Costco supreme. Know what I'm sayin?

Horrible horrible stuff. I hope this was a joke post.

blackflag

Horrible horrible stuff. I hope this was a joke post.

Wut? No, Costco pizza is awesome. Not if you are wanting a really good high quality gourmet pizza obviously but if you just want a couple pizzas to bring home on a Friday night, it is better than Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, and all those other chains.

Top Bottom