• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare |OT| Prepare for Gardenful of War

I found this initially intriguing but figured it would turn out to be kind of mediocre. But its looking like I could have been wrong. Hoping for the best!

Rizzi

Do we know how matchmaking is going to work? I was interested in it, but the lack of servers for Titanfall makes me nervous about the fate of this.

Cool, thanks! Was the game smooth and how did it look in person?

It looked like it was running at 60 fps. Using my El Gato, I recorded some of my clips at 1080p while another batch was at 720p. The El Gato can't capture 1080p without lowering the framerate, but it's fine when it's 720p

The embargo just lifted for the video we captured at a multiplayer review event EA hosted yesterday

Here's a four-player Survival Mode. I was grouped with Arthur Gies, Scott Bromley, and another reporter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGw2eB25ktk

And here's the game's "Rush" mode, Gardens and Graveyards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VbvZs4AbT4

derFeef

So the levelling system is like ME3 crate system - thats cool to me.

It looked like it was running at 60 fps. Using my El Gato, I recorded some of my clips at 1080p while another batch was at 720p. The El Gato can't capture 1080p without lowering the framerate, but it's fine when it's 720p

The embargo just lifted for the video we captured at a multiplayer review event EA hosted yesterday

Here's a four-player Survival Mode. I was grouped with Arthur Gies, Scott Bromley, and another reporter:

Cool thanks! Can't wait to play this, seems like pure joy.

Resolution and frame-rate for XB1 version?

60fps
Resolution is unknown, but ...

We also quizzed Lindley about Garden Warfare's native resolution and he gave a coy response. "The Xbox One outputs in 1080p," he said. "I will say we're not running at the same resolution as [Battlefield 4]." Battlefield 4 runs in 720p on Xbox One. It was previously confirmed that Garden Warfare on Xbox One runs at 60fps, though.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pl...h-probably-doesn-t-run-in-1080p/1100-6417864/

Also confirms no microtransactions

This looks like so much fun!

Caayn

Looks fun. But any ideas as to how much content(maps/weapons) there's in the game? I'm a bit hesitant to drop $40 on this.

Impossiburu

Neo Member
Just got off a call with other press and producer Brian Lindley. He confirmed that the game runs internally at 900p on Xbox One, outputs to 1080p at 60fps.

Looks fun. But any ideas as to how much content(maps/weapons) there's in the game? I'm a bit hesitant to drop $40 on this.

"Over 10" so maybe 11-12 maps. I believe each class has three special abilities aside from their primary "weapon",but more can be unlocked by completing challenges.

It feels like a lot of love went into this game. Look at that damn install screen. I'd love a PC demo, even just one match to see how it plays.

levemir

Banned
I really really hope there's a demo for this. I know I will enjoy it but I want the player base to be big so it's worth the purchase. I love multiplayer games with classes and special abilities. Pretty crazy how MS has exclusive rights to split screen, has anything like that happened before?

This is one of the titles that sold my wife on the XB1. She loves Pop Cap games (especially PvZ) and we are continuing to try to game more as a family. Even though a lot of my attention will be on Titanfall and inFamous this month, we do plan on spending some time with PvZ:GW too :)

I hope more people buy this and Pop Cap continues with their plan to support this game with more creative free DLC. Please buy this game, Xbone Gaffers!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Looks interesting and something we could play as a family. But it does look a little complicated, hope it is all straightforward when you play it.

Has it been confirmed for PS4 or just assumed to be a timed exclusive?

bombshell

Looks interesting and something we could play as a family. But it does look a little complicated, hope it is all straightforward when you play it.

Has it been confirmed for PS4 or just assumed to be a timed exclusive?

They specifically said "play it first on Xbox and PC" in the recent trailer.

Caayn

Looking at some of the gameplay vids on the marketplace and only then did I notice the individual strands that make up the grass. Even with the compression it looks good.

Really thought that it was released on the 21th :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

I like how she called special attention to all the personality the characters have.

People keep mentioning that this feels like a cheaper download, or that it doesn't do anything particularly special graphically, but I think the amount of personality and detail design is one of the most striking things about it.

Smaller games get to this level, sure, but often with like... a single playable character, with one set look, or some other tradeoff of interactive content. Surely not 8 separate, wholly unique player models that then have at least 3 looks with modified skills and abilities on top of that.

Compare it to something like Titanfall, where the Titans have very nice animation, and some wonderful takedowns... but the human characters are as plain as they come. It's like everyone basically becomes the same faceless operative, as if every character is Storm 1 in EDF. And there's even very little to differentiate the designs of each faction. It's mostly down to light patterns and a few color tone differences in textures... They have different details if you REALLY look at them, but nothing that makes them strikingly different, such as different silhouettes, animations, or any strikingly unique characteristics.

It's all the reason why this game stuck out to me pretty strongly at E3. While so much of GAF was gushing over more polys and higher default resolutions being added on top of games that offered the same production and character style of most modern games, I was pretty let down by the fact that most next-gen games looked as if they all offered reskins of experiences that could be had with SO many already-released games.

But GW felt pretty special; More akin to seeing a bunch of platform mascot characters come together, and star in a collaborative game. That "Every Character is the Main Star!" feeling that makes Smash Bros. so appealing.

This seeps right into the gameplay; even if there are different classes, they all present themselves with something that sounds very powerful and fun to use (Charge beams, Jackhammer speed dash, Instant-kill stealth chomping, etc). The kind of thing that has one calling out roles and classes even before they get their hands on the game.

And the sound design compliments this as well; character have memorable, unique effects that'll let you know who is approaching, what they're doing, and even what died when you kill them. It's again an element that is more usual to the platformer or adventure genres, but often overlooked in modern multiplayer-focused gaming.

I hope this willingness to release MP only (or SP only) games for a variety of pricepoints becomes a staple of this console gen. Games that put all their resources into focusing on a single idea, and fleshing it out in layers of refinement. Much like this game, I'm more willing to buy a game with a presentation I like, but a genre I largely ignore, when presented with a less expensive barrier of entry. Let the $20 price difference go towards buying a whole 'nother game, rather than paying for a mode that will be forgotten once everyone digs into the meat of the experience.

Since this upcoming Tuesday has some pretty big releases (and the next month), I was initially going to pass on this and pick up LoS2 and Thief instead. However, after seeing the disappointment that Thief may be, I'm going to pick this up in its place. Looks like a ton of fun and isn't in the same vein of an FPS as Titanfall, CoD, Battlefield, Halo, etc.

If anyone wants someone to play with on Tuesday when this drops, feel free to add me on XBL - my GT is l(lowercase L)d3ntity

It's boggling my mind that split-screen, something I search desperately for in games I'm interested in, is an XBOX One exclusive.

Yeah that's not cool. I will avoid this game cause I don't want to support selling your game modes to the highest bidder. Not cool

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah that's not cool. I will avoid this game cause I don't want to support selling your game modes to the highest bidder. Not cool

That's not what's going on at all. It's a cross gen game, and it was easier to add in split-screen to a system that has substantial power, without needing to par down the graphics and mechanics in order to provide split-screen. They mention this in a few places. Splitscreen isn't just a switch that instantly works. It's something that can be very complex to add into a game.

And why none on PC? Because generally, Split-screen is a console-focused feature. You'll notice that most games that have the feature on PC are of console-origin.

Let's also not forget that the version with this additional feature (and Smartglass play for a 3rd player) also cost $10 more than any other version soon releasing.

For a game coming out at a budget price, promising free DLC for months going forward (including characters, maps, and game modes), making generous amounts of unlockables earnable in gameplay, and putting a decent budget behind NOT being a brown-toned, color void me-too gritty game, people really harp on anything to ignore all the positives that are on display with this product.

EA might have done a lot of scummy things, but don't let it blind you of the product that sits before you, and it's own intrinsic qualities.

Camjo-Z

I always like when devs are willing to do something a little more cartoony with multiplayer shooters, Gotham City Impostors seems like the only one recently that attempted it. Eager to see if this one lives up to expectations, I think I'll get all my assignments done tonight for an all-out binge on Tuesday!

Looking forward to the simplified 'rush' game mode in this.

Probably be better then the version in BF4. Although, I'll have to wait till it hits the ps4.

Nice job, derFeef! Here's a few gifs I made a while back at the reveal:

ibrZhpy4S2Qqkk.gif

ibbMVhHN31sdnY.gif

itWH87DtFsJl.gif

Best reveal of the E3 EA Presser.

Top Bottom