• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lmao, what an amazing themesong. Now I need to see the MGR Mistral fight with "Tomorrow is Mine"

Edit: We need a new poll. Bayo 2 is better than Bayo 1.

Ushiwaka

Bite the bullet on the $350 sunset overdrive XBO? Ugh, I wish we had more info on scalebound.

I guess more (permanent) price cuts will be on the way. MS got nothing to lose, and its a long way until Scalebound's release, so I say wait for better opportunities.

Edit: We need a new poll. Bayo 2 is better than Bayo 1.

Yeah we need a new one. Best OST sounds fine but I feel if we are going to pick something out of Platinum titles and add games as we go on, we are going to end up with a very long poll.

Any ideas other than best OST?
or we could go with no poll at all. that is an option too.

Nemmy

I guess more (permanent) price cuts will be on the way. MS got nothing to lose, and its a long way until Scalebound's release, so I say wait for better opportunities.

That's what I'm doing. I have both X1 and PS4 very far on the to-buy list, they still have so few games I'm interested in it's not funny anymore.
It's crazy we still know absolutely nothing about Scalebound.

Yeah we need a new one. Best OST sounds fine but I feel if we are going to pick something out of Platinum titles and add games as we go on, we are going to end up with a very long poll.

Any ideas other than best OST?
or we could go with no poll at all. that is an option too.

Holy shit, best OST would be an even tougher call than favourite game for me. Something like "favourite playable character" could be fun I think (I really like most P* characters but I hear they're terrible all the time >.>) but it would end up stupidly long as well, even if we excluded MGR and Korra.
So I'd say let's get rid of the poll unless someone comes up with a really cool idea that won't make the poll eat up the whole browser window.

Coda

That's what I'm doing. I have both X1 and PS4 very far on the to-buy list, they still have so few games I'm interested in it's not funny anymore.
It's crazy we still know absolutely nothing about Scalebound.

Holy shit, best OST would be an even tougher call than favourite game for me. Something like "favourite playable character" could be fun I think (I really like most P* characters but I hear they're terrible all the time >.>) but it would end up stupidly long as well, even if we excluded MGR and Korra.
So I'd say let's get rid of the poll unless someone comes up with a really cool idea that won't make the poll eat up the whole browser window.

Yeah, not having any Scalebound info is rough. I just bought a PS4 for Bloodborne and Guilty Gear Xrd (plus for some cool looking imports around the corner).

So unfortunately I don't think I'm going to buy an Xbox One at this point if ever. It may be the first Platinum game I won't be able to play and it's gonna bum me out regardless (especially if it's freakin amazing), but there's no way I'm owning 3 out of the 3 next gen consoles. That's just excessive to me.

antibolo

Banned
Yeah, not having any Scalebound info is rough. I just bought a PS4 for Bloodborne and Guilty Gear Xrd (plus for some cool looking imports around the corner).

So unfortunately I don't think I'm going to buy an Xbox One at this point if ever. It may be the first Platinum game I won't be able to play and it's gonna bum me out regardless (especially if it's freakin amazing), but there's no way I'm owning 3 out of the 3 next gen consoles. That's just excessive to me.

Yeah I also don't see myself ever buying an Xbox One, it's just too redundant with the PS4 considering how similar they are. And I already have like 15 consoles in my apartment right now lol.

Still, I wish Platinum the best with Scalebound.

Lernaean

Banned
I just bit and bought an X1, now owning all consoles. Yes, i know i'm a victim.
In my defence, i'm interested in a handful of its exclusives apart from Scalebound.

Ushiwaka

Best boss fight is a good idea... we should pick some boss fights (5 maybe?) to include in the poll. So we are picking the best out of the best :D

Now, which boss fights should we put in the poll?

====

I was convinced to buy an X1, but games like Rime, Wild, and The Tomorrow Children stole my heart. Damn those robo-dino stuff from Guerrilla looks awesome too (if they turn out to be real, which I hope they do). Xbox One literally has just one game that I'm into and that is a Platinum exclusive. This is Wii U all over again.
We could hope for a PC port or that MS streaming service, but a heavily price cut X1 will be there if none of these happen.

Regiruler

Best boss fight is a good idea... we should pick some boss fights (5 maybe?) to include in the poll. So we are picking the best out of the best :D

Now, which boss fights should we put in the poll?

How about each game gets 2-3 nominations?
For W101: Jergingha and Diejeah
For Metal Gear Rising: Monsoon, Sundowner (shut up cheaters), and Armstrong

Ushiwaka

How about each game gets 2-3 nominations?
For W101: Jergingha and Diejeah
For Metal Gear Rising: Monsoon, Sundowner (shut up cheaters), and Armstrong

I think that would end up being longer than the OST poll :p

Just memorable boss fights, and just one from each game. Like:

Jeanne (Bayonetta)
Senator Armstrong (Metal Gear Rising)
etc..

And we don't have to include ALL PG titles. If a game doesn't have a good or memorable boss fight (like Korra, imo) we will not include that game in the poll.

Golnei

Maybe something with multiple rounds would work best, considering the options available. Perhaps a poll for the best boss in each applicable game, followed by one consisting of the finalists?

Nemmy

Yeah, there's really like one proper boss in Korra and it's kind of nothing.

My nominations (still missing the WiiU games but oh well):
Bayo - Father Rodin
Vanquish - double Bogey
MGR - Armstrong, though that was a tough call.

Anarchy Reigns gets no mention, I liked some of the fights in that game, but I wouldn't list any of them as super memorable.

Xbox One literally has just one game that I'm into and that is a Platinum exclusive. This is Wii U all over again.
We could hope for a PC port or that MS streaming service, but a heavily price cut X1 will be there if none of these happen.

Half a year ago I'd say "eh, not a chance" but then Ryse came to PC, and only recently there was a rumour about Sunset Overdrive. And it got me thinking that buying an Xbone for (one!) exclusive title is a risky business if the trend continues, even if you can afford to go crazy with your consoles like that. Sure, a lot of things may change before Scalebound is released, but I'd gladly wait for a PC port if it's ever an option.

Nemmy

Let's be honest now, if we do a Best Boss poll, Armstrong will win by a landslide.

Yeah, though it would be mostly for the meme-able lines and hilarious antics, and not necessarily intricate mechanics. He's still my fave in MGR, but eh.
Then again, "spectacle over depth" is my main complaint with most of Bayonetta's bosses as well. I miss the original DMC in this regard.

antibolo

Banned
Yeah, though it would be mostly for the meme-able lines and hilarious antics, and not necessarily intricate mechanics. He's still my fave in MGR, but eh.
Then again, "spectacle over depth" is my main complaint with most of Bayonetta's bosses as well. I miss the original DMC in this regard.

I thought the Armstrong fight was interesting at a technical level as well.

Ushiwaka

My nominations:
Jeanne (Bayonetta)
Crystal Viper (Vanquish)
Senator Armstrong (MGR)

so up until now we have:

Father Rodin (Bayo) - 1 point
Jeanne (Bayo) - 1 point
Double Bogey (Vanquish) - 1 point
Crystal Viper (Vanquish) - 1 point
Senator Armstrong (MGR) - 2 points
Masked Lumen (Bayo 2) - 1 point

Right? anything I missed? I keep updating the list and we choose the boss fights with the most points from each game to be in the poll. Remember, you can choose only one boss from each game.

===

Maybe something with multiple rounds would work best, considering the options available. Perhaps a poll for the best boss in each applicable game, followed by one consisting of the finalists?

That would take waaay too long imo. I say we keep this poll simple and in one go. If anyone has a different opinion on this, please share :)

Half a year ago I'd say "eh, not a chance" but then Ryse came to PC, and only recently there was a rumour about Sunset Overdrive. And it got me thinking that buying an Xbone for (one!) exclusive title is a risky business if the trend continues, even if you can afford to go crazy with your consoles like that. Sure, a lot of things may change before Scalebound is released, but I'd gladly wait for a PC port if it's ever an option.

Yeah, the possibility is there. I mean, if Fable III can make its way to PC, I think any Xbox exclusive can. Microsoft owns the Fable IP and Lionhead studios, so there's no "MS owned IPs won't come to PC" argue here. Hopefully, we will see a PC release of Scalebound :)

Hypron

Yeah. I found him more interesting from a gameplay perspective than pretty much any other Platinum final boss. He's the perfect blend of spectacle and interesting gameplay. Furthermore, the build up to the final phase of the fight is absolutely outstanding. I was in awe during the whole thing.

Even when looking at non-final bosses, I find him more fun to play against than Balder and Jeanne which are the best bosses in their respective games.

Otherwise if I had to nominate bosses from other games, I'd nominate the masked lumen from Bayo 2.

Nemmy

It absolutely was (shame they kinda broke him in the DLC), I just don't think of it as Platinum's best (that would probably be Rodin).
Though I would have liked Sam fight more if it wasn't for the stupid obligatory phase where you knock the sword out of his hand so he gets two moves instead of ten and starts dancing around you instead of fighting. I just really love fights against opponents closely matching my own character's abilities.

Even when looking at non-final bosses, I find him more fun to play against than Balder and Jeanne which are the best bosses in their respective games.

I actually kind of hate Balder, but that's only because of the QTEs that break the fight every half a minute. They grow old really fast, and make replaying the fight multiple times in a row really boring.

These are my favorite ones in order..

Sam - The premise of the fight is just epic. Its meaningful and thought proving ^^

Armstrong - BGM. and This fight tests dodge offset and parrying skills.

Double Bogey - Err.. Gameplay wise wonderful design. and Tough.

Though I would have liked Sam fight more if it wasn't for the stupid obligatory phase where you knock the sword out of his hand so he gets two moves instead of ten and starts dancing around you instead of fighting. I just really love fights against opponents closely matching my own character's abilities.

I think that phase is not obligatory. You can go on and fight till you defet him without having to knock out his sword. The first time i defeated him I didnt do any QTE till the end of the battle.

Lernaean

Banned
Masked Lumen (Bayo 2) - 1 point

Right? anything I missed?

Maybe. Masked Lumen gets a point from me as well.

And anyway. As i said, any boss fight poll without W101 fights makes little sense, as we are talking about possibly the best boss fights of all PG games.

I mean Lethal Diejeah, most Goojin fights and Jergingha are some of the best fights you can find in games in general, and there are other very notable battles in the game also.

W101 suffers in some places, from the steep learning curve, to the very unique artstyle that is doomed to appeal to few, to the unstable framerate, that makes exceptional pieces, like the Prince Vorkken fights, (which are the best imo to test yourself, as the enemy is a copy of yourself) totally unpleasant due to slowdowns. But there is no way you can play this game and not notice the ingenuity of the encounter structure, especially during boss fights.

Bayonetta 2 is pretty much cemented as my favorite of all PG entries, and still the boss fights can't hold a candle to W101 fights.

Hopefully, we will see a PC release of Scalebound :)

No port-begging Ushi ;-P

Nemmy

I think that phase is not obligatory. You can go on and fight till you defet him without having to knock out his sword. The first time i defeated him I didnt do any QTE till the end of the battle.

I have no idea how you did it :( I actively tried to avoid this phase several times, but from a certain point in his HP onwards the game would spam me with the Blade Mode prompt on every occasion, and it seemed like he got a defense boost or something because I could barely damage him. So I just gave up on trying to fight the system :(

Ushiwaka

These are my favorite ones in order..

Sam - The premise of the fight is just epic. Its meaningful and thought proving ^^

Armstrong - BGM. and This fight tests dodge offset and parrying skills.

Only one boss from each game >.<

And anyway. As i said, any boss fight poll without W101 fights makes little sense, as we are talking about possibly the best boss fights of all PG games.

Then pick the boss fight you think is the best out of TW101 boss fights, as a nomination for the poll :p

No port-begging Ushi ;-P

>.< I'm just "hoping". You can't take hope away from a man :(

Akiller

Forgot to post this
B1Rfv06CAAAs69R.jpg

My body is finally ready guys,tomorrow is mine. Add me on WiiU, P*GAF!
My NNID is Achiller.

Only one boss from each game >.<

Oh.. didnt know that. Then Sam it its. :D and Father Rodin from Bayonetta instead of Armstrong.

I have no idea how you did it :( I actively tried to avoid this phase several times, but from a certain point in his HP onwards the game would spam me with the Blade Mode prompt on every occasion, and it seemed like he got a defense boost or something because I could barely damage him. So I just gave up on trying to fight the system :(

I am not sure how i did it either. But im certain you can do it. ^^ To get the QTE prompt you need to meet some condition actually, I didnt meet it so QTE didnt prompt for me. Atleast thats what i think.

Most of the QTEs in between all boss fights can be avoided one way or the other.

Ushiwaka

Ok, the list so far:

Father Rodin (Bayo) - 2 points
Jeanne (Bayo) - 1 point
Double Bogey (Vanquish) - 2 points
Sam (MGR) - 1 point
Masked Lumen (Bayo 2) - 3 points

Why you guys don't like the Jeanne boss fight? :( That fight was goddamn amazing. Even more amazing than Father Rodin imo. That rocket riding scene was awesome. Maybe the forced Space Harrier part makes people like the Jeanne boss fight less ._.

Actually you can. Governments do it all the time.

Heh, I can actually relate to this sentence more than you could imagine.

Keasar

I'll chip in for Jeanne.

Bayonetta - Jeanne, 3rd fight.
Bayonetta 2 - Masked Lumen and Temperentia.
Metal Gear Rising - Sam closely, closely followed by Armstrong.
Vanquish - Bogey Alpha and Bravo.
The Wonderful 101 - Jergingha.

Hypron

I actually kind of hate Balder, but that's only because of the QTEs that break the fight every half a minute. They grow old really fast, and make replaying the fight multiple times in a row really boring.

Ha oops sorry I was talking about
the masked lumen
(Bayo 2 spoiler). Yeah sorry about that.

Nemmy

Why you don't you guys like the Jeanne boss fight? :( That fight was goddamn amazing. Even more amazing than Father Rodin imo. That rocket riding scene was awesome. Maybe the forced Space Harrier part makes people like the Jeanne boss fight less ._.

I can only speak for myself, but liking another fight more is not the same as not liking it at all ;) I really like Jeanne 3, Space Harrier or not, but at the end of the day, I always prefer a boss fight that is just me and the boss and no-bullshit whacking away at each other's faces till one is dead to one that is broken up with cutscenes and QTEs.

This is my peeve with the whole spectacle going on in PG's games. I love it the first time around, it makes me jump in my chair and scream in excitement (well, not always, but RULES OF NATURE sure did), but then in the long run it sometimes really hurts replayability and/or depth of the encounters.
I also really love bitching about little things in stuff I generally love :p

Ushiwaka

Bayonetta 2 - Masked Lumen and Temperentia.

Only one boss from each game .__.

I can only speak for myself, but liking another fight more is not the same as not liking it at all ;) I really like Jeanne 3, Space Harrier or not, but at the end of the day, I always prefer a boss fight that is just me and the boss and no-bullshit whacking away at each other's faces till one is dead to one that is broken up with cutscenes and QTEs.

This is my peeve with the whole spectacle going on in PG's games. I love it the first time around, it makes me jump in my chair and scream in excitement (well, not always, but RULES OF NATURE sure did), but then in the long run it sometimes really hurts replayability and/or depth of the encounters.
I also really love bitching about little things in stuff I generally love :p

Well, QTEs in Bayo were annoying sometimes, but they were never a major problem to me. QTEs in MGR were mostly fun. I can understand why you (and most people) don't like them and how it can hurt replayability, but I think in this case I'm in the minority who don't have a problem with QTEs in PG titles.

Nemmy

Well, QTEs in Bayo were annoying sometimes, but they were never a major problem to me. QTEs in MGR were mostly fun. I can understand why you (and most people) don't like them and how it can hurt replayability, but I think in this case I'm in the minority who don't have a problem with QTEs in PG titles.

I actually never had a problem with instakill QTEs in Bayo that everyone complains about as they can be all memorized and become a non-issue in repeated playthroughs (I had my rank ruined by a failed QTE I forgot about exactly once in like 200 hours). MGR pissed me off with randomized ones (that chopper at the end of Jetstream DLC, GOD I HATE IT SO MUCH), but I must admit Platinum knows how to make a QTE that matches the feel of the fight (did you know some of them are fake btw? I still mash in those because I'm pumped lol). Even in Korra, the finisher
on the last boss when you slam him with all elements one by one in Avatar state
shows they mastered them, each prompt actually fit what was happening on the screen perfectly.

Like I said, my only problem is that they come with unskippable cutscenes and become boring when overdone. I'd welcome a global "disable QTEs" option in PG games - it could unlock after the first playthough for example and I'd be happy.

Regiruler

Only one boss from each game .__.

W101 had godlike QTEs though, because for the most part you knew which to draw through foreshadowing and various prompts (including yelling the goddamn command), and timing was generous.

Ushiwaka

===

Jeanne (Bayo) - 2 point
Double Bogey (Vanquish) - 3 points
Sam (MGR) - 2 point
Masked Lumen (Bayo 2) - 4 points
Jergingha (TW101) - 1 point

We need a tie breaker for Jeanne-Father Rodin and Sam-Armstrong.
ARMSTRONG NEEDS TO BE IN THE POLL PEOPLE! :D

MGR - Armstrong
TW101 - Diekuu Ohrowchee
Bayo2 - Masked Lumen

A shame we can't put more of each game, I'd put pretty much all TW101 bosses.

Also watch Bayo2's final boss getting exactly zero mentions. :D

[–]samfivedot 2 points 7 hours ago
Do you guys have any plans for more games based on licensed properties? Personally I'd love to see Platinum make a game about Fist of the North Star or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
[–]Shirahama_Platinum 2 points 7 hours ago
We have a lot of fans of Fist of the North Star and Jojo at the office, so if we were to be given the chance to make games in those series, we would consider ourselves very lucky :)

Holy shit. I'll die out of excitement if they make a Jojo game.

Ushiwaka

Jeanne (Bayo) - 3 point
Double Bogey (Vanquish) - 4 points
Senator Armstrong (MGR) - 3 points
Sam (MGR) - 3 points
Masked Lumen (Bayo 2) - 5 points
Jergingha (TW101) - 1 point
Diekuu Ohrowchee (TW101) - 1 point
Ohdarko (TW101) - 1 point

OK, I will PM a mod for a poll change exactly 24 hours from now, so those who didn't post their nominations, there is only one day left to do so.

We need a tie breaker for Sam-Armstrong and the three bosses from TW101.
And please people someone break the ties cause I don't know what to do if you don't.

Top Bottom