• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

antibolo

Banned
How exactly do you get a good rating in the demo anyway? Best I've done so far is Silver.

And I still don't understand how ratings work in the original game.

Akiller

10388640_921756994505883_8396073179430901795_n.jpg

By Alex Ahad (SkullGirls)

popyea

A really nice reference to MGR in Bayo 2 XD

Mine arrived today and I'm loving it.

There's also a reference to W101. They already wrote stuff in that game that linked the universe with Bayonetta's, but they've now got a 2-way link. I like that Platinum just have fun with lore and aren't precious about it being taken seriously.

There's also a reference to W101. They already wrote stuff in that game that linked the universe with Bayonetta's, but they've now got a 2-way link. I like that Platinum just have fun with lore and aren't precious about it being taken seriously.

You know what, you´re right. One of the advantages of baseline P* games being so lighthearted is all the cameos they can include. Not like they can't make more self-contained and (comparatively!) more serious games like MGR when they get a license that's more suited to it. Yes, MGR has its own brand of humor like mariachi Raiden and Armstrong's antics, but these are more akin to MGS's type of humour and therefore fit the setting more.

Lernaean

Banned
Finished my first playthrough of Bayonetta 2 this morning (i absolutelly played nothin on Friday, as my brother visited and we took turns on TEW XD).
It's not short, and it's full of awesome encounters, but it kinda falls on the easy side. Easy as easy for PG veterans i mean. It just feels easier than Bayonetta 1.
For those interested, Bayonetta 2, not being a Kamiya game, has less filler stages and those it has are far more interesting and fun to play than those in the first game.

I still have to completelly figure out the audio and visual queues, especially for the new enemies, so no PP/no damage runs yet, got an average of gold, but it was a rushed run, i'll make up for that.

Game is a solid 9/10 for me, and i'm very glad it exists.
Why no 10, you may ask. I have a very hard time giving 10s, and maybe i'll change my mind later, as i have only played Story Mode, but if i may add, it's the best PG game to date, easily.

As for GOTY. Can't decide yet. I'm a huge fan of PG and stylish character action game in general, and i'm a huge Mikami/RE/Action Horror fan as well.
Between Bayonetta 2 and its most impressive gameplay, beautiful and colorful art direction, familiar yet amazing encounters, better than usual (for PG) story, and almost great performance (9/10), and TEW and it's familiar yet great gameplay, phenomenal atmosphere and geniously creepy design, environment, trap and encounter ingenuity, a story with many references to Mikami's other works, but to others as well, combined to make one of the most interesting tales ever told, imo, and almost good performance (PC - 8/10), i can't really decide.
It will take many playthroughs to fully experience the full package from both games, there is also additional content coming for TEW, and some performance patches hopefully, so I'll reserve my judgement for later.

These 2 games are both not just the best games this year, but two of the best games of all time imo.
Play them both and you can't go wrong.
This month is the best month this year easily.

popyea

Finished my first playthrough of Bayonetta 2 this morning (i absolutelly played nothin on Friday, as my brother visited and we took turns on TEW XD).
It's not short, and it's full of awesome encounters, but it kinda falls on the easy side. Easy as easy for PG veterans i mean. It just feels easier than Bayonetta 1.
For those interested, Bayonetta 2, not being a Kamiya game, has less filler stages and those it has are far more interesting and fun to play than those in the first game.

Are you playing on 2nd or 3rd climax? I heard a few reviewers say that 2nd climax is easier than normal from the first game, and that 3rd climax is closer to it. Because of that I opted for 3rd, and I think it's like normal + 25%. It reminds me of MGR's hard, which was more moderate than Bayo 1's hard. I'm dying way more than my first playthrough of Bayonetta anyway; mostly to bosses. My chapter death record is 32 continues :p

Nemmy

Thanks for the spoiler-free impressions, Lerny! If Bayo 2 is better than the original (and thank fuck for less filler!), well let me just say my hype intensifies to the moon.

Lernaean

Banned
Are you playing on 2nd or 3rd climax? I heard a few reviewers say that 2nd climax is easier than normal from the first game, and that 3rd climax is closer to it. Because of that I opted for 3rd, and I think it's like normal + 25%. It reminds me of MGR's hard, which was more moderate than Bayo 1's hard. I'm dying way more than my first playthrough of Bayonetta anyway; mostly to bosses. My chapter death record is 32 continues :p

Played 2nd Climax on my first playthrough, which was easier than B1 Normal, and now i'm halfway through 3rd Climax, which is still easier than hard on B1.
If i'm not wrong there's one more difficulty level.
You are not wrong. 3rd Climax is like Normal+, maybe less forgiving, but not too hard still.

antibolo

Banned
I went straight to 3rd climax because I assumed it was the "Normal" for this game if it used the standard Platinum nomenclature.

Lernaean

Banned
I went straight to 3rd climax because I assumed it was the "Normal" for this game if it used the standard Platinum nomenclature.

Based on the description, Normal was 2nd, and it is, but it's easier than standard normal.
3rd Climax is harder than B1 normal, but isn't really considered 'Hard'.
Will finish 3rd Climax later tonight, or tomorrow morning as real life calls, but i can't wait to start my 'Infinite Climax' playthrough.

Edit: finished 3rd Climax too.
It's crazy, i played 9 verses from 2nd and all of 3rd just today >.<
Also started some Infinite Climax (2 verses). IC is brutal, not too much because it's hard, but because it's one fuckup and your scoring goes rock bottom.
Ofc the scoring is very unforgiving in general, even in 3rd Climax.
I generally did better on 3rd than i did on 2nd, but a couple of verses, with 1-2 deaths each, and my scoring went stone and bronze even though i had G/P/PP trophies on individual encounters.
Taking a day or two off now, as my already useless tendon just became plain dead :p

Coda

Based on the description, Normal was 2nd, and it is, but it's easier than standard normal.
3rd Climax is harder than B1 normal, but isn't really considered 'Hard'.
Will finish 3rd Climax later tonight, or tomorrow morning as real life calls, but i can't wait to start my 'Infinite Climax' playthrough.

Edit: finished 3rd Climax too.
It's crazy, i played 9 verses from 2nd and all of 3rd just today >.<
Also started some Infinite Climax (2 verses). IC is brutal, not too much because it's hard, but because it's one fuckup and your scoring goes rock bottom.
Ofc the scoring is very unforgiving in general, even in 3rd Climax.
I generally did better on 3rd than i did on 2nd, but a couple of verses, with 1-2 deaths each, and my scoring went stone and bronze even though i had G/P/PP trophies on individual encounters.
Taking a day or two off now, as my already useless tendon just became plain dead :p

I can't imagine the insane amount of dodging you'd have to do to keep up. I'm just obtaining the last weapons in 2nd climax and then starting a playthrough of 3rd Climax with Jeanne. I like the high reward factor of her witch time.

Got it friday but still haven't played it. Was hoping to play it over the Weekend, but work+school got in the way, also wanted to at least finish my first playthough of the Evil Within. Why's reality gotta keep me down? =(

Got it friday but still haven't played it. Was hoping to play it over the Weekend, but work+school got in the way, also wanted to at least finish my first playthough of the Evil Within. Why's reality gotta keep me down? =(

Are you me

Actually no, you can't be, I'm not in school anymore

This is literally my exact situation, though. I feel your pain. Reality is a bitch.

Nemmy

Are you me

Actually no, you can't be, I'm not in school anymore

This is literally my exact situation, though. I feel your pain. Reality is a bitch.

Reality is a bitch when it forces you to postpone a console purchase and you end up having the game but not the hardware to play it on :< (and no time to play either)

antibolo

Banned
This thread got very little Korra discussion between its release and B2's, what happened?

I pre-ordered the game but have yet to touch it. But the reviews for it are pretty bad so I'm a bit scared.

Lernaean

Banned
This thread got very little Korra discussion between its release and B2's, what happened?

I pre-ordered the game but have yet to touch it. But the reviews for it are pretty bad so I'm a bit scared.

Korra is not a bad game, and can be pretty fun when you have all the skills.
It's just that it's not a very good game either (easily the weakest entry from PG), it looks and feels very cheap (and that's not PG's fault), and is overshadowed by the beast that is Bayonetta 2.
Right now i don't touch it at all, but it will be a good game to go back to on a dead period.

Nemmy

It's not nearly as bad as the reviews claim it to be, a 7/10 like I said earlier in the thread already.
The combat is fun (and gets remarkably better in NG+ when the game stops locking content away from you for once), offers a lot of options and is all about charging moves mid-combo, which is a quick way to win my heart <3. There are some bad parts, namely the awful story (though as I understand PG had nothing to do with it), bland levels, dat usual PG camera issues and awful running segments, but the meat of the game is still PG goodness. As long as your expectations are appropriate for a budget title, you most likely won't be disappointed.
If you're a fan of the show, it is a wasted license in the sense that you could make a much richer game, in all aspects, based on the Avatar franchise. But not with this kind of time and budget.

Nemmy

Honestly speaking, I'm not sure if I'd like to see what the modding community would most likely do with Bayonetta.

That said, Bayonetta PC could come out in ten years and still be day zero.

Lernaean

Banned
Well he and JP re-tweeted a tweet reply from a Valve employee recently asking for Vanquish from Sega on the Valkyria Chronicles PC announcement on twitter. (It's the employee there on the picture.)

Well, if Vanquish is coming on PC as well, it's great news. And if it is to happen it will need Sega's approval, and some poor soul to port it.
If PG is working on the port then it's great news.
But still, don't get over-excited. It's the secret for less disappointment in life.

Nemmy

Well, if Vanquish is coming on PC as well, it's great news. And if it is to happen it will need Sega's approval, and some poor soul to port it.
If PG is working on the port then it's great news.
But still, don't get over-excited. It's the secret for less disappointment in life.

That's what I always tell people who bitch about me being pessimistic :D

If a Vanquish port was to be made then PG is definitely THE studio to do it, I trust them completely after MGR in this regard. I just hope getting Vanquish to run in 60fps wouldn't be RE4-level of hard to do, and we wouldn't end up with a locked framerate or something.

Nemmy

Ok guys, I'm doing this just because I promised you to do a Korra combo video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbAjVDjobmY

Please don't laugh at my poor skills or
my toaster PC ;__; the poor thing is just old ;___;

The bastard killed me at 199 T__T like the 20 fps I was getting from my PC was not tormenting enough.

My only complaint would be a little more variation wouldn't hurt. It kind of felt like you were out of ideas and just cycled through the elements at times (though it might as well be the fault of Korra's combo strings all starting the same). It's good to see I'm not the only one who always ends up having enemies escape from that fire flurry of kicks, lol.

Having spent years on a shit tier PC, I can honestly say I sympathize ;)

My only complaint would be a little more variation wouldn't hurt. It kind of felt like you were out of ideas and just cycled through the elements at times (though it might as well be the fault of Korra's combo strings all starting the same). It's good to see I'm not the only one who always ends up having enemies escape from that fire flurry of kicks, lol.

Yeah, there's only so much you can do with Korra's combos, sadly. If that wasn't obvious by itself, playing the ridiculously free-form and combo-meaty Bayo2 makes it painfully more so.

Weird, I didn't remember that Vanquish wasn't 60 fps. All I remember is that the game looked gorgeous.

I felt much the same. I think so much was going on and so much of it was a blur to begin with that I didn't even think about it until later. Only in retrospect did I realize the whole thing was 25-30 fps with dips.

Ushiwaka

Yeah I didn't think all combos through, lol.

I honestly didn't think my PC would go all toaster for Korra. If Bayonetta PC ever becomes a reality, I hope my PC can handle it.

Yeah, there's only so much you can do with Korra's combos, sadly. If that wasn't obvious by itself, playing the ridiculously free-form and combo-meaty Bayo2 makes it painfully more so.

I have to agree, sadly.

BBboy20

I suppose I should keep playing and yet in the last two days I've been watching recorded TV just so I don't have to be reminded that Bayo's new adventure is now over...*sigh*

Thanks for the spoiler-free impressions, Lerny! If Bayo 2 is better than the original (and thank fuck for less filler!), well let me just say my hype intensifies to the moon.
That's because B2 is now The Queen of Games at this point. It has become the game to beat.

Top Bottom