• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

MrBig

One minute in and I already like this better than Indar.

Yes it looks like a very nice change of pace. Mountains everywhere, the bases have all sorts of elevation changes, there are more areas with nicely defined geometry while still having large open areas. looks very very good. Also some wholly different base designs

He'll be doing a patch preview stream with amerish next week

recording of the stream

totWu.jpg

KunZX.jpg

gallery with more screenshots from the stream

Saving up enough certs for the 480 unlocks is just... painful. I don't even have the weapon yet (TR heavy assault mini-chaingun thing) and I'm already suffering buyers remorse. I mean, this thing better be the Planetside gods gift to the heavy assault-man or I'm just gonna sob quietly and use it to carve my name in the walls at the warpgate.

EDIT: The mini-chaingun is a beast. It mows people down close to mid range, and does a good number against long range targets. It does take a second to spin up, so CQC is best left to the repeater. The two available cert upgrades are a laser and an extended mag, making the a beast into a harvester of men and women. I'm glad to see the pay off, but damn it was a long wait.

Chris R

This is really a lot of fun, can't wait to see what the game is like post release with players and support. How much longer will the beta run for?

This is really a lot of fun, can't wait to see what the game is like post release with players and support. How much longer will the beta run for?

I don't know if they'll shut it down before the release date, which is scheduled to happen on Nov. 20th.

mr_nothin

Banned
I don't know if they'll shut it down before the release date, which is scheduled to happen on Nov. 20th.

They actually just posted today that the beta ends on Nov 16 at 11:59pm PDT. I'm not sure if I can go 3 days with no Planetside, I'm going to go crazy :/

Saving up enough certs for the 480 unlocks is just... painful. I don't even have the weapon yet (TR heavy assault mini-chaingun thing) and I'm already suffering buyers remorse. I mean, this thing better be the Planetside gods gift to the heavy assault-man or I'm just gonna sob quietly and use it to carve my name in the walls at the warpgate.

EDIT: The mini-chaingun is a beast. It mows people down close to mid range, and does a good number against long range targets. It does take a second to spin up, so CQC is best left to the repeater. The two available cert upgrades are a laser and an extended mag, making the a beast into a harvester of men and women. I'm glad to see the pay off, but damn it was a long wait.

Well worth it though huh? Long wait isnt so bad when the payoff is good right? I wish to see more of this in the game. Sucks that ppl want the cert gain rate to go up by a lot...some still want it 2-4x FASTER. What the hell?

Desaan

There is just so much wrong with this game and they plant to release it on the 20th November. I don't understand the rush, they make major gameplay and design overhauls at the drop of a hat every other patch, the game seems to be in a constant state of flux. I'll never understand why they just didn't follow the original Planetside's base capture mechanics, the LLUcapture mechanic was one of the best things they introduced in the original, now we are stuck with wack-a-mole capture the point BF/MW type game and you can never win a continent, there is no lockout when you capture the map and there is no other benefit to holding numerous facilities other than resource gain. The bugs, oh god the bugs. So many of them, there is no possible way they will get stuff ironed out before release whilst adding new content, right now there is only 2 continents and I think they plan for 3 on launch, with the game being free to play and continents having population caps things could get very messy.

I really want to see Planetside 2 succeed, but this is SOE afterall and if they are known for anything it's rushing stuff out unfinished and making bad design decisions. Don't even get me started on the cert points and unlocks merry-go-round.

mr_nothin

Banned
There is just so much wrong with this game and they plant to release it on the 20th November. I don't understand the rush, they make major gameplay and design overhauls at the drop of a hat every other patch, the game seems to be in a constant state of flux. I'll never understand why they just didn't follow the original Planetside's base capture mechanics, the LLUcapture mechanic was one of the best things they introduced in the original, now we are stuck with wack-a-mole capture the point BF/MW type game and you can never win a continent, there is no lockout when you capture the map and there is no other benefit to holding numerous facilities other than resource gain. The bugs, oh god the bugs. So many of them, there is no possible way they will get stuff ironed out before release whilst adding new content, right now there is only 2 continents and I think they plan for 3 on launch, with the game being free to play and continents having population caps things could get very messy.

I really want to see Planetside 2 succeed, but this is SOE afterall and if they are known for anything it's rushing stuff out unfinished and making bad design decisions. Don't even get me started on the cert points and unlocks merry-go-round.
Dat Doom & Gloom

Deadly

I'll never understand why they just didn't follow the original Planetside's base capture mechanics, the LLUcapture mechanic was one of the best things they introduced in the original, now we are stuck with wack-a-mole capture the point BF/MW type game.
Yes I knew something was off when I played and captured points! It really wasn't like PS1 that I remembered with the hacking component which was pretty important and fun to boot!

MrBig

patch preview stream recording

Amerish:
Some facilities and their outposts are enclosed by natural terrain and walls
Designed to be a balance between the designs of Esamir and Indar
Some more linear facility and outpost capture point design
Really nice looking water using tessellation/displacement (@ 43:50)

Changes:
Facility/continent benefits are coming next patch
Respawn time increased by 5 seconds
UI font change for better readability
Cert trees restricted by BR
Unlock additional loadout slots via BR
Instant Action drop on your squad leader (same 30 minute cooldown)
Squad spawn beacons no longer take up an item slot once certed in to
Only squad leaders may place squad spawn beacons
Ability to spawn on a squad owned AMS anywhere on the map
S-AMSes may not be deployed within 100 meters of eachother
Experience bonuses for doing actions (revives, resupplies, repair etc) increase based on the type of facility for the defenders
Attackers getting bigger point capture bonuses
Repair tool has a heat and cooldown mechanic
Vehicles you own will have an icon on them
Basis of the mission system will become available in the squad leadership tree
Reduced the amount stationary AA turrets
AA splash damage reduced

Bugfix highlights:
grenades getting stuck fixed
pain fields cleaned up and added back in
fixed lock on rocket AOE damage
some "fall through the world" glitches fixed
Sunderers not allowing you to spawn on them fixed

Future:
tank gunner turret buff
cert for making tanks a driver/gunner set up. For the magrider, they will make the fixed gun be secondary turret and a bigger main turret at gunner position. Tanks certed to use the driver/gunner arrangement will have access to higher power cannons
Interlink facilities, drop ship centers, and brand new facilities on new continents
Underground tunnels
Home continents coming after there are more continents
Seamless continents; sea battles
Re-organization of the command certs
Orbital strikes (post launch)
More capture methods, beyond the basic control point system

After Amerish is out they're stopping work on adding features\major changes and focusing on bugfixing\polish for launch and the following weeks.

I'm feeling better about the 11/20 launch

patch preview stream recording

S-AMSes may not be deployed within 100 meters of eachother
Experience bonuses for doing actions (revives, resupplies, repair etc) increase based on the type of facility for the defenders
Attackers getting bigger point capture bonuses
Repair tool has a heat and cooldown mechanic
Vehicles you own will have an icon on them
Basis of the mission system will become available in the squad leadership tree

Future:
tank gunner turret buff
cert for making tanks a driver/gunner set up. For the magrider, they will make the fixed gun be secondary turret and a bigger main turret at gunner position. Tanks certed to use the driver/gunner arrangement will have access to higher power cannons

I'm feeling better about the 11/20 launch

You and me both, Bigs. The 2 man tank crew coming back without removing what they already have is a deft touch, I like it. I also like how squad leaders continue to get the responsibility they deserve with the addition of the missions and stuff. This is all coming out on the 1st? Hoping it doesn't break the game, cause this is going to be a lot of fun.

EDIT: Turns out the tank stuff and the squad leader things are for much later down the road. Sad face.

Jintor

Just got in tonight and I don't know how to do anything anymore. Got a decent amount of kills just tagging along with a battlegroup that was sweeping the eastern side of the map, but then we got taken apart by a joint vanu/nc attack :T

How do I fly mozzies? I completely forgot how in the last decade or so. Should I hook up my 360 pad?

Just got in tonight and I don't know how to do anything anymore. Got a decent amount of kills just tagging along with a battlegroup that was sweeping the eastern side of the map, but then we got taken apart by a joint vanu/nc attack :T

How do I fly mozzies? I completely forgot how in the last decade or so. Should I hook up my 360 pad?

I have some quick tips for you, applied to all vehicles, with exceptions noted

-turn up vehicle camera sensitivity. All the way.
-T switches between first and third person. Sometimes it doesn't work, unknown why
-G to use any active equipment you have installed - fire extinguishers, flares, etc
-B to deploy and undeploy (mobilize) AMS equipped sunderer (must be stopped)
-Hold middle mouse button to enable "free" look in first person.
-Jump key (space default) raises vehicle towards roof and crouch key lowers vehicle toward bottom. This is important because you can fly upside and use crouch to keep elevation.
-Aim to backdoor enemy tanks when making strafing runs - the default uncerted gun on the skeeter can drop a vanguard to fiery flames in this way.
-Vehicles armor weakest in rear, stronger in front and sides
-Vehicles on fire are disabled and will burn to death unless repaired.
-Disabled vehicles perform poorly so your aircraft will lawn dart once they get disabled.

I haven't used the controller, so I can't speak for it, but the mouse and keyboard work ok for aircraft. The game forces you to reset the mouse to center continuously if you want continuous mouse input, like when performing a loop. In other words, your vehicle input is only sent if the mouse is being moved. There is lots and lots of AA in the game right now, so be cautious if you want to outlast the cooldown on your aircraft. Good luck!

Arksy

Not a fan of the increased spawn timer, rest of the changes seem decent. The tank changes look great. No idea what less AA splash will mean for Air. Was hoping air would become more viable.

mr_nothin

Banned
are they still working on optimization?

Yes.
Now and through the launch and even after that. We should see mostly optimization and bug fix patches from the time the game launches until about a month after that. They'll continuously work on optimizations though.

Not a fan of the increased spawn timer, rest of the changes seem decent. The tank changes look great. No idea what less AA splash will mean for Air. Was hoping air would become more viable.

I'm a huge fan of it and glad they added more to it. They still need to add more time to the spawn timer because having the base benefit where it decreasing it 5 seconds isn't much of a big deal.

Jintor

When you're just wandering around on your own hopping from hotspot to hotspot, not so hot, but the TR and VS are trading blows over some no-nothing base in the SW corner of the map and it's exhilerating, especially when the suns turn to night and you can't see shit until a tank rolls up to your face

MrBig

I was hoping to hop on amerish as soon as I got home today :/

Anyway, they said the patch is done but they're having issues with the client download servers, expect it to be live sometime tonight.

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/264732085300895744

If they have so many issues with a patch (every patch), I have no idea how they feel so confident about launching on the 20th

These beta patches bring huge amounts of changes that have a large amount of variables to account for, of course it doesn't always go as planned. This is the last major patch before launch, the next month or so will all be bugfixing, optimization, and polish so you can probably expect patches to be delivered smoother.

e: servers being brought down for the patch now, few hours of downtime expected. 3.5gb patch up for DL now. Patch notes.

Looking forward to Amerish, the footage I've seen from it looked great. Lots of green, some trees and interesting terrain. Best part is the base layout that was demonstrated in the stream. You can't just role in with tanks and sundies. It will be a funneled layout and infantry plays a more important role.
https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/264732085300895744

If they have so many issues with a patch (every patch), I have no idea how they feel so confident about launching on the 20th
Sigh. It's getting old you know.

mr_nothin

Banned
I was hoping to hop on amerish as soon as I got home today :/

Anyway, they said the patch is done but they're having issues with the client download servers, expect it to be live sometime tonight.

These beta patches bring huge amounts of changes that have a large amount of variables to account for, of course it doesn't always go as planned. This is the last major patch before launch, the next month or so will all be bugfixing, optimization, and polish so you can probably expect patches to be delivered smoother.

e: servers being brought down for the patch now, few hours of downtime expected. 3.5gb patch up for DL now. Patch notes.
These are the best patch notes I've seen since starting the beta! Everything looks soo good. I'm excited for all of the changes!

EDIT:
amerish is live!

EXCITTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr_nothin

Banned
The game feels incredibly smooth now, and amerish is fantastic

Man, this patch makes the previous game look like it was an alpha. So much stuff updated/fixed/polished. Deployed sundys look cool, new medic applicator, new alarm system for low damage on vehicles. AMAZING patch.
Amerish is D: good. Jeez this is sooo good now.

rObit

Banned
Man, this patch makes the previous game look like it was an alpha. So much stuff updated/fixed/polished. Deployed sundys look cool, new medic applicator, new alarm system for low damage on vehicles. AMAZING patch.
Amerish is D: good. Jeez this is sooo good now.

it's just so good

5Eqhk.gif

Can't wait to get this downloaded tonight. Pre-patch it was just right there as my go-to game, but needed a bit more polish/optimization for me to want to sink a ton of time into it. Sounds like this might have tipped it over the edge.

So when is the beta over. Ugggh I'm trying so hard not to invest any time in the beta as I'm looking forward to the full release, but damn is it tempting to hop in.

MrBig

So when is the beta over. Ugggh I'm trying so hard not to invest any time in the beta as I'm looking forward to the full release, but damn is it tempting to hop in.

I'm doing the same thing. Probably won't be touching it again unless something else major happens before release, which is 11/20. Beta ends 11/16.

BTW, people who purchased alpha squad will be able to permanently reserve their name on 11/5 at 7am PDT.

Jintor

• Throwing a grenade on a highly populated server will no longer cause the grenade to explode in your hands.
  • Players will no longer spawn under Sunderers when using quick deploy.

yesssssss

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

I haven't played in a long time for this reason, I was burning myself out.

Quote to see a key

Amerish.... so many beautiful vistas to see, so many freakin' aircraft to shoot down. My buddy and I were just patrolling as a double-burster MAX/engie combo in the mountains on the east side of the map. It was like playing Duck Hunt in HD. The visuals difference in this game between medium and high settings is something every PS2 player should see at least once.

Top Bottom